• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 08•18-20•17 - Dolled up Deadpool & Nick Fury team up, get Logan (not that one)

The Movie Pass is just a MasterCard.

You use the app which lists the theaters/movies
You check-in to the movie via the app.
You go to the kiosk (or register) and select the movie you want to see and then pay for it with your movie pass.

Restrictions:
You can use the card once a day.
No 3D / IMAX

Used it yesterday for the first time and it worked great. We will see if their business can last because it's $10 a month and as far as I know they don't have any deals with these theaters and are paying the full price of the ticket.

Once a day is not unlimited. Is it good? Sure! But it's not unlimited.

Bookoo

Once a day is not unlimited. Is it good? Sure! But it's not unlimited.

Pretty sure the unlimited moniker comes from their previous pricing structure.

Before it was $15 (I think) for 2-3 movies a month.
The "unlimited" plan was $50/mo, but didn't have a cap (other than days in the month obviously and they didn't allow repeat viewings under that plan)

It's a good deal no matter how you cut it.

who the fuck watches more than one movie in a day at the theater

also if it's really a thing just sneak into the other one

I once watched 4 movies in a row. Was some amazing timing between showings.

(My father has a card allowing him 2 free tickets to any movie whenever he wants due to working in the movie business for like 38 years)

Penguin

I get the feeling this movie is gonna bomb.

Or who knows.

I feel like the first was a pleasant surprise so think it can grow, but right now there's like no buzz around it

And would think push it hard. Little competition around it

DIAwxqqUIAApFm1.jpg:large

He's never been on it.

There isn't a stitch of the marketing, so far as I know, crediting the lasso guy who has most of the badass trailer moments and half the dialog.

He's just "that one dude"

Its shitty

There was one TV/online spot I've seen that mentioned his name - notable because it was the first one I'd seen that had done so.

He's on the poster but not on the goddamn cast listing

Also WHERE IS ROXY

Who gives a shit about her. We got cowboy Tatum and Oberyn and Halle berry, Julianne Moore and Jeff Bridges

She can go fly on a balloon into space again or whatever she was doing in the last movie

http://www.thewrap.com/box-office-predictions-balloon-record-bursting-60-million-opening/

Box office trackers are extremely bullish on Warner Bros./New Line’s “It,” saying the horror film will bring good news to a movie industry in great need following a miserable August.

Last week, the first round of tracking had the remake of Stephen King’s seminal horror tale making $50 million in its opening weekend. Now, those numbers have floated up to $60 million, a figure that would give “It” the biggest theatrical debut in horror movie history as well as the biggest opening for any film released in September.

mjc

Still thinking it hits 60-70 OW, with the higher end if it's as good as it looks.

Wasn't someone claiming in one of the threads that IT was one of King's less well known books?

You could argue it has one of the largest pop culture presences in terms of his work though.

Still thinking it hits 60-70 OW, with the higher end if it's as good as it looks.

Wasn't someone claiming in one of the threads that IT was one of King's less well known books?

Yeah, someone tried to say IT was primarily known for the miniseries, and the book was comparatively much less well known and read.

which was, and is, incorrect

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
IT is a huge book. That's just ludicrous. I can't find any good sales numbers on it, but apparently it was the best-selling book the year it came out. It's definitely one of his best-known books.

I always figured the original book wasn't as big as the miniseries because "those kids did WHAT after killing the clown?!?!?" is kind of a meme.

Kusagari

Saying the book isn't well-known is ludicrous, but the remake has nostalgia hype boosting it because of people that saw the miniseries as kids.

On the note of Wonder Women, newest artist addition to the WW collaboration in Japan has been added. This time it is Yūsuke Nakamura (Character Designer for Tatami Galaxy).

wonderwoman.jpg

kswiston

This expansion will easily make Wonder Woman a lock for #5 on the All-time superhero film list (domestically).

Baby Driver presales collapsed in China during the final days, and early reviews are not good there. It should still make enough to get to $200M worldwide though.

Valerian is still looking to open in the $25-30M range in China.

Of course, given that we have seen near 99% second weekend drops before, it's hard to gauge what it's total will end up being.

rekameohs

Banned
Nothing will live up to the Batman v Superman review thread. Unless for some reason Avatar 2 is a complete turd critically. That is honestly the only thing I can see overtaking the BvS review thread for most fun to track as things rolled in.
I feel like a < 30% RT Star Wars mainline film could top BvS

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Critics have a soft spot for Star Wars. I doubt any of the current trilogy gets anything near 30% on the low end.

Isn't Episode 9 being directed by the Jurassic World guy?

At best, we're looking at the 3rd film probably being the worst in the trilogy, like Return of the Jedi.

rekameohs

Banned

At best, we're looking at the 3rd film probably being the worst in the trilogy, like Return of the Jedi.
Trevorrow is probably too safe to make anything worse than an average scoring movie - as in, he'll probably just be the mouth of the big production machine instead of the visionary leader, again like ROTJ. To get panned, I think you've gotta be ambitious, but misguided (see Snyder, Zack).

Even if Trevorrow were to shit the bed, it would end up being a middling level of shit the bed and not a catastrophe. And if for some reason he were in the middle of making a catastrophe and they could see it in the early screenings, Kennedy has shown that she will replace him if she feels she needs to. So worst cast scenario for Ep 9 is probably looking at somewhere around 50-60% on RT.

Keeping strictly to live action releases (so no Clone Wars), no Star Wars has ever gotten a Rotten score. Well, TPM has one now, but that wasn't until the 3D version brought about several more reviews. AotC manages to hold a 65%, and prior the 3D conversion TPM was just baaaarely holding onto a Fresh.

Let's see if Trevorrow could do what George couldn't.

Considering Jurassic World somehow has a 71%, probably not.

(both JW and Alien: Covenant managing 71% scores feels like some kind of cosmic prank to me)

Top Bottom