• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You know what, you're all right. I'm sorry.

Just this week, then I'm off. I promise.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Long story, I'm just forced to do it. Until 14th May.

Haha, all you need to know is that I'll be gone when Diablo 3 is out.

:lol silly goose. "It's a video game"-argument is the oldest shit argument I've kept hearing over and over again since 2000.

ITT: People don't know the role of a GM.
edit: ^Changed to something more accurate.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah...

edit: Oh boy it's raid-time today! YAY!!!

Yoshi, raiding is not mandatory, not for anyone, not even for a GM. Sure, if you stop then your whole guild will probably spiral into disarray and drama, but you know what? Let that be their problem. Stepping down means just that, stepping down. Giving up your responsibilities. It really is just a game, and it should be fun to play, and when it stops being fun to play, STOP PLAYING. If the guild wants to keep raiding, let somebody else step up and start running things.

You really aren't being forced. You are choosing to suffer in order to make it better for everyone else. You are choosing, and you can make a different choice.

If you aren't having fun raiding anymore, then stop raiding. Play a different way, or stop playing altogether. I haven't played in over a year now. I'm about to do the annual pass soon to get my free Diablo III. And this time in WoW I'm going to go totally casual. Playing just for fun now and then. I'm going to start a new druid, do every quest I come across and actually read the quest text. I'm going to level professions as level. I'm going to choose professions based on what sounds fun and not give a damn about best synergy or stats or optimal choices. I'm going to choose talents based on what sounds fun and not what EJ says to use. I'm going to level fishing, collect pets and mounts. I'll spend hours just sightseeing and investigating the world and take my sweet ass time doing it. I will NOT race to 85, I won't honestly care about what level I'll be. I'll run every dungeon along the way at least once just for fun. I'll PvP in BG's along the way, I may even turn off XP a few times to hang out at a bracket now and then.

You don't have to raid Yoshi, you do have a choice. Hell, you don't even have to play WoW, focus on your SC2 game instead! Take a big break before D3 comes out and just relax and do other things for a bit.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mengy, your post inspired me. Thank you.

strafer

Yeah.

wowscrnshot_010412_0176rqo.jpg

Audioboxer

I've neglected healing for too long. Played about 2 months of WoW about 3 months back after a break for about a year. Levelled a Druid/Rogue fairly high, then quit again.

I decided I'd wait for MOP, but I have a WoW itch again. This time I'm going to really do something new (going rogue/druid was new for me, but I DPS'd on both). Healing.

Want to roll a priest on Alliance, any tips in regards to the class/addons/professions? I've seen some nice interface addon packs for priests in my times, any still exist?

Mengy

Mengy, your post inspired me. Thank you.

You are very welcome Yoshi. Life is too short to choose to put yourself through agony when you have control over things.

Are you going to stop playing completely or simply stop raiding?

I used to raid hardcore, stopped about halfway through WotLK. Best decision I ever made. The game become fun again once I stopped playing it like a job and started treating it like a game again. Playing when I wanted to, doing whatever I wanted to, and just not taking it too seriously anymore. I so much more enjoy just running through old raids for fun and to sightsee rather than crawling through blood, sweat, tears, and hours upon hours of raiding (and preparing for raiding) just to get the newest and latest gear, only to have it be replaced in a few months by the next raid or expansion. Once I realized I was fighting a battle I could never win, I just stopped trying and took the game down a notch, and the fun factor came back.

TheYanger

I found raiding much more enjoyable just being a grunt/peon/whatever than being in positions of leadership. I was a much more cynical and mean person when I was raid leading/guild leading. Now I just don't care, focus on playing the best I can play, and joking around with people. I don't like wiping or failing, who does, but when it's not my 'responsibility' it's a lot easier to just let it slide. Throw on some music and just have fun for a few hours a night.

Yoshichan

You are very welcome Yoshi. Life is too short to choose to put yourself through agony when you have control over things.

Are you going to stop playing completely or simply stop raiding?
I am going to stop raiding completely until MoP :) I will be online to help friends with dungeons and other stuff though!

Mengy

I found raiding much more enjoyable just being a grunt/peon/whatever than being in positions of leadership. I was a much more cynical and mean person when I was raid leading/guild leading. Now I just don't care, focus on playing the best I can play, and joking around with people. I don't like wiping or failing, who does,

Heh, honestly, back in the old days in Molten Core and Blackwing Lair, I used to love the whole wipe/try it again process. The whole plight of our guild trying new strategies and changing a few things here and there in order to get it right was thrilling, and I didn't really mind wiping all night long or the huge repair costs. It was like we were playing a huge strategy game.

But by WotLK, that feeling was gone. I'm not sure why either. I don't know if raids became different, or if the availability of perfect strats online (and everyone expecting you to "do your homework") took the fun out of it, but something had changed for me with raiding. It became a job and not fun. And now, well I just don't have the time for that anymore. I'd rather do other things I find relaxing than ever raid again like that.

Heh, honestly, back in the old days in Molten Core and Blackwing Lair, I used to love the whole wipe/try it again process. The whole plight of our guild trying new strategies and changing a few things here and there in order to get it right was thrilling, and I didn't really mind wiping all night long or the huge repair costs. It was like we were playing a huge strategy game.

But by WotLK, that feeling was gone. I'm not sure why either. I don't know if raids became different, or if the availability of perfect strats online (and everyone expecting you to "do your homework") took the fun out of it, but something had changed for me with raiding. It became a job and not fun. And now, well I just don't have the time for that anymore. I'd rather do other things I find relaxing than ever raid again like that.

I didn't play in Vanilla, but every now and then there's still a bit of that feeling. The accepted strategy may be published on Tankspot or wherever, but I find there's always a bit of finagling with who does what and dealing with class/role constraints. Your 10-man might not have X, so you have to make do with Y, which adds a kink to the strategy (which may even become a strength.)

In 25-mans, you may have multiple who can fulfill a specific role, but it may take a bit of experimentation before finding the most reliable person for the job. In 25s especially, there tend to be skill gaps between players, so say you have one person who plays the class most suited for a role do something first, but they keep failing - you switch to someone less than ideal, but more skilled (though not necessarily better geared) to get the job done.

There's always to be group dynamic adjustment. Rarely do the off-the-shelf tactics work on the first couple tries.

TheYanger

I think it's fair to say there's a huge difference between PROGRESSION wiping and just wiping ;) I should clarify that I was talking about the latter since that's what was getting to Yoshi.
Progression I've never minded. I would get much more ragey about it when leading than I ever did otherwise. Hell, I wiped over 400 times on H-Rag and I STILL loved that fight when we killed it. As long as you feel a slow and steady burn of progress it should always feel good. If you don't go for that, raiding is probably not for you.

Yoshichan

Help me out Mal'Ganis people!

LF Holy Paladin/Resto Shaman for FRESH DS guild run @7:15PM (realmtime)! We will be doing all heroics until we get to spine! PM me how many heroic bosses you have experience with, I will armory you!

Audίoboxer;37030493 said:
I've neglected healing for too long. Played about 2 months of WoW about 3 months back after a break for about a year. Levelled a Druid/Rogue fairly high, then quit again.

I decided I'd wait for MOP, but I have a WoW itch again. This time I'm going to really do something new (going rogue/druid was new for me, but I DPS'd on both). Healing.

Want to roll a priest on Alliance, any tips in regards to the class/addons/professions? I've seen some nice interface addon packs for priests in my times, any still exist?

I'm not very up to date on addons. You can quest as Disc nowadays if you go for an Atonement spec, and can also heal in dungeons with that spec to supplement your questing. It's a pretty fun way to level and the most unique healing spec in the game right now.

Professions, I suggest herb/mining while you're leveling. They will give you a LOT of bonus experience. There's no point to having a crafting profession until max level, the mats you stock up from herbing and mining will help you out when you get tehre.

Rokam

Stupid LFR. I've yet to see Souldrinker or the staff drop on either of my characters. And have yet to win anything on my druid period. I should get something for solo tanking Ultraxion each week, bonus valor would do so I don't have to 5 man. I wonder who the first tank is to leave on Madness that causes the domino effect of every tank getting in just for a Madness kill then abandoning their next Fall of Deathwing group at Madness. I see it every week and it makes me laugh.

Yoshichan

I'm having SUPER FUN raiding right now and I'm not even sarcastic! Everyone is so happy, joking around etc! :D

Yoshichan

Yuuuuup! Raid is over and I had a great time :) Hopefully it'll be fun tomorrow too! Great atmosphere tonight :3
That is seriously awesome, man. Happy for you!
Thank you!

profit

Yuuuuup! Raid is over and I had a great time :) Hopefully it'll be fun tomorrow too! Great atmosphere tonight :3
Having fun is the best thing about raiding. Back in BC and even WoTLK I raided with some awesome people. Sure we whiped a bunch, but it was all fun, just a nice family to have in the game.
Thats the same reason I cant get back into normal raiding anymore, I just can not find a nice guild anymore with nice, friendly and intelligent people; and I just have the feeling I can not be bothered to communicate with the people on my server/dungeon groups/ LFR groups.

I'm glad you had fun Yoshi!

iirate

Thank you!

Not-so quick question: from the perspective of someone that is still a "hardcore" raider, how would you recommend for someone to break into that scene? I'm considering it when MoP begins, but I don't know how feasible it would actually be to find a decent guild (one that actually plans to complete un-nerfed heroic content) when I have been an extremely casual raider for two expansions.

I was an officer and eventual GM of a pretty good (but far from amazing - top 1k worldwide) raiding guild throughout TBC. Many of our dps had top 10 kills, especially as we moved into BT and Hyjal, but the guild never tried to be the absolute best - we had plenty of leatherworkers for drum rotations, and several players, myself included, were way ahead of the general raiding populace with regards to game theory (for example, I was stacking pure spellpower as a resto shaman almost half a year before the idea was taken seriously on EJ), however we also had a dedicated core that was much less interested in maximizing their potential but had been with us since our early days in Kara and weren't going to be dropped. We were pretty good, but weren't quite willing to do what it takes to be among the best. Anyways, I eventually left due to other RL obligations, and haven't returned to raiding (at least to the same extent) since.

Trying out the LFR reminded me of just how boring raiding can be, and I want to get some of the excitement of progression back. I've been a resto shaman since I first installed the game, and am very confident in my abilities, but I feel so far removed from the raiding community at this point that I don't know how to return to it. I don't have any log data, and aside from some 10 man heroic raiding through WotLK (Ulduar and ToC), and some 25 normal raiding at the start of Cata, I have missed two expansions worth of raiding content.

Is there any advice you have for me?

jersoc

doing a LFR now. i'm the only pally healer with 2 others rets pally. one of the ret keeps rolling on the healing shit so the other is rolling and giving them to me.

so there's definitely cool people out there.

Rokam

doing a LFR now. i'm the only pally healer with 2 others rets pally. one of the ret keeps rolling on the healing shit so the other is rolling and giving them to me.

so there's definitely cool people out there.

Uh.. hmm? You get a roll bonus as a healer he shouldn't be winning anything.

Just got around to watching the rogue legendary videos they put out, Wrathion mentions going to the Pandaria... nooo go away dragons.

jersoc

Uh.. hmm? You get a roll bonus as a healer he shouldn't be winning anything.

Just got around to watching the rogue legendary videos they put out, Wrathion mentions going to the Pandaria... nooo go away dragons.

yeah, dude. i'm pretty sure my account has the wi flag. my rolls suck.

amazingly he won every drop for healing and gave me them. even got the weapon.

profit

yeah, dude. i'm pretty sure my account has the wi flag. my rolls suck.

amazingly he won every drop for healing and gave me them. even got the weapon.

I do the exact same thing. I've dealt with enough asshats to know how people who genuinly need the items feel.

Um, it's actually impossible to lose a roll on a healing item as a healer to a DPS class. Unless you queued as DPS or tank or something, or the ret pally queued as a healer.

Literally impossible. You get a roll bonus of a 100, so even if you roll a 1 and he rolls a 100 (on a healing item), you still win because a 1 is a 101.

profit

Um, it's actually impossible to lose a roll on a healing item as a healer to a DPS class. Unless you queued as DPS or tank or something, or the ret pally queued as a healer.

Literally impossible. You get a roll bonus of a 100, so even if you roll a 1 and he rolls a 100 (on a healing item), you still win because a 1 is a 101.

When I do it for someone else, its more cause the other healer/tank/whatever already has the item, but just wants to need on it cause he can.

jersoc

yeah, afterwards i was checking the healing charts. turns out he Q'd was a healer. i thought he was ret because he said something like seeing the other ret pally roll too.

still cool gesture no matter what though.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
yeah, afterwards i was checking the healing charts. turns out he Q'd was a healer. i thought he was ret because he said something like seeing the other ret pally roll too.

still cool gesture no matter what though.
Actually pointless unless the other ret pally that kept rolling need on healing items queued as a healer as well and you knew for a fact they had the healing items already.

strafer

Affliction Warlock Feedback

We are discussing removing the limit one on Agony. We think Malefic Grasp already solves the same problem of wanting to make sure that focusing on a single target can be as effective as multi-dotting the room.

(As an aside, it's fine to multi-dot the room, but we want to avoid a situation where a dot class is either terrible with one target or doubles everyone else's damage when there are multiple targets.)

If we make the Agony change, then Soul Swap could move Agony and UA and feel worth doing (assuming Seeds already covers Corruption in an AE environment). It's also possible we could just bring down the Soul Swap cooldown as well.

0059_h9rx.gif

Touch

LFR is pretty fun when your the only rogue in the raid. :p Unless, of course, no rogue items drop... :/ Then you win a Vial and everyone flips shit. :///

aesop

I have the worst luck with LFR and almost always get grouped up with douchebags who need roll everything regardless of whether or not they already have it, can't use it, etc. I've only ever won one tier piece from LFR.

Last night I lost the insignia of the corrupted mind to an enhance shammy and lost the ring of the riven to a druid who already had it. /sigh

Yoshichan

Trying out the LFR reminded me of just how boring raiding can be, and I want to get some of the excitement of progression back. I've been a resto shaman since I first installed the game, and am very confident in my abilities, but I feel so far removed from the raiding community at this point that I don't know how to return to it. I don't have any log data, and aside from some 10 man heroic raiding through WotLK (Ulduar and ToC), and some 25 normal raiding at the start of Cata, I have missed two expansions worth of raiding content.

All I can say is that LFR isn't meant to work like a raid. It's designed to be like a large scaled heroic dungeon - for the free loot and for the people who wants to experience the lore. Remember, there were many people who never did beat Illidan/LK but they loved the lore so they had to Youtube everything - LFR satisfies some people for this purpose.

I would still recommend you trying MoP; level up to 90 and start doing heroics with your resto shaman. If the server of your choice is somewhat populated then it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours for you to start getting PMs about wanting you as their healer. You should just be honest and tell them that you raided TBC/Heroic Ulduar and that you still know how to heal well as a shaman. Many people won't be bothered that you skipped Cataclysm anyway so... look the guild up and check their progression and ask them how "serious" they are. If you feel like this guild seems to be okay, try it out - you can always leave if they end up being a bunch of boring people! :)

I'd say go for it!

TheYanger

Not-so quick question: from the perspective of someone that is still a "hardcore" raider, how would you recommend for someone to break into that scene? I'm considering it when MoP begins, but I don't know how feasible it would actually be to find a decent guild (one that actually plans to complete un-nerfed heroic content) when I have been an extremely casual raider for two expansions.

I was an officer and eventual GM of a pretty good (but far from amazing - top 1k worldwide) raiding guild throughout TBC. Many of our dps had top 10 kills, especially as we moved into BT and Hyjal, but the guild never tried to be the absolute best - we had plenty of leatherworkers for drum rotations, and several players, myself included, were way ahead of the general raiding populace with regards to game theory (for example, I was stacking pure spellpower as a resto shaman almost half a year before the idea was taken seriously on EJ), however we also had a dedicated core that was much less interested in maximizing their potential but had been with us since our early days in Kara and weren't going to be dropped. We were pretty good, but weren't quite willing to do what it takes to be among the best. Anyways, I eventually left due to other RL obligations, and haven't returned to raiding (at least to the same extent) since.

To be honest, if you want to be in a 'decent' guild come MoP, you should start working on it now. Start getting some logs from LFR (Log it yourself) and treat it seriously like if it were a real raid, not failing mechanics, putting up good numbers etc. it should be pretty easy to find a place in a mid-tier guild because the recruiting pool dries up when everyones progression is the same (And let's face it, most serious raiding guilds are either done or like 5-6/8 at this point. there's not a lot of delineation). Just continue to play well and log yourself if nobody else logs. Once you have a bit of gear (not a ton but enough not to require being carried) and some experience, you should be able to break in easily wherever your skill level will allow you to. Just be honest in applications and it goes a long way.

iirate

All I can say is that LFR isn't meant to work like a raid. It's designed to be like a large scaled heroic dungeon - for the free loot and for the people who wants to experience the lore. Remember, there were many people who never did beat Illidan/LK but they loved the lore so they had to Youtube everything - LFR satisfies some people for this purpose.

I would still recommend you trying MoP; level up to 90 and start doing heroics with your resto shaman. If the server of your choice is somewhat populated then it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours for you to start getting PMs about wanting you as their healer. You should just be honest and tell them that you raided TBC/Heroic Ulduar and that you still know how to heal well as a shaman. Many people won't be bothered that you skipped Cataclysm anyway so... look the guild up and check their progression and ask them how "serious" they are. If you feel like this guild seems to be okay, try it out - you can always leave if they end up being a bunch of boring people! :)

I'd say go for it!

Sweet, thanks for the advice!

To be honest, if you want to be in a 'decent' guild come MoP, you should start working on it now. Start getting some logs from LFR (Log it yourself) and treat it seriously like if it were a real raid, not failing mechanics, putting up good numbers etc. it should be pretty easy to find a place in a mid-tier guild because the recruiting pool dries up when everyones progression is the same (And let's face it, most serious raiding guilds are either done or like 5-6/8 at this point. there's not a lot of delineation). Just continue to play well and log yourself if nobody else logs. Once you have a bit of gear (not a ton but enough not to require being carried) and some experience, you should be able to break in easily wherever your skill level will allow you to. Just be honest in applications and it goes a long way.

I REALLY wish I could be doing this right now, but I've been having computer issues that I can't pinpoint, and WoW is performing like crap in 25s, even though it used to not be an issue, and even my friend on his lesser-specced laptop doesn't have these issues. What's worse is that I don't think it's graphics-related - I can turn my graphics all the way down and I'll STILL have single digit fps in 25s. I've reformatted since this issue popped up, but it didn't help.

Needless to say, I'm either going to have to look for a 10 man guild, or upgrade my PC before MoP. ALTHOUGH, I actually am in a super casual 10 man guild right now, and they have recently asked me to return to raiding with them, so I could use that to log.

iirate

You might try turning off sound, it's amazing the performance jump I got when I turned mine off.

I'm pretty sure I have, but I will again. Either way, it isn't just in WoW, and these issues used to not be present at all. I don't know much about computers TBH, so I may be talking out of my ass here, but I think it's my motherboard - my last one was fried a couple of summers ago, and the one I replaced it with was a downgrade. Either way, my PC is over 3 years old at this point and probably due for an upgrade, but I have bigger priorities, at least for the next month or two.

aesop

I'm pretty sure I have, but I will again. Either way, it isn't just in WoW, and these issues used to not be present at all. I don't know much about computers TBH, so I may be talking out of my ass here, but I think it's my motherboard - my last one was fried a couple of summers ago, and the one I replaced it with was a downgrade. Either way, my PC is over 3 years old at this point and probably due for an upgrade, but I have bigger priorities, at least for the next month or two.

How old is your CPU?

Edit: There are some good suggestions on the official forums that detail a couple of fixes for these problems. Here's a link to a stickied thread on the tech support subforum.

Beatrix

Are there any serious arena players (2.2k+) looking for a gladiator level rogue to play 3v3 with? If anyone is interested PM me!

The legendary daggers, as far at the 2-set bonus and its proc goes, suck. Sometimes, the things never even go off during a fight. Most times, they go off when I have to run instead of hit the boss. It's poorly designed for a melee class proc. And when it goes off, you lose all your stacks of agility you'd have otherwise.

Naka

Anyone need a scroll of res that plans on re-subbing for more than the 7 day trial? I've given out 2 so far and neither one has subbed. I'd really like to get the mount.

Rokal

The legendary daggers, as far at the 2-set bonus and its proc goes, suck. Sometimes, the things never even go off during a fight. Most times, they go off when I have to run instead of hit the boss. It's poorly designed for a melee class proc. And when it goes off, you lose all your stacks of agility you'd have otherwise.

They're excellent compared to everything else out there. True, the stacking buff falls off when you get the Destroyer proc, but keep in mind that each stack of the buff is for 17 agi. The 2nd step daggers only give 5 agi per stack, which means that even though the stacks fall off the legendary daggers, they don't take very long to meet & exceed the agi buff provided by the 2nd step daggers.

The proc doesn't always happen when you want it to, but it's hilarious when they go off at a bad time. Every other week they seem to go off a half a second before Morchok stuns everyone for his black phase. Fortunately I still use push-to-talk for voice chat, as the legendary dagger proc has given me a sailor's mouth.

My only wish for the legendary daggers is that I had a more exciting raid than Dragon Soul to use them in. I also wouldn't mind a better 'fluff' perk. The clicky slow fall is pretty awful compared to the flying mount from the legendary staff.

Yoshichan

GREAT FUN today in raid :D God, the mentality change I did made raiding a lot more fun :3

Thanks WoWGAF ♥

Yoshichan

Diablo 3 icon in Real ID now :D

M7E5J.png

Top Bottom