• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonderful 101 first Review: "ample justification for Nintendo's eccentric hardware"

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It isnt that gamepad that interprets the shape, it is the game. When you draw the shape you see exactly what you drew.

It would be the gamepads fault if you drew an S and it looked like an E or drew and O and it looked like an I. But from what I see what you draw is what you get but the game doesn't interpret the shape well.

I still wished she showed some examples of the shapes she is drawing and what was happening on screen, then we would know if it is user error or the games fault.

Not only that, but the shape turns the color of the morph you'll get as you're drawing it if it will recognize and accept that shape.(presumably so you know you got the form and can concentrate on size for bigger morphs)

So I don't understand drawing an S and being surprised that it gave you a sword. You'd know you'd be getting a sword because your S was blue.

and it's also not real time. Game state slows during Unite Morphs so you can take your time drawing and probably still continue combos when you're done.

I haven't played the game and I can see the potential for issue, but given what I've observed from videos I think Platinum has put alot of consideration into combating these issues in the design of the game. They've(Kamiya) learned alot since Okami with this kind of thing. (which is essentially what it is. Okami's drawing mechanics in a more action oriented game)

Tsunamo

I was planning to get a Wii U in October, but The Wonderful 101 is really tempting me to bite on getting the system early.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Do you have to change to the hand when you're already Wonder Red?

I don't think you have to draw the shape to form the morph every time when you've already drawn it to switch to that character. There's probably a button to form it quickly since you want to drop it at times during combat for mobility.

That is a good thing to point out.

I wonder how the gameplay mechanics will change for that mode.

That's not from an actual vs mode.

I'm not sure there is a vs mode announced. Just competitive co-op

Do you have to change to the hand when you're already Wonder Red?

I don't think you have to draw the shape to form the morph every time when you've already drawn it to switch to that character. There's probably a button to form it quickly since you want to drop it at times during combat for mobility.

That's not from an actual vs mode.

The official website stated this...

"Gather up to four friends to fight by your side in local co-op multiplayer, or compete head-to-head in battle mode as one of the Wonderful Ones."

thefro

From the Amazon description:

Recruit friends to fight cooperatively by your side in multiplayer, or compete head to head in battle mode.

Key Features
Lead a horde of superheroes in a fight against alien invaders
Recruit new heroes to learn powerful new abilities
Take on alien invaders in intense, over-the-top battles
Buy new abilities and upgrades at the ingame shop
Battle alongside friends in co-op multiplayer, or take them on in battle mode (additional accessories are required for multiplayer mode; sold separately)

just preordered

ijmN8meVYB3x7.gif

ijmN8meVYB3x7.gif

ijmN8meVYB3x7.gif

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Oh

well that video is just meant to demonstrate spring morph regardless. So I don't think quick form is something exclusive to versus

edit: please go easy on the gifs. Definitely don't need to post the same one 3 times in one post...

Exile20

Not only that, but the shape turns the color of the morph you'll get as you're drawing it if it will recognize and accept that shape.(presumably so you know you got the form and can concentrate on size for bigger morphs)

So I don't understand drawing an S and being surprised that it gave you a sword. You'd know you'd be getting a sword because your S was blue.

and it's also not real time. Game state slows during Unite Morphs so you can take your time drawing and probably still continue combos when you're done.

I haven't played the game and I can see the potential for issue, but given what I've observed from videos I think Platinum has put alot of consideration into combating these issues in the design of the game. They've(Kamiya) learned alot since Okami with this kind of thing. (which is essentially what it is. Okami's drawing mechanics in a more action oriented game)

You are right, so you know by the color what you are going to transform into before you actually transform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHMXp9h0VnI

Oh

well that video is just meant to demonstrate spring morph regardless. So I don't think quick form is something exclusive to versus

edit: please go easy on the gifs. Definitely don't need to post the same one 3 times in one post...

hmm, I think you're right.

I thought that was the blue hero at first. Seems to be one of the enemies as it looks like the blue guy is with the group.

Im sure we'll see battlemode in the direct tomorrow.

May be the closest thing we'll get to powerstone, in superhero form.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Im sure we'll see battlemode in the direct tomorrow.

May be the closest thing we'll get to powerstone, in superhero form.

I hope so. I didn't even know there was one until right now and I thought I was following media of this game closer than most. :x

I hope so. I didn't even know there was one until right now and I thought I was following media of this game closer than most. :x

I checked the official site again, and it looks like they took the battlemode information off of it.

Someone must of revealed it too soon.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
While the game might be great, I don't think any game will ever justify the need for the gamepad. It's a pointless device.
Also this month: Rayman Legends. It has demonstrated the need for the GamePad just fine last year at Gamescom, it will still do so this month, at launch.

Chozolore

I'm going to buy this, the kids played the demo through about 20 times. That's rare. Buying a game after playing a demo, that's even rarer.

30% off for buying pikmin 3 helps.

Edit - *of course it's going to be at least 30% more expensive on the eShop compared to Amazon.

Frodo

I'm going to buy this, the kids played the demo through about 20 times. That's rare. Buying a game after playing a demo, that's even rarer.

30% off for buying pikmin 3 helps.

Edit - *of course it's going to be at least 30% more expensive on the eShop compared to Amazon.

Price listed on eShop UK was £39,90, IIRC.

Top Bottom