• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order; PC Performance Thread

KKRT00

So looks like shit and runs like shit and still has all the same problems as RAGE, like crappy MSAA, 60hz only, bugged v-sync, right?

They included input lag for mouse as bonus too with v-sync?

As a big id fan since their beginning i'm so sad ;\

DocSeuss

So looks like shit and runs like shit and still has all the same problems as RAGE, like crappy MSAA, 60hz only, bugged v-sync, right?

No, not at all.

Looks good, mostly runs good but doesn't seem to like vsync. Has mouse acceleration off by default, includes an FOV slider, etc. Lots of great stuff. However, mouse action in MENUS is still weird, like Rage.

Interesting to see some of these comments; the game runs like butter on my laptop with everything but screen space reflections on high/ultra.

dr_rus

Game is very VRAM intensive.
Opening level on a plane at 2560x1600 consume 3,3GB of VRAM on highest settings.
If you throw MSAA 8x on that you get 3,7GB.
Next level is unplayable on 4GB videocard with 8x MSAA on Ultra in 2560x1600 because of VRAM trashing - had to turn on the VT compression to get the speed to playable.
With VT compression on VRAM usage goes down to 2,8GB in the above settings - all at max, VT compression on, MSAA 8x, 2560x1600.

On a GTX770 I'm seeing 30-50 fps with ~95% GPU load without AA in 2560x1600.
With MSAA 8x the fps falls down to 25-40.

Texture pop-ins are minimal on GTX770 with latest driver beta.

The game is definitely more demanding than Rage.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

As a big id fan since their beginning i'm so sad ;\
The v-sync isn't bugged. It's an adaptive solution.

This game really has little to do with id outside of the franchise and the engine. This is basically a Starbreeze game.

DukeBobby

i5 3570k and 7970 GHz here.

Performance was pretty damn poor on the tutorial section on the plane. Fluctuated between 25-60 fps, with drops into single figures during the turret section (which caused me to die. It ran fine the next time).

I'll see how it runs on the next level, but it looks like I'll need to tinker with the options.

KKRT00

The v-sync isn't bugged. It's an adaptive solution.

This game really has little to do with id outside of the franchise and the engine. This is basically a Starbreeze game.

I'm not complaining about game, but an engine, so its id fault, not Starbreeze :)

And v-sync added ton of input lag in RAGE, to degree of being unplayable imho.

Bydobob

Anyone played around with the FOV? The default was kinda rough for me during the hour I played last night.

Not yet, but I will do. Only got to play for 20 minutes but was already starting to feel sick. I think the default is 80.

No problems on the performance front so far. Rock solid 60fps @ 1080p on ultra. OC'd 780, 4670k and 16Gb RAM. i7 my ar*e...

So it's locked at 60fps.

Guess that's the standard now for new games.

Also there's no AA option? So what's the game's AA out of the box?

Any super sampling options either?

GoaThief

About time PC games started pushing technology again.

Being able to max almost everything with my three year old rig wasn't quite right. Think I made the right choice opting for PS4.

Anyone tested with a OC'd 2500k/480gtx 8gb or similar?

jiggles

Banned
I'm not on beta drivers, and the game runs fine with all the in-game settings cranked to the max. Never drops a frame in gameplay, and not a single instance of texture pop-in.

I've not changed any of the driver settings, though, so I've got no AA, and it's at 1920x1080, so it's hardly impressive, but it's better than I expected reading the thread.

How are you guys enabling MSAA, etc?

I just played the tutorial on ultra and thought it didnt look very great, came here to see if there were any recommendations for the settings here. Shadow resolution? VF compress? Im used to just "X Quality" and i hit high and see how it goes.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Has anyone had the opportunity to experiment with some of the settings mentioned in my old Rage piece? http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

The required config file is now located in C:\Users\USERNAME\Saved Games\MachineGames\Wolfenstein The New Order\base Looking through it there, it appears that some Rage settings were integrated directly into the game, while others are accessible through startup commands, console commands, and .cfg changes.

Would experiment myself, but I'm snowed under with other projects :)

SZips

I've been experiencing texture/object flickering. It doesn't look like slow loading textures, it's just flickering of textures at various times while playing.

Other than this sometimes annoying issue, the game seems to be running just fine for me. I can't recall any moments of framerate slowdown in the roughly 2.5 hours I managed to play so far.

i5-2500K
GTX 770 4GB
8GB RAM

Levyne

Banned
What sort of rigs are you guys running that regularly can utilize 120fps? (It may sound like I'm being coy but that's not the intent).

I ask because most of the time I'm unsure whether I'll be able to maintain a stable 60fps on a single overclocked 780 with all the bells and whistles on, let alone even higher (1920x1200). Are you guys running 780tis or titans or good cards in SLI (independent on whether this game is behaving with sli at the moment or not)?

I've been experiencing texture/object flickering. It doesn't look like slow loading textures, it's just flickering of textures at various times while playing.

Other than this sometimes annoying issue, the game seems to be running just fine for me. I can't recall any moments of framerate slowdown in the roughly 2.5 hours I managed to play so far.

i5-2500K
GTX 770 4GB
8GB RAM

same card. same issue. just about to try this:

from pc gamer

Several of our other machines in the office have been able to run the game at 1080p without the same issues. One of them is exactly the same as the machine I'm currently playing on with the exception that it's using the older GeForce 331.82 drivers rather than the current 335.23 ones - this lends credence to the notion that the problems are driver-based.

Update: I've managed to resolve the problem with the latest GeForce drivers by checking the 'Include beta drivers' checkbox in GeForce Experience and downloading the 337.50 beta drivers. With them installed, the game runs much better and texture pop-in is less noticeable.

scitek

If your framerate dips to single digits, either set VT cache to low or have it at high and enable VT compression

Thanks for this. Everytime I went higher than 4xMSAA, it would drop like that. Turning it to Low, then back to my Custom settings afterwards lets me have 16xMSAA on without a problem. Looks awesome.

URATowel

Banned
Will you report back and say? I'm geniunely interested. I have a similar processor and graphics card laying around and have been curious for a while as to whether it's worth building it up as another machine.. Obviously I'm not expecting miracles, but if games coming out now are still playable then why the hell not!

It works amazing...I don't know if I got lucky but I'm about an hour in and smooth sailing so far. I'm also not like some people here who complain when it goes down 1fps from 60 lol

To sum it up perfectly it pretty much feels like I'm playing the PS4 version. Great game so far too

My settings are:

1920x1080
VT Cache medium
VT Compress enabled
max ppf 16
shadow res 2048
D.O.F medium
screen-space reflections medium
additional quality settings medium
haze falre enabled

riflen

What sort of rigs are you guys running that regularly can utilize 120fps? (It may sound like I'm being coy but that's not the intent).

I ask because most of the time I'm unsure whether I'll be able to maintain a stable 60fps on a single overclocked 780 with all the bells and whistles on, let alone even higher (1920x1200). Are you guys running 780tis or titans or good cards in SLI (independent on whether this game is behaving with sli at the moment or not)?

120Hz is much nicer to use no matter what the frame rate, this goes double for first-person games controlled with a mouse. You don't need 120fps to get a benefit, but if you can achieve both, it's sublime.
Some games are a waste at 120fps though and you're better off using the GPU power to downsample and try to achieve excellent image quality instead. I currently have 2 x 780 Ti and an i5 3570k, so well into enthusiast territory for the most part.

SZips

same card. same issue. just about to try this:

from pc gamer

Sadly, I've been on the 337.50 drivers for a while now. It's not texture pop-in, it's actual flickering of objects/textures at times. It happens for just a split second, almost like the textures get a little corrupt for the briefest of moments.

ColEx

Try this to improve performance, it improved for me A LOT:

WolfNewOrder_x64-2014-05-20-17-04-41-43-1024x640.jpg

Thanks, I'm using these settings but instead of the settings you have at ultra i put them to high.

The game runs fine for me on high settings at 1080p but i get micro stutters when walking into a new area, just like it did with RAGE before it was patched and fixed. Its really off putting when you're trying to immerse your self in the game world.

So the above settings but with high instead of ultra is working at a silky smooth 60fps for me with no IQ loss from what i can tell. I feel that MAX PPF has something to do with the micro stutters, the option tool-tips don't explain stuff very well.

My system specs are I5 3570k with an AMD 270x and 16gb of ram.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
I4770 @ 4.2 ghz
Gtx titan
1080p
Default ultra settings

Up to the point where you have a to mak a choice.

Game seems to be running at 60fps no dips in fps so far, for some reason I can't use msi afterburner to display details on this so I'm using fraps, not noticed any drops apart from the cutscenes which run at 30fps but also noticed 2 occasions it dipped to around 23fs for a second.

I'm sure there will be problem areas but so far it's ok. Graphics card heating up very quickly, trying to keep it below 60 c

MSI 780 Ti GAMING
16GB RAM

This game is not running well for me. I keep seeing graphical glitches like white triangles/squares appearing on the screen. At first I thought it was deliberate, kinda like it's a dream sequence or something (a bit like in the Assassin's Creed games where the image deliberately glitches out), but it isn't that. If the glitches were gone, it would be running like butter.

Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? I'm running it on the default Ultra settings and I have the latest non-beta NVIDIA drivers installed.

Levyne

Banned
Looks like with a

GTX 780 slight OC
4770k at 4.4
16gb ram 2133

337.50 driver.

Looks like I can run 4x MSAA okay at 1920x1200. We'll see if that holds. Otherwise things set to Ultra.
Edit: Oh. I also had to enforce the MSAA with the console, didn't work as a launch command

Audio sounds flat on my headphones. I'll have subtitles on I guess.

Every once in a while my fps crawls and I have to set the VT cache low (compression on) and back to fix. Is that a VRAM issue? Sometimes the 30fps cutscenes hiccup too, which seems weird.

TheD

The Detective
So wait, it uses a ton of VRAM and has texture pop in?!
Wasn't one of the reasons for megatexture to cut down on texture VRAM usage? and wasn't the tile cache meant to be big enough to store a full 360 degrees worth of tiles?!

hypotc

A littlebit OT, but:

I'm using toggle "aim down sights". Anyone know if it's possible to make it so that "aim down sights" resets when you reload your gun?

Like it does in Call of Duty.

Maybe something that can be fixed in a config file or something?

CHC

Anyone else having an issue where the game is stretched larger than the screen size when trying to downsample?

I'm on a 780 and yes I have my monitor & vid card set to scale to aspect ratio. I downsample fine in every other game but this one seems just to make the image very large and show me only part of it.

So wait, it uses a ton of VRAM and has texture pop in?!
Wasn't one of the reasons for megatexture to cut down on texture VRAM usage? and wasn't the tile cache meant to be big enough to store a full 360 degrees worth of tiles?!

yes and yes, this engine confuses me so much

Levyne

Banned
Anyone else having an issue where the game is stretched larger than the screen size when trying to downsample?

I'm on a 780 and yes I have my monitor & vid card set to scale to aspect ratio. I downsample fine in every other game but this one seems just to make the image very large and show me only part of it.

I didn't have any issue downsampling on my 780. Can't do it and maintain a good framerate, though. Maybe if I feel like taking some shots.

GavinUK86

• i7 2600k OC'd to 4.5ghz
  • 8gb RAM
  • GTX 660
  • 1080/60
  • Using vsync and triple buffering via nvidia control panel
Using these first settings it's pretty much 60fps 80-85% of the time:

wolfneworder_x64_2014_05_20_23_12_42_68_by_gavinuk86-d7j3vxn.png

But if the few framerate drops do get annoying this set up works for 60fps flawlessly 100% of the time:

1_by_gavinuk86-d7j3w3d.png

I've not experienced any bugs, glitches, flickering or anything of the sort. I'm either very lucky or the game seems to be at peace with my rig.

Skyzard

Banned

Tried alt+enter?

A lot of issues is probably thanks to the 64bit client of the id tech 5 engine.
Rage had the same issues. The 64bit client of that loads much slower, stutters and it has worse performance in terms of fps. Pretty much what I'm seeing in Wolfenstein.
i5 2500k @ 4.3GHz, 8GB of RAM and a 660Ti. Everything else maxed with compressed textures and DOF set to medium and I saw a noticeable increase in my framerate. ~60 with dips to about 50 now.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Consensus on AMD vs NVIDIA for this game yet? I've got an R9 290X or a TITAN I can use. What are the cool kids using for downsampling these days?

Arkanius

My 280X is running this very well at 1080p
(Ultra setting without additional changes). Catalyst 14.4

But god damn, the SOUND MIXING in this game is ATROCIOUS. Every sound feels like it's being played far away from you, nothing has punch.

But god damn, the SOUND MIXING in this game is ATROCIOUS. Every sound feels like it's being played far away from you, nothing has punch.

I actually really like the gun sounds and all that. But, i've been killed several times because someone has been standing behind me shooting me and the only way i can tell that they are behind me is from the UI, directional sound is not working properly i guess.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
My 280X is running this very well at 1080p
(Ultra setting without additional changes). Catalyst 14.4

Agreed about the sound, expect something better for a fps.

It works amazing...I don't know if I got lucky but I'm about an hour in and smooth sailing so far. I'm also not like some people here who complain when it goes down 1fps from 60 lol

To sum it up perfectly it pretty much feels like I'm playing the PS4 version. Great game so far too

My settings are:

1920x1080
VT Cache medium
VT Compress enabled
max ppf 16
shadow res 2048
D.O.F medium
screen-space reflections medium
additional quality settings medium
haze falre enabled

Wow that's awesome. Thanks for coming back and sharing, much appreciated man.

Damian.

Banned
I am getting the strange flickering of random colored squares/triangles. Using the 337.81 drivers on a 780. Otherwise the game runs extremely smooth.

BONKERS

Game is very VRAM intensive.
Opening level on a plane at 2560x1600 consume 3,3GB of VRAM on highest settings.
If you throw MSAA 8x on that you get 3,7GB.
Next level is unplayable on 4GB videocard with 8x MSAA on Ultra in 2560x1600 because of VRAM trashing - had to turn on the VT compression to get the speed to playable.
With VT compression on VRAM usage goes down to 2,8GB in the above settings - all at max, VT compression on, MSAA 8x, 2560x1600.

On a GTX770 I'm seeing 30-50 fps with ~95% GPU load without AA in 2560x1600.
With MSAA 8x the fps falls down to 25-40.

Texture pop-ins are minimal on GTX770 with latest driver beta.

The game is definitely more demanding than Rage.

And yet most of the texturing looks like inconsistent Ass. Meanwhile, a game like Crysis 2 with MalDo's texture mod has much better texturing quality and consistency, and has no issues like this.

Wolf isn't an open world game either right?

If Nvidia had compatibility flag functions within the driver for OGL like DX9, proper AA that wouldn't constantly turn off between loading sections would be a possibility.

(This is going to be an irritating issue for me with SteamOS. Lack of proper AA support at the driver level. Because who are we kidding. Developers don't care about that stuff unless it's a cheap add in option)

Top Bottom