• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonderful 101 first Review: "ample justification for Nintendo's eccentric hardware"

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Nintendo should advertise the fuck out of this game! Can't leave this potential hanging by the wayside!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Just curious, what's your issue with the writing?
Stylistically it is overloaded and scatterbrained. It also doesn't really say much about the game on its own terms, and the incessant Pikmin comparisons require and unnecessary frame of reference while drawing attention and detail to what game the review is really about. Nothing about the mechanics or events described here are really detailed or elaborated on in a way that feels informative.

Cranreuch

Neo Member
The game looks beautiful and characterful, but I haven't really been able to make sense of the little gameplay I've seen thusfar, I'm delighted that the first review we've got is positive, but I wish it was less meandering and actually talked about the core gameplay a bit more.

AwShucks

I've been excited about this since it was announced. BUT...I'm not buying a Wii U quite yet. Probably when Bayonetta 2 gets released I will pick one up with this game as well.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Sounds like it could be the game that makes the weh weh weh game pad crowd eat their hats. I hope the Wii U survives long enough for more games to do things with it that would be impossible on another system.

Muzy72

Banned
All you fuckers who own a Wii U but complain about lack of games/lack of new IP better buy this game. I really want it to succeed ;_;

Kouriozan

All you fuckers who own a Wii U but complain about lack of games/lack of new IP better buy this game. I really want it to succeed ;_;
But the people who complains about how this game will bomb either don't have a Wii U or don't actually care about this game.
Some people want to watch the world
Nintendo/Platinum
burn.

megalowho

Wow at the misleading thread title. The game sounds good already, no need to use quotes out of context to push a narrative. Just makes the hype seem desperate.

Looking forward to more opinions once it's on shelves, not crazy about Pikmin style gameplay in general but this looks like a lot of fun. Go get em, Platinum.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

While this is truth here, the sad part is I suspect it doesn't matter what platform W101 was on.

It might have a shot at selling a few 100k more on PS360 purely due to size of userbase, but sadly stuff like this tends to get ignored by the average gamer today.

Ridley327

Wow at the misleading thread title. The game sounds good already, no need to use quotes out of context to push a narrative. Just makes the hype seem desperate.

Looking forward to more opinions once it's on shelves, not crazy about Pikmin style gameplay in general but this looks like a lot of fun. Go get em, Platinum.

This game plays absolutely nothing like Pikmin.

thefro

Can someone sell me on this game in video form? I keep hearing about it and have seen it but every time I look at it, there's just a lot of stuff going on that I don't understand.

Hopefully the Nintendo Direct on Friday does that. I don't think there's a really good demo of the game on video since it's either the NOA folks talking over the game or some IGN guy who can't draw a line on the gamepad.

The game looks beautiful and characterful, but I haven't really been able to make sense of the little gameplay I've seen thusfar, I'm delighted that the first review we've got is positive, but I wish it was less meandering and actually talked about the core gameplay a bit more.

http://platinumgames.com/games/the-wonderful-101/ Basically just read that from Kamiya's introduction post near the bottom up. I'd read this for sure (the third blog post). But basically every post so far is adding another wrinkle or mechanic to the basic gameplay.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
That was a genuine mistake, one that everyone with reading comprehension could see at first glance, but me. I'd edit it if I could but a mod will need to help me there.

Definitely buying this. It's one of the main reasons I got my Wii U back near launch and I couldn't be more ready to finally get this in my hands.

Darryl

Banned

you caught the part about taking the thread title out of context but somehow think it is Pikmin style gameplay

totowhoa

Banned
Er, the quote used in the title is about Platinum's work in general rather than W101. Glad you posted the review, but that's a bit misleading :p

majik13

im torn I have rayman pre ordered with a promo deal, but wondering if I can swap it out for this game, if bestbuy allows it.

Neiteio

Er, the quote used in the title is about Platinum's work in general rather than W101. Glad you posted the review, but that's a bit misleading :p
No+Spin+Zone.jpg

Ridley327

Absolutely nothing sounds like hyperbole to me especially after reading the review, but good news for sure.

I've actually played the game, so I do have some inkling of what I'm talking about. Generally speaking, it's what would happen if Viewtiful Joe played more like Bayonetta.

marc^o^

In my haste to post the review from my iPhone I took a sexy quote, which happened to be about Platinum's work in general, sorry again for that. At least my haste brought us the review before it got pulled :p

Frodo

People coming here to say this game wont sell:

tumblr_mgqn2xw3C91r5ls6go1_500.gif

You are what is wrong with this industry. Game is going to be great. If it doesn't sell it talks more about the current states of the video game industry than about the game itself, like all recent previous Platinum Games.

This sales argument does not make the game worse or less fun to be played. Another argument about the game, fair enough, everyone is entitle to their opinions. But this "it will bomb", "it wont sell" does not add anything to a healthy and constructive discussion about the game, if anything it does the exact opposite. And I'm honestly tired of it.

Can we move on, now?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
People sure love posting about how this is gonna flop.

define "flop."

It would be relatively easy for the game to outside Vanquish under normal circumstances.
Given the lack of software conversion on Wii U now though, I once thought that a lock... now, I doubt it. It would have to outsell Lego City Stories to do that, and if that's the bar, Nintendo will have to sell a decent chunk of core Nintendo-only-fans over to the IP. There aren't enough of traditional core gamers to get it to 200k as it is now, in my opinion.

At least not at launch.
A great holiday can get it there!

Neiteio

@ Frodo: I think the people saying the game won't sell are people who are interested in the game and concerned about Nintendo doing little to promote it beyond a Nintendo Direct (which is preaching to the choir in the first place). No need to get your spandex in a knot!

People coming here to say this game wont sell:

tumblr_mgqn2xw3C91r5ls6go1_500.gif

You are what is wrong with this industry. Game is going to be great. If it doesn't sell it talks more about the current states of the video game industry than about the game itself, like all recent previous Platinum Games.

This sales argument does not make the game worse or less fun to be played. Another argument about the game, fair enough, everyone is entitle to their opinions. But this "it will bomb", "it wont sell" does not add anything to a healthy and constructive discussion about the game, if anything it does the exact opposite. And I'm honestly tired of it.

Can we move on, now?

This is a discussion board for gaming enthusiasts, that are dedicated to gaming as a major hobby, hence interested in different aspects of the industry and sales happen to be a big, sometimes even crucial part of it. Maybe you should get out of here, if you can't deal with it?

marc^o^

@ Frodo: I think the people saying the game won't sell are people who are interested in the game and concerned about Nintendo doing little to promote it beyond a Nintendo Direct (which is preaching to the choir in the first place). No need to get your spandex in a knot!
Nintendo Directs get at least a news on most gaming sites. I doubt gamers will not know about the new Platinum game by the time it launches. But I think you're totally right about missing a whole broader audience with lack of advertizing for this game. Kids need to know about it, I would have gone nuts for this artstyle/super hero stuff. I don't get why Nintendo doesn't go all in with such a hand.

Xun

Good to hear! I'll have to get it once I finish up on Pikmin.

Also a tad OT, but is it 60fps? I forget.

Top Bottom