• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow EB just really stuck it to the PSP

Lo-Volt

typhonsentra said:
Considering he said "I'm reporting this to SCEA!", it's pretty clear that it was a joke for any of you thick enough to not realize it by now.

And that's exactly how we're treating it.

Derps

Banned
If it wasn't for Nintendo we'd be in gaming nirvana right now, but then they had to come along with their "quirkyness" and **** up sh*t so bad now things like this happens

This is pathetic. The PSP is the greatest thing since abortions and it pains me to see it this way

Stage On

What's the problem that they are doing this anyway? Sure Psp is technologily better then the Ds but in some ways that same superioirty was a big double edged sword since it was too advanced for it's own good which lead to longer loading times early on, shorter battary life and higher cost (both for the system and development) three very bad things for ANY handheld gameing device to have.

Consdering how low support has been for the Psp overall which resulted in it having only a handful of truely "wow" games for and that few of those games for it have stayed exclusive to it then it's no suprise that retailers are favoring the Ds over it since DS sells more games.

Honestly if the Psp was all that then where why are some very crucial Gaming demographics not being covered properly. For example it lacks any true A+ rpg game of it's own that's not a ps1 port. Thanks to that I for one don't want one simply becuse it lacks games that are intresting to me despite all of it's other (overpriced) bells and wistles.

Eb got it right.... The DS is the future and has been ever since Dragon Quest 9 got annonced for it. That was the true Gameover point for the Psp since now the Ds is only going to gain more games and more momentium.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The worst part of this deal is that after trading in the PSP you still need to give them another $30.

Z3F

Banned
This is sorta OT since everyone's just having a laugh at the reactions that the AD is generating, but how much would gamestop make approximately from each transaction? A quick search on ebay showed several used PSPs going for more than 120 so why would anyone take EB's deal?

Parl

Derps said:
If it wasn't for Nintendo we'd be in gaming nirvana right now, but then they had to come along with their "quirkyness" and **** up sh*t so bad now things like this happens

This is pathetic. The PSP is the greatest thing since abortions and it pains me to see it this way

How many accounts do you have?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Derps said:

Conversely, I'm in gaming nirvana and you're messed in the head.
And I'm not even against abortions!

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Derps said:

Mana Knight set the bar pretty high. I'm sorry but you're just going to have to try harder.

Z3F said:
This is sorta OT since everyone's just having a laugh at the reactions that the AD is generating, but how much would gamestop make approximately from each transaction? A quick search on ebay showed several used PSPs going for more than 120 so why would anyone take EB's deal?

Convenience
Trade in your stuff, no hassling with shipping/listing on ebay/ebay fees/etc etc etc. Sometimes I'll have a huge number of games I don't play and I know I wouldn't make enough on ebay to care so eh...down it goes to the local EB.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Can you guys introduce some of mana knight's OT work into this retrospective? That's when things get so uncomfortable we slowly walk away from the computer.

typhonsentra said:
Considering he said "I'm reporting this to SCEA!", it's pretty clear that it was a joke for any of you thick enough to not realize it by now.

If it was anyone else that posted it I'd have to agree but dude, it's Mana Knight. He's only a tad less deranged than Kittonwy.

Z3F

Banned
Derps said:

I've never been interested in portable gaming but PSP got me excited enough to wait for one on launch morning. I sold it within 2 months. Several things bothered me about the PSP that the DS seems to have got right, although I still won't buy a DS:

1)controls. The nub is simply inadequete for 3d games and the overall PSP design makes my hands sore after more than 45 mins of playing.

2)battery life. Batteries have to be swapped or recharged too frequently.

3)loading time. Portable gaming is for the small interludes from work, school,etc. It's not fun to spend the precious rest time waiting for the game to load.

4)games. Too many games are like games that I can play on my PS2 at home, only that they have worse graphics, worse loading, worse controls but the PSP versions somehow cost the same price.

If Sony didn't have those problems above, I think they easily could have overtaken Nintendo or at least gave a much stronger challenge. Sony brought a lot of good stuff to the table with the PSP but they also overlooked some of the essentials for portable gaming.

ethelred

Musashi Wins! said:
Can you guys introduce some of mana knight's OT work into this retrospective? That's when things get so uncomfortable we slowly walk away from the computer.

Believe me, it was tempting, but I'm trying to be nice here.

Parl

Z3F said:
I've never been interested in portable gaming but PSP got me excited enough to wait for one on launch morning. I sold it within 2 months. Several things bothered me about the PSP that the DS seems to have got right, although I still won't buy a DS:

1)controls. The nub is simply inadequete for 3d games and the overall PSP design makes my hands sore after more than 45 mins of playing.

2)battery life. Batteries have to be swapped or recharged too frequently.

3)loading time. Portable gaming is for the small interludes from work, school,etc. It's not fun to spend the precious rest time waiting for the game to load.

4)games. Too many games are like games that I can play on my PS2 at home, only that they have worse graphics, worse loading, worse controls but the PSP versions somehow cost the same price.

If Sony didn't have those problems above, I think they easily could have overtaken Nintendo or at least gave a much stronger challenge. Sony brought a lot of good stuff to the table with the PSP but they also overlooked some of the essentials for portable gaming.

"I don't overlook price. I don't!"

MetalleR

Another_one_bites_the_dust.jpg

:D

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I dunno about you guys, but reading those Mana Knight excerps turned the mood from hilarious to... quite sad for me - I never noticed that he was that crazy...

...but then Derps made it funny again!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Mana Knight said:
Looking at that ad makes me want to never shop at EB again, even if they are my only choice. I personally think the PSP is way better than the DS.
No, Sony has been giving PSP pretty good support. Not the support PS3 will be getting and what PS2 got, but still pretty good. PSP is definitely the most amazing handheld ever.

I'm reporting this to SCEA asap.

Vilix said:
I can hear their response now. "We'll give you $1,200 if you can find one PSP that was traded in for a DS Lite."

Cosmonaut X said:

junkwaffle said:

I...
can't...
breathe...

Z3F said:

That's my main problem with the handheld. It has a handful of good exclusives for the most part but it is a system that plays console games when it should be playing portable games.
Everytime I read about a new original PSP release I end up thinking "this would make more sense to be on a console like the PS2", something I never thought about with the DS library.

Firestorm

I dunno if this has been answered or if it's just crazy fanboy wars, but is that an American ad or Canadian ad? I know we had that deal in Canada sometime last year and I think it might be back...

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure the ad/promo is fake. Think about it. We have seen how ridiculously well the DS is selling. We've been hearing how retailers have been constantly in short supply. On the other hand, there is a great supply of PSPs. And PSP sales could be better. So why buy back something you're having a hard time selling for something that sells out as soon as you put it on the shelf?

My only thinking is that EB makes a killing on selling used PSPs. Since it's hard enough to sell new PSPs at a $200. I guess they can sell more used ones at a cheaper price and bring in more revenue. Which means I just answered my own question.

Nevermind. :)

Flo_Evans said:
I don't know what is worse... the people pissed off or the people celebrating. :lol

<shrugs>

Some things you get used to....

Sad for those of us who really like the PSP, though. Sometimes, you're just not in the gaming mainstream.

Firestorm

Vilix said:
In all seriousness, I'm pretty sure the ad/promo is fake. Think about it. We have seen how ridiculously well the DS is selling. We've been hearing how retailers have been constantly in short supply. On the other hand, there is a great supply of PSPs. And PSP sales could be better. So why buy back something you're having a hard time selling for something that sells out as soon as you put it on the shelf?

My only thinking is that EB makes a killing on selling used PSPs. Since it's hard enough to sell new PSPs at a $200. I guess they can sell more used ones at a cheaper price and bring in more revenue. Which means I just answered my own question.

Nevermind. :)

No. It's definitely not fake. The promo happened in Canada last year and is happening currently as well.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126822

mj1108

You know, considering what it looks like most people here use their PSP's for (Emulation/NES/SNES), you really could say it is the "past".

I can see those that are offended posting here and then running off to play some emulated SNES games on their PSP.

Just reading this thread for the first time. It's almost like two distinct threads, BMK (Before Mana Knight) and AMK. MK's post changed everything.

BuddyC

Chalk this up as another thread I'm oh so excited to work through tomorrow. Borrowed time people, borrowed time.

Stage On

Derps said:

If it wasn't for Nintendo we probally wouldn't even HAVE a video game industry thanks to how they revivied the crashed market in the 80's. And if we did have one it probally wouldn't be half as advanced as ours is today with Out Nintendo's inovate drive towards the future.

Let's face it, if it weren't for the massive massive decades long succuess of the Gameboy brand there probally wouldn't have been a Psp in the first place.

BuddyC said:
Chalk this up as another thread I'm oh so excited to work through tomorrow. Borrowed time people, borrowed time.

Oops.
Well I won't be around for awhile once I get a hold of Crackdown anyway. :(

UncleGuito said:

AOL said:
If you're simply looking for a fun game system, you can find a Nintendo Wii (try eBay) or Xbox for around $400. You could also simply wait for more PS3 games or for the system itself to come down in price. Want to learn more? Click here to read more about the gaming wars.

That is pretty damn harsh.

MoxManiac

mj1108 said:
You know, considering what it looks like most people here use their PSP's for (Emulation/NES/SNES), you really could say it is the "past".

I can see those that are offended posting here and then running off to play some emulated SNES games on their PSP.

I can't really argue with this. My PSP has largely become a Marvel vs. Capcom player these days.

Of course, being able to play MvC automatically makes it the best portable ever made, so there ya go.

JCBossman

Banned
Fuzzy said:
The worst part of this deal is that after trading in the PSP you still need to give them another $30.

Absolutely right.
I'm thinking of taking a job at EB, then when "SUCKERS" walk in with good games and systems, I'll pay them the EB price out of my pocket and sell the shit on ebay with a markup

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
JCBossman said:
Absolutely right.
I'm thinking of taking a job at EB, then when "SUCKERS" walk in with good games and systems, I'll pay them the EB price out of my pocket and sell the shit on ebay with a markup
You'd last all of 30 seconds and probably have to deal with the cops. FUN!

JCBossman

Banned
What, you can't steal something they don't OWN, Hell I managed a a Baseball card store and a Mother came in with this MASSIVE old collection, I said, it would be more convient for her if our shop did a housecall, I bought the collection for like $500 bucks, I sold MANY single cards for that...:)

Top Bottom