• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order; PC Performance Thread

This is an id Tech 5 game right? Are people encountering similar performance issues with this as some did with Rage? Mainly issues related to OpenGL or the mega-texture LOD pop-in.

xBladeM6x

i7-3770k
660 Ti
16 GB RAM

Have everything turned up all the way (Ultra) with very minimal FPS drops, only when there are character interactions, but it's nothing serious. (Only like 60 -> 55). However I did turn Max PPF to 32 instead of 64, and Screen-Space Reflections to Disabled. This seems to make things run super smooth, and still look really good. I honestly don't notice a difference with them turned on or off anyways.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Win 8
GTX 680
i5 3570k @ 4.4
8GB Ram

Running maxed at 1080p, haven't done the console launch AA yet. But as is, rock solid 60, just got to the
train
level. Will try the AA tommorrow, hopefully framerate remains cool. Also, what is supposedly broken about in-game vsync? Seems to work fine for me, if not a lil dodgy in the menus.

xBladeM6x

Win 8
GTX 680
i5 3570k @ 4.4
8GB Ram

Running maxed at 1080p, haven't done the console launch AA yet. But as is, rock solid 60, just got to the
train
level. Will try the AA tommorrow, hopefully framerate remains cool. Also, what is supposedly broken about in-game vsync? Seems to work fine for me, if not a lil dodgy in the menus.

I just disable vsync in game, and force it + Triple Buffering in the Nvidia Control Panel.

Weirdly enough enabling triple buffering via the nvidia control panel for this game caused a ton of graphical artifacts to start appearing everywhere. Hasn't happened in other games before.

Also, are loading times between deaths rather long for anyone else?

Gangxxter

Can anybody tell me how large the day-one-patch is for the retail version? My internet has a 30 GB data cap, therefore I went retail for this game.

riflen

Yes but what is the benefit of doing that in this particular game?

The in-game v-sync is of an adaptive type. If you render fewer than 60fps, you will experience tearing until the frame rate returns to 60.

If you disable v-sync in game and use triple buffering through inspector, it should result in a nicer experience as v-sync will be maintained through drops in frame rate.

Corpekata

Banned
Game runs pretty much perfect on my 770 with i5-3570k. The only setting giving me trouble is Shadow resolution, if I set it to the highest loading new areas just crawls. Everything else turned up.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Has anybody actually got sli working in this game? I've got the latest Nvidia beta drivers installed but my 2nd card isn't getting used. I checked Inspector and apparently the predefined sli mode is set to single card only. I tried changing it to AFR/AFR2 and although this resulted in the 2nd card being used I was only getting about 20fps.

I have sli 680's and game at 1440p so kinda need the sli to work.

BONKERS

Its a noticeable difference, but I do still see a few jaggies in certain places. (to be expected)

WOW. MSAA/In game AA that actually looks great?

Whoever decided on that should be given a high five, a pizza and a hug.

+1 for features that can be used in the future.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Dear god this is a painfully slow download through Steam.

Anyways, these are my specs and I'll provide some feedback when I get into the game in the next 10 or so minutes.

RAM: 8GB
GPU: GTX 770 4GB EVGA
CPU: i7 3770k

DocSeuss

Game randomly started moving like syrup for me. Switched to borderless windowed... and now when I play, I can see my real mouse and the game mouse.

Still having that same problem I had in Rage, where, in menus, the mouse is accelerated out the wazoo.

ymgve

Can you guys check how much CPU Steam uses when you're ingame? For some reason, here it pegs one full CPU core, which I've never seen happening before. Turning off the overlay didn't help either.

noomi

Has anybody actually got sli working in this game? I've got the latest Nvidia beta drivers installed but my 2nd card isn't getting used. I checked Inspector and apparently the predefined sli mode is set to single card only. I tried changing it to AFR/AFR2 and although this resulted in the 2nd card being used I was only getting about 20fps.

I have sli 680's and game at 1440p so kinda need the sli to work.

No sir.... same thing here, also SLI 680's. Enabled both cards in inspector, but got the same result with FPS hanging around 25... :(

I knew this game would be a problem for a lot of people. The Rage launch was one of the worst I've ever encountered and it took months to fully sort out.

Rage eventually ran flawlessly and I have no doubt that will be the case here.

Most of Rage's problems were tied to OpenGL driver problems (especially AMD drivers).

That said, even now, Rage doesn't run that well on lower end hardware. I'd be curious to know what the engine is doing that is proving difficult on the PC.

looks like I made the right call picking this up on PS4. I'll buy the PC version later this year when I upgrade should I want to replay it. Rage's PC launch was terrible. I loved the game mind, but the technical issues day one... man.

Ok after completing chapter 1:

Performance is hit and miss. Adjusting graphics options has minimal impact. The framerate is inconsistent, sometimes holding 60fps, but mostly dipping to the 30-40s. That said, game is playable and i'm pushing through on Uber difficulty without performance issues really getting in the way.

This game is riddled with trash textures. Hilarious boxmen corpse entities on occasion as well, lol.

Will be looking forward to some config tweaks, especially to turn off the DOF.

Sigh.

Seems this game will have to wait until I buy a new cpu (which isn't going to be for a while nothing else I'm playing right now is very cpu reliant)
If it was some pc exclusive that did something special I could understand but for some last gen console port that is basic singleplayer shooter it just sounds like a terrible port.

Oh well at least by the time I get a new cpu it'll have been <10 euros in a steam sale or free in some humble bundle.

Thretau

i5-2500K @ 4.2 GHz
R9 280X (factory clocks)
8GB RAM
Win 8

1920x1080, everything on max except Shadow Resolution on 4k, Depth of Field on Medium and Screen Space Reflections disabled. Got some drops from 60fps but it was pretty rare and the drops were to ~50fps. Didn't try the launch options AA yet.

Only played around 1 hour from the beginning though.

Bricky

1-2 hours of playtime. Game plays well and looks decent, but I have experienced some significant problems on my setup. Somehow if I turn up my aditional settings to 'ultra' without changing anything else from the default 'high' settings on my MSI GTX 560 Ti 1GB (with an i5 2500k and 8GB of RAM, slight overclock on everything) my entire game just slows down to an unplayable FPS. The entire thing is smooth and steady on default 'high', even with v-sync on, but anything a slight notch above and I get like 5FPS or a crash. Same goes for the shadow setting and the reflection stuff (tried all of them seperately in the prologue part of the game).

I can understand that better texture settings are a problem on a 1GB card, but I'm pretty sure there is either an issue with my drivers or the game itself for the other stuff. The FPS difference is simply too extreme.

"Both Andy and I encountered extremely low framerates when playing through the tutorial - 2-5FPS, unplayably bad.

In my case, I resolved it by knocking the settings down to their lowest for this opening sequence, in which case I got 25FPS for most of the tutorial and 10-15FPS for a sequence involving cloth physics. This is on a 64bit system with a 3.3Ghz i5, 16Gb of RAM, and a GeForce GTX 560 Ti."

Well, there you go. Seems like I'll have to wait for a driver update to get the most out of the game. 560 Ti users beware!

DieH@rd

Banned
Not the worst, but defintiely up there with the worst. And it had such potential too, shame. I was genuinely excited to see what it could do before Rage launched. Sigh.

We will have to live through Evil Within and Doom. Hopefully Arkane will not be bullied by Zenimax, and they will use their own preferred engines [Dishonored was UE3].

Corpekata

Banned
1-2 hours of playtime. Game plays well and looks decent, but I have experienced some significant problems on my setup. Somehow if I turn up my aditional settings to 'ultra' without changing anything else from the default 'high' settings on my MSI GTX 560 Ti 1GB (with an i5 2500k and 8GB of RAM, slight overclock on everything) my entire game just slows down to an unplayable FPS. The entire thing is smooth and steady on default 'high', even with v-sync on, but anything a slight notch above and I get like 5FPS or a crash. Same goes for the shadow setting and the reflection stuff (tried all of them seperately in the prologue part of the game).

I can understand that better texture settings are a problem on a 1GB card, but I'm pretty sure there is either an issue with my drivers or the game itself for the other stuff. The FPS difference is simply too extreme.

This what changing shadows does to me. Other settings were fine though.

jett

D-Member

Definitely one of the all-time worst. A flat out bad idea, it's such a dated looking thing. Even if we had unlimited disc space, we'd still have to suffer the horrible lighting, shading, and pretty much horrible everything it offers. Carmack's biggest blunder and directly responsible for id's spiral into irrelevance. Look at this game, it should be running at 60 fps on potatoes. I feel sorry for the devs Zenimax forced into using IT5.

riflen

Definitely one of the all-time worst. A flat out bad idea, it's such a dated looking thing. Even if we had unlimited disc space, we'd still have to suffer the horrible lighting, shading, and pretty much horrible everything it offers. Carmack's biggest blunder and directly responsible for id's spiral into irrelevance. Look at this game, it should be running at 60 fps on potatoes. I feel sorry for the devs Zenimax forced into using IT5.

I feel this is a little harsh. I really enjoyed RAGE, but I came to it years after release and didn't have the expectations that many must have had.
The only technical problems I had related to SLI. If I want to play it, I have to disable one GPU in device manager, otherwise GPU Transcoding is unavailable.
This is with a very good GPU that has 3GB VRAM, but I just didn't have a texture streaming problem. I even tweaked the texture size up to improve fidelity a bit. I haven't played Wolfenstein yet (it's downloading), but I find it hard to believe that it has "horrible lighting, shading (?), pretty much horrible everything" given how good RAGE looked most of the time.

id acknowledged they dropped the ball concerning the RAGE release. To my mind a lot of these problems stem from the sorry state of vendor OpenGL drivers, a situation that does not seem to have improved much from reading recent developer blogs on the subject.

iNvid02

i remember rage having some sli and streaming issues but thats about it, am i misremembering or does wolfenstein sound worse off?

Id Tech 5 gave good performance on limited hardware (consoles) and great variety of textures.

In exchange, it had

-very low res textures
-pop-in textures while turning
-nice but very static and flat baked-in lightning
-very limited (read none) interaction or destruction with the environment
-limited polycount (though this is more a choice to move at 60fps in consoles)

All together, I don't think that having non-repeating textures was worth the price it had to be paid.

And I enjoyed Rage as a game!

Zemm

iD Tech 5 is the worst and needs taking out back and put down. Dreadful engine. I have all the problems listed in that PC Gamer article.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Works flawlessly on my system, looks beautiful too. I'll have some screenshots tomorrow, but only problem I've had so far is that moving too quickly has the same texture pop-in that RAGE had. Outside of that silly complaint its smooth Nazi killing.

pavachan

Neo Member
Using a GTX 780 Ti OC, 8gb Ram, i7 2600K@4.4, everything maxed, with VSync+Triple Buffering and the 4x MSAA flag at 1080p.

The performance seems to stay at 60 fps for the most part, however there are the occasional dips down to 55.

The GPU however is exhibiting odd behavior. it jumps between ~60% usage and ~99% almost constantly - i dont know why that is. Even when I am standing there, just looking in one direction, the GPU keeps jumping - this does not happen with other games - however it has been a very long time since i've played anything using OpenGL.

"Both Andy and I encountered extremely low framerates when playing through the tutorial - 2-5FPS, unplayably bad.

In my case, I resolved it by knocking the settings down to their lowest for this opening sequence, in which case I got 25FPS for most of the tutorial and 10-15FPS for a sequence involving cloth physics. This is on a 64bit system with a 3.3Ghz i5, 16Gb of RAM, and a GeForce GTX 560 Ti."

Well, there you go. Seems like I'll have to wait for a driver update to get the most out of the game. 560 Ti users beware!

As someone still rocking 560TI, it'll be interesting to see how it runs for me.

Top Bottom