• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst game-breaking bug you've personally experienced?

Dremark

Banned
the original batch of wwf - no mercy on the n64 would wipe your save at random times and so they actually stopped producing the game for a bit.
it was released again with the glitch fixed but without blood, haha.

Oh yeah I forgot all about that. Iirc they recalled it and allowed anyone who had bought it to get a fixed copy. Didn't realize that they took out the blood though.

Prince of Persia Warrior Within had one game breaking bug where you could skip some scene or level and could never progress to the end of the game.
I experienced it on my first palythrough and never bothered to play the game again after this.
I also bought the third game in advance so I could instantly play it when I was done with Warrior Within, but well... it remains unplayed to this day.

EDIT: I see I am not the only one who experienced that bug.

keero16

Neo Member
Pandora's Tower would freeze when trying to get to one of the final areas. It wasn't every time, but it happened often enough that it got annoying really fast. I think I read that certain copies are like this, it's a shame I happened to get one of them.

Final Fantasy 6 on the PS1 would freeze a lot for me, causing me to lose a lot of sessions and needing me to save often. Normally I would be able to get past a point where it freezed upon reloading. But halfway through the game, there was one battle that would always result in it freezing. I tried many times but it would always freeze there so I could not complete the game. The issue was attached to that save or maybe that PS1, as I started from the beginning years later on a PS2 and I could get past there.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
My PS4 corrupted the save from Dragon Age Inquisition and I lost about 80 hours.

Serves me right for not backing up I suppose.

Atomski

My Walking Dead season one save stopped working on the chapter before the last.

never went back...

Oh while on Telltale I also could not get the first chapter of The Wolf Within to save.. whever id finish the first episode it would show a bunch of choices I didnt make. The problem didnt go away till I installed windows 10. No idea what was up but I played the first chapter like 5 times before I could get it to save properly.

onken

Mafia 2 has this random bug in the mission driving sections where your car can fall through the road and into the void. Happened to me towards the end of a really long mission about 3/4 through the game, retried a bunch of times trying different routes etc. but no difference. Went back to it a couple of months later with the intent to re-do the whole stupid mission but my save was inexplicably wiped. Fuck Mafia 2.

I've only experienced two that I remember:

Prince of Persia:Warrior Within: Early in the game I got to what looked like a central room and I was exploring for goodies. I thought I was progressing normally but I guess I glitches through a wall and ended up in an area way later in the game because there were two enemies that my sword barely scratched and when I tried to skip them the jumping section required powers I didn't have. I swore off all Ubisoft games after that.

Mass Effect: there is an elevator with an autosave point on one of the main story planets and I reloaded a save and the elevator doors never opened, thus ending the adventures of Marty Shepard.

retroman

When playing The Conduit online, chances were absurdly high you'd spawn inside a wall at the start of the match. The only way to remedy this was to reset the system and hope for the best.

My Oblivion save file bugged out and I couldn't finish the final story quest. Literally 2 doors away from the ending and the prince wouldn't come with me through the door.

In recent memory, there was a map bug in Mad Max where objectives and the path to them wouldn't show up. In a huge sandbox game like Mad Max, it's pretty much a requirement. I got the game like 4-6 months after it was actually released and couldn't play for maybe 3-4 weeks until it was finally patched. I can't imagine how frustrating it would have been if I had bought it the day of release.

Basketball

In GTA San Andreas

The rapper guy would fall off the ledge before I could save him.

Had to restart the whole game. The glitch happened because of the peds riot cheat and if you deactivated it.. it would still happen.

This is apparently a pretty common issue, and the fact that they're still selling this game without fixing major issues like this is why I've sworn myself off of buying any Telltale products. They are trash.

I think this is the only one I've ever encountered. Supposedly there is a work around where people have reported replaying that chapter fixes it, but I never bothered going back to see. I cant believe Telltale is making all of these licensed adventure games and they still haven't fixed this bug (I played it pretty recently).

Actually I once had my 360 red ring while playing GTAIV, but I don't want to say it was a bug given that early 360s are fucking awful and I'm not positive it was the game's fault. It just kept crashing on me whenever I would load my game.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
doom is pretty crashy for me and it corrupted my save, recoovered it and its put the save in 'developer mode' so no achievements pop.

its not game breaking entirely, but it resets the difficulty back to super easy on every load, so that plus the achieve thing are really putting a damper on what would be my game of the year

Aurongel

I encountered a super bad bug in Jak II where the game would never let me progress past a late game hover board mission. Given that the game up to that point was SUPER tough, I was fucking livid that I was locked out of the ending. I even got in touch with someone from Naughty Dog about sending my memory card to one of their Sony offices.

Gecoma

Eventually my copy of SSX for the PS3 would load to a black title screen & just play the music. No button press would get me past it. Deletions & Re-installs of game/save data (& even buying a digital copy) did nothing to fix it. I literally couldn't play the game for years.

Sometime last year I loaded it up on whim. Then at the broken title screen my controller happened to run out of battery. Suddenly, the title screen fully loaded in. I tested it a bit & figured out that every time it failed to load the title screen if I turned of my controller it would then load like normal. Defiantly the weirdest bug I've ever encountered anyway.

Hesh

Back when I got an Xbox 360 I got one of the MLB 2K games, maybe 2K8 or 2K9, and there was a bug in my Cubs season where when I got to a specific game against the Astros in Houston the game would always crash. If I played the game it would crash mid-game, and even if I simulated the game it would still crash. It was terrible. I was around halfway through a season, too. I ended up just hooking my PS2 back up and bought the latest version of The Show on PS2 and never looked back.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
When I was playing Sonic 3 on Wii Virtual Console, I got stuck in the level geometry (can't remember which zone it was). Not necessarily game-breaking, as it's a matter of letting the timer run out, losing a life and starting again from the last checkpoint, but I couldn't be bothered to wait 7 minutes or so and never went back to it.

I also found a place in Medal of Honor: Allied Assault that made me fall through the floor, and get stuck in limbo while able to see the map from below, as if the floor was invisible. Had to load a previous save so I could continue the game.

Little Big Adventure on PC-DOS. Does it count even if it's not a console game?
At any point during the gaming, you are given a specific objective and the main character's dialogue when interacting with NPCs reflects that.
Straying away from those objectives and accidentally triggering later events will make it that some useful NPCs' crucial flags will no longer get activated...
That stupid red card bug got me stumped so many times until I realized that the game wants me to proceed with the story in a linear fashion, even though the game seems very nonlinear...
In the sequel you could also engage in some interesting sequence breaking at the beginning of the game, letting you take the ship before stopping the storm. Can't remember if it broke the game, as I finished the game without using that glitch.

Manu

Half-Life. The final boss was bugged and I couldn't kill him with any weapon. Quit the game and never finished it.

...it's a puzzle boss. You're not supposed to kill him with your weapons. Not entirely, I mean.

Speaking of Half-Life, I remember the game autosaving right before I died, so every time it restarted I died again, so it restarted and I died, etc.

red731

The Last of Us PS3

At the dam, meeting with fam.
First day playing, eight hours in. Save bug.

Second day I was like WTF, but I knew stuff and pushed through again. ed: not even second day! I knew shit went south when there was nothing happening when I tryed to save!

It sucked.

d00d3n

The PC version of Batman Arkham Origins was pretty fucked up close to release (and may still be as far as I know). The open world had huge clipping issues that randomly placed you in infinite loops of falling through the world geometry. One of the central open world quests (link radio towers or whatever) was impossible to do due to these issues. A major sidequest (mad hatter I believe?) had an even worse bug that prevented you from ever proceeding with the game, so a lot of release threads nicely reminded people to attempt this after the main quest.

JTripper

Mafia 2 has this random bug in the mission driving sections where your car can fall through the road and into the void. Happened to me towards the end of a really long mission about 3/4 through the game, retried a bunch of times trying different routes etc. but no difference. Went back to it a couple of months later with the intent to re-do the whole stupid mission but my save was inexplicably wiped. Fuck Mafia 2.

This was an exploit I used for the dlc achievement for driving a thousand miles or some shit. Just fell through the map and left my console on overnight and there my achievement was in the morning lol. Except it didn't happen during a mission for me to break the game. I had to cause it in free roam.

At one point in Red Dead Revolver, I would get to a gunfight that would ALWAYS lock the game and force me to unplug my OG Xbox. With every copy of the game I tried, it would freeze at that specific gunfight. I never figured out if it was just my Xbox or that game or what.

LiK

Shitty ass random glitches in Destiny with Vault of Glass last boss. Made the Flawless run totally fucked for weeks.

fatchris

Corrupt save in Morrowind. Nearing the final quest, my character could infinitely fly through the air at lightning speed with heavy armor and could one-shot every single enemy that he came across. It was glorious and I never went back.

The stacked glowing Nirnroot bug in Skyrim. Any time I'd go anywhere near Riften my game would freeze, and I was too far in to start again so I waited ~8 months for them to fix it.

ElGoldur

Neo Member
I'm just happy someone else has played the game. My entire network of friends, even those playing games for decades, have never heard of it.

One of my favourite games ever ;) I managed to finished that game. Didn't like that much the LBA2.

A couple of months ago I bought it (LBA) on Android. But playing it on the phone is a bit tricky.

NaviLink

In recent memory, I played Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. It's a very boring game that hasn't aged well at all, but for some reason I wanted to finish it.

Problem is, in the next to last level, there is a spot that you can't get through. Like, not at all. You can't finish the game normally.

There is a way to bypass that spot via a convoluted method. Which I did. But I was so pissed, I did the last level with all the cheats turned on. And wrecked the shitty final boss.

Man, that was such a waste of time.

Oh yeah, same game: one enemy had me pinned down throwing grenades at me. Problem was, he had infinite grenades. And he was stuck in a loop screaming "grenada!" until I had enough. Had to reload my save, but it was hilarious.

REDSLATE

That bug with the Mythic Dawn outside the Northern city in Oblivion. Had to reload a save from several hours prior and trudge back through it. Taught me to save more often. I really need to go back and replay Oblivion...

Also, not so much a bug as poor game design, but I made it all the way to the end as a Soldier in my first playthrough of KotOR, only to be unable to defeat the final boss (focused on blasters rather than saber/force powers). Had to create a whole new game!

Upinsmoke

Remember playing Driver on PS1 and very close to the end I had to chase a car and through a tunnel but Everytime I got halfway through this tunnel the car would just go out of control and through the roof of the tunnel, practically fall through the map into an infinite fall. Everytime I reloaded the same thing would happen.

Also on Project Cars you race round Monza and all the AI cars crash as the last corner, then just stay stuck there for the duration of the race. Ridiculous

onken

This was an exploit I used for the dlc achievement for driving a thousand miles or some shit. Just fell through the map and left my console on overnight and there my achievement was in the morning lol. Except it didn't happen during a mission for me to break the game. I had to cause it in free roam.

Ha. Well at least some good came of it.

DrunkDan

the original batch of wwf - no mercy on the n64 would wipe your save at random times and so they actually stopped producing the game for a bit.
it was released again with the glitch fixed but without blood, haha.

I had two copies of the broken version (exchanged one for another thinking only my game was broken) before I finally got a proper copy. Me and a friend had spent ages on the various creation options tweaking the game and were gutted.

Rellik

The PC version of Batman Arkham Origins was pretty fucked up close to release (and may still be as far as I know). The open world had huge clipping issues that randomly placed you in infinite loops of falling through the world geometry. One of the central open world quests (link radio towers or whatever) was impossible to do due to these issues. A major sidequest (mad hatter I believe?) had an even worse bug that prevented you from ever proceeding with the game, so a lot of release threads nicely reminded people to attempt this after the main quest.

Yep. I was going to say Origins too. I got stuck in one of them towers for months until they finally patched it.

Greddleok

Doors to the temple on the paradise island in KOTOR wouldn't open, despite having completed everything I needed to get them open.

Had to restart from the beginning. Eh, I was young, I had the time and loved the game.

Coonce

Sometime in late 2003-5? Sony sent out a demo disc for PS2 games, some good ones and some crappy ones, the usual.

well all of the games were fine except Viewtiful Joe 2. It played totally fine, but the game itself completely corrupted your memory cards that were inserted in the system if you turned the demo on.

there was no warning of it, it just happened and you couldn't save the card after that.

I lost a hundred hour FFX save, a huge NFL street 2 save, and tons of other games.

thanks sony :(

About 85% of the way through Firewatch I randomly fell through the ground and the game decided to autosave as I was falling through oblivion. Fuck that shit.

Not sure if it was a bug per or just the horrid performance in general, but XCOM crashed for me on PS3. This is pretty regular. But one time, it corrupted my save file. Must have had 30-35 hours into it. No matter what I tried, the save file was lost. It would freeze the game every time I tried to load.

Luckily, I had a save file saved on the PS cloud that I could copy back to my PS3 but I still lost about 3-4 hours of playtime from the night so far.

Kent

The big one was KotOR - the Carth Glitch.

It's one thing to have a game-breaking bug hidden in some obscure location, but the entire game very specifically sets up one specific character has having the exact skill set suitable to a particular activity - in this case, stealth, and the ability to use an item that grants them a cloaking field.

However, if you complete this segment as this character while they're still stealthed? There's about an hour or two where you're no longer controlling that character, and are instead controlling other members of your party. When you finally regroup, everyone will be having a conversation, and when Carth intends to talk to the aforementioned stealth character, they'll still be stealthed, preventing Carth from actually talking to them, instead opting to simply idle in a non-bypassable cutscene.

So there went that save file.

That, combined with pretty much the entirety of Morrowind (which came out around a year beforehand), put me in a pretty bad mood with regards to bugs in games (and the quality of the modern WRPG, in general).

200 hours in fallout 3, game started crashing when ever I leveled up. Made me quit playing. It was probably for the best because I found out last year that even after 6 years off of the game I was still fatigued when fallout 4 came out. I can't believe the reused the same music, I mean, I have already listened to those songs for 200 Hours!

zon

Shadow man on PSX. The level that plays the Lizard King track. Something that was needed for me to continue the level wouldn't show up and reloading my save didn't fix it. It made me really angry because the only option for me, if I wanted to finish the game, was to replay the game and hope the bug wouldn't happen again. I just stopped playing and never touched the game again.

Manu

lost my save in Pokemon Blue when I was a kid. Shaped the person I am today, I now hate everything

image.php

Zophar

I platinum'd Skyrim on PS3, but not before a handful of hardlock freezes, and a trophy that wouldn't unlock without triggering a shady exploit (15 Daedric Artifacts, you need to get both possible options from Hircine instead of the one intended reward).

Top Bottom