• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF at this controller

ultron87 said:
instructions_final.jpg

See guys? It's simple!

lol anyone the similarities between this and transformers instructions?

http://www.unicron.com/tfitem/itemimage_view.php?mode=instructions&itemID=552&imageID=334

Mindlog

AshMcCool said:
Whats the point of pressing 9 Buttons at the same time? Games are not designed that way.
What's the point of raggedly throwing all the buttons under one or two fingers? Hands are not designed that way.

Ben Heck you magnificent bastard. You get me.

ghibli99

While ugly as hell, my wife would actually benefit from some of the issues this solves with modern controllers... she loves gaming, but manipulating all the buttons is a chore given her limited strength/mobility, which in turn limits the types and number of games she can play. We might have to give this a shot.

Dyno

Any of you canaries gone down this mine shaft yet? Impressions? If this thing is half decent I am definately the kind of fool to get one. If it allows me to own even more, then own I shall!

Davidion

Dyno said:
Any of you canaries gone down this mine shaft yet? Impressions? If this thing is half decent I am definately the kind of fool to get one. If it allows me to own even more, then own I shall!

I'm tempted to get an xbox controller just so I can use one. I love tinker-y interface shit.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
You must be pretty fucking useless if you cant press the face buttons and move the sticks at the same time.

How about trying to hold the controller differently?

CHEEZMO™ said:
You must be pretty fucking useless if you cant press the face buttons and move the sticks at the same time.

it doesn't just make it easier to press things simultaneously, it reduces the amount of effort required to press them or pull a trigger, meaning that when you want to press a button there's less time taken in that physical manipulation.

it's only appropriate for some games and i'm not going to get one, but i think it looks like a great piece of kit.

KiKaL

CHEEZMO™ said:

I am not seeing how I would hit B without taking my thumb off the right joystick. I think it actually does make sense for FPS. You normally have to take a thumb off of a joystick to reload/jump/action etc.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Remember back in the Quake PC days when all you had to do was create a script in the console to do this shit?

KiKaL said:
I am not seeing how I would hit B without taking my thumb off the right joystick. I think it actually does make sense for FPS. You normally have to take a thumb off of a joystick to reload/jump/action etc.

Allow me to introduce you to...

THE CLAW!

The-Claw.png

KiKaL

Wow guess that would work. Definitely looks odd but it would allow you to keep your thumbs on the joysticks.

Yeef

Wario64 said:
Remember back in the Quake PC days when all you had to do was create a script in the console to do this shit?
You can still do that in many PC games. I don't know that you were ever able to do it in console games.

Mindlog said:
Everything about the presentation is amateur hour. What they should do is drop all of the testimonials. Find some guy to do voice over on the cheap and focus on ergonomics. Then (as dryly as possible) present some bullshit stats about how fast you cant hit the buttons/triggers. Finally, close with the feel good story about the disabled player being able to enjoy his game more.
This.
I bet there a lot of people with disabilities that would be benefitted by this contraption:
Olivero said:
I have a friend whose hands are physically formed wrong. He can do triggers, and analog sticks, but not face buttons. I'm tempted to get him this for Christmas. If it really works that is. Any ideas?
ghibli99 said:
While ugly as hell, my wife would actually benefit from some of the issues this solves with modern controllers... she loves gaming, but manipulating all the buttons is a chore given her limited strength/mobility, which in turn limits the types and number of games she can play. We might have to give this a shot.

But then, their focus seems to be making CoD Xtreme:
"We can't wait for our community to experience Call of Duty: Black Ops." Lamia adds, "We have focused our entire studio on this game, with dedicated multiplayer, single-player and co-op teams creating the most intense, gripping and riveting experience possible for our fans on all fronts."

Nothing against it but, way to miss an oportunity.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
this gaming mouse looks pretty wild:

QkabV.jpg

it's like a piece of abstract art, and it looks like it might mangle your hand a little bit

kodt

Banned
Youta Mottenai said:

Marketing it as a tool to make you an Xtreme! COD player probably generates more sales than as a tool for partially disabled gamers.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Might pick this up for my cousin. He's handicapped and finds it difficult to use regular controllers. This looks like it could address his problems.

ghibli99

^^^ Yeah, I'll probably do the same.

Youta Mottenai said:
I bet there a lot of people with disabilities that would be benefitted by this contraption:

But then, their focus seems to be making CoD Xtreme:

Exactly... it almost feels like they knew their product worked great for folks with disabilities/limitations, but decided to go the "infomercial" route and claim that this thing would make people better gamers instead. They kind of insult both camps in the process. :(

Emitan

I love the video where the kid says that it makes you so good you can't lose, even if you're bad. He would be amazed at PC gaming. He's just making it sound like this thing is just paying cash to win. Sounds stupid but so many people on CoD brag about modded controllers and turtle beach headphones, so I'm not surprised it's a selling point.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
at first glance it looks ridiculous but man.. Whoever invented this is a genius, massive sale potential for people that play fps's

kodt said:
Marketing it as a tool to make you an Xtreme! COD player probably generates more sales than as a tool for partially disabled gamers.
Oh no, I totally understand and have nothing against that.
I just think it'd be sad if they overlook this other market, since they already have a solution that seems to work.
Luckily, by the posts in this thread, the mouth-to-mouth probably will fill this gap.

p.s. I've got a cold and mild fever, so I don't know if I'm making sense. ;P

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
$40 seems excessive as that is pretty much the price of an aftermarket controller which could have all of this hardwired rather than connected with bits of plastic.

It looks ridiculous but kind of makes sense once you see it in action. I have no interest in it but I'd like to hear the opinions of some pro gamers.

Loam

Having access to every button on the controller without taking your fingers off the analog sticks is a rather fantastic idea. As others have mentioned it has good potential for people who have trouble hitting face buttons for whatever reason. The bizarre contraption they created in order to accomplish this however seems more than a little excessive. Modding the controller to add extra buttons by the default triggers would have been a better approach in my opinion.
Acid08 said:
You guys don't know shit about video games till you play one on this

ridiculousdragoncontroller.jpg
This is so terrible I kind of want it just for kicks. It would be like showing up late and getting stuck with the $5 Mad Catz controller, only ten times worse.

Top Bottom