• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE announcer John Bradshaw Layfield met with bullying accusations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tagyhag

I can sort of understand where Nash is coming from. Sort of. But he used it to defend JBL which makes my head shake.

I think there's a place for it and a way to do it. Hell, GAF, and yes I'm implying all people here who are members in some form or another do it when a new batch of Juniors come in. It's about learning the rules and the culture.

But GAF has rules. If you go too far in what you say to a Junior, you could get yourself juniored or even outright banned.

But what JBL did/does isn't ribbing. It isn't something that the recipient will look back at and think that they learned a lesson.

It's just malicious.

Fuck JBL.

Like, even if you're his friend and you never saw him outright bully someone, or only saw small ribs, the writing is on the wall.

Not only are there multiple people saying otherwise, you have him ON CAMERA outright assaulting The Blue Meanie. There's zero defense to that other than "Oh, he must have tripped".

I can understand defending friends, but when the evidence is out there, at some point, the defender of the bad guy is a bad guy by association.

1. And that's meant to be an excuse? Mauro's very outspoken about his issues, it's really not hard to find out.

2. The fuck? He shouldn't have gone there if he couldn't handle bullying? Really?

And no, Nash has been an asshole for decades.

No im sure he means he shouldn't have gone there if he couldn't handle the pressure of the job. Vince is very demanding on the commentators. He won't say 9/10 times much if a wrestler makes a mistake. But he will go brutal on a commentator even on a tiny mistake. He wants everything said the way he wants it to be.

One of the reasons Mick Foley quit as a commentator. He just couldn't handle Vince in his ear constantly. He said Vince treated him differently to when he was a wrestler. He was much more aggressive.

Acorn

Not surprised if this comes out as true. He's been known to be in the same category of assholes as Holly etc.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I love how you make this act seem like he's water boarding someone, your hate for Vince is embarrassing

It has zero to do with my hatred of him or anything and everything to do with him exerting power and control over other people and enjoying just that. Like I said, its not the act of shoving someone in a pool, its the looks on their faces when it happens and how much he relishes it..

DeathyBoy

Banned
No im sure he means he shouldn't have gone there if he couldn't handle the pressure of the job. Vince is very demanding on the commentators. He won't say 9/10 times much if a wrestler makes a mistake. But he will go brutal on a commentator even on a tiny mistake. He wants everything said the way he wants it to be.

One of the reasons Mick Foley quit as a commentator. He just couldn't handle Vince in his ear constantly. He said Vince treated him differently to when he was a wrestler. He was much more aggressive.

See, I call bullshit on Foley. He knew how they treated commentators, and yet he thought he'd be an exception. He wasn't hired like these poor guys who had no clue how awful it'd get.

My room mate was very understanding of my feelings on this matter and we've cancelled our WWE network subscription. I can't in good conscious support a company that is willing to shelter and support a man like Layfield.

DeathyBoy

Banned
My room mate was very understanding of my feelings on this matter and we've cancelled our WWE network subscription. I can't in good conscious support a company that is willing to shelter and support a man like Layfield.

The sad thing is this doesn't even hit top ten scummiest things WWE/WWF has done.

kirblar

Is JBL the sole reason that Mauro left?

The writing was on the wall for Mauro as soon as they put a 4th commentator on the announce team. Vince just didn't trust Mauro. Probably too over enthusiastic.
IIRC, Mauro was supposed to move to RAW to take Cole's place when Cole took his promotion to production.

Dazzler

Also un-subbed from Cheap Heat podcast as a result of this. Rosenberg is an utter hack who won't say a bad word about JBL, can't support that position

The sad thing is this doesn't even hit top ten scummiest things WWE/WWF has done.

Definitely not, but as mental health issues are something that very near and dear to myself, this is where I personally need to put my line in the sand.

It's really kind of shitty because WWE is something I "discovered" only a few years ago when I was first coming to grips with my own issues and it has helped me immensely by putting a smile on my face, but now I can't watch it without feeling miserable and sad :(

Even if JBL just came out and made a statement on this, if he honestly would admit he has been wrong and will try to be a better person, I would re-think my decision. But even while I write this I'm overwhelmed with depression and anxiety so I can't really justify giving them anymore of my time.

I gave Cheap Heat a try for while like 3 years ago. It was way to bro-ish for me.

Shoemaker split off when he went to The Ringer and started the Masked Man podcast. It's pretty good, basically cheap heat without Rosenberg's obnoxiousness (though I found it entertaining at times)

Striker

What Cena did was wrong, but let's not pretend Kenny and Alex were particularly good. Both make Zack Ryder look like Ric Flaur in comparison.

Now Miz should use whatever stroke he's got to get JBL kicked out. I mean he cut a promo on air about JBL being a bully no less.
So it's okay to be a dick and cause someone to lose their job because you feel they aren't particularly "good". JBL beat Blue Meanie's ass but since Blue wasn't a good wrestler, it's obviously okay.

DeathyBoy

Banned
So it's okay to be a dick and cause someone to lose their job because you feel they aren't particularly "good". JBL beat Blue Meanie's ass but since Blue wasn't a good wrestler, it's obviously okay.

I didn't say it was okay, I said it was wrong. But hyperbole about "promising careers" just undermines the point being made. It can be bad without forcing a sob story narrative.

Striker

I didn't say it was okay, I said it was wrong. But hyperbole about "promising careers" just undermines the point being made. It can be bad without forcing a sob story narrative.
Right. My response was to the user asking for the bullies/instigator to be dealt with by losing their job. Cena was a top guy and did some things that caused others to lose their job. But we both know he wasn't losing it, no matter who he did it to. Shawn Michaels is the classic case of 'top guy' being a complete dickhole and being hated by the roster and yet still hung around longer than he should have. It's not like Shawn was Hogan. He was never much of a draw but a guy who kissed a lot of ass, like JBL. Randy Orton is probably a more recent case though his problems were more drugs and attitude.

RBH

• There was an issue early in Mauro's Smackdown arrival. Lawler, used to calling Jim Ross “J.R.,” started calling Ranallo “M.R.,” likely an inside rib since decades earlier, when Lawler and McMahon were growing up it was short for “mental retard.” Of course few would know that since the term went away probably by the 70s. But after a few weeks, it was dropped.
  • Ranallo, being different, was the butt of jokes. He was tabbed as weird and the production room was filled with a lot of people who were emotionally still in high school. There would be the jibes about appearance and such, and it was far more than just Layfield.
  • McMahon was said to be frustrated at Ranallo for his announcing style and adding Tom Phillips to the Smackdown announce team as the fourth member was the first public sign of it.
  • The “Bring It To The Table,” episode on the WWE Network that was the straw that broke the camel’s back. It was noted to us that the subject matter of burying Ranallo was part of that episode and not Layfield going off on his own, and discussed ahead of time as to what should and shouldn’t be said.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...on_more_information_on_mauro_ranallo_and_wwe/

RBH

There was also an incident involving another non-wrestler who was well known to have a close family member dying, and had missed two weeks due to a minor operation. Layfield went off on that person for missing the shows, harassing the person and saying how he didn’t miss any shows after hernia surgery. The person noted that this wasn’t the week to do this, and he didn’t stop until the person was in tears.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...etails_on_another_incident_involving_jbl_and/

He's not going anywhere until people start reaching out to WWE's sponsors which will effect their bottom line. JBL is a disgusting sack of shit. I wonder if The Undertaker has ever called him out for this.

Shiv47

Man I hope there is some kind of consequence for this rotten shit.

The diehard fanbase will never stop watching, so while they agitate for someone like JBL to be fired, Vince doesn't care because he knows he's got their money regardless. The casual fans don't know about the reprehensible behavior of the company and will never find out, most likely. So WWE can do what it wants. You want change, stop giving WWE your money, and tell them why you stopped. But we know that'll never happen.

Who would this be about? And do veterans like ut just condone this kind of shit? It has to be people like him that have to speak up.

A guy like JBL gets to where he is in that company because most of the people with any kind of influence probably do he same thing and condone or enable his behavior. It's a culture. JBL isn't just single rotten apple. He's basically got Vince co-signing what he does, who the hell is going to dare speak up against that?

Mahonay

Banned
The diehard fanbase will never stop watching, so while they agitate for someone like JBL to be fired, Vince doesn't care because he knows he's got their money regardless. The casual fans don't know about the reprehensible behavior of the company and will never find out, most likely. So WWE can do what it wants. You want change, stop giving WWE your money, and tell them why you stopped. But we know that'll never happen.
I'm honestly considering I stop watching at the moment in light of this additional evidence.
If we're into there being consequences,
stop watching and talking about this product until they change
Great contribution.

IIRC, Mauro was supposed to move to RAW to take Cole's place when Cole took his promotion to production.

Well I call that rubbish.

Seems above is another source saying that Vince didn't trust Mauro. Lots of people in the wrestling community have said it. The fact he brought in another play by play commentator says it all.

I can't recall any place saying Cole was leaving Raw.

Couleurs

Shit won't happen until they lose sponsors.

Considering how most companies already avoid advertising on wrestling like the plague, their current advertisers are pretty much one step above the gold scams and catheter commercials on Fox News, so I wouldn't get my hopes up that anything will change.

jmdajr

Considering how most companies already avoid advertising on wrestling like the plague, their current advertisers are pretty much one step above the gold scams and catheter commercials on Fox News, so I wouldn't get my hopes up that anything will change.

A little old but, email Mattel.

The ”Attitude Era" may have launched the careers of ”Stone Cold" Steve Austin and Dwayne ”The Rock" Johnson during the 1990s, but WWE's programming was considered too edgy for advertisers. Five years ago, the wrestling conglom embraced a PG rating, and since then it's helped attract family-conscious advertisers like General Motors, Ford Motor Co., Disney, DreamWorks, Paramount, Kmart, Subway, Taco Bell, Colgate, Frito-Lay, Schick and Mattel. WWE nabbed $160 million through its toy licensing pact with Mattel last year, up from $110 million in 2010.

Your perspective is straight out of 2005.

It's 2017. Snickers, KFC, and Mountain Dew make expensive commercials and marketing campaigns featuring WWE wrestlers. Write to them.

Hex

Banned

Are you in some kind of time bubble in 1965?

Everyone advertises during Raw and Smackdown from your fast food giants, your big breakfast cereals your candy bars, and breakfast foods, to credit cards to cola companies.
Many directly sponsor shows.

Are you in some kind of time bubble in 1965?

Everyone advertises during Raw and Smackdown from your fast food giants, your big breakfast cereals your candy bars, and breakfast foods, to credit cards to cola companies.
Many directly sponsor shows.

tumblr_inline_odgkmbdX1q1s96ohp_500.gif

Fun fact: Sonic went out of the business 15 minutes after this segment aired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom