• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman Review thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Well reviews started to leak out so it went up.

Not surprised we are this deep either since it is one of the Trinity well 13/7 now if you are into superior 100 posts viewing.

I LOVE YOU GREEN LANTERN!
It kinda disappointed me because I was expecting a lot more reviews with how large the thread was and seeing it was posted at 8 a.m., thought the OP was just doing a terrible job

I LOVE YOU GREEN LANTERN!

While we're mocking weird internet habits like taking IGN film reviews seriously and starting new threads because you're pouty nobody noticed your post in the already-existing-and-very-popular thread

Let's talk about future-quoting and how much it sucks.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
3562255-8241423270-tu2duc8.gif

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I know this doing well bodes well for female-led superhero movies but I hope it also shows studios "Hey look, female directors can do this shit as well as any male".

What I hope is that they see this and give Patty Man of Steel 2. You guys wanted that All-Star Superman? She's the person to get you that.

That hardcore gamer review reminds me that every character who meets Diana must first comment on how beautiful she is. There's nothing wrong with a few instances of that, but I swear it happens at least 7 times.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Higher than Thor 2 please.

Why?

Because fuck Thor 2. That's why.

Will the Thor trilogy be the first film trilogy in the world to feature one mediocre first movie, followed by one appalling second instalment followed by one great third installment?

The game is on!

Einchy

That hardcore gamer review reminds me that every character who meets Diana must first comment on how beautiful she is. There's nothing wrong with a few instances of that, but I swear it happens at least 7 times.

Spoilers, I guess? Sorta? Not really?

I think that's done on purpose just to show you how sexist their society was back then, and I guess in some ways how ours is. I especially like the scene where they all lose their shit because a woman is present at their meeting.

Toxi

Banned
This is Wonder Woman. She's beautiful. I would advise not getting killed by her. Her sword steals the souls of its victims.

Toxi

Banned
Will the Thor trilogy be the first film trilogy in the world to feature one mediocre first movie, followed by one appalling second instalment followed by one great third installment?

The game is on!
Nightmare on Elm's Street? Granted, the second movie's not that bad.

The game is on!

If you go with wolverine trilogy. It's one dogshit movie, one that is just about decent, and one amazing film

RDreamer

The game is on!

No, because calling the first one even mediocre is hyperbolic at best.

Einchy

This is Wonder Woman. She's beautiful. I would advise not getting killed by her. Her sword steals the souls of its victims.

Nice to meet you! I love your perfume, what is that? The smell of fresh tomatoes?

Speevy

Banned

The game is on!

More likely critics are just going to think Ragnarok is funny and visually arresting, but tonally weird.

Toparaman

Banned
Critical Hit
@CriticalHitNet
Critical Hit is built on the idea that we are more than one thing. Are you a hardcore gamer who also enjoys a night out at the movies?

South Africa
criticalhit.net
Joined October 2010

I think it might be best if we just wait for the embargo to drop and sites like Vulture, Variety, Hollywood Reporter, NYTimes, AVClub, FilmFreak, Atlantic, New Yorker, Slate, etc. to start dropping their pieces.

That rare breed of gamer that also watches movies.

I stand by that because making a movie like Guardians of the Galaxy is a feat of filmmaking: bigger team, bigger production, more ambitious and larger stakes. And I think Guardians succeeds at what it sets out to do. It's supposed to be an adventure story set in a fantasy land with charming characters and nothing more. Just the amount of effort it takes to animate that damn Raccoon and make him believeable is an accomplishment.

I watched Moonlight and, while I respect it, it's a movie that ultimately didn't leave a mark on me. I feel like I've seen stronger efforts in that style from people like Wong Kar Wai. I would discuss my thoughts of it at length, but not in this thread. If you want me to take the discussion into PM's, then I'm down.

But I don't feel like I've said anything outlandish. Making good movies is hard as hell.

I totally respect preferring escapist films over realistic dramas. I just think most of Marvel's movies are too light and snarky to leave a real impact on me other than "that was fun". Whereas stuff like the Star Wars OT, the first two Aliens, LOTR, Terminator 1/2 has some dramatic weight and dares to take itself seriously, which in turn gives a sense of meaning and importance, even if it is just a facade.

(The DCU has tried to be more weighty, but the execution has been so poor that I'm tempted to think that it's impossible for a shared superhero universe to have compelling drama, if only because the core concept is so inherently ridiculous and averse to actual stakes and consequences.)

Toa TAK

Banned
I've still yet to see the second movie because I can't even fathom how something can be worse than the first one. It's offensively bad and one of my least favorite movies I've ever had the displeasure of watching.
I re-read the post you replied to. You're not wrong.

I know this doing well bodes well for female-led superhero movies but I hope it also shows studios "Hey look, female directors can do this shit as well as any male".

Sofia Copolla just won best director at Cannes, first woman in like more than 30 years apparently

And Lynne Ramsays movie with Joauquin is getting a lot of buzz. Pretty good year for women directors right now

SpaceWolf

Banned
Nightmare on Elm's Street? Granted, the second movie's not that bad.

I haven't watched those films actually, so I can't really judge. I need to get on that.

No, because calling the first one even mediocre is hyperbolic at best.

You know what? You're absoloutely right. I was being generous.

If you go with wolverine trilogy. It's one dogshit movie, one that is just about decent, and one amazing film

Damn. Good call.

More likely critics are just going to think Ragnarok is funny and visually arresting, but tonally weird.

The light-hearted, eccentric tone in the trailer seemed to be pretty consistent. Hard to judge till we've seen the film though, I grant you.

Spoilers, I guess? Sorta? Not really?

I think that's done on purpose just to show you how sexist their society was back then, and I guess in some ways how ours is. I especially like the scene where they all lose their shit because a woman is present at their meeting.
I got that same feeling too. And I liked the scene you mention for that reason, but it felt like the only successful attempt from the film to deal with
sexism in that period.

El Topo

I think you've reached the bottom of the barrell if you start distrusting reliable sources like retalhoclub, cromossomonerd and cinepop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom