• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonderful 101 first Review: "ample justification for Nintendo's eccentric hardware"

I've read the review, I've seen the footage for months and I just don't get the fascination with this project. I don't say it just to sound contrary to everyone else, but it just looks like utter shit. I don't get it.

In all sincerity, what is a single redeeming quality people are seeing in this game?

It's made by Platinum, directed by Kamiya, and people who have actually played it says it's great.

TDLink

I've read the review, I've seen the footage for months and I just don't get the fascination with this project. I don't say it just to sound contrary to everyone else, but it just looks like utter shit. I don't get it.

In all sincerity, what is a single redeeming quality people are seeing in this game?

It looks unlike any other game I have ever seen.

It is a superhero team up game that is oozing with super sentai style.

It is an action game made by the creator of Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, apparently with the system depth of those games as well.

It has almost universally positive impressions from those who have tried it out.

It has a 15 hour+ campaign with replayability plus a co-op mode for up to 5 players.

In all sincerity, what is a single thing in this game that "looks like utter shit"???

Gbraga

Lol, so she didn't play the game. Bayonetta doesn't have a child, let alone being a "single mother". So she spend a ton of money to buy games and end up not playing it, uses other people's content to create her own video's. I still don't understand why she needs kickstarter to make these videos. What's so expensive about it?

To be fair it's not part of the Tropes vs Women series, and looks like it's so bad she deleted it from her own account, which is cool of her to admit she was completely wrong, but she should've played it or at least watched part of a walkthrough video to know what she's talking about.

Everything you aren't. It's a gift amongst us wonderful people.

1. Have you played a Kamiya action game?
2. That's why

Now your turn. Explain what looks so bad.

Fast, great gameplay alone isn't "utter shit" in my book.

Unless you hate action games, what's not to like???

Especially due the pedigree of the developer.

I hate the word "gimmick" but the gimmick or hook of this game is rather interesting and fun.

It'd be a somewhat interesting game made by Joe Schmoe developer but you almost know it'll raise the bar much more than that because Kamiya knows action.

I get a kick out of someone trying to stir the pot. All they do is help keep the thread bumped on the front page of one of the biggest gaming forums.

The gameplay (from videos), the art style is unbearable, the voice acting is about as bad as you can get, the premise, the reliance on needing a tablet.

Those don't actually explain why you dislike any of that.

Also, the game is fully functional without use of the 'tablet'. You can even play on a Pro Controller, without using the Game Pad.

- Visually, it's pretty flashy. Bright colours, smooth and fast, with a rarely seen aesthetic in games
- Gameplay wise, it looks unique. I don't think there's anything else out there like this.
- The developers behind the game have proven themselves time and time again.
- Positive impressions from those who have played the game.

I don't necessarily think it's going to be the best game in the world, but it looks pretty fresh to me.

Darryl

Banned
The gameplay (from videos), the art style is unbearable, the voice acting is about as bad as you can get, the premise, the reliance on needing a tablet.

the gameplay looks like an interesting spin on an action game by kamiya (who people trust because he has a good record with them). the art style just looks like a saturday morning cartoon made with young adults in mind as well. it's quirky as hell, some people like that stuff.

Yagharek

Did you grow up on a diet of 1980s action cartoons? If not, you may be missing a key reference point. Viewtiful Joe is another - ever play that?

sakipon

I'll give you that, I find the art style (especially the look of the characters) to be really annoying. A shame because otherwise the game looks great. I guess I'll survive but I do wish they went with something else.

"LOL the Gamepad is a waste because no devs use it!"
"Boooooo! Games that use the Gamepad suck!"

Monocle

Name one bad game Kamiya has directed. Name one below average title made by Clover or Platinum.

There's your answer.

Lumyst

Believe it or not, what sold me on this game was seeing video footage of it on a Walmart Wii U kiosk, there were some kids who were mesmerized watching it too lol, but this review is also good.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
guyz i can't understand why people might have different tastes than me explain plz

Just need someone to drive by bash bayonetta and this thread is going off the tracks for atleast 2 pages

Just pre-ordered now.

Thankyou, Kamiya.

Thankyou, nintendo.

Thankyou, this thread.

Same here.

Definitely my first must-play WiiU game, even though it's not my first.

She may not like the character, but hopefully she'll enjoy the game, if she plays it.

Honestly I can't wait for her Bayonetta 2
over
reaction
(jk)

Game probably isn't for you if you don't like what you've seen so far. Most I can suggest is rent it or try a demo if one is available, so you know for sure that it's not a game worth playing.

I can't name a single thing for the fact that there's isn't just one thing that makes this game quality.
-60fps
-Cooperative group gameplay
-Utilizing the tablet or pro-pad
-Cool/stylized visuals
-PG pedigree (many games they've made that I've enjoyed)
-Probably lots of replay value
-Confirmation from others that the game plays well, so far

And to those talking about sales bombing, you might consider doing something about it if you don't want to see it bomb. A friend I know is buying the game full-price before buying the system, cause he thinks it's worth it; I'd be doing the same if I didn't already have it. A few others are trying to get word of mouth going. A lot of people doing something can mean a lot, if you can and if it matters to you.

TDLink

I am guessing some of the drawings are going to be just as easy whether you are using the screen or the stick. Some for sure are going to be pretty difficult to do as quickly with the stick versus the screen though. I have heard the "S" shape for the Whip is one such drawing.

I don't think the art style is very good (reminds me of Capcom's failed Spyborgs), and I also dislike Bayonetta's character design. But for me, these games are all about the action gameplay, and Kamiya knows what he's doing there. That's the reason to be excited. It's an action game with a blob of a main character that can transform into a bunch of different attacks.

You don't need the tablet to do the special moves. You can do them on the second stick. I was concerned about that, but I don't worry about juggling the tablet and top screen. Pikmin has you juggle both screens for some features (not required), and it works really really well.

Jachaos

I only played the build from Fall 2012, and I couldn't draw on the GamePad on that one, but it was :

- Fun
- Good looking, and recent videos are only making it seem better
- Tough to get a grasp of at first, and in my short time I got used to it better but new mechanics still required some practice a bit later in my session
- I'm sure I'll prefer drawing on the screen when I have the time, but I guess I'll find some use for the right stick. Especially if I get used to it. But in my short time it was tough to get good with it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
That's just how he designs action games. Easy and Normal only, then after that you unlock Hard which is balanced you carrying over all your Normal mode moves and shit, then you unlock Ultra V-Rated/Dante Must Die/Nonstop Climax.

That's how it was in Devil May Cry 1, Viewtiful Joe, and Bayonetta. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

If it ain't broke don't fix it

tweet more damnit
tell him to add in the konami code to unlock hard from the get go

Rising is actually a pretty great example on why you probably shouldn't be playing these games at the hardest setting initially.

I don't think anyone on gaf made use of that code.(Besides playing on very hard/revengence, dying a bunch, and then restarting on Normal/Hard anyways)

Finally, the game's tall difficulty belies its accessible aesthetic: make no mistake, this is a far more demanding proposition than its Pikmin cousin. And yet, these are the hallmarks that make Platinum's output some of the most exciting work in contemporary video games: scruffy invention in a playpen that allows for player mastery. In the midst of this riot of ideas and unrefined energy we can perceive some of the Wii U system's idiosyncratic wonder. It may not be a game to sell a system, but The Wonderful 101 provides ample justification for Nintendo's eccentric hardware.

Sounds amazing. Wii U killer app is finally here.

Terrell

While this is truth here, the sad part is I suspect it doesn't matter what platform W101 was on.

It might have a shot at selling a few 100k more on PS360 purely due to size of userbase, but sadly stuff like this tends to get ignored by the average gamer today.
But I've been led to believe average gamers don't buy Nintendo consoles anymore. It's all one extreme or the other, Nintendo fanboys and grandmas, nothing "average" about the demographic. You may wish to define what you mean by "average".

Weird how Platinum, not Nintendo, are making the two games that are getting me to grudgingly buy a Wii U
It's not that odd. Most people got sold on the PlayStation brand by 3rd-party games. A 2nd-party title definitely has that power, just as ANY title can be. Yes, even on a Nintendo console.

People sure love posting about how this is gonna flop.
They need more fuel to for the fire for their Wii U scapegoating narrative. Leave them be.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Killer bomb, probably. GOTY contender but no-one will buy it.

Ooh and I care about this. Why do people bring up sales so much...it's really sad

The game is the game. If its great its great. Just enjoy what you can get, be happy for some genuine originality people.

Shauni

My original idea was to buy Wonderful 101 on Day 1, and then wait to get a Wii around the holidays. Maybe for a Black Friday sale. But goddamn, the hype is too much. I feel I need to have this day 1, in front of me.

I'm wondering if I should purchase Pikmin 3 digitally to get the 30% discount on this? Would I just be better going retail and giving myself some resale value?

Top Bottom