• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonderful 101 first Review: "ample justification for Nintendo's eccentric hardware"

Frodo

Gladdens me to know there is still people around to enjoy this kind of game. :)

Platinum certainly deserves the love. <3

DihcarEM

By far my most anticipated game of the year, the only thing that comes close to it is Bayonetta 2 but that's for 2014.
As for TW101, i just bought a wii u for Pikmin 3, but i always intended to get one when TW101 was released.
Loving how much content we are getting, said to surpass even Bayonetta in content which is amazing. Only 2 more weeks.

Excite.

Those long, long months from launch to now without anything will be soon forgotten when we have got Pikmin, W101, WWHD, DKC and Mario to play :)

Ever since Project P-100, I was right there.
Love at first sight. =D

I must say I wasn't sold at first. The game was presented in the most idiotic way possible, and simply looked cheap... but the recent footage, info etc, made me a believer. It's great how it came together, and I'm glad I preordered it.

_Clash_

consider me excited.

Would like to see some TV ads for this. I can't help but feel this is marketable to a wide market.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Normally I'd say buy one, but as you've already waited this long, you might as well hold out for an official price cut.

I can get one through a points system thing with the work, its overprice compared to other things I can get though, as in costs the same amount of points as an ipad mini.

Still though, love them bright graphics and unique looking gameplay.

shibbs

I can not wait. Looks freakin awesome. Did not play my Wii U for months but first pikmin and this next month. Happy gamer :)

I can not wait. Looks freakin awesome. Did not play my Wii U for months but first pikmin and this next month. Happy gamer :)

image.php

rvy

Banned
Man, you Nintendo WiiU owners have a chance to be legit as fuck by buying this game.
Do it. I don't even have a WiiU and I'm buying it.

Crap that's a good review. I really hope this game does well and Nintendo just straight up buys Platinum to make them a 1st party. They could be a major asset to Nintendo, filling in that gap they have in the "hardcore developer" spot.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Good read but I'm actually surprised it took this long to get one of these types of reviews which commends the HW a little. That's not a compliment but more of a criticism.

W101 is looking like a fun game though. The day I get a WiiU, I will be looking into it.

Hypron

Crap that's a good review. I really hope this game does well and Nintendo just straight up buys Platinum to make them a 1st party. They could be a major asset to Nintendo, filling in that gap they have in the "hardcore developer" spot.

I really hope they don't. I want platinum to stay independent and continue to release games on all major platforms (and I do own a wii u).

Famassu

Nooooo, why did you have to end up being so good!?

I was hoping this was a bad game so I wouldn't have to get a Wii U in the near future.
Not really, I don't even think Kamiya can direct a bad game, he's certainly not done one so far. Just makes me sad that I don't have a Wii U and unless I'm lucky in finding a decent job, won't have in a long while.

StiLt

Looks like Platinum really knuckled down and did a fine job on this one. Now hopefully ninty actually come to the party and market the shit out of it. Sounds like it deserves a lot more success than it's likely to receive, given the wider narrative of the platform itself at the moment.

I don't get the idea that this is a system seller in itself (certainly not enough all by itself in my case), but it def looks like a strong addition to the catalogue.

I really hope they don't. I want platinum to stay independent and continue to release games on all major platforms (and I do own a wii u).

Do they have anything known in development for other platforms right now other than W101 and Bayonetta 2? It seems like right now they are basically a Nintendo 2nd party (they develop, Nintendo publishes).

Nintendo likes to keep some developers like this rather than fully absorb them, probably because they are unsure if the company can deliver a hit every time. Platinum might end up like this if they aren't fully acquired.

Technically speaking, Pokemon is actually a 2nd party title. You'd think they would have fully acquired GameFreak, but they haven't. I wonder if they do this for accounting reasons, as they wouldn't have to claim those developers as their own. Maybe it helps with their taxes?

for those who have played it, is it possible to play for someone who has limited arm/hand movement? how much more do you have to do than just press the buttons?

Technically speaking, Pokemon is actually a 2nd party title. You'd think they would have fully acquired GameFreak, but they haven't. I wonder if they do this for accounting reasons, as they wouldn't have to claim those developers as their own. Maybe it helps with their taxes?

technically speaking something like a 2nd party doesn't exist :p

BadWolf

Huge PG fan so would love to play this and Bayonetta 2 but alas the WiiU isn't worth a purchase for me.

Guess I'll watch playthroughs on youtube or something.

Subaru

Do they have anything known in development for other platforms right now other than W101 and Bayonetta 2? It seems like right now they are basically a Nintendo 2nd party (they develop, Nintendo publishes).

Nintendo likes to keep some developers like this rather than fully absorb them, probably because they are unsure if the company can deliver a hit every time. Platinum might end up like this if they aren't fully acquired.

It seems that they're gonna make Rising 2, and I bet that won't be only on Wii U - or even be on Wii U.

jmls1121

Banned
Ugh, I can see IGN and Gamespot giving a bad score because the game is too hard or you have to, umm, use your brain and learn controls and stuff. The same thing happened to ZombiU.

Its a sad state for the industry if "press A to win" is seen as the only accetable input option

Does this confirm no Pro Controller support, since some sections of the game require touch-pad?

Seriously, though, I'm giving this game a second look. At first I thought I might not be able to justify $59 for an untested franchise given Wind Waker, Pokemon, Link Between Worlds, and 3D World all coming out this year, but I have to admit... this looks more fun than Pikmin 3.

Air

Banned
Oh IGN. Sounds like they're going to give the game an 8 or so.

Does this confirm no Pro Controller support, since some sections of the game require touch-pad?

Seriously, though, I'm giving this game a second look. At first I thought I might not be able to justify $59 for an untested franchise given Wind Waker, Pokemon, Link Between Worlds, and 3D World all coming out this year, but I have to admit... this looks more fun than Pikmin 3.

There is pro controller support

Subaru

Ugh, I can see IGN and Gamespot giving a bad score because the game is too hard or you have to, umm, use your brain and learn controls and stuff. The same thing happened to ZombiU.

Skyward Sword too.. oh gosh, I hate these journalists.

What does it say in a nutshell, without spoilers?

Gamepad has a hard time recognizing control inputs. Sometimes you swear you drew a S, you get a sword, sometimes it straight up won't recognize your drawings, etc. Also, the tiny characters mixed with the chaotic scrappy action often makes it hard to see where exactly you and all your teammates are.

Subaru

Gamepad has a hard time recognizing control inputs. Sometimes you swear you drew a S, you get a sword, sometimes it straight up won't recognize your drawings, etc. Also, the tiny characters mixed with the chaotic scrappy action often makes it hard to see where exactly you and all your teammates are.

Since you often have a HUGE SHINY weapon, I think it won't be a problem do find yourself in the midle of the chaos.

People also said Bayonetta was hard to decipher in combat but I had no issues there. We'll see.

As for drawing, I could see that being an issue, but you'd think with some of the members of Okami in the company, they'd have a handle on getting drawing shape recognition down by now. Again, we'll see.

Exile20

Why didn't she gave examples?

I want to see the shapes she is drawing and see what happens on screen. I hope she knows that obviously the shapes need to be exaggerated and might have to take up the whole screen.

Top Bottom