• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

markot

Banned
Kinda sad that blizz wants to push expansions out faster, rather than the content between expansions, which is generally the problem >.<

markot said:
Kinda sad that blizz wants to push expansions out faster, rather than the content between expansions, which is generally the problem >.<

But now you get both the Guild Wars expansion mindset AND you get to pay a monthly subscription, BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!!

Alex

I would be happy to have expansions a bit faster, but I do want them to make good on their claim that they'll put out patches more frequently.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
We'll see how long it takes them to release 4.2 for that. But with all the previews we already have, i guess it's not too far away.

I'm sure the main reason 4.1 took so long to release was because of 4.2 developpement and Blizzard wanting to keep their promise that 4.2 would release "soon" after 4.1.

Rokam

Should have a clicky that turns you into the dragon, no combat purpose purely for flying.

There's an 8th skull on the Firelands raid map. Interesting.

Rokam said:
There's an 8th skull on the Firelands raid map. Interesting.

There are most definitely 8 skulls there. One appears to be in a separate floor or portaled area from the rest called the Anvil of Conflagration. Maybe on optional boss of some sort that hasn't been talked about?

Other than that, the interesting thing to note is that based on the map there are only 3 other bosses in the direct path between you and Ragnaros. However, this doesn't necessarily mean anything as you could have to fight the bosses that are off the path before the ones in the way spawn and have doors open, for example.

Glad to see Blizzard confirmed what I've been saying since Cataclysm launched. This expansion's content isn't holding people's interest, and they fucked up. Not that it really matters because I too canceled my subscription.

Dresden

Elemental

Lava Flows now grants a 30/60/90% haste buff when a Flame Shock effect is dispelled, up from 10/20/30%.
Thunderstorm now reduces the movement speed of players it knocks back by 40% for 5 seconds.

Glyphs

Glyph of Unleashed Lightning (new Prime glyph) allows Lightning Bolt to be cast while moving.
It's a good start to making ele shamans more viable in pvp - as in, not free kills - but it still isn't enough.

markot

Banned
Srsly >.< the expansions are fine, its waiting 6 months for some content that kinda kills people.

And troll instances dont count. It cant be that hard to make 2 new 5 mans and just release them alongside new raids, ala the Arthas raid thingy with the 3 pretty cool dungeons. Thats the model they should be aiming for >.>

Well, quicker though >.<

lordmrw

I imagine they want to switch to that model because they just don't seem to have the necessary staff to work on the next expansion while putting out patches in a reliable time frame. Honestly, I think 3 content patches per expansion is enough, with each lasting 3 months or so. But thats just me.

Bisnic

It's mostly to pay for their ridiculous number of servers and keep them stable as much as possible i'm going to guess. That, and having access to them.

markot

Banned
>_< I doubt server costs are that much when divided per player on a server. Id understand if we each had our own private server... then... maybe...

GLopez12

Neo Member
Yeah, server upkeep isn't that expensive. Blizzard has more than enough money and staff to pump out content patches faster.

I mean, if Trion can do it with Rift, Blizzard should be able to do it with WOW.

Blizzard probably doesn't have the organization for faster patches, but I suspect they'll be changing things around to be able to pump out faster patches in the future.

McNei1y

Help me GAF - I'm in a tight situation!

My friend and I joined a cool guild around the drop of Cataclysm. Since then we've been really cool with the friends in charge of the guild. Our guild was a pretty fast progressing guild about 3-4 months ago. Then people stopped logging on and the guild stopped. After a couple of months my friend and I became the best geared in the guild, along with the GM and his friend. So now we're pretty much in charge of the guild. We've tried to raid the past 2-1/2 months but it seems every 2-3 weeks people stop logging on and we have to re-recruit people of every class. It's getting really hard since people are getting recruited by other guilds with 25mans or 2 10 mans and it leaves nothing for us.

My friend and I are thinking about leaving to join another guild. We're pretty well geared and would probably get into a core right away. The problem is, we've become pretty cool with the guild leader and such. Would it be messed up to leave and join some other guild? If that happened, it would pretty much mean the death of that guild (at least at its current spot).

Miletius

McNei1y said:

My friend and I joined a cool guild around the drop of Cataclysm. Since then we've been really cool with the friends in charge of the guild. Our guild was a pretty fast progressing guild about 3-4 months ago. Then people stopped logging on and the guild stopped. After a couple of months my friend and I became the best geared in the guild, along with the GM and his friend. So now we're pretty much in charge of the guild. We've tried to raid the past 2-1/2 months but it seems every 2-3 weeks people stop logging on and we have to re-recruit people of every class. It's getting really hard since people are getting recruited by other guilds with 25mans or 2 10 mans and it leaves nothing for us.

My friend and I are thinking about leaving to join another guild. We're pretty well geared and would probably get into a core right away. The problem is, we've become pretty cool with the guild leader and such. Would it be messed up to leave and join some other guild? If that happened, it would pretty much mean the death of that guild (at least at its current spot).

One thing I learned over the course of the years playing this game is that you should play for yourself (yourselves). Chances are your current guild would die anyways from the way you are painting the situation. Just say something nice to the current GM and let him know it was fun but you need to move on because of the raid situation. If he's a reasonable person he'll understand.

Swag

Firelands PTR being streamed on MMO Champ by Ensidia / For the Horde / Method. Spider boss looks interesting, lots of AoE damage

McNei1y said:

I had sort of a similar situation, my guild had stopped progressing and people jumped ship or just stopped logging on, to the point where I was the only main spec healer. I would have stayed but I also recently started a new job that required me to be up early each morning and my guild was late night.

I ended up giving them a two weeks' notice, and while I know they're bummed about it I still have their respect (though they might have ninja'd a trinket on me last night)

McNei1y

Miletius said:
One thing I learned over the course of the years playing this game is that you should play for yourself (yourselves). Chances are your current guild would die anyways from the way you are painting the situation. Just say something nice to the current GM and let him know it was fun but you need to move on because of the raid situation. If he's a reasonable person he'll understand.
Perspicacity said:
I had sort of a similar situation, my guild had stopped progressing and people jumped ship or just stopped logging on, to the point where I was the only main spec healer. I would have stayed but I also recently started a new job that required me to be up early each morning and my guild was late night.

I ended up giving them a two weeks' notice, and while I know they're bummed about it I still have their respect (though they might have ninja'd a trinket on me last night)

Thanks for the replies and input.

I think my friend and I, along with the pally tank, are going to find another guild in the next few days. We like a lot of people in the guild that show up but its been to the point where we don't know who will show up on scheduled times and we haven't progressed in a month. We've been handling trash better though and thats about it. Like, we start off with BOT on tues and crush halfus and dragons then go to BWD and handle mag, omni, and mal... Then we attempt Chim and Atra for the remaining time. People then start getting off and thats were the raid ends for that week. People fail to get on consecutively. We were a lot farther before we had to recruit several times after and its just getting worse. I think its a good reason to find another guild. I want that feeling of progression back.

Alex

Resto Shaman sounds like it'll be back to crit again between Resurgance and 200% crits, at least in 10 man.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
3 people getting into a core and staying there seems hard if it's a 10 man. What if a couple of the GM's real life friends come for Firelands and one or two of you gets put on the B team that may or may not have 10 people to do a second raid? 25 man seems easier to get in and stay in a core, and maybe pugging and recruiting people every so often will be less of a progression obstacle if a large chunk is dedicated.

I think i'd rather run a 10 man with friends, or go for a 25man.

McNei1y

DeathNote said:
3 people getting into a core and staying there seems hard if it's a 10 man. What if a couple of the GM's real life friends come for Firelands and one or two of you gets put on the B team? 25 man seems easier to get in and stay in a core, and maybe pugging and recruiting people every so often will be less of a progression obstacle.

If that's referring to my situation, my friend and I are looking to get into a 25 man guild since we are thinking of bringing 3 people. I think we are specifically looking for someone in the same situation as us but further along and actually need us. We've had some few whispers from people's guilds but we're taking the precautions... Like I've actually looked at a lot of the classes in the Armory to see what their gear is like to see if they would take that guy over us. There is definitely more to that but it's a good start. Like my friend is a Mage and I'm a Warlock. One guild that said they could use both of us had like 6 mages on and 1 warlock. I don't see how they would use my friend lol.

Edit: I would prefer to be in a friendly guild over anything since being cool with the guild and progressing > anything IMO... but it seems like this guild will never be there. We're back in the phase of missing healers. 2 months ago it was tanks... then those tanks left and we got new ones. Then it was dps. Then it was healers, etc etc. Our raid days are Mon, Tues, Weds for at least 2-3 hours (ideally). We've only raided on Tuesdays for the past 3 weeks though. :\

C.Dark.DN

Banned
McNei1y said:
If that's referring to my situation, my friend and I are looking to get into a 25 man guild since we are thinking of bringing 3 people. I think we are specifically looking for someone in the same situation as us but further along and actually need us. We've had some few whispers from people's guilds but we're taking the precautions... Like I've actually looked at a lot of the classes in the Armory to see what their gear is like to see if they would take that guy over us. There is definitely more to that but it's a good start. Like my friend is a Mage and I'm a Warlock. One guild that said they could use both of us had like 6 mages on and 1 warlock. I don't see how they would use my friend lol.
Yeah, that would be shitty for him. lol.

McNei1y said:

Edit: I would prefer to be in a friendly guild over anything since being cool with the guild and progressing > anything IMO... but it seems like this guild will never be there. We're back in the phase of missing healers. 2 months ago it was tanks... then those tanks left and we got new ones. Then it was dps. Then it was healers, etc etc. Our raid days are Mon, Tues, Weds for at least 2-3 hours (ideally). We've only raided on Tuesdays for the past 3 weeks though. :\

Package deals are always a problem with recruiting since one player will always be better than the other.

McNei1y

cuevas said:
Package deals are always a problem with recruiting since one player will always be better than the other.

Well in our case, the pally is the best. He's a 360 prot pally and plays all the time. The mage and I are pretty much equal though. We're both 357's and play around the same amount of time. We were pretty much the raid leaders of the guild. I wont really care much about gear to start. I just want to kill bosses that I should have downed by now.

McNei1y said:
Well in our case, the pally is the best. He's a 360 prot pally and plays all the time. The mage and I are pretty much equal though. We're both 357's and play around the same amount of time. We were pretty much the raid leaders of the guild. I wont really care much about gear to start. I just want to kill bosses that I should have downed by now.

I'm not just talking about gear. Wherever you guys go app next they will like one of you guys better. What if they sit one of you, will you be happy there?

McNei1y

cuevas said:
I'm not just talking about gear. Wherever you guys go app next they will like one of you guys better. What if they sit one of you, will you be happy there?

Ooooh. I see what you're saying. Yeah. I would be unhappy if I were sat. That's why we're trying to compare ourselves to others in guilds and talk to the guild masters. I'm not trying to join a guild and then not be used. I would be back in square one.

I've done this in the past... but it was more of merging lol. I mean if they can't use all of us than its just onto the next guild that could use us. All I'm looking for is a guild that has people on consistently. Progression is my main goal out of it so if people are on consistently, we have a better chance of doing that.

McNei1y said:
Ooooh. I see what you're saying. Yeah. I would be unhappy if I were sat. That's why we're trying to compare ourselves to others in guilds and talk to the guild masters. I'm not trying to join a guild and then not be used. I would be back in square one.

I've done this in the past... but it was more of merging lol. I mean if they can't use all of us than its just onto the next guild that could use us. All I'm looking for is a guild that has people on consistently. Progression is my main goal out of it so if people are on consistently, we have a better chance of doing that.

Chances are that if you find a guild that is actually progressing at a decent rate they wont need 2/3 people because they are just trying to fill small holes. The guilds that are looking for 3 people to add to their rosters are probably having attendance woes already. Also would YOU be happy if the people brought along weren't used and only you were invited to raids? That's what you're going to find in a progression guild.

McNei1y

cuevas said:
Chances are that if you find a guild that is actually progressing at a decent rate they wont need 2/3 people because they are just trying to fill small holes. The guilds that are looking for 3 people to add to their rosters are probably having attendance woes already. Also would YOU be happy if the people brought along weren't used and only you were invited to raids? That's what you're going to find in a progression guild.

I wouldn't be happy if my friends weren't used. The whole point is so that all three of us can be an addition to a welcoming guild.

I also think I found the guild that I was looking for. They have 2 10 mans going with very little reliable substitutes. If they get us 3 they say they will start doing 25 mans. I'm not going to take that for word but I'd rather give that a shot then do nothing for another week or two.

Thoraxes

McNei1y said:
I wouldn't be happy if my friends weren't used. The whole point is so that all three of us can be an addition to a welcoming guild.

I also think I found the guild that I was looking for. They have 2 10 mans going with very little reliable substitutes. If they get us 3 they say they will start doing 25 mans. I'm not going to take that for word but I'd rather give that a shot then do nothing for another week or two.
Also if you still really like your other guild, I don't see why they wouldn't let you keep an alt in there for when you want to drop by and hang out.

At least, that's what my old guilds let me do when I moved onto hardcore progression in TBC.

McNei1y

Thoraxes said:
Also if you still really like your other guild, I don't see why they wouldn't let you keep an alt in there for when you want to drop by and hang out.

At least, that's what my old guilds let me do when I moved onto hardcore progression in TBC.

Yeah. I have about 3 alts in the guild that I will leave there. One of them is an 80 paladin which I will keep in there and maybe start using to heal or something if they pick it back up. If the guild starts to get a consistent showing over the weeks then I will probably go back for sure (if they would take me back which I don't see why they wouldn't). I mean I would rather be in that guild and progress than any other because its got a cool group of people. But its hindering my experience from Cho'gall, Nef, etc so I gotta do what I gotta do.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Mage?

It screams mage weapon to me, what with all the hit rating.
Yes Mage...

Although with all the PVP nerfing spilling over into Raiding, it is getting annoying to be a mage ;P

Just saw an blue reply to an interesting post on the official forums which made me wonder a bit. The poster pointed out that in BC and WotLK it was obvious where the final boss encounter would be: Black Temple (Sunwell was never intended to exist) and Icecrown Citadel. Both locations were on the world map at the start of each expansion. However with Deathwing, there is no indication of where his lair would be.

This leads to some interesting possibilities. Parts of Azeroth could be instanced and it could be an outdoor raid. Another possibility would be some other great cataclysm occurring with the patch that provides an entrance to some sort of lair.

Any other thoughts? No matter what, it will at least be somewhat different from the previous expansions without some great Deathwing fortress existing already.

Bisnic

It would be nice to fight him in an instanced Stormwind or Orgrimmar(depending on your faction) half destroyed and on fire.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I like the idea that the fighting location isn't predictable. A portal with a gate is lame.

I haven't put much thought into where it'd be, but there are a few cool ideas already mentioned.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
"Dancing while in combat was disabled to fix some unfortunate animation bugs. For example, several races do a torso twist as part of their special attack animation, and that would go haywire when the character was also trying to dance."

Any vids?

Top Bottom