• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I decided to start PVPing again. I was like "I need the cloak,a second ring,boots, two trinks, and two encahnts to complete my bloodthristy set".

Thought it'd be simple. Holy shit, I'm on the 2nd trink and it has taken so long.

Getting the other 10 pieces was cake back in the day.

They say 4.1 is going to double honor gains, but can't that be hot fixed? Why make people suffer for a few months waiting?

Another issue is the queue system is messed up. When it's 10 minutes past the average time, I'll leave and rejoin the queue and enter it quicker than the average time. ugh.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
DeathNote said:
I decided to start PVPing again. I was like "I need the cloak,a second ring,boots, two trinks, and two encahnts to complete my bloodthristy set".

Thought it'd be simple. Holy shit, I'm on the 2nd trink and it has taken so long.

Getting the other 10 pieces was cake back in the day.

They say 4.1 is going to double honor gains, but can't that be hot fixed? Why make people suffer for a few months waiting?

Another issue is the queue system is messed up. When it's 10 minutes past the average time, I'll leave and rejoin the queue and enter it quicker than the average time. ugh.

Yeah, more Honor, and you can trade JP for Honor. 4.1 is going to be nice for people who want all of the blue PVP gear without having to do hundreds of bgs. At least i'll stop wasting my JP into enchanting mats.

man of science

Neo Member
So, why are there so few tanks? Is it because the tank can't afk in random dungeons for easy loot/xp? My paladin is level 22 and tanking is so much fun and so easy with threat plates. Tthe only problem is after leveling up a priest to 77 i have trust issues with random healers.

man of science said:
So, why are there so few tanks? Is it because the tank can't afk in random dungeons for easy loot/xp? My paladin is level 22 and tanking is so much fun and so easy with threat plates. Tthe only problem is after leveling up a priest to 77 i have trust issues with random healers.

It requires more concentration than the other roles and isn't necessarily relaxing, as just laying back and pew-pewing at stuff might be. As a tank you're the one driving progress in the dungeon forward - if others in the group tried to do so, they would die.

Just a couple of reasons, among others.

Tanks usually bear the brunt of the blame when groups fail. If you play a tank, you're going to get called out a lot, especially with wipes (even if it wasn't your fault). And no tank is a pro when starting out. It just takes some experience. On the plus side, tanks are really fun to play. I always enjoyed not having to worry about putting up big dps numbers, and taking big hits without dying. My main is/was a clothie, so playing a tank was an awesome change.

Fugu

Deputy Moonman said:
Tanks usually bear the brunt of the blame when groups fail. If you play a tank, you're going to get called out a lot, especially with wipes (even if it wasn't your fault). And no tank is a pro when starting out. It just takes some experience. On the plus side, tanks are really fun to play. I always enjoyed not having to worry about putting up big dps numbers, and taking big hits without dying. My main is/was a clothie, so playing a tank was an awesome change.
People have absolutely ludicrous expectations of tanks. They expect that a tank will hold aggro no matter what they do and when they don't it's absolutely totally the fault of the tank. I suspect that this is because not many players have actually tried playing a tank and have never had the experience of seeing the threat mechanics from the other side.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
zmoney said:
So...no takers on a GAF guild?
GAF has apparently tried to make a guild for years and it has always failed.

Nowadays, there's guild leveling in the picture.

Right before cat launched a lot of people decided to roll characters on your server together, I don't know what happened there, if people are still playing or not.

Miletius

I'm on A52 horde but couldn't see myself leaving my current guild (which I've been with for years). I don't really play alts either. If you need help with random stuff though you can hit me up.

Tamanon

Banned
Fugu said:
People have absolutely ludicrous expectations of tanks. They expect that a tank will hold aggro no matter what they do and when they don't it's absolutely totally the fault of the tank. I suspect that this is because not many players have actually tried playing a tank and have never had the experience of seeing the threat mechanics from the other side.

Yeah, I was tanking Utgarde Keep last night with my Warrior, and there was this Fury Warrior that kept taking damage, both because of the explosions the guys drop and the fact that he just loved cleaving away before I actually had time to build enough aggro. He kept berating me as "tank, learn to hold aggro", even though he was the only one grabbing it and eventually dying. I've just learned to ignore folks like that.

Entropia

No One Remembers
The ones that usually say their tanks suck are the ones that can't watch their threat. And it's typically Warrior DPS that's guilty of this because they charge in and use every cleave they have.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
DeathNote said:
Are you a veteran tank that doesn't plan on raiding and is playing casually?.

I'd like to say veteran as I've tanked both hardcore and casually for 3 years on and off. And I don't plan on returning to anything other than 1 hour session in the early morning or mid-day.

DeathNote said:
I'm pretty sure 4.1 comes out next week. There's a minimum iLevel average of 346 to do the tier 2 heroics (Zul'Alman and ul'Gurub). They drop 353 gear, the current raid gear is 359.

When Firelands hits in a few months, all the 359 vendor Valor gear will be in Justice vendors.

Heroics get repetitive and faceroll fast over time. You can only do them for so long before you need to expand your horizons. Raid/alts/pvp. If you're casual enough, you'll still be running them in a few months for the epic vendor gear. You can't stock up on justice points, 4000 is the cap.

And I don't know why you're taking about instant gratification or who you're referring to. Everyone knows it takes a lot of time to gear up.

And don't you worry. If, despite my casual-ity, I still manage to hit the justice cap I have a paladin at 85 too that can run heroics. But not being able to use my Val'anyr makes me sad.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
GAF has apparently tried to make a guild for years and it has always failed.

Nowadays, there's guild leveling in the picture.

Right before cat launched a lot of people decided to roll characters on your server together, I don't know what happened there, if people are still playing or not.
It might have worked if it had been set up on Day 1. But nobody could agree which server and time zone to use so it just fell apart and it was too late.

When should I use army of the dead as DPS on each raid encounter? I just joined a guild that's been raiding for months and I haven't killed a boss yet. I'm having an info overload trying to plan out every boss without a first person POV.

Narag

half a moon said:
When should I use army of the dead as DPS on each raid encounter? I just joined a guild that's been raiding for months and I haven't killed a boss yet. I'm having an info overload trying to plan out every boss without a first person POV.

That's likely at the discretion of your raid leader.

Swag

half a moon said:
Don't the adds taunt? Don't think it would be a good idea to pop on a lot of fights

Sebulon3k said:
Don't the adds taunt? Don't think it would be a good idea to pop on a lot of fights

The ghouls will taunt adds in fights, but not raid bosses. (They still taunt 5-man dungeon bosses though).

Usually it's best to use Army at the start of the fight if the mechanics allow for it just to get it on cooldown. This is also a usually a good idea due to the long cast time of the spell.

However, the optimal use of Army will vary from fight to fight, especially if there is a specific "have to burn this down quick" phase.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
The ghouls will taunt adds in fights, but not raid bosses. (They still taunt 5-man dungeon bosses though).

Usually it's best to use Army at the start of the fight if the mechanics allow for it just to get it on cooldown. This is also a usually a good idea due to the long cast time of the spell.

However, the optimal use of Army will vary from fight to fight, especially if there is a specific "have to burn this down quick" phase.
Conclave of Wind for example. You have a burn phase at the end, but there'd be a DPS lost from cast time but not when the Elemental Monstrosity during Ascendant Council is forming?
I think we halted DPS on Anshal waiting for Rohash to catch up. So I could probably summon them right before we burn them to death and fly.

Miletius

Tideas said:
guys, what's a good website for warlock specs? talents?

For PvE just go to Elitist Jerks. The warlock section is well updated and has good class information.

For PvP, not sure, but I assume Arena Junkies works.

4.1 doesn't really bring many changes to warlocks so you should be good with even the soon to be outdated 4.0.6 specs.

TheYanger

half a moon said:
Conclave of Wind for example. You have a burn phase at the end, but there'd be a DPS lost from cast time but not when the Elemental Monstrosity during Ascendant Council is forming?
I think we halted DPS on Anshal waiting for Rohash to catch up. So I could probably summon them right before we burn them to death and fly.

Generally speaking army is best done pre-pull and again if it comes back up again, but there are a lot of other basic rules of thumb:

Are there adds, these will get taunted. This can be good or bad. If it's bad, make SURE
they're not up when this time comes. If it's good, make sure to save it.

Is there a lot of AE damage? If you're unholy it should still be ok, if you're frost or blood your ghouls are going to die the second anything sneezes at them. Time them so they'll get maximum impact.

Is there a burn phase where they won't die ala the last criteria? If yes, either save it or make sure you've got it up again for this phase.

Most fights if you just keep those generalities in mind you'll be good to go.

TheYanger said:
Generally speaking army is best done pre-pull and again if it comes back up again, but there are a lot of other basic rules of thumb:

Are there adds, these will get taunted. This can be good or bad. If it's bad, make SURE
they're not up when this time comes. If it's good, make sure to save it.

Is there a lot of AE damage? If you're unholy it should still be ok, if you're frost or blood your ghouls are going to die the second anything sneezes at them. Time them so they'll get maximum impact.

Is there a burn phase where they won't die ala the last criteria? If yes, either save it or make sure you've got it up again for this phase.

Most fights if you just keep those generalities in mind you'll be good to go.

I meant pre-pull when I said at the start of the fight (little shorthand in my mind going on there), but some good solid additional advice.

Army usage for blood can also be very different than as a DPS since it is a defense cooldown while channeling, but the focus here was on usage as DPS, so I won't go into that right now.

notworksafe

zmoney said:
Any idea on if and when hunters would get new pet families?
Next expansion.

DeathNote said:
It's my understanding that many are still there, though the "hardcore" (including myself) stopped playing after doing everything and getting bored. It's In Defense of the Genre, so check who's on there. When more content arrives, I expect things to perk back up. Not sure if I'll return though. Just tired with the "same old" from WoW. Our mumble and chats are still active though...with non-WoW stuff lol.

Alex

There's a lot I want in this patch, personally, it's probably, outside of raid content one of the most interesting patches to me personally.

My only complaint is that I wanted it a lot sooner. They said they'd patch faster and they really haven't at all, I was getting kind of pissed off seeing game tweaks and changes pushed back more and more when they could've just made another patch between this one and 4.2.

I like the trailer, but I want to say in a slightly off topic bit that I really like the logo. In fact I usually really like their logo work. What it makes me want is a new log-in screen for each patch. I get sick of those log-in screens! Silly complaint but I like presentation work so it'd be neat to see.

Mairu

It's hard to get excited about the patch when I'll likely get tired of ZG/ZA after a couple of runs as there's nothing there to gain from it outside of rare mounts and I'm not excited about the paladin changes. I'm just looking forward to 4.2 coming sooner since 4.1 is finally coming out :(

Alex said:
There's a lot I want in this patch, personally, it's probably, outside of raid content one of the most interesting patches to me personally.

My only complaint is that I wanted it a lot sooner. They said they'd patch faster and they really haven't at all, I was getting kind of pissed off seeing game tweaks and changes pushed back more and more when they could've just made another patch between this one and 4.2.

I like the trailer, but I want to say in a slightly off topic bit that I really like the logo. In fact I usually really like their logo work. What it makes me want is a new log-in screen for each patch. I get sick of those log-in screens! Silly complaint but I like presentation work so it'd be neat to see.

That logo really is quite nice. And I do agree that it would be near if the login screens changed with each patch. I'm still not a huge fan of the Cataclysm login screen after seeing the mockups of the one featuring the maelstrom and the other featuring the twilight hammer clan.

Aside from that, I'll probably run each dungeon at least once before my subscription expires after Children's Week. After completing the holiday (my last remaining one for the meta) and running the dungeons, I'm pretty sure I'm done playing the game until 4.2 comes out. Even that might not be enough to draw me in for long, but I'll probably turn up for each major patch release.

Alex

The Twilight Gate one was much better, I agree. I've not seen many people who DIDN'T agree with that.

Pollux

notworksafe said:
Next expansion.

It's my understanding that many are still there, though the "hardcore" (including myself) stopped playing after doing everything and getting bored. It's In Defense of the Genre, so check who's on there. When more content arrives, I expect things to perk back up. Not sure if I'll return though. Just tired with the "same old" from WoW. Our mumble and chats are still active though...with non-WoW stuff lol.

Wait what new families in 4.1??? I know you said theyre going to be there but does anyone know what they are yet?

Also what time tomorrow does this go active?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Alex said:

They won't admit this shit took way too long until the next expansion comes out. I think WoW might be too long in the tooth to make it to another one with the same level of popularity, though.

Jrmint

Really nice trailer but I feel like Blizz really contradicted themselves. They keep saying they want more and faster patches and this took almost as long as Wrath's first patch.

The patch looks great and I'm excited for the new 5 mans but I'm really hoping they stick to their claims and get 4.2 out within 2 months, though I won't be surprised if they don't.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Skel said:
Really nice trailer but I feel like Blizz really contradicted themselves. They keep saying they want more and faster patches and this took almost as long as Wrath's first patch.

The patch looks great and I'm excited for the new 5 mans but I'm really hoping they stick to their claims and get 4.2 out within 2 months, though I won't be surprised if they don't.
Look at the wording:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27251899&postcount=185
Technically, they did everything they said.

Jrmint

Smaller content patches and release them as soon as possible.

I suppose that left it open to interpretation.

Either way the intent of the message was to get these patches out smaller and faster. It's only the first one so time will tell, but 5 months instead of 6 and 2 months on ptr isn't my idea of faster.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Skel said:
Smaller content patches and release them as soon as possible.

I suppose that left it open to interpretation.

Either way the intent of the message was to get these patches out smaller and faster. It's only the first one so time will tell, but 5 months instead of 6 and 2 months on ptr isn't my idea of faster.
The interviewer should have said his PTR timeline makes 4.1 pretty damn infrequent. But, in an alternate universe, if everything released with Firelands in another month+ that'd be more infrequent and monolithic.

I wonder if they had a release date for Firelands planned back then.

The day he said that, which was days after 4.1 hit the PTR servers, we should have prodded. I only saw people say they contracticted themselves a month+ afterwards.

Jrmint

Well it wasn't until the patch took this long that they contradicted themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these blizz-bashers, and I do have faith in them. With that said, if 4.2 doesn't hit until mid July or august, I won't be surprised

Thoraxes

Skel said:
Well it wasn't until the patch took this long that they contradicted themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these blizz-bashers, and I do have faith in them. With that said, if 4.2 doesn't hit until mid July or august, I won't be surprised

Yeah, at this point, i'm expecting the patch to not hit till late July. Having the same raids for 6 months is already even stale, even with the hardmodes. I just really am in a good spot, so I force myself to log onto raid so I can have a spot when Firelands comes out.

The updater is going now right? Or will I not be able to do that "live patch" thing with the updater till they reactivate the realm servers to come back online? I mean, it was kinda like that in the alpha and beta, but I wasn't sure how it's happening with the first actual "major"
joke
patch.

I guess I can at least get my two achievements for doing the latest dungeons. The bad thing about the new Call to Arms, is that it discourages tanks for queuing up for the new ZA and ZG... Well, at least those of us that are in 372 gear, or all regular raid tier gear. It's much more easy and convenient to run ZA and ZG with guildies, and then get the satchel from the queue, so I think most tanks will be doing older instances for their VP and satchels.

Top Bottom