• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Skel said:
Well it wasn't until the patch took this long that they contradicted themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these blizz-bashers, and I do have faith in them. With that said, if 4.2 doesn't hit until mid July or august, I won't be surprised
My point is there's no "wasn't until", he said days after it hit PTR that it would basically take this long.

Thoraxes said:
The updater is going now right? Or will I not be able to do that "live patch" thing with the updater till they reactivate the realm servers to come back online? I mean, it was kinda like that in the alpha and beta, but I wasn't sure how it's happening with the first actual "major"
joke
patch.

I guess I can at least get my two achievements for doing the latest dungeons. The bad thing about the new Call to Arms, is that it discourages tanks for queuing up for the new ZA and ZG... Well, at least those of us that are in 372 gear, or all regular raid tier gear. It's much more easy and convenient to run ZA and ZG with guildies, and then get the satchel from the queue, so I think most tanks will be doing older instances for their VP and satchels.
I just downloaded the live patch and am dicking around on the PTR. Random dungeons are down on the PTR.

I'm gonna be farm the new dungeons in guild runs, then practice tanking or healing on alts in normal dungeons.

I think the new dungeons will be hard to pug. Prob a lot of wipes and annoyance.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
The interviewer should have said his PTR timeline makes 4.1 pretty damn infrequent. But, in an alternate universe, if everything released with Firelands in another month+ that'd be more infrequent and monolithic.

I wonder if they had a release date for Firelands planned back then.

The day he said that, which was days after 4.1 hit the PTR servers, we should have prodded. I only saw people say they contracticted themselves a month+ afterwards.
Firelands is going to be disappointing regardless since it's gonna be half the size of Ulduar. I'm pretty certain they'll repackage some old raid, perhaps AQ20, in with with it to try and take the sting out of a 6 month wait for new raid content.

Smaller raids are nice for guilds that raid only 12 hours a week, more time for progression and less time doing farm content. Firelands sounds great to me :)))

Thoraxes

DeathNote said:
I just downloaded the live patch and am dicking around on the PTR. Random dungeons are down on the PTR.
I'll have to make a quick stop home during my lunch break for work to start the download then. How large is it?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Firelands is going to be disappointing regardless since it's gonna be half the size of Ulduar. I'm pretty certain they'll repackage some old raid, perhaps AQ20, in with with it to try and take the sting out of a 6 month wait for new raid content.
True.

What was it like only having ICC for a year? After that, I don't even know if 3.1 is a good comparison anymore.

Thoraxes

DeathNote said:
True.

What was it like only having ICC for a year? After that, I don't even know if 3.1 is a good comparison anymore.
I quit after 4 months because I could not handle the gating and repetitiveness.
I just hope after this first patch that Blizzard does become more frequent with releases.

The only thing i'm curious about now is that "leaked" release schedule and whether or not they'll stick to it. If it is "real", I wonder how/if they anticipate delays with patch cycles, and milk the patches for more time to give them both more development time and to make the game last a little longer.

Then manye the dates get out of sync and they make a new release schedule?

cuevas said:
Smaller raids are nice for guilds that raid only 12 hours a week, more time for progression and less time doing farm content. Firelands sounds great to me :)))

Smaller raids are definitely better for lots of reasons -- more entry bosses to attempt, the ability to save a lockout on one to work on progressing a boss while farming the others, etc. but I think it's important to have a couple at a time. Firelands would really benefit from releasing besides at very least a new 3-boss raid or something to ensure that there's some options for what people are working on.

charlequin said:
Smaller raids are definitely better for lots of reasons -- more entry bosses to attempt, the ability to save a lockout on one to work on progressing a boss while farming the others, etc. but I think it's important to have a couple at a time. Firelands would really benefit from releasing besides at very least a new 3-boss raid or something to ensure that there's some options for what people are working on.

I don't know what the ilvl will be for non-heroic but I have a feeling that people will still want to go back to the old hard modes to try and get gear (those guilds that don't have sinestra on farm anyways).

J-Rzez

Skel said:
Well it wasn't until the patch took this long that they contradicted themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these blizz-bashers, and I do have faith in them. With that said, if 4.2 doesn't hit until mid July or august, I won't be surprised

I thought they learned from their mistakes of ICC especially saying "New content FASTER, we promise this time guys", but turns out that statement holds as much worth as other promises by blizzard, nil.

Even I don't think blizzard is THAT stupid and lazy to not get their first real Cata content patch out until July/Aug... Then again, I honestly would not be surprised.

I'm just curious to see if when they release that lion mount if they give money to Japan from it as everyone was saying they know they would, considering this mount was done a while back, and it seems like they're just dragging their feet to get it on the store for some reason.

charlequin said:

Certainly. I like the multiple smaller raid set up myself for all those reasons you said. Just so Firelands doesn't turn into ToC though, that's the thing, considering we don't know anything about a different raid outside of another lottery boss in TB.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
True.

I don't know, there was a lot more content in general in WLK leveling content, but Naxxramas was far easier. It's not that easy to compare. The wait just seemed shorter though because it took most people so long to hit 80 and get geared up (since you had to manually find groups for heroics, too)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
I don't know, there was a lot more content in general in WLK leveling content, but Naxxramas was far easier. It's not that easy to compare. The wait just seemed shorter though because it took most people so long to hit 80 and get geared up (since you had to manually find groups for heroics, too)
I'm not talking about where people had 5 months to level and do Naxx after launch. I agree there was a lot mote to do compared to Cat's launch in those 5 months.

I'm talking about having a year for ICC from the time ICC hit to the time Cat hit. Assuming you were raid ready when ICC launched.

notworksafe

We weren't ready for ICC when it launched. We spent like 2-3 weeks finishing up the Trial of the Crusader before heading in.

Then we went into ICC and didn't clear it til the 10% buff hit (maybe 15? I don't remember, honestly). After that it was just regular and heroic runs until we stopped maybe....2 months before the end of the xpac. Then we just did silly stuff like old raids and speed runs and such.

Of course I was in a guild that raided one day a week for 5-6 hours so my experience was pretty different. from most I'd imagine.

TheYanger

Yeah...a year of ICC was pretty bad, but the reality is most guilds were only fully farming it including HLK for like 5 months, still awful, but Halion was in there too and it was worthwhile to farm Ulduar/ToGC if you were into mounts and stuff too. The issue with ICC was more that everything was pathetically easy except for putricide/sindragosa, and then even though those were quality bosses the gap between them and HLK was massive as well, so you had months of farming 11/12 then finally get HLK, months of farming 12/12, and the only relief was Halion, which we killed the second day.. fun fight but totally pointless as a stopgap.

Gating was retarded then too, it could be fine now if they want to keep releasing 13 boss tiers where half the fights are broken or overtuned, but gating normal modes in icc was the worst decision ever, if they want to gate it needs to not be months and months of it, and it needs to be heroics not normals, that much should be obvious at this point.

Either way, BT was far worse than ICC, BT was literally an entire year of being the only thing to do.

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
I'm not talking about where people had 5 months to level and do Naxx after launch. I agree there was a lot mote to do compared to Cat's launch in those 5 months.

I'm talking about having a year for ICC from the time ICC hit to the time Cat hit. Assuming you were raid ready when ICC launched.
The vast majority of people I knew just quit playing; but that was an entirely different scenario.

Blizzard's predilection for putting out year long gaps between the last dungeon and an expansion is another issue entirely.

notworksafe

Eh, BT to Sunwell was only like 9 months. Plus it was filled with stuff like having to do the BT attunement for your main raid and then doing it again for people who would be added to the raid. Plenty of ways to fill time during that period.

BC was an expansion with a ton of raiding, though a lot of it was just about gearing and attuning new members.

Alex

Ok, put this patch back on the PTR, I take it all back, it's been up like 15 minutes and this shit is such a busted pile it's not even funny.

I especially can't believe they let DK runes go live like this, oh well, I'll enjoy my infinite resources for the time being!

Angry Grimace

[Insert current time]

We will be extending maintenance for all realms for 1 hour 30 minutes and anticipate they will be available for play at [Insert time 2 hours from now]. We will provide additional updates as necessary.

This should just be a standard patch-day macro. But what's even dumber is that they really added very little which should cause instability, and frankly, my guess is that "patch interest" in this patch are the lowest in memory of content patches.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Alex said:
Ok, put this patch back on the PTR, I take it all back, it's been up like 15 minutes and this shit is such a busted pile it's not even funny.

I especially can't believe they let DK runes go live like this, oh well, I'll enjoy my infinite resources for the time being!

Yeah, what the Hell??

Morn

Banned
Did Blizzard lay off their entire QA department or are they too busy messing around with Diablo III and Titan to pay attention to this shit?

Angry Grimace

It's so funny how every single patch has the identical posts, just with [insert whatever happens to be broken now].

It was always like that. There's never been a smooth patch launch, ever.

Alex

They already fixed the DK bug, so kudos to that, that was super fast.

Apparently the FPS and crashing is due to addons that poll the combat log, which was revamped in 4.1 (I suppose).

I guess the instance bugs got fixed out too.

So my whining ceases for now! Good response time.

Morn

Banned
Alex said:

Apparently the FPS and crashing is due to addons that poll the combat log, which was revamped in 4.1 (I suppose).

Yea they broke recount. Good.

Tamanon

Banned
Android App finally got the Armory:)

And the guildchat is pretty nice, although most of it was us discussing the PSN news, lol.

Angry Grimace

Alex said:

Every patch day should generally be started by disabling a lot of add-ons.

Angry Grimace

lol@the new "thunk" instead of "BOOOOOOOOOOOOM" when you hit the "play" button from the launcher

Angry Grimace

step 1: Logon
Step 2: Queue for "Random Zandalari Dungeon"
Step 3: Port straight to Daakarai and sit there afk while rest of bad group just sits there not letting you leave

man of science

Neo Member
Anyone find a fix for tidyplates yet? It's now the only addon I'm missing.

Edit: found a 6.2 (r259) file on wowinterface that seems to have fixed things.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The queues are rather fast for DPS right now, i like it. I wonder how long it will last though.

I tried ZG, but my pug had such a hard time, i think i'll just read some strats before getting into another group where no one knows what to do.

Angry Grimace

The recommended gear level for ZG should be 359. Every single player I've encountered in there so far is extremely bad.

Rokam

Angry Grimace said:
The recommended gear level for ZG should be 359. Every single player I've encountered in there so far is extremely bad.

IQ tests + Class specific tests anytime you enter a queue, timed as well.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Just done ZG. The first and last boss can be troublesome, but are easy when you get familiar. The rest is easy, including trash.

I hear the trash is ZA is harder than the bosses.

Don't pug for now.

ch0mp

Went with a guild run to ZA. 5 raiders so it was fairly easy. Got 2 upgrades for myself which means all purple gear now, and a bunch of maelstroms for the guild. They aren't going to be worth peanuts.

ch0mp said:
Went with a guild run to ZA. 5 raiders so it was fairly easy. Got 2 upgrades for myself which means all purple gear now, and a bunch of maelstroms for the guild. They aren't going to be worth peanuts.

Based on effort, what, 300g each?

Angry Grimace

Rokam said:
IQ tests + Class specific tests anytime you enter a queue, timed as well.
You wouldn't believe the amount of stupid I'm seeing

Some days I really wonder what's going on at Blizzard. They had a ton of time on this patch and it still releases with a bunch of issues. Plus they put whatever code from SC2 that breaks Razer Nagas on Mac into WoW. Did not need. Reported like 2 months ago in SC2 and still not fixed. Reported on the PTR and they still release the patch with it broken.

If they don't fix bugs from PTR builds what do they spend their time on? Frustrates me.

With the class updates they pretty much nerfed every encounter to the ground, lol. I expect a bunch of guilds to kill Sinestra this week, she's such a joke now.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
ch0mp said:

I don't see them being any worse than abyss crystals, but I'm loving the easy access to the maelstroms on my priest enchanter.

Tried healing a random heroic on my pally post patch to see what was in the goody bag. Got 55g and a couple of healing potions. Kinda meh, and had a group with a couple of dps that insisted on standing in all the bad stuff (we were doing Tol Vir). It was easier to just not bother healing them during the Saimat fight. :p Also, it looks like the croc boss is no longer skippable. The tornadoes that take you to Saimat wouldn't spawn until all of the other bosses were dead. Any word if this is the case in other dungeons that have skippable bosses?

Still a bit time consuming for 55g and some potions. A few more patches from now when everyone is far more geared, and plowing through instances like near the end of LK, and healers and tanks will be making money hand over fist while doing randoms.

Dunlop

cuevas said:
With the class updates they pretty much nerfed every encounter to the ground, lol. I expect a bunch of guilds to kill Sinestra this week, she's such a joke now.

this, we have a new guildy that we are showing the ropes and just steamrolled through content. The longest part was our server crashing twice...

Because by outfitter addon (and I am dumb) was disabled I did the first three bosses in BWD in my PVP blues, aside from wondering why my mana bar was on the low side I could not tell a difference as I thought it had something to do with the patch :p (with purples my mana barely moves)

jlai

Mr Nash said:
I don't see them being any worse than abyss crystals, but I'm loving the easy access to the maelstroms on my priest enchanter.

Tried healing a random heroic on my pally post patch to see what was in the goody bag. Got 55g and a couple of healing potions. Kinda meh, and had a group with a couple of dps that insisted on standing in all the bad stuff (we were doing Tol Vir). It was easier to just not bother healing them during the Saimat fight. :p Also, it looks like the croc boss is no longer skippable. The tornadoes that take you to Saimat wouldn't spawn until all of the other bosses were dead. Any word if this is the case in other dungeons that have skippable bosses?

Still a bit time consuming for 55g and some potions. A few more patches from now when everyone is far more geared, and plowing through instances like near the end of LK, and healers and tanks will be making money hand over fist while doing randoms.

I healed a random heroic last night for the goody bag and received 90g and a level 80 +armor potion I believe

Top Bottom