• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF at this controller

Olivero

I have a friend whose hands are physically formed wrong. He can do triggers, and analog sticks, but not face buttons. I'm tempted to get him this for Christmas. If it really works that is. Any ideas?

The Faceless Master said:
wow, that's pretty sick. you never have to remove your thumbs from the analogs and it makes the triggers hair triggers. all they need now is to get banned from MLG!
Yeah, but let's face it, only losers care about MLG.

Olivero said:
I have a friend whose hands are physically formed wrong. He can do triggers, and analog sticks, but not face buttons. I'm tempted to get him this for Christmas. If it really works that is. Any ideas?
Watch the video that contains footage of folks playing with it, or buy it and try it yourself.

Afrikan

ok I think I understand how it works.....interesting..

it just basically makes it easier for you to reach all the buttons by having each button near your fingers and you just have to bump into those sensors to "press" that button....and you can move those sensors around to what best fits you.

interesting....I don't know if it works..but still interesting.

its almost like you are controlling a puppet....but instead of pulling up on a string you are just flicking it from various angles..and each string is connected to a face button.

alanias

Olivero said:
Watch the video posted earlier. Seems like it worked for another individual with a similar disability. Hard to say if it would work for your friend, but that'd be fantastic if it did.

Mindlog

Boonoo said:
The trouble with that is that unless it's fixed to you in some way it become hard (quite a bit slower) to hit the buttons while maintaining a nice grip on the controller.

When I'm using my DS or 360 I'm never exerting much pressure with my fingertips. I could easily manipulate several buttons placed there. The same goes with the trigger. I'd like to get the bumper button moved to be in line with the trigger.

Everywhere this device has a button extension is a place where the button should have been in the first place.

It took years for mice manufacturers to place two buttons under the thumb. I'd like to see more companies taking chances with controllers, but it's an expensive proposition.

shaowebb

Guevara said:

Whoa...
I wanted to mock the fuck out of this thing but my rate of fire would be huge with the trigger sensitivity this thing allows. Plus, the optional positioning showed at the end of the video with that chunk on the right allows you to tap b without ever having to remove your right thumb from strafing.

I'll admit this thing looks clunky as fuck, but with the bonus of insanely fast triggers and the ability to strafe and hit face buttons without moving my thumb you could get a lot faster very quickly using one of these. I'll have to test this out to see if it feels natural enough to work, but this...this might work.

Askani

The more I look at it, the more irked I am that they didn't find a way to integrate the A button in there too.

Askani said:
The more I look at it, the more irked I am that they didn't find a way to integrate the A button in there too.
You can perform nine actions at the same time and someone still complains about something.

Only on GAF.

Afrikan said:
ok I think I understand how it works.....interesting..

it just basically makes it easier for you to reach all the buttons by having each button near your fingers and you just have to bump into those sensors to "press" that button....and you can move those sensors around to what best fits you.

interesting....I don't know if it works..but still interesting.

its almost like you are controlling a puppet....but instead of pulling up on a string you are just flicking it from various angles..and each string is connected to a face button.

There's something else with it too. The tightening restricts the bounceback of the buttons. What this means is that in button-mashing situations (# of button hits per second), the lack of recoil thanks to this contraption helps tremendously with the rate.

Still, I liked it better when I could flick a switch to enable rapid-fire. This still makes me do all the hard work, it's just easier to do it now.

Ryuuga

Banned
lowrider007 said:
I honestly thought it was some kind of sophisticated padlock for your controller.

Really? That sounds utterly useless. Now, a nicely knit controller cozy on the other hand, there's an idea!

I would be tempted to take one for the team and try this thing but it doesn't look like it'd work with my beloved chatpad.

In all seriousness though, even though I was making fun of this thing if it helps people with certain hand issues that's pretty cool.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So my assumption is that the yellow and blue dongles hang above the triggers so you can flip up your indexes, effectively hitting X and Y without taking your thumb off of the right stick.

That's kind of cool actually. If I were a competitive gamer, I might be interested in it.

vg260

This is seriously a godsend if this helps those with physical hand issues to play. Props to the company if so. For the casual gamer, I dunno. I say just play the game with the stock pad like everyone else.

going from the manual, it should shorten the trigger responses too making them more like buttons in terms of their responsiveness.

wouldn't be good for a racing game in other words. it's an interesting little gizmo though even if it's not for me.

SamuraiX-

For fuck's sake.

This really is turning into the handicapped generation of gaming. Like Call of Duty wasn't easy enough. :lol

SamuraiX- said:
For fuck's sake.

This really is turning into the handicapped generation of gaming. Like Call of Duty wasn't easy enough. :lol
maybe you shouldn't use the term 'handicapped' like that in a thread about a controller cover originally designed to help people with an actual handicap.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'd actually love to try using this for Reach. I wouldn't buy one, but I would like to try one out.

webrunner

thetrin said:
I'd actually love to try using this for Reach. I wouldn't buy one, but I would like to try one out.

If you have reach you don't need it.

Get it.... because you can.. reach.. the buttons without it.

Olivero said:

Please do, and tell us how it goes! It would be fantastic for your friend if it worked!

nli10

Wanted to see how much it was ($60) so went to the shop

http://www.avengercontroller.com/store/index.php/avenger.html

Their Customer reviews:

Johan said:
buy it!
by Johan on November 11, 2010

It takes a real man to handle this warlock! i fell asleep of exhaustion from using this beast and when i woke up it had consumed my PS3 controller. i figured if you can't beat them join them and i've been kicking 13 year old ass with it on halo since.

strongly recommend. unless you're a bitch

avenger controller said:
by carl on November 11, 2010

I am going to get it. If it isn’t good then I will get my money back. If it is i will be ready when they start cheating.
I'm going to beat all you fags that have the fast internet lines. All you campers

Wow - it's like being on Live chat without turning the game on!

Now you, too, can learn an insanely baroque new method of controlling your favorite games!

My favorite part of the video is when they reverently demonstrate that blowing on your controller will activate one of the buttons as if this is somehow a good thing

charlequin said:
Now you, too, can learn an insanely baroque new method of controlling your favorite games!

My favorite part of the video is when they reverently demonstrate that blowing on your controller will activate one of the buttons as if this is somehow a good thing
c'mon, i'm sure you understand that the point is to show how little effort you can use to perform an action. and actually, it would be hilarious to blow on the controller and knife someone!

TommyT

charlequin said:
Sadly, calling it a "360 Controller Gimp Suit" would be kind of insensitive given its potential actual utility for disabled gamers. :lol

Is it bad when names that are so apropos can't be used :(

The Faceless Master said:
c'mon, i'm sure you understand that the point is to show how little effort you can use to perform an action. and actually, it would be hilarious to blow on the controller and knife someone!

I understand the point, but that doesn't make the video not kind of goofy and bad. :p

In terms of "pro gaming," I really kind of question the degree to which most of these improvements are relevant or the reaction time needed to depress a face button vs. knock into an ultra-sensitive borg limb thing is a relevant factor compared to the actual human reaction time that's the real limiting factor. (Making it possible to treat the triggers like real buttons is at least more arguable.)

farnham

Banned
Forkball said:
I've seen worse.
wii-star-controller-prototype-designs.jpg
i want that star controller

Top Bottom