• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order; PC Performance Thread

Jito

Banned
Might be making this up, but wasn't there a config file fix for Rage that sorted the texture pop in? Hopefully the same works for Wolfenstein as I can't get rid of it.

I'm barely getting any texture pop-in at all. It was much worse in Rage for me. You who have it in this game, are you using AMD cards?

4xMSAA made quite a difference in IQ for me, and I still get the same performance. Obviously, there are still jaggies, but it's much better than before.

4xMSAA made quite a difference in IQ for me, and I still get the same performance. Obviously, there are still jaggies, but it's much better than before.

How exactly do you change the MSAA levels?

Also is there a reason that the Nvidia recommended SLI rendering mode is set to Single-GPU?
ewew342342.png

Xyber

I'm having a weird problem. I'm about 2-3 hours in now and have just gotten past the
train
sequence. When this new level started it was stuttering at maybe 1-2fps (sound as well). A bit later on I fucked up and had to reload and now it's the same again but this time it just keep going. It's been stuttering for almost 3 minutes now.

I tried reloading and it just does the same thing. I get dialogue from the area before this checkpoint as well.

It's like the game is trying to load the entire map into memory or something, but incredibly slow.

Edit: Well this is just fucked. I turned around and everything went up to 60fps. When I turned around again to where I was supposed to go I got 1FPS again.

GavinUK86

How exactly do you change the MSAA levels?

launch with "+com_allowConsole 1" and then "Ctrl and ~" for the console in game then use "r_multisamples 16". (16 being 16x so you can altar to your liking 2,4,8 etc).

You can also use "+r_multisamples 16" to launch with it but that didn't work for me. This did. Not that I can use it, my framerate halfs even with 2x.

launch with "+com_allowConsole 1" and then "Ctrl and ~" for the console in game then use "r_multisamples 16". (16 being 16x so you can altar to your liking 2,4,8 etc).

You can also use "+r_multisamples 16" to launch with it but that didn't work for me. This did. Not that I can use it, my framerate halfs even with 2x.

Wait, you have to use console commands for MSAA? No built in options?

Bulk_Rate

For the morbidly curious, I was able to get the game to run on my outdated rig. A friend actually gifted me this game w/o realizing how sad my PC was:

E8400
4Gb
HD6850

Game is unplayable for the most part, but I am surprised it even loaded.

Does not run anywhere near as well as Rage ran on this same rig.

The performance in this game is all over the place. Sometimes it will drop down to 3 fps for no reason whatsoever, and it stays like that for 10-15 secs.

EDIT: Great, now it's stuck at 2-3 fps for no reason. Guess I'll restart the game.

GavinUK86

Wait, you have to use console commands for MSAA? No built in options?

no, theres no in game aa at all.

The performance in this game is all over the place. Sometimes it will drop down to 3 fps for no reason whatsoever, and it stays like that for 10-15 secs.

EDIT: Great, now it's stuck at 2-3 fps for no reason. Guess I'll restart the game.

when that happens to me i switch it all to low and the framerate catches up then i switch it back to what i had it on. it's a weird little bug.

what kind of performance could I expect out of an ivy bridge I5 clocked at 3.2 ghz? My GPU is a 770 and I have 8 gigs of RAM, so Im really just concerned about the processer.

I'm getting terrible performance and major texture pop-in. I get 20fps at 4K, but that's no excuse as I get 40fps in Crysis 3 @ Ultra, and 60fps + on BF4 on ultra. Even when I turn the game to 'low' it doesn't reach 60fps.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm getting terrible performance and major texture pop-in. I get 20fps at 4K, but that's no excuse as I get 40fps in Crysis 3 @ Ultra, and 60fps + on BF4 on ultra. Even when I turn the game to 'low' it doesn't reach 60fps.

Sounds like using too much VRAM (gpu)?

actually i have no clue

dsk1210

I almost pre-ordered this, I will just hold of until its patched to work how the game should have in the first place. Very disappointing to hear the performance and technical issues around the game though.

scitek

Why doesn't V-sync work also? : /

I think it's adaptive like on consoles, meaning it tears when it drops below 60fps. Use Inspector or RadeonPro and force triple buffering with drivers. It's OpenGL so it'll work fine.

EDIT: Beaten

extremely important question. Does the game support 120hz 120fps?

Rage does not.

If it does not, then my extremely negative opinion of idtech5 is solidifying

Human_me

Works well. BTW, I had to enable texture compression as it seems the 3GB VRAM on a 780 isn't enough (drops down to like 1fps), at least at 3440x1440.

Sweet! I'll be getting my new LG 21:9 monitor within the next few days, I'm glad it supports it quite nicely.

Kiant

the built in vsync is adaptive and tears under 60fps so disable it and enable it in your control panel, depending on if you're using nvidia or amd.

Ah fair play, well it's not running too badly on my i7 950 and gtx580 so that's something. Definitely not maxing it.

Levyne

Banned
Ill add those benchmark images to the first post. Was there anything else major I should add? Just now checking the thread at work, first free chance.

Haven't had a chance to boot it up myself.

Automatic multi-GPU rendering (that is, without a game being specifically written for it) is a hack. It's surprising it works in any game at all :p

haha, true to that point. But the fact taht idtech 5 has existed in some form since about 2005... and it still does not support mGPU.... Couldn't they have looked into it in this near decade time?

All idTech versions that use hardware acceleration before that have the ability for mGPU (you can even force it in open GL ports of Doomengine). there are so many things about the engine which make it seem like PC was barely considered during its dev.

120hz support is non-existent, an entire texture loading system (not the authoring part) designed around 5400 RPM harddrives and extremely small ram pools, a lighting and shadowing system which is reminiscent of quake II rather than the still ever impressive unified lighting put forth in idTech4....

Just so disappointing on a tech level... what is the point of getting a game that has so many technical problems running at 60 fps? It should be running at 240 for how it looks... yet it does not evn support the higher modes of low latency which apparently influenced its entire design...

haikira

While in work earlier today, I took a peek in this thread, and was hoping I'd be one of the lucky ones when I got home. Yeah.....not the case. Getting literally 1-2 fps, even cranking everything down. It chugs along, with the audio only working every other second. I've tried playing with both SLI enabled and disabled and i've tried both older drivers and up to date ones.

Specs: 2500k, 670SLI, 8GB Ram

What a fucking disaster.

SLV

Fucking hell, i can play this game decently for a few hours and then i run out of memory and it shuts down, the flickering and artifacting does not help at all either. I am dissapointed, 8 gb of ram and 780 GTX Ti. :/

Try this to improve performance, it improved for me A LOT:

WolfNewOrder_x64-2014-05-20-17-04-41-43-1024x640.jpg

http://in2gpu.com/2014/05/20/wolfenstein-the-new-order-performance-issues/

Also I think r_multisamples is not MSAA samples, because playing in console it says r_multisamples is "8" by default and looks terrible. Tried to force in Catalyst with no luck, anyone got it on AMD cards?

PD: console is CTRL+ ~ (key below ESC) and you have to enable it in command line with "WolfNewOrder_x64.exe" +com_allowConsole 1 +com_skipIntroVideo 1

Moff

how the hell does this still have the same terrible texture pop ins like rage? its what I definitely hated the most about rage and it really bothers me here, too. damnit.

Wonder how my Phenom II X4 955 and 6850 are going to do ha

Will you report back and say? I'm geniunely interested. I have a similar processor and graphics card laying around and have been curious for a while as to whether it's worth building it up as another machine.. Obviously I'm not expecting miracles, but if games coming out now are still playable then why the hell not!

Top Bottom