• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Xtyle

I quit the game couple months ago when I finished all the heroic 85 dungeons.
The game can get pretty frustrating to play at when it comes to end game. I don't have real life friends to play with and that might be one factor but still, it isn't find trying to find a guild instead of playing the game.

Random heroics also destroyed the game for me. Back then, I made a lot of friends from doing dungeons with the same server people. I would also meet their friends...so it was a big social hub...and you really have to play that way as there wasn't any random dungeons to queue. Now, I moved to a new server and I did made some friends but I would say the game just isn't the same anymore as it is actually now taking effort to meet new people instead of that being a natural situation (doing quests and dungeon runs with server people, etc). And slowly I lost interest.

cuevas said:

I would ask him to solo Zul'Gurub's first boss, but that's already soloable by any good DK in the PTR. I have a hard time keeping other tanks up with all the crazyness of the fight combined with the melee damage they take, but hell, get me a DK to tank, and I can die in the middle of the fight that he alone will down the rest of the boss without losing any HP... I don't know what's up with that.

What do you guys think he'll be doing next? He keeps impressing me each time. Not by the videos, they're boring, but by each new challenge he undertakes, and his explanation on how he overcame the obstacles.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm pretty sure that "new" model is just a Faceless one with armor and fire.

Swag

Levelled up my Warrior to 85 and played a little fury, DPS in this spec is so sporadic, I can pull 11k one fight then 8k the next single target no movement pull. RNG on Enrage uptime is so annoying, as well as the only equivalent being Death Wish which has a significant cooldown.

Also Energy > Rage as a resource, fuck that shit.

DeathNote said:
How should I gem for my DK in pvp? Not sure what spec. Chimera's eye capable.

I'm not going to look up the exact number right now, but you want to hit the spell pen cap (should require a few gems + the cloak enchant.) After that, it should be mainly resilience. Though making sure you're at the PvP (lvl 85) hit cap, and increasing STR when you can is important as well, depending on socket bonuses. Expertise is the worst stat, as far as I recall.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
I'm not going to look up the exact number right now, but you want to hit the spell pen cap (should require a few gems + the cloak enchant.) After that, it should be mainly resilience. Though making sure you're at the PvP (lvl 85) hit cap, and increasing STR when you can is important as well, depending on socket bonuses. Expertise is the worst stat, as far as I recall.
Thanks a lot.

I actually just got dissecting every single piece of info you just said from a high level DK 2's team. I haven't geared for pvp seriously in a long time.

I ended up with everything you said. Hit cap, spell pen cap, yellow res gems. I decided on Resplendent Ember Topaz in red sockets and Effulgent Shadowspirit Diamond in meta.

The best shoulder and head enchants are only obtainable through pvp currency right?

Repgnar

DeathNote said:
The best shoulder and head enchants are only obtainable through pvp currency right?

Should be through honor and the Tol Barad marks.

My brother and I started some new guys, a priest and a paladin. It's been pretty fun to just hop in some of the older dungeons and level up as healer/tank and the xp gain is pretty good too. Healing at this level, mid 30's, is stupidly easy. Most fights I just throw a bubble on him and can go back to watching tv. We've only played dps classes at 85 so this should be a change of pace once we get up there.

DeathNote said:
Thanks a lot.

I actually just got dissecting every single piece of info you just said from a high level DK 2's team. I haven't geared for pvp seriously in a long time.

I ended up with everything you said. Hit cap, spell pen cap, yellow res gems. I decided on Resplendent Ember Topaz in red sockets and Effulgent Shadowspirit Diamond in meta.

No problem! My main has been a DK for the past couple years, and though I had just gotten into arena for the first time this current season, I haven't played in awhile. Glad to know the info is still accurate.

Head and shoulder enchants with resilience are available via honor or Tol Barad tokens.

Unrelated, new mob models from 4.2 up on MMO-Champion. One seems to be just a trash mob, the other is a pretty cool looking boss.

Dunlop

SquirrelNuckle said:
Boy I hope the patch releases tomorrow, but I doubt it.

yeah we need something, my guild (and myself included) are getting in a funk as theer is squat to do aoutside of raiding and the raid content itself is not too exciting.

I have no will to roll another toon so for sh!ts and giggles and race changed to a Worgen. Looks badass but I have no doubt I will be cursing the first time I need to use EMFH again (I just could not take the pole up his ass human animations any more)

On that note why are more people no screaming at how crap the alliance races are?

My best choice for a priest was a gnome, which I would rather stab myself in my eye. I justifed the Worgen for the sprint and the crit (disc or shadow spec) but know that I gimped myself.

Almost every race choice on the horde side is awesome

:p

(I'm mostly joking about all this)

Miletius

The patch would be a welcome shot in the arm, and a chance for me to replace a few blues. Maybe wishing for it hard enough will make it come true!

Dunlop said:
yeah we need something, my guild (and myself included) are getting in a funk as theer is squat to do aoutside of raiding and the raid content itself is not too exciting.

I have no will to roll another toon so for sh!ts and giggles and race changed to a Worgen. Looks badass but I have no doubt I will be cursing the first time I need to use EMFH again (I just could not take the pole up his ass human animations any more)

On that note why are more people no screaming at how crap the alliance races are?

My best choice for a priest was a gnome, which I would rather stab myself in my eye. I justifed the Worgen for the sprint and the crit (disc or shadow spec) but know that I gimped myself.

Almost every race choice on the horde side is awesome

:p

(I'm mostly joking about all this)

As someone who's really only played Horde and used to that more beastly flavor, I'd have a hard time playing any Alliance race besides Worgen at this point. I think I could do Night Elf, but count me out when it comes to dwarfs, humans, and gnomes, unless I was playing ironically.

Swag

CarbonatedFalcon said:
I think I could do Night Elf, but count me out when it comes to dwarfs, humans, and gnomes, unless I was playing ironically.
It's so annoying raiding currently, as everyone has that locket that makes them look like the ghostly night elf.

Dunlop

CarbonatedFalcon said:
As someone who's really only played Horde and used to that more beastly flavor, I'd have a hard time playing any Alliance race besides Worgen at this point. I think I could do Night Elf, but count me out when it comes to dwarfs, humans, and gnomes, unless I was playing ironically.

I actually like the dwarven animations, but when I switched factions/servers I was new to the guild at the time so I could not ignore the sick Human Racials

Manus

I'm a huge fan of Alliance races. The only two races I really want to play on Horde is Tauren and Undead, other than that I find them pretty boring. Draenei is probably my favorite Alliance race with Worgen second.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I went from only being able to play a few races, to every race in horde, and almost every race in Alliance.Worgen males look cool but I don't like how they move at all.

I think a lot has to do with getting bored with playing the same races for a few years.

I could never do female worgen, orc, or tauren tho. A few months ago I would have added female Gnome to the list, but I recently saw a really good looking one. I haven't saw a female dwarf in a long time, not sure there, probably not.

I must say tho, there's like only 1 face and hair combo I like with every race and gender.

Some faces are butt ugly.

Miletius

I switched my main guy from Undead to Goblin when I started playing again. I got tired of how cloaks hang on the male Undead model. It's the same problem I have with the Worgen.

keepcalmcorpserun_art.jpg

New shirt EDIT: It's a poster by Penny-Arcade. Variation on the Keep Calm and Respawn shirt that they've been selling, but tailored more for WoW/MMO gamers.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Miletius said:
I switched my main guy from Undead to Goblin when I started playing again. I got tired of how cloaks hang on the male Undead model. It's the same problem I have with the Worgen.
Draenei are worse. I don't know why Blizzard just ignores it. I've gotten to the point where I can't stand the pre-BC models. They are disgusting, and the gap between the new and old models just makes things more noticeable.

Duki

Banned
Gvaz said:
Replace Northrend with this and this could be something I would say
northrends tiring but at least its pretty and shit

plus ive done hellfire waaaaay more times than any one northrend zone smh

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Miletius said:
I hate weapons that go through cloaks on certain races. I've been turning them off tho.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Duki said:
northrends tiring but at least its pretty and shit

plus ive done hellfire waaaaay more times than any one northrend zone smh

It's simple, stay in late classic zones like Blasted Lands or Winterspring until you hit 60-61, the xp their quests gives is crazy, and you can easily go for Zangarmarsh after this, or even a couple of dungeon runs.

Duki

Banned
Bisnic said:
It's simple, stay in late classic zones like Blasted Lands or Winterspring until you hit 60-61, the xp their quests gives is crazy, and you can easily go for Zangarmarsh after this, or even a couple of dungeon runs.
i did lol :(

zang is even worse than hellfire because you have to deal with all the water bs and the quests arent as well grouped together as hellfire

luckily im leveling a prot paladin, which means that all the quests amount to collect 10 monsters and kill them all at once so everything is at least ridiculously quick and easy

still boring though

also, how come ret is such trash at leveling now? it kills a single monster barely faster than prot, and it completely wilts when attacked by to or three monsters at once at the same time as having no reliable aoe with divine storm being garbage. why did blizzard think this was a good idea.

TheYanger said:
And you'll note that nowhere do I say everyone has to do heroics, they don't. That's the whole point. Normals are tuned to be doable, heroics are tuned as old raids were.That's EXACTLY how it should be.

I was more or less pointing out that that is what the end game should look like. I'd much rather see "X/Y Normal Guild LF Dedicated Healer" and "X/Y Heroic Guild LF Tank", than everyone treating Heroic mode as the "next step" of progression. Perhaps in time if Blizzard sticks with this method of putting a pretty big gap between Normal and Heroic, the community will come around to accept it. But right now, if I were to tell my guild that, "Truth be told, you folks don't have the chops to get much further in Heroic Modes", I'd get a seething removal. So much of the community still lives in the ICC "they'll nerf it so we can get our achievements and loot eventually" mindset of progression. Higher difficulties are most interesting when they are a standard you apply given the above average capabilities of your raiders, not just something you manage by throwing 2-3 months of attempts at it.

More content, less waiting around for <Knights of A R T H A S> to kill Sinestra.

Also, I'd still wager that Heroic Modes are considerably more complex/difficult than "old raids", especially Vanilla stuff. For the same reasons I mentioned before. Vanilla difficulty lies somewhere between.

Brofist

Miletius said:
Can't be worse than how cloaks look on a troll.

Dunlop

DeathNote said:
I hate weapons that go through cloaks on certain races. I've been turning them off tho.

first thing I saw after switching, it was pretty bad but thankfully can turn of cloaks.

loving the worgens wild casting animations

Miletius

kpop100 said:
Can't be worse than how cloaks look on a troll.

True, male trolls have that hunch going on too. I actually liked zoning into CoT: Durn back in the day so that I could see how my cloak looked when it was worn straight. I think most of them look pretty cool when they are on the right races.

Thoraxes

My guild is starting to die down, people are stopping raiding because they're tired of no new content, and hardly anyone logs on anymore...

I wish the next two patches would come out so more people would log on and so i'd have people to play with again!

Additionally, there just feels like there's nothing to do in the game anymore and the only reason I haven't quit yet is because I want to have a raid spot when Firelands hits, but man, I don't know if I can take it anymore.

I would only be freezing my account till I graduate (1 month) or until Firelands hits, whichever comes out later.

It just seems kind of funny how Blizzard said they wanted to release more frequent smaller content updates, but we've gone nearly 6 months without one. The only thing I look forward to in 4.1 is to be able to gear up my paladin tank more and get that satchel all the time.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I decided to look up the wording:

Eurogamer interview with Brack at Game Developers Conference | February 28-March 4, 2011
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-04-firelands-raid-will-not-be-in-wow-patch-4-1

"We feel like the player base isn't really ready for the next raid yet,"
The decision to move Firelands to 4.2 was also motivated by a desire to move away from the "monolithic" content patches World of Warcraft has received recently, towards smaller updates, Brack said."
Our plan is to package these features into smaller content updates and to release them as soon as possible, rather than wait and release larger updates more infrequently.
Brack indicated that patch 4.1 is roughly two months away.] "We've started to put a build up on the PTR [Public Test Realm] so that players can take a look at it. Usually we're on the PTR for six to eight-ish weeks, plus or minus four weeks I would say. So that's probably where we are in terms of the development of 4.1.

So, 4.1 is on schedule. Also, it seems like Firelands has a target date that 4.1 isn't effecting.

Edit:
Looks like 4.1 hit PTR on 2-24.
6 weeks was April 7th.
8 weeks is April 21st
+4weeks is May 19th.

Edit 2:
So, May 17th for 4.1 without Firelands has been in thier range this whole time. That's 5 months after Cat. 3.1 hit 5 months after WOTLK. Dumb release strat for reasons we all know and have discussed.

Thoraxes

DeathNote said:
So, 4.1 is on schedule. Also, it seems like Firelands has a target date that 4.1 isn't effecting.

Edit:
Looks like 4.1 hit PTR on 2-24.
6 weeks was April 7th.
8 weeks is April 21st
+4weeks is May 19th.

Edit 2:
So, May 17th for 4.1 without Firelands has been in thier range this whole time. That's 5 months after Cat. 3.1 hit 5 months after WOTLK. Dumb release strat for reasons we all know and have discussed.
Is it me though, or does it seem that these small more frequent patches are still as infrequent as the major patch updates?

GLopez12

Neo Member
That's because they are as infrequent. The only way they're more frequent is if Blizzard is looking at the time between the Icecrown Citadel patch and the Cataclysm patch as the point of reference, which would just be ridiculous.

Mairu

Kinda sucks that 4.1 still isn't out yet. I can see Firelands not coming out until late June-early July, and that's a long time on farm content :(

Oh well, I'll just be playing a lot of games other than World of Warcraft.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Thoraxes said:
Is it me though, or does it seem that these small more frequent patches are still as infrequent as the major patch updates?
That's what he's saying.

They ARE, not to mention Firelands is smaller than Ulduar, and it's almost impossible that it's going to be better. Ulduar is like the height of Blizzard's dungeon design.

Angry Grimace said:
That's what he's saying.

They ARE, not to mention Firelands is smaller than Ulduar, and it's almost impossible that it's going to be better. Ulduar is like the height of Blizzard's dungeon design.

Exactly. Hence the reason I cancelled my sub two weeks ago.

Angry Grimace

ILOVEASIANS said:
Exactly. Hence the reason I cancelled my sub two weeks ago.
I'm just paying blizzard because I'm a masochist I guess.

GLopez12

Neo Member
I've been doing some of the quests for Loremaster lately, and, man, Blizzard really needs to add some sort of sound effects to the in-game cut scenes. They just feel so awkward with no music or voice acting.

Cipherr

J-Rzez said:
The game's pretty beat atm, and there's nothing to talk about outside of complaints, that's all. The majority of my guild now has froze their accounts, I see people saying all the time on the official and other forums, and I'm going to believe them this time when they say this. It's just in a boring state right now, and 4.1 is not going to make a difference. Especially once people see it for what it is, recycled dungeons, and a bunch of features that nobody was really asking for. 4.2 is the only hope of injecting life back into the game at this time, especially if that's when the next "PVP season" starts. But 4.2 is a long ways off unfortunately. Blizzard royally fucked up this time. I can't say I'm not shocked by all of this, as they started to really fall off during Wrath and it didn't bother them to let their fans toil in ICC for basically 12 months, a year. It's just confirming this is not the blizzard of old anymore, outside of the fact they're still the slowest developers out there.

Seriously, someone needs to sit down and have a long interview with these people, and they need to ask the hard questions. If you get "no comment" from them, or a walk out, it'll just expose them for what they are. If they give their typical generic responses that normally don't have anything to do with the questions asked, ask them again. Someone has to call them out.

I'll do it. Send me out there, I'll interview them. :)

No need. It was confirmed a long time ago in some interview that the vets that were mainly responsible for early Wow mostly moved on either right before wrath or during the development of wrath on to Diablo 3. And that its a new and upcoming core crew mostly running WoW in comparison to when it started. I haven't even had a minor itch to reactivate, but I visit the thread every now and then hoping to catch some patch notes that spark interest. But I think that time may be over for me with this game. Good run though.

Cipherr said:
No need. It was confirmed a long time ago in some interview that the vets that were mainly responsible for early Wow mostly moved on either right before wrath or during the development of wrath on to Diablo 3. And that its a new and upcoming core crew mostly running WoW in comparison to when it started. I haven't even had a minor itch to reactivate, but I visit the thread every now and then hoping to catch some patch notes that spark interest. But I think that time may be over for me with this game. Good run though.

I was under the impression that many of them moved onto Titan, not Diablo 3? At least I know that is where Tigole is at.

Angry Grimace said:

Not to mention that a lot of people expected Firelands, CoT, and something in Vash'jir even in what what would be 4.2. They seemed to really be pushing the multiple raid instance tiers with Cata's release. If all we get is Firelands, I suspect that the road from 4.2 to 4.3 (or whatever actually has raid content and isn't just more rehashed 5 mans) will be rougher than 4.0 to 4.2.

Miletius

Any suggestions on what to make with all this Dreamcloth? I took the long route to 525 and am now sitting on a lot of it.

TheExodu5

Banned
You know what's the best feeling in the world? When you quit raiding. It's the second time I quit raiding now, and I feel like this gigantic weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I suddenly have all this free time.

Heroics were just wearing me out. It wasn't fun anymore.

Angry Grimace said:
I'm just paying blizzard because I'm a masochist I guess.

Haha, yeah. I tried to hang on there for a while. I even fished for a bit in between trying new hard modes just for something new to do.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
TheExodu5 said:
You know what's the best feeling in the world? When you quit raiding. It's the second time I quit raiding now, and I feel like this gigantic weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I suddenly have all this free time.

Yeah, everytime i start to raid with the guilds i've been to, i feel like i should have never started... like right now, my guild wants to raid on wednesday and thursday, but this week i'd rather play Portal 2. And i think i will, no raids is gonna stop me from playing a new game, especially not a Valve game. And if this ends up with me not being in their main raiding group anymore, then i will surely not complain.

TheExodu5 said:

It's because you're dropping a commitment, you don't have to worry about peer pressure enforcing attendance anymore. Raiding on a schedule can be fun, but it definitely becomes stressful over time, even if you don't notice the stress building up. When you stop, there's this great release of pressure.

Top Bottom