• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order; PC Performance Thread

CHC

I am getting the strange flickering of random colored squares/triangles. Using the 337.81 drivers on a 780. Otherwise the game runs extremely smooth.

Might want to check out your card's heat situation, sounds like artifacting which is not usually software related. I've had it happen on A) a card that was about to shit the bed and B) a card that wasn't being properly ventilated.

Sothpaw

16GB

Runs everything high 1900x1080 60fps no frame drops. Just posting because I have read a lot about problems with amd but it runs great for me.

shocktrooper

Neo Member
I just noticed this game appears to force 4xAF, and you can override this by opening the console (ctrl+alt+~) and typing "vt_maxAniso 16".

This makes the textures much sharper:
Comparison 1
Comparison 2

The problem is, everytime a checkpoint is reloaded the AF resets back to 4x.
It is possible to (permanently) bind the command to a key by typing e.g. bind X "vt_maxAniso 16". I wasn't succesful in binding multiple commands to a single key, however (seperating commands with semicolon does not work)

AJLma

Just played this game for about 2 hours on an R9 290 + 3770 @ 1440p, and I definitely had a good bit of what seemed like stuttering. rFaps showed an AVG of about 50FPS, turning Shadow Resolution down to 4092 seemed to give me a locked 60 but it still felt a little too stuttery to actually be running at 60FPS.

It's definitely a great looking game and the firefights can have lots of particles & smoke flying around when it gets intense but I feel like there's definitely something weird going on with my AMD card.

I had the game lock up on me just now in an indoor area that had a heavy DoF effect going on there's also a lot of heavy DoF going on that seemed to give me really bad stuttering.

CHC

I just noticed this game appears to force 4xAF, and you can override this by opening the console (ctrl+alt+~) and typing "vt_maxAniso 16".

Comparison 1
Comparison 2

It is possible to (permanently) bind the command to a key by typing e.g. bind X "vt_maxAniso 16". I wasn't succesful in binding multiple commands to a single key, however (seperating commands with semicolon does not work)

Goddamn that is a whole lot better.

WHY did they make so many poor decisions with this game's graphical presentation? I know there are beautiful graphics hidden in here but yeesh, they're not making it easy.

(Blah blah idTech5 stinks blah blah)

My 280X is running this very well at 1080p
(Ultra setting without additional changes). Catalyst 14.4

But god damn, the SOUND MIXING in this game is ATROCIOUS. Every sound feels like it's being played far away from you, nothing has punch.

Haha so true. I thought my headphones at first were broken. I ended up using DFX enhancer for sound and it made the game a lot better.

Just played this game for about 2 hours on an R9 290 + 3770 @ 1440p, and I definitely had a good bit of what seemed like stuttering. rFaps showed an AVG of about 50FPS, turning Shadow Resolution down to 4092 seemed to give me a locked 60 but it still felt a little too stuttery to actually be running at 60FPS.

It's definitely a great looking game and the firefights can have lots of particles & smoke flying around when it gets intense but I feel like there's definitely something weird going on with my AMD card.

I had the game lock up on me just now in an indoor area that had a heavy DoF effect going on there's also a lot of heavy DoF going on that seemed to give me really bad stuttering.

Don't worry, I feel your pain. I'm running a r9 290x and at first the game was running great mostly with everything maxed. Then after I got to a certain point my fps just became a garbled mess. Had to turn down the shadow resolution and PPF to get it constant 60 again. Kinda sad honestly lol...

Comparison 1
Comparison 2

Nice, so putting that in the launch options doesn't keep it permanently? Gonna try it out for myself.

shocktrooper

Neo Member
Nice, so putting that in the launch options doesn't keep it permanently? Gonna try it out for myself.

Haven't tried with the launch parameters yet but probably it will be same as with the console command. It works only the very first time you load a level, but as soon as you die or reload a checkpoint the value goes back to 4. I believe its because the engine thinks the max value is 4 (it says so in the console) and if its any higher it gets set back to 4.

Haven't tried with the launch parameters yet but probably it will be same as with the console command. It works only the very first time you load a level, but as soon as you die or reload a checkpoint the value goes back to 4. I believe its because the engine thinks the max value is 4 (it says so in the console) and if its any higher it gets set back to 4.

Yeah just tried it. I can't even get mine past 4. I also noticed r_multisamples defaults back to 8 when i have it set to 16 in launch options as well.

TheTrain

I have this screen with 16x AF forced through CCC:

wolfneworder_x642014-iws6s.png

wolfneworder_x642014-ukkxr.png

http://abload.de/img/wolfneworder_x642014-ftj5o.png

http://abload.de/img/wolfneworder_x642014-tws9e.png

http://abload.de/img/wolfneworder_x642014-uds9g.png

http://abload.de/img/wolfneworder_x642014-gls2a.png

Levyne

Banned
I think I'm forcing 16x AF through Inspector. I finally got the inspector V-sync to stick. At least I'm not seeing tearing anymore.

shocktrooper

Neo Member
hmm I think I was wrong before, there really is no AF value above 4, even on 4x it shouldn't look that ugly.
I played around with the commands a bit more and noticed what the game does (for me at least) after reloading a checkpoint is disabling or reducing AF altogether! it says the value is at 4 but it really isn't because if I type vt_maxAniso 2 the image gets better and raising the value back to 4 then restores the sharpness seen on the screenshots. This sounds more like a bug.

Megasoum

Banned
Hmmm I played through the beginning part of the game (I got to the grappling hook bit).

Overall the performance are a solid 60 on my i5-4670k/16gb/770GTX except that twice now, when coming out of cutscenes, the game will crawl to a 2-3fps. The first time it lasted for like 5-6 sec and then went back to 60 but the last time (after the grappling hook cutscene) it was stuck at 2fps and I had to exit the game. Anybody else seen that?

Hmmm I played through the beginning part of the game (I got to the grappling hook bit).

Overall the performance are a solid 60 on my i5-4670k/16gb/770GTX except that twice now, when coming out of cutscenes, the game will crawl to a 2-3fps. The first time it lasted for like 5-6 sec and then went back to 60 but the last time (after the grappling hook cutscene) it was stuck at 2fps and I had to exit the game. Anybody else seen that?

Yup this game is very odd in that sense. When you are shooting and playing, it's pretty decent fps around 60, then when you get into the cutscenes/non shooting moments it comes to a crawl. I also sort of wish you could disable the grainy filter/dof.

CHC

Asked before but has anyone had the problem where the downsampled image does not scale (ie; I'm looking at the upper left of the larger res screen)? I'm running a 780 with latest drivers, monitor and PC both set to scale image, works in all other games.

Would really like to get some downsampling and FXAA going on.

Levyne

Banned
This after enabling vt_maxaniso 16 and r_multisamples 8 in the console at 1920x1200 Ultra.

iFeS4feQFOfoA.bmp

Last one.

I think it looks alright, but I also don't know much about these things.

i8ZO6LuB6SaTB.bmp

Still some jaggies with msaa x8

Thinking about picking this up on GMG. Hows performance with a 780/3570k setup? Does sysram matter at all? Also, where is this elusive beta driver that won't show up on any searches? Is there an FOV slider?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So AMD cards are messed up again, just like it went when Rage launched? I figured they would've known how to avoid that, after that craziness.

dmr87

Yes. Any "official" links straight through the Nvidia website?

It's only released as an international driver, here's a UK link and a statement.

We posted an international driver that is not a wide driver release but does contain the fix for this the monitor display blank screen issue. If users wish to try the fix and see if it addresses your monitor detection issue that started with R325 drivers, you may download it from

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ssue-after-driver-update-updated-1-23-14-/22/

maneil99

Asked before but has anyone had the problem where the downsampled image does not scale (ie; I'm looking at the upper left of the larger res screen)? I'm running a 780 with latest drivers, monitor and PC both set to scale image, works in all other games.

Would really like to get some downsampling and FXAA going on.
Why would you want tobuse fxaa, that stuff is gross. Blurs game to shit.

So what kind of voodoo is happening with this game?
First time starting, running it with custom settings (pretty much everything on high), result: 25 - 30 fps
Trying to lower some settings, result: no change at all. 25 - 30 fps
Turning _everything_ down to lowest setting (still custom), result: 25 - 30 fps

Setting the game on "Low": whoops, 60 fps.
Changing _everything_ manually up to highest settings: whoopsidoo, still 60 fps.

What is going on?!

System:
i5 2500k@4.3
7870XT
8GB Ram

CHC

Why would you want tobuse fxaa, that stuff is gross. Blurs game to shit.

Downsampling plus SMAA (or FXAA if you need to) beats MSAA any day - blurring is pretty marginal if you downsample from a decently higher res. Plus as scitek said, yeah, the game is not that "crisp" as is, I'd rather look at a smoother image than a grainy, crackly one.

scitek

Figured out why I was able to run perfectly with AA earlier. When I'd turn it to low and back to custom to get the framerate up, it'd turn off AA lol

I don't get it, everything was running fine with the occasional hitch maxed out but now the game just drops to 1 fps and I can't do anything., it's so bad it locks up and I've had to hard reset a couple times, I'm Just a little ways through the tutorial level by the way.

I checked my CPU, GPU, Hard Drive, and Memory. Nothing wrong there and everything checks out fine.

I've tried lowering settings but nothing seems to be working.

1080P
4GB DDR3 1600 Gskill Ripjaws X ram
GTX580
Core i5 2500k OC'd(24/7 stable) @ 4.5ghz

Any ideas guys? I'm going to try some different drivers to see if that fixes it.

If all else fails I'll try restarting the campaign.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
This after enabling vt_maxaniso 16 and r_multisamples 8 in the console at 1920x1200 Ultra.

iFeS4feQFOfoA.bmp

Last one.

I think it looks alright, but I also don't know much about these things.

i8ZO6LuB6SaTB.bmp

Still some jaggies with msaa x8

Could I put those commands in the steam launch window or do I have to do it in-console?

Gibbo

Is the sound mixing a bit off for your guys? My Sound output is via creative xfi, and Nova amp, while using my HD650, and I find the sound in the game to be a bit on the muddy side.

It seems toggling through all the settings and back to where you want it seems to fix the issues I was having.

What the heck iDtech5, you are weird.

I've discovered thanks to this RAGE guide http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2189752 that some commands DON'T WORK in command line without adding before "+cvaradd". Edit your Wolfenstein shorcut and put like this:

"WolfNewOrder_x64.exe" +cvaradd r_multisamples_8 +cvaradd vt_maxAniso 16

Anyone discovered what's the proper .cfg file to put custom commands instead puting in the windows shortcut? just default.cfg or it's another one?

Dr Dogg

Well surprise, surprise, those touted recommended minimum specs are a bit ambitious. No idea what's happening there unless there was a very small testing sample used.

On my ageing but still capable Q6600, which is now back to 2.4ghz stock due to using the heatsink on another build, it gave all the cores a good work out but didn't quite get close to fully utilising them. I'm sure faster clocks would gain you some extra performance as would newer CPUs but that i7 minimum requirement was a bit bonkers.

Paired with just a single GTX 480 I was able to get a pretty consistent 60fps at 1920x1080 with the medium preset (and a few tweaks shows that I could knock a few settings up further as well) with only drops to 45-50 when a lot of stuff was on screen. Even more bizarre since some folks seam to be having a few issues that I'm running way out of date drivers (331.65). Upon loading a new scene it does bog down a bit for the first 5-10 seconds whilst it's caching textures but after that everything is back to normal.

RAM on the other hand does seam to be a bit more closer to home as I only have 2gb installed and while the process itself did only get to around 1-1.1gb I was getting quite a few hard faults which did either drop the game to 40 or lock up briefly. 4gb would probably give a bit more of an overhead.

All in all doesn't look bad at those settings, considering the age of some of the parts I had cobbled together it run pretty well too. Something similar and maybe pushing a higher set of clocks with 4gb of ram should be able to smooth the experience out a little. Be interesting to see if this performs like shit on my main gaming PC now.

sertopico

Hi guys, considering the fact I don't want to waste my money, will I be able to play this unoptimized piece of junk on my old PC?

CPU: Q9450@3.6 GHz
RAM: 4 GB
GPU: 560 Ti 448 SP @ 825MHz

Thanks in advance.

edit: read the post above mine, maybe I can play it, then.

Dr Dogg

Hi guys, considering the fact I don't want to waste my money, will I be able to play this unoptimized piece of junk on my old PC?

Thanks in advance.

Well I only played through the opening tutorial segments and apart from a few scenes it was pretty empty so don't know how well that setup would perform later on in the game. Plus there was no AA and with what I had the settings adjusted to there was a distinct lack of shadowing. A lot of that would come down to preference though but in no way would my setup posted about run any of the higher settings or effects let alone paired with AA and not have a fit. Low to medium seams about the ball park which didn't look that bad to me but again that's subjective.

Personally I'm not going to be playing on my old PC so that might say something but I'm sure there's some benchmarks out there from a much wider sample and more thorough testing than the 30-40 mins I spent this morning.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

Thanks in advance.

It's not unoptimized from where I'm at. With the latest beta drivers I'm getting very good framerates (45-60) on my Core 2 Duo 3GHz + 560Ti at 1080p medium settings and it looks phenomenal. ATI people are not so lucky since their openGL support has been garbage.

Top Bottom