• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst game-breaking bug you've personally experienced?

KrisB

DOOM crashed on the last boss and corrupted my save.

Damn! I was scared of that happening to me yesterday, I think I would have put my fist through the screen if it did haha.

My worst one was probably corrupt save in Fallout: New Vegas being 30 odd hours deep.

Fallout 3 on 360. Visited Washington before I was supposed to which led to getting stuck in the drain pipe during a story quest. I had plenty of extra saves (over a hundred) but the crash 'seeds' had been planted early on.

Bethesda fixed the bug eventually...but not retrospectivly for save files. I lost 50 hours of progress.

woopWOOP

Beating the Elite 4 on my 2nd hand copy of Pokemon Emerald, get a corruption warning upon returning to the menu and lost all data.

Never did see that post-game content of generation 3.

Ohyeah, and plenty of Fallout 3/NV stuff ofcourse. Console version of FO3 had several bugged NPCs so I couldn't complete quests, in NV I managed to get stuck in between rocks and inside mountainous areas several times.

DPB

Kotor 2 on original Xbox. My character randomly got off of the ship at some ice planet location after a cut scene. I couldn't get back on the ship and the ice palace had no enemies/NPCs and no interact able doors. It came out of nowhere and I stupidly saved immediately after getting off of the ship thinking it was a boss area. Locked my file in that ice palace and never finished the game. 30 hours down the drain.

I ran into this too on PC, though by the time I played it I was already aware there were game-breaking bugs, so I still had a save from a couple of hours beforehand.

In Skyrim, one the NPCs key to the Thieves Guild quest-line inexplicably disappeared. I don't whether if it was ever fixed, but at the time you had to complete one of the quests immediately or the NPC would vanish. i ended up reverting to an older save about 10 or 15 hours before.

Also in Skyrim, I had all the guards and some NPCs in a city attack me for no apparent reason, even though I had no bounty and I hadn't interacted with anyone there.

Joco

Lord of the Rings: War in the North. There's a bug where after you encounter Radagast about halfway in the game, the main quest line doesn't get updated, making it impossible to get any further. I even restarted the entire game some months later assuming it had been patched, but once again ran into it. Said screw it and got rid of that POS after that.

Also loaded up Skyrim on my 360 one day to find my 250+ hour save disappeared. Never have acquired the willpower to play it again even though I did want to play the Dragonborn DLC.

Ran into the corrupt save fie bug on Zero Escape: Virture's Last Reward while I was reviewing it. Luckily I was only a few hours in, and Aksys informed me how to avoid it (so it wouldn't happen again).

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Fallout Shelter: Save file just spontaneously disappeared one day. Despite having cloud save enabled, the last time it had saved to the cloud was over a week previous. Glad I never spent anything on the lunchboxes.

A friend and I were playing through Resident Evil 5 when GFWL or the game itself decided to fuck us over during the QTE section after Wesker's 'global saturation' speech.

The game would stutter and force us into separate games. We tried to power through this problem, but eventually gave up for about 7 months.

Piggus

I had a weird problem with my GTAIII disk on PS2 where the game would stop streaming level assets whenever the Chatterbox station played. As soon as it would come on, you could drive maybe 100 yards before falling through the ground, at which point the game would lock up completely.

In what was definitely a dick move, I just rented a copy and swapped the disks. :p Problem solved!

Tomb Raider Underworld. Don't remember the specifics but if you do something early in the game a bridge won't spawn. There's no way to continue beyond that point, you have to restart the game.

I don't use walkthroughs because I'm a stubborn bastard so I spent over an hour trying to figure out if I was missing something before I consulted the net. That was the moment when I got disillusioned with games last gen.

Romir

Rise of the Tomb Raider save corruption bug that wasn't retroactively fixed. I bought the xbox one for that too. What a farce.

KOTOR 2 and it was the weirdest bug I've ever experienced.

There's a level in a dark future city kinda place and at a certain point your ship gets taken over by badguys (and the party members you don't currently have are captured) and you have to return and take it back.

I did the mission and returned to what I was doing, but then the quest triggered AGAIN. I was very confused and went ahead and redid it, but at the end, none of my crew reappeared on the ship. I figured it was a weird bug and just do decided to keep playing and finish the level up.

About 5 hours later or more I finished the main quest in the area and returned to my ship and go to the next planet, but when I got to the ship, my crew was still gone AND I COULDN'T ACTIVATE THE SHIP TO LEAVE THE AREA.

I keep a bunch of saves is these kinds of games so I can go back and fix things like this, but I had overwritten the saves that went back that far (because it had happened so long ago). So I was screwed and unable to finish the game (just like Obsidian didn't finish it, lol).

corruptsave1.png

Bethesda save corrupting issue.

Crashes are one thing, but to have your entire progress just wiped in a snap of a finger, thats a whole new level of fuckery.

Son Of D

Was close to the end in God of War 2. There was a corridor that had enemies you had to kill before a trap crushes you. After killing the enemies the trap is meant to move back to let you continue. But the first time I played it the trap didn't move so I couldn't progress.

And I made the massive mistake of saving after the battle since I thought I was meant to do something else to move the trap back. I had a save from about an hour before that so I replayed and the same thing happened. Had to start from the beginning again and basically speedrun it to try again. Thankfully it worked upon restarting the game.

LoveCake

Fable III - Final fight family vanishing glitch.

All that time invested in the game wasted, never touched or will again anything Fable, Lionhead or Peter Molyneux.

I had the collectors edition as I had loved the first and second games, there was a fair amount of DLC included that was to come later, once I found out about the family vanishing glitch it was too late as I only discovered it was an issue when it had happened to me, I remember that they were working on a fix but that it would take time, but once the family had vanished there was no way to get them back and the entire game had to be played again, I was incandescent with rage, I even wrote a letter to Lionhead/Peter Molyneux with a copy of my receipt asking for a refund for releasing a game that contained a completely game destroying glitch/bug, but I never received a reply from them, I felt robbed of my money and more importantly time and effort I had invested in the game.

Risev1

Became a vampire on the GOTY edition of Oblivion on PS3. If you remember, once you become a vampire, you literally can't cure yourself due to a glitch on the GOTY version. It wasn't the sort of glitch that happened just once every few times, curing vampirisim was literally impossible on the PS3 GOTY version. They shipped the game like that. I don't think it was ever fixed.

Edit: googling the issue seems to have uncovered some sort of fix I was not aware of involving changing the language of the system. 13 years old me would have never figured it out though.

Henrar

Dragon Age Origins crashing during loading of Lothering because of RAM limits (the game is 32 bit application and is limited by Windows to use 2GB of RAM max). This happened all the time after exiting the game and restarting ot and didn't happen when I got to Lothering in one sitting.

Also, KotOR 2 crashing on load on Onderon. It took hours of googling to pinpoint the cause - you has to remove lightsaber from your character.

EDIT: Maybe not really gamebreaking, but in Dragon Age: Origins Awakening in that huge city there are quests for smugglers and city guard. Doing quest for one group should prevent you from getting the other. Somehow you can get both quests and fuck both of them (you can't finish either and the quest log doesn't even get updated) preventing one companion quest to start. It made me quit the game on not play it again.

Installing the Fire Emblem Fates demo on my 3DS deleted all my Art Academy saves. I was devastated.

But when I deleted the Fire Emblem Demo, all my artwork came back.

Really weird bug.

I was several hours into darksiders and was having a blast, got it in the thq humble bundle. There was a lever the camera had panned to clearly indicating i needed to pull it inorder to proceed past a door. I pulled the lever the game saved and the door didnt open. I tryed to leave the area and come back...no dice... Tryed to revert the game save...no chance..after a couple hours of troubleshooting i called the quites and booted up saint row 3. Have yet to finish/play darksiders since.

Henrar

Kotor 2 on original Xbox. My character randomly got off of the ship at some ice planet location after a cut scene. I couldn't get back on the ship and the ice palace had no enemies/NPCs and no interact able doors. It came out of nowhere and I stupidly saved immediately after getting off of the ship thinking it was a boss area. Locked my file in that ice palace and never finished the game. 30 hours down the drain.
I remember similar bug in KotOR 2 in the beginning of the game. After you get to snowy area on Telos and enter the palace, picking peaceful dialogue option causes scripts to bug and leaving you unable to finish the section (Talking to Handmaiden causes that dialogue to repeat over and over again).

And another edit: after some thinking - the infamous Rimlag in Skyrim on PS3, along with F:NV and F3 is definitely gamebreaking. It happened to me after spending over 50 hours in NV (it usually manifests way earlier but I was cautious with saves and what I was doing in the game so that the save file wouldn't get bigger). It was unplayable and I sold the game, never finishing it.

sasuke_91

Digimon World (PAL) for PS1
That Agumon that blocked the entrance of Ogremon's Fortress has driving me crazy when I was younger.

This. You couldn't finish the PAL version of the game because of this. We were kids, so we had no idea why it wouldn't work and nobody had access to the internet at that time.
I have no idea how this game could even be released in that state. Don't they get tested or something?

Dremark

Banned
Soul Calibur 3 fucking up your PS2 memory card.

Yeah after the 3rd or 4th time I lost my data I gave up on it and left the series behind. Really a shame as I loved the first 3 games.

Also Hotline Miami was super glitchy on PS3 and hard locked my console so often most of game sessions with the game ended due to crashes.

ibu

The plethora of bugs on Assassins Creed: Brotherhood on PS3 forced me to give up on the game, falling through the world, getting stuck on scenery and floating glitches ahoy. The worst game in the series that I played, killed it for me... Sadly.

Dremark

Banned
Kept tapping circle on that God of War 3 boss fight but it wouldn't continue. Still tapping, help.

Lol. I remember the original PS2 version of MGS2 used the Japanese buttons for confirm/cancel (X to cancel, circle to confirm) the opposite of what it usually is in the US and people were saying the game was defective and wouldn't start because they couldn't get past the title screen.

dadjumper

In Skyrim on PC there was that door in that sewer for a mainline quest that just wouldn't open, I ended up having to noclip to get the dialogue to trigger.

Also in Destiny there's some side mission from House of Wolves wherein my character just dies for no reason whatsoever. Still haven't been able to finish it.

Fallout 4 I had the most insane frame rate drops recently on the Xbox version it was beyond unplayable.

Perhaps it's been fixed now? I'm in no rush to re-install my hype for the game to a giant hit.

Chris1

Battlefield 3

I was near the end of the campaign and got stuck in a tight room with noway of getting out, I think I went in a room and the door was locked behind me or something can't really remember.. Couldn't be bothered replaying it since it was garbage anyways and quit.

Fbh

LOTR: War in The north. Playing in Co-op with a friend
At one point pretty far into the game you fight a giant spider boss. We beat it, but the objective never updated so the game still thinks we haven't defeated it. And it just breaks the game, you can replay the area and it won't update the objective, you can go to earlier areas and they are broken (they play cutscenes you already saw), etc.
The devs were aware of it but never fixed it, they just uploaded a guide with some steps to follow to avoid the bug, but if you already triggered it the official response was "you can just start a new game"

Oh also my 360 RROD'd when playing Star Ocean the last hope. When it came back it would tell me the save was corrupt. No idea if it was something with the console or the save but it's the only game where it happened. And I was like 40 hours into the game. Never finished it, I enjoyed the combat and exploration but the story and characters were waaaay too bad to invest another 40 hours in that game just to reach the area I was at

In Tomb Raider 2013 right before the last bit of the game a glitch happened where an enemy didn't spawn and the only way for you to progress was to kill him. The game only has auto save and only uses one bloody slot for this as well, it saved with this glitch and I had to literally start the game from the beginning again. It was really annoying.

*Splinter

Doom 3 (BFG Edition)

About half way through, a door that was supposed to be open wasn't open, so I had to restart from scratch (I think?). I believe this was caused by saving in a certain section of the game, but don't remember for sure.

Anyway it wasn't my first play through so I bother after that.

Oh, Trials Fusion. My first PS4 died when I was at 548 out of 550 medals (550 was my target, gold extremes and platinum everything else including all DLCs). Hundreds of hours playing and I was stopped 30 minutes from the "end" :(

I got a new PS4 asap, but was never able to recover the game disk from the dead PS4

I did eventually rebuy and finish it. Only had to repeat a few medals, unfortunately this included a gold medal on Meteorain (probably the hardest medal I had gotten)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
My save of Dark Souls corrupted in the
Gwyn
fight

Until this day never beated the game

ow! i would be super pissed if that happened to me. i found that fight the hardest in the game and i'd have flipped if my save got corrupted.

The Pyres of Novigrad bug in The Witcher III before they patched it was annoying as hell, but the absolute worst I experienced was the save eating bug in Battlefield 4 (which apparently is still there).

Polk

In (patched) Fallout 2 my car disappeared with crucial items needed to start oil tanker.
It's almost end of the game.

There was a Tiger Woods game on the PS2 that you could not get past a certain point in the career. I forget which one exactly but I had to take the disc back for a refund and they had to print more discs. Ah the days before online patches.

Otherwise the vast majority of glitches etc. for me have been in Bethesda games but none that were game breaking.

the original batch of wwf - no mercy on the n64 would wipe your save at random times and so they actually stopped producing the game for a bit.
it was released again with the glitch fixed but without blood, haha.

Glass

Ultima Ascension, my save file bugged right near the end of the game after countless hours of playing it. Didn't have the heart to start again for a long time.

Thud

Sands of Time glitch with the elevator. Could still walk around, but I the prince wasn't on the screen. The sound was also off so I couldn't progress.

So the save file was useless and I played it from start to finish again.

I have written about this several times on gaf but I'll do it again

The last boss of Silent Hill: Homecoming. There is a room right before the boss where you can gear up before the fight. There is also a save point right at the boss. I forgot to pick up any items before the save so I went in with about two handgun bullets and melee weapons.

The fucked up part is, if you load your save and try to go get the weapons the door doesn't work anymore. It just doesn't react to anything. I was fucked and I tried probably for a good 3 hours to beat the final boss with melee weapons and became so frustrated with the game that I threw my controller across the room and never played that game again. There were some awful clipping in that final boss that would prevent my hits from even registering. I don't think I have ever been so mad at a game my entire life

Oblivion and Fallout 3 the thread. Expecially the later.

Recently in Hyrule Warriors Legends I couldn't start the adventure mode in german or spanish. I had to change to english. Really weird.

Badger

Skyrim. Last quest I had to mop up in the vanilla game and the quest giver had clipped through the floor and wasn't accessible. Good times.

test_account

XP-39C²
Nuclear Throne for PS4/Vita. I've gotten to the last boss twice, and the game crashed on me both times. First it crashed almost right away, so i didnt even get to see the boss. The 2nd time, it crashed as soon as the boss started moving. The game has also crashed for me on later levels. Still havnt beaten the game because of this.

I bought this game nearly 6 months ago and it still hasnt been patched. Does anyone know any status info on a patch by the way?

KOTOR 2 and it was the weirdest bug I've ever experienced.

There's a level in a dark future city kinda place and at a certain point your ship gets taken over by badguys (and the party members you don't currently have are captured) and you have to return and take it back.

I did the mission and returned to what I was doing, but then the quest triggered AGAIN. I was very confused and went ahead and redid it, but at the end, none of my crew reappeared on the ship. I figured it was a weird bug and just do decided to keep playing and finish the level up.

About 5 hours later or more I finished the main quest in the area and returned to my ship and go to the next planet, but when I got to the ship, my crew was still gone AND I COULDN'T ACTIVATE THE SHIP TO LEAVE THE AREA.

I keep a bunch of saves is these kinds of games so I can go back and fix things like this, but I had overwritten the saves that went back that far (because it had happened so long ago). So I was screwed and unable to finish the game (just like Obsidian didn't finish it, lol).

I played it on the original Xbox and got stuck in the exact same spot. Can't remember the specifics but I guess the same thing happened to me.

Most recent was the save file corruption in the horrible Hitman Absolution. I was about 80% finished and then it happened. All gone, fuck that game.

Omerta

Firewatch

Fell through the world while the game saved... Reload in the eternal fall

Repeat ad infinitum - delete game

Top Bottom