• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K16 |OT| 3:16 is not the metacritic score

It's just a horrible method to say you changed gameplay in the press release. The guys that created the system at 2k couldn't even use it successfully on their live stream yesterday. People were submitting to headlocks and shit.

Since I started playing last night, I'm starting to get the hang of it. I got some practice by playing the
2K showcase bonus match against Ricky Steamboat. You have to escape a sleeper hold mid way.
It took me about 4 tries, but afterwards, I found the system a little bit more forgiving. The L2 boost definitely helps when used right, but it seems like it's something that is going to take some time to get good at.

I'm not sure if I like this or button mashing better (I would need more time with this system to judge better), but maybe if enough people bring it up, 2K will patch submissions so it's easier to escape when you have less damage.

GravyButt

Whats annoying is for guys like Rollins. You have the pedigree as the front finisher and the curb stomp as the ground finisher. But every time you go to do the curb stomp the damn CHARGED FINISHER shows up instead. Anyone know how to not have that happen?!

Also I thought people said you could light tables on fire last year? Can you this year?!?! If so how, and it what types of matches?!?!

Hasney

Found a workaround for the Rumble thing, just did the showcase Rumble 3 times rather than the play match version it tells you to.

Still, in the third one...

XojEDjo.gif

Stuck on Royal Rumble '01when it's asking me to hit Kane 3x with a chair. Like WTF. How can you possibly get a chair in a royal rumble? Tried leaving the ring and nothing worked.

Also Mikey Whipwreck looks awfully out of place here. They didn't even bother to render him and looks like a CAW.

Mikey looks like current Lanny Poffo with dark hair.

Zach

Mashing is far more inline with the spirit/logic of professional wrestling.

For pins, its about mustering the strength to get out before 3 after a devastating maneuver.

The logic of submissions used to be you worked a body part all match and try finish an opponent with a trademark maneuver. The opponent would either try to prevent the hold from being locked in (reversal the start up) or fight through the pain to try and power out or reach the ropes.

Neither mini-game captures those aspects.

Agreed, brother.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Played as SCSA vs Cena whilst it installs

He reversed a finisher and took THREE stunners before he'd be beat

Jesus Christ

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Do the guys at GB enjoy ANYTHING? Whenever I see something of theirs on Twitter or whatever it's always hating on some game

Zach

Because clicking is not fun:
This Dan Ryckert fella said:
This chain wrestling shit in WWE 2K16 is every bit as bad as it was last year.

I understand why they put chain wrestling in the game in terms of pacing, but the actual mechanics in place are fucking terrible.

The AI in WWE 2K16 is still terrible. I'm fighting Bret Hart in a standard match, and he's tried to pin me outside the ring several times.

When Austin is lying down, Bret keeps turning him from his stomach to back and back to stomach over and over without doing any moves.

Oh cool! WWE 2K16 hard crashed to the PS4 menu while I was creating my MyCareer character, and I lost everything I was working on.

Playing the Mania 13 match with Bret, and JR/King can't stop talking about how much blood is pouring down Austin's face. He's not bleeding.

(also, I have blood turned on)

Just played a 3 man ladder match against Miz and Neville. I won by immediately going to get the ladder, setting it up, and climbing it while the other two fought,

I love this game.

GravyButt

Had an awesome match owens vs zayne. Upped the difficulty and put the momentum on slow (or whatever its called). Was very fun. He almost had me a few times, but I had a sweet reversal at the end into my finisher for the win. Felt like a realistic ending, minus Owens not cheating to win like he does sadly :(

Hasney

Jesus the curb stomp to RKO trophy was a lot of work. Can't do it in multiplayer and Seth just refuses to curb stomp. Had to remove all his OMG moments and the pedigree and even then he only went for it after saving up 3 finishers.

Not liking the limited reversals either. It's too easy to cheese and it can lead to situations where the other person can just wail on you while you're powerless. Just basic stomp the opponent and make them use all their reversals on that. That reverse animation is so shitty that they'll be stunned for a few frames giving you a free grapple that they'll either have to reverse and get 2 for the price of one, or start the stomping again. The AI won't reverse twice in a row either.

Two reversal buttons. That shit works. Go back to that.
Where are all the reviews, I thought the embargo was up today ?

Barely any of the major sites care. They'll get around to it, but probably playing better new games.

Shoujax

Neo Member
I know the game has only just come out, but based on what people have see so far (and possibly on how 2k15 was) what's the general consensus on the platform to get this for, ps4 or XBox one?

Kaiterra

Banned
I bet most of the attributes in this game still do NOTHING, right? Like literally nothing? And the ones that do have a really small range of effect?

Hasney

I know the game has only just come out, but based on what people have see so far (and possibly on how 2k15 was) what's the general consensus on the platform to get this for, ps4 or XBox one?

Wait for a price drop. It's still not that fun, but it's a small step in the right direction from 2k15. The glitches and jank that has been there since 2011 are also still here.

The systems they add are OK bar the Submission, but things with limited reversals are hindered by legacy jank animations that have been in for years so it's not that thought out. Game is identical on either system I believe, but PS4 just because it'll sell more so hopefully have more creations to download.

Wow, people actually like this game?

I am hearing people say that this is the most fun they've had since games like HCTP and N64 days.

...Is it true?

Hasney

I am hearing people say that this is the most fun they've had since games like HCTP and N64 days.

...Is it true?

God no.

Career mode might save it, yet to try since I just got all the Showcase trophies first.

Hasney

Showcase mode is such a grind. Please bring back season mode next year.

That's what career mode and Universe modes are supposed to be, replacements for Season. Showcase is just a playable DVD of whatever subject they want each year.

Past

That's what career mode and Universe modes are supposed to be, replacements for Season. Showcase is just a playable DVD of whatever subject they want each year.

Yeah, but there's literally no story in the career and Universe mode.

Hasney

Yeah, but there's literally no story in the career and Universe mode.

They have about the same level of story of the HCTP season mode where it was mostly on a PPV to PPV basis, which career apparently does have now and Universe tries to do (not very well) with the rivalries. I doubt Showcase is changing any time soon since it's basically been in since SD V Raw, just they changed to historical replications rather than the written for the game ones. They probably should do original showcases again though, the Christian one a while back was awesome.

Played as SCSA vs Cena whilst it installs

He reversed a finisher and took THREE stunners before he'd be beat

Jesus Christ
Sounds like Cena to me.

Found a workaround for the Rumble thing, just did the showcase Rumble 3 times rather than the play match version it tells you to.

Still, in the third one...

XojEDjo.gif
Wait you can actually get out of the ring now? Sweey.

...Is it true?
Opinions my friend.

Of ccourse you'll have some come in and say it's garbage but had that opinion before the game even had new screenshots.

Hasney

You can't get out of the ring in the Rumble. There's an objective to hit Kane with a chair but you personally can't get out. You have to let him hit you, then he'll leave and go get the chair.

Strongly considering getting this game. Couple of quick questions. Been looking quite a bit, but haven't found a definitive answer:

Can we change every superstar's hairstyle?

In terms of editing attires, are their limits? Like for example, could I put Undertaker in full New Day gear? Or am I just limited to swapping colors?

Thanks!

Orca

Oh cool! WWE 2K16 hard crashed to the PS4 menu while I was creating my MyCareer character, and I lost everything I was working on.

That happened to me on Xbox One as well, right at the end of creation. Just an awful feeling.

I think the submission system works better for the chain wrestling than for submissions. It 'feels' right to be working on the hold, then punch the guy to reset if he's getting the edge. Submission are just awful.

Top Bottom