• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman dies while riding roller coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLEABttn

Banned
Every single roller coaster I've been on with modern rolling stock allowed for the rider themselves to adjust the restraint to be tighter (but never looser) so I find it strange that, in this specific instance, the restraints supposedly don't work that way.

1 in 300,000,000 doesn't mean shit if you're the 1. If it's you, the stats are 100%.

No way am I riding this kind of shit again. Not letting my safety depend on faulty mechanics or dumb teenagers. If I'm going to disneyland again, no more space mountain or big thunder. Just Indiana Jones and It's a Small World. No way to die on that.

You'll slip in the line and impale yourself on those spikes.

TDLink

I don't have 300,000,000 lives to burn through. If there's a chance, I'm not taking it. Would you play a game of russian roulette? No, and neither would I.

Well do you drive a car? If you do then the chance is even greater than riding a roller coaster.

If you really believe what you say perhaps you could find a foam bubble to roll around in.

DBT85

I don't have 300,000,000 lives to burn through. If there's a chance, I'm not taking it. Would you play a game of russian roulette? No, and neither would I.

So you also aren't going to fly, drive, walk on the street, do any drugs, smoke, drink etc etc?

Izayoi

Banned
By your definition, you're playing Russian roulette every morning when you wake up.

Things more likely to kill you than a roller coaster (times more likely in parenthesis):

- Cancer (x42,857,142)
- Car accident (x3,750,000)
- Assault by firearm (x923,076)
- Terrorist attack (x230,769)
- Electrocution (x60,000)
- Drowning (x33,549)
- Falling in shower (x27,272)
- Tornado (x5,000)
- Lightning (x3,750)
- Skydiving (x3,000)
- Plane crash (x300)

Hope you've got your padded room ready. Straight jacket might suffocate you, though, might want to be careful about that.

Afrikan

Just reading about this.. :(

I was just at Great America yesterday...my little cousins didn't get on any rides after the first one. The newest one Gold Striker.

When i went on the Endeavor (used to be called Revolution) the worker on my side was laughing in disbelief because the other worker forgot to "lock" something. She just stood there like "did she really forget to lock it?" Ans stood there until the other girl noticed her and came back. This ride is a big ship that hangs upside down for a few seconds and does loops.

RidePhoto.php

A couple of weeks ago we went to Santa Cruz Beachboard walk and we went on this kiddy kind of ride that you lay flat on and it just goes in circles. Well the youngest sister who as with me noticed that her sisters ride light thingy was still red and not green like it was suppose be. We had to tell the worker, and the worker was like. "Thankx". I spoke to the worker privately afterwords because i didn't want to worry the girls. Told the little one great job and how important it is to pay attention to details like that. (While beating myself up in the inside for not noticing myself)

After hearing this story about this poor woman and her family, i'm glad i didn't pressure my little cousins on these rides.

As far as myself, i just upgraded my Great America ticket to a season pass before i left.....but now...i might need some time.

By your definition, you're playing Russian roulette every morning when you wake up.

Things more likely to kill you than a roller coaster (times more likely in parenthesis):

- Cancer (x42,857,142)
- Car accident (x3,750,000)
- Assault by firearm (x923,076)
- Terrorist attack (x230,769)
- Electrocution (x60,000)
- Drowning (x33,549)
- Falling in shower (x27,272)
- Tornado (x5,000)
- Lightning (x3,750)
- Skydiving (x3,000)
- Plane crash (x300)

Hope you've got your padded room ready. Straight jacket might suffocate you, though, might want to be careful about that.

There I things I can control and things I can't. I have zero control once I'm in a roller coaster. All I can do is pray that nothing goes wrong.

Izayoi

Banned
There I things I can control and things I can't. I have zero control once I'm in a roller coaster. All I can do is pray that nothing goes wrong.
You have zero control when someone smashes into you at 60MPH on the highway.

You have zero control when the friction keeping your feet firmly attached to the shower floor breaks for just a very slight second.

You have zero control when a faulty wire shocks you to death when you go to plug something in.

You have zero control when a terrorist decides that your office building would be a good one to blow up that particular day.

You have zero control when an asteroid destroys the earth.

You have zero control when abnormal cells in your body begin multiplying and you later find that you have cancer.

You see where I'm going with this? How do you live in fear of death so constantly? You must be absolutely miserable.

Eric C

I remember when I was like 7-8 and I rode a roller coaster that had just this lap lock. I was a skinny kid and the final click position wasn't anywhere near my legs. I was shitting my pants so hard.

I remember my first time on the Magnum at Ceder Point, I was 8 or 9, I was so skinny that I easily could've stood up and got out of the lap restraint, even though it was set to it's lowest level. I was so scared that air time was going to throw me out of the seat. Until I got bigger that was the only coaster where I held on to the bar.

You have zero control when the friction keeping your feet firmly attached to the shower floor breaks for just a very slight second.

You have zero control when a faulty wire shocks you to death when you go to plug something in.

You have zero control when a terrorist decides that your office building would be a good one to blow up that particular day.

You have zero control when abnormal cells in your body begin multiplying and you later find that you have cancer.

You see where I'm going with this? How do you live in fear of death so constantly? You must be absolutely miserable.

You're posting silly examples. Yes a terrorist can blow up a building I'm in. That can also happen at home. Nothing I can about that except pray it doesn't happen. But I can reduce my chances of getting hurt on a roller coaster down to zero simply by not getting on one.

Izayoi

Banned
You're posting silly examples. Yes a terrorist can blow up a building I'm in. That can also happen at home. Nothing I can about that except pray it doesn't happen. But I can reduce my chances of getting hurt on a roller coaster down to zero simply by not getting on one.
Silly example = car accident, cancer, electrocution, slipping in shower? All things thousands (sometimes millions) of times more likely to happen than death via roller coaster?

LOL

Willful ignorance in all of its glory, folks. Isn't it beautiful?

You are literally 600 times more likely to die of an asteroid striking the earth than you are from a roller coaster-related mishap.

oooooh, that click once thing happened to me back in ... was it 2000? on the wooden coaster at Six Flags in Atlanta, GA. my safety harness was loose as fuck and i held on for dear life! scariest coaster ride i ever had!

Yea I understand it quells irrational fears, but saying that you as a person are more likely to die in a car crash than in a roller coaster or in an airplane is still bogus when it comes to reality cause you just dont onow how youll die. You can just say, yea chances are low that youll die today, but that doesnt really mean anything cause you could just die today. How did these stats help this lady?

The alternative is fear of everything. Your argument is completely specious because you're forgetting the other 299,999,999 people who didn't die on rollercoasters. Everything carries a risk. That's economics. The question is how to best way those risks against the benefits, and make informed decisions based on the facts and your own personal values. You could just die today of a heart attack, or you could get hit by a bus, what the hell are you trying to say?

1 in 300,000,000 doesn't mean shit if you're the 1. If it's you, the stats are 100%.

No way am I riding this kind of shit again. Not letting my safety depend on faulty mechanics or dumb teenagers. If I'm going to disneyland again, no more space mountain or big thunder. Just Indiana Jones and It's a Small World. No way to die on that.

You'll have to fly to get there, wouldn't want to risk the plane crashing. You'll have to drive to the park, wouldn't want to risk dying in a car crash. You'll have to spend the day in the sun, wouldn't want to risk getting skin cancer. You'll probably partake in a cheeseburger while you're there, likely to give you heart disease later in life. You'll have to opt out of the big gulp soda, wouldn't want that type-II diabetes later on down the road.

Every single thing you do carries a greater risk than riding a rollercoaster.

You are literally 600 times more likely to die of an asteroid striking the earth than you are from a roller coaster-related mishap.

Absolutely zero asteroid related fatalities come to mind, while it seems like a couple times a year someone dies in a roller coaster incident.

Out of sight, out of mind.

I agree with this post completely, but to be fair all of those deaths sound slightly more desireable than being thrown out of a ride and forced through a 5by7 inch hole by mechanical gears like I posted a few pages back. I mean HOLY MOTHER OF FINAL DESTINATION FUCK!

I doubt this would have anything to do with Texas regulations. Wouldn't Six Flags have consistent safety procedures across all their parks?
maybe but the one in Cali does double checks for restrains on some of the rides by different emoloyees. Not sure if it is standard policy.

I've ridden both the old Texas giant and the new Texas giant. The old Texas Giant definitely seemed a little unsafe but the new one seemed okay. This is just an absolutely terrible way to go. Just awful....

Sorian

Banned
Throughout my 4 years of college (which I finished last year), I believe me and a buddy did magic mountain in california at least 30 times. I'll continue to gamble with my life I guess.

Edit:

Definitely some of that going on, but to just straight up ignore facts when they are presented?

It boggles my mind.

I'm in your camp here but your "600 times" quote does not seem to be fact.

On May 1, 2004, a 53-year-old, 230 lb (104.5 kg) man from Bloomfield, Connecticut fell out of his coaster seat during the last turn and was killed. Reports show that the ride attendant had not checked that the guest's ride restraint was secure[40] as his girth was too large for the T-bar-shaped ride restraint to close properly

superman ride at six flags.

Tonguer

The OP report and few of these other stories are horrifying. I have no words for the heartache over the boy that lost his mother during that ride. My god.

Taking my family to a local amusement park tomorrow. My wife and son love rollercoasters, they scare me. Why am I reading this thread?

Apath

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metr...n-texas-giant-roller-coaster-at-six-flags.ece

Our Tanya Eiserer spoke with Carmen Brown of Arlington, who says she was next in line to ride the Texas Giant behind the woman who fell to her death this evening. She told Tanya she witnessed the woman being strapped into the ride. She was sitting next to her son.

The woman, said Brown, “basically tumbled over and you just see her son [go], ‘Ahhh.’ They didn’t secure her right. One of the employees from the park — one of the ladies — she asked her to click her more than once, and they were like, ‘As long you heard it click, you’re OK.’ Everybody else is like, ‘Click, click, click.’ Hers only clicked once. Hers was the only one that went down once, and she didn’t feel safe, but they let her still get on the ride. …

“That could have been me.”

Brown said the woman’s young son was in a seat in front of his mother.

“We heard her screaming,” Brown said. “We were like, ‘Did she just fall?’”
Holy shit, I had a very similar experience once. That poor woman and her kid..

Say what? I'm pretty sure you're the one posting silly things. There are probably a hundred things you choose do on a daily basis that has more of a chance of killing you than a roller coaster.

It should be illegal to have a ride where you aren't 100% safe. Someone should go to prison over this.

Are these all attempts at trolling? I don't get what's going on here.

Izayoi

Banned
I'm never going to Six Flags , it seems too many people die riding rides there.
:lol

It's just joke posting at this point, right?

of course, humans built these things.
????

It's not the designer's fault that the dude was fat and the attendant was lazy.

Are these all attempts at trolling? I don't get what's going on here.
It should be illegal to have a [any moving vehicle in existence] that isn't 100% safe. Someone should go to prison over this.

Slavik81

The one that gets me is The Edge. It was one of those vertical drop rides where the car is pulled up like an elevator, rolls forward and drops down. Apparently, a car with 3 people on it rolled backwards back into the elevator shaft. They survived, but damn that would be terrifying. That's exactly what's not supposed to happen.

The ride was torn down a few years later. Even after mechanical changes to prevent that from happening again, few people wanted to ride it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Silly example = car accident, cancer, electrocution, slipping in shower? All things thousands (sometimes millions) of times more likely to happen than death via roller coaster?

LOL

But if you're not strapped in correctly your chances of an incident go way up. The risk isn't evenly distributed.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Here's a POV video of the ride. Not the accident ride of course...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtbCi6xts7s

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

Look at the 3:47-3:48 Timestamp, ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!

Both of them almost fly the fuck out of their restraints, WHAT THE FUCK!

That shit is UNFUCKINGSAFE!

My heart stopped right at the moment

The guy on the right almost flew out, the restraint held them down, but I think I know how the mother died now =/

Thank fuck they have they have those window barriers to the side, you know there would be assholes/idiots trying to spread their arm and try to get that flying motion
The structure being close, gave me chills, so of those tunnels/banks the coaster just looks so freaky

Afrikan

The one that gets me is The Edge. It was one of those vertical drop rides where the car is pulled up like an elevator, rolls forward and drops down. Apparently, a car with 3 people on it rolled backwards back into the elevator shaft. They survived, but damn that would be terrifying. That's exactly what's not supposed to happen.

The ride was torn down a few years later. Even after mechanical changes to prevent that from happening again, few people wanted to ride it.

I remember it...ride was terrifying when i was kid.

It didn't help when other kids used to talk about a girl who had long hair and her hair got caught on the top of the ride before going down......and her scalp got ripped off. First, i don't even know if that is possible or if the story was true. But it scared me shitless.

But if you're not strapped in correctly your chances of an incident go way up. The risk isn't evenly distributed.

Right, but you're either strapped in or not. Knowing if you're strapped in is well within your control. If you don't check whether you have a basic safety on a roller coaster (that is usually automatically controlled) AND the attendant doesn't check, then it's pretty much the perfect storm. That's like saying if your brakes don't work on your car then your chances of incident go way up.

Of course your statement is true, but it doesn't really contribute proof as to why roller coasters are unsafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom