• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 08•18-20•17 - Dolled up Deadpool & Nick Fury team up, get Logan (not that one)

One of the ways IMAX are trying to get people to go to Inhumans, the tickets:
DICR3GzUQAEA8fg.jpg:large

Who gives a shit about her. We got cowboy Tatum and Oberyn and Halle berry, Julianne Moore and Jeff Bridges

She can go fly on a balloon into space again or whatever she was doing in the last movie
Roxy was robbed. They better not make the same sexist mistake in Kingsman 2.

Penguin

I don't know... think Inhumans may be a hit!

This is Lincoln Square IMAX (NYC's premiere IMAX) for Friday evening showing

DIFpDQCXgAI1qri.jpg

kswiston

Hollywood movies are back in release in China.

First day tallies in China:

Valerian - $9.9M
Baby Driver - $4.5M
Cars 3 - $3M

I don't know about a history but I believe UFC/Boxing has depressed (slightly, but noticeably) box-office receipts for the night at least once or twice before.

I am getting surprise villain vibes in Kingsman from:

Pedro Pascal
Colin Firth
Jeff Bridges
Channing Tatum

Or watch it be that Julianne Moore's character is actually Roxy in a disguise

I rope-a-dope'd
I'm still waiting on a superhero movie doing a "The villain was one of the heroes from the future!" thing or bring in the Space Phantoms.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I am getting surprise villain vibes in Kingsman from:

Pedro Pascal
Colin Firth
Jeff Bridges
Channing Tatum

Or watch it be that Julianne Moore's character is actually Roxy in a disguise

Ironically, I feel like the marketing is tipping their hat by how little they've shown of them outside of those two fight scenes.

kswiston

Anyone have any idea of the tracked/predicted openings?

Early first day numbers suggest a $3-4M opening. Standard superhero stuff. Possibly enough to pass Spider-Man 1's worldwide total when combined with the domestic expansion. Anyone expecting much more than $825M is going to be disappointed though.

Small handful of people in that thread. More like 2 or 3, I think?

It's not even playing in the Portland area this week. The rollout is apparently pretty small, and I don't think theaters are putting it in their bigger rooms, either.

kswiston

So some red hot preview numbers took place last night for the 3 openers.

Leap - $210k
Birth of the Dragon - $200k
All Saints - $70k

All three are expected to end up in the $3-4.5M range this weekend.

Variety is saying that, between the Texas hurricane and the boxing match, both The Hitman's Bodyguard and Annabelle Creation are expected to make $7M.

If we get a #1 finish that is lower than $7.75M, it will be the lowest #1 film since 2003. In the past 20 years, GI Jane is the only film to win an August weekend with less than $10M (it made around $8.2M)

I'm pretty curious to see how bad this weekend craters, honestly. We almost never really get a look at something that desolate on the b.o. charts.

kswiston

I'm pretty curious to see how bad this weekend craters, honestly. We almost never really get a look at something that desolate on the b.o. charts.

Ya.

The Top 10 cutoff is going to be about $3M this weekend. That in itself isn't super unusual, but the fact that the #1 film is only going to be 2-3x higher than that is pretty uncommon. 3 weekends in the past 10 years have been won with less than $10M. The last one was War Room a couple of years back. And the top 12 made $65M that weekend. I think this weekend's top 12 has a shot at going under $50M combined.

Small handful of people in that thread. More like 2 or 3, I think?

It's not even playing in the Portland area this week. The rollout is apparently pretty small, and I don't think theaters are putting it in their bigger rooms, either.

Doesn't help that it's AMC only for the first week. Especially where I am, given that they don't have much of a presence here in AZ. The regional chain Harkins has more than twice as many locations in the state, and 4 of them, plus a Regal and an Alamo Drafthouse, are all closer than the nearest AMC.

Top Bottom