• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Men: Days of Future Past -- Trailer #3 (Final)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMerc

yes.
that's a completely different character.

'morph' in the 90's x-mens cartoon only existed in that cartoon and nowhere else. he was created because the producers wanted to kill off an x-men character early on in the series to 'set the tone' for the show, but they didn't want to enrage fans by killing off a 'main' character.

originally they were going to use Thunderbird (who actually did die in the comics in his first few months of being an x-man. he was later succeeded by his younger brother 'Warpath'; who coincidentally is in this upcoming x-men movie as part of the 'future' timeline) as the x-man who would be killed in the first few episodes, but they changed their minds last minute and created a character out of thin air to serve as the 'sacrifice'.

this is why, when you go back and watch the cartoon intro, you actually SEE thunderbird in the final part of the intro scene where xavier's x-men are charging towards magneto's brotherhood; just before 'x-men' appears. you know the scene; its during the final 'jingle' of that now classic x-men theme. ta-da-da-da-da-da-da, dun dun. that part.

the morph you've linked to is most prominenlty featured in two comic series: 'the exiles', and the 'age of apocalypse' timeline. don't get me started on the 'Age of Apocalype' timeline. it is, in my opinion, one of the greatest story arcs every created in x-men history. both are the same 'character', but are also both alternate reality versions of the mutant 'changeling' from the main timeline.

in the main x-men universe (the 616 universe), changeling died many many years ago while he was helping out the x-men. he's a fantastic character (especially in AoA), and it's a shame he is drastically underused.

Minion101

Banned
yes.

'morph' in the 90's x-mens cartoon only existed in that cartoon and nowhere else. he was created because the producers wanted to kill off an x-men character early on in the series to 'set the tone' for the show, but they didn't want to enrage fans by killing off a 'main' character.

originally they were going to use Thunderbird (who actually did die in the comics in his first few months of being an x-man. he was later succeeded by his younger brother 'Warpath'; who coincidentally is in this upcoming x-men movie as part of the 'future' timeline) as the x-man who would be killed in the first few episodes, but they changed their minds last minute and created a character out of thin air to serve as the 'sacrifice'.

this is why, when you go back and watch the cartoon intro, you actually SEE thunderbird in the final part of the intro scene where xavier's x-men are charging towards magneto's brotherhood; just before 'x-men' appears. you know the scene; its during the final 'jingle' of that now classic x-men theme. ta-da-da-da-da-da-da, dun dun. that part.

the morph you've linked to is most prominenlty featured in two comic series: 'the exiles', and the 'age of apocalypse' timeline. don't get me started on the 'Age of Apocalype' timeline. it is, in my opinion, one of the greatest story arcs every created in x-men history. both are the same 'character', but are also both alternate reality versions of the mutant 'changeling' from the main timeline.

in the main x-men universe (the 616 universe), changeling died many many years ago while he was helping out the x-men. he's a fantastic character (especially in AoA), and it's a shame he is drastically underused.

Lol thanks for clearing this up. I see him running with the brotherhood not the Xmen.

G-Fex

yes.

HAHAHA I always wondered why Thunderbird was in the intro but never the damn show

Oh man, this is the first I've seen of this movie. From the title I was hoping it'd be Bishop and Cyclops and Jean-focused, but I guess it's just another Wolverine and Miscellaneous Dudes movie. Shame.

Does the audience at large seriously just not care about X-Men apart from Wolverine?

Minion101

Banned
Oh man, this is the first I've seen of this movie. From the title I was hoping it'd be Bishop and Cyclops and Jean-focused, but I guess it's just another Wolverine and Miscellaneous Dudes movie. Shame.

Does the audience at large seriously just not care about X-Men apart from Wolverine?

A movie's got to have a leading man I guess.

Derwind

I dont care, my nerd-gasm at seeing so many marvel mutants on screen is really high. The story might turn into shit and they might change/omit a lot of details up that will be glaring for only the biggest geeks but I don't care.

cacildo

I love that part

iMerc

Lol thanks for clearing this up. I see him running with the brotherhood not the Xmen.

lol. actually you're right. i wonder how that got past production.
watching it again, there's a lot of 'off' things about that intro, as awesome as it is.

Bishop should be time travelling

hmmm. naah he really shouldn't.
the thing is; Bishop has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the 'Days of Future Past' saga.
hell, his character wasn't even created until several years later.

the 90's cartoon series took a massive dump on that story arc when they included a whole bunch of characters who had nothing to do with the plot at all.

it was still awesome to watch though.

Blader

Actually for some reason I assumed this had no continuity with the other X-Men movies. My mistake I guess.

Why can't the leading man be Bishop doe?

Because nobody knows who Bishop is. It's the same reason why Logan is the one going back in time and not Kitty. Wolverine is the main character that everyone recognizes; Kitty and Bishop have had little to no screentime in this series so it doesn't make sense to hinge the entire story on them.

.GqueB.

Banned

Just back to watch that intro and 1. Saw Thunderbird and 2. Realized how hilarious that shot is. What was Xaviers' plan? To bump Magneto with his chair? Classic.

.GqueB.

Banned
They announce the next movie is Apocalypse, I hope the ending credits show him...

"I know mooore in this woorrld than you could even drreeeaam."

That's like the only line from that show I remember so well and I don't know why. That and "I go... where I WANNA go..."

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
You on something, son?

in my world...X1 isnt even close to X2 or First Class imho. Usually im on green tea and snow peas to answer your question. Even if i give it a pass for looking bad because hey no one was gonna dump a TON of money on even the most popular comicbook of the past 20 years. The story was dumb, the action was ...the best they could do with the budget im gonna go with that. And the characterizations were something they were clearly pulling out of their asses. They didnt really build a foundation for anything memorable with X1 it was smedium good at the time, and didnt hold up. X2 built a foundation for more it was much better. Still a bunch of goofy shit in X2 though.

Experien

They announce the next movie is Apocalypse, I hope the ending credits show him...

Someone told me the post-credits scene was already leaked and it does something silly to set up for the next month. I feared this but wanted to remain as much in the dark as possible so I didn't bother follow him down the rabbit hole.

But Hugh Jackman was saying him and his son were having dinner with drunk Singer talking about the next movie. Sounds like a good portion will be taking place during that time period (that he wouldn't say) and Jackman's son had to tell him how history worked...also it isn't Age of Apocalypse story/timeline?

...tbh...how would they stop apoc if jean and cyke are dead...historically cable / stryfe are the ones that whoop apocs ass up and down the time stream.

Isn't Days of Future Past supposed to retcon all of the original X-Men trilogy and do a new timeline instead of them having First Class been a "reboot?" So if they stop X-Trilogy, then Cyclops and Jean can be alive!

Blader

It kinda undermines the scale of the conflicts in the original trilogy with the X-Men taking out fucking Apocalypse in the 80s. Like, everything afterward seems like not as big of a deal by comparison.

injurai

Banned
Someone told me the post-credits scene was already leaked and it does something silly to set up for the next month. I feared this but wanted to remain as much in the dark as possible so I didn't bother follow him down the rabbit hole.

But Hugh Jackman was saying him and his son were having dinner with drunk Singer talking about the next movie. Sounds like a good portion will be taking place during that time period (that he wouldn't say) and Jackman's son had to tell him how history worked...also it isn't Age of Apocalypse story/timeline?

Isn't Days of Future Past supposed to retcon all of the original X-Men trilogy and do a new timeline instead of them having First Class been a "reboot?" So if they stop X-Trilogy, then Cyclops and Jean can be alive!

That would be... interesting. Like the prisoner of azkaban for this series...

If they mostly overwrite what happened in X3 then fine by me. I really wish this series wasn't such a clusterfuck.

Age of Apocalypse is going to be about as faithful to the comics story as Dark Phoenix was to X2/X3, First Class was to First Class, and Days of Future Past to this movie.

In other words: Barely. It's a name and a concept to the filmmakers. That's all.

Experien

Age of Apocalypse is going to be about as faithful to the comics story as Dark Phoenix was to X2/X3, First Class was to First Class, and Days of Future Past to this movie.

In other words: Barely. It's a name and a concept to the filmmakers. That's all.

Remember, it is only called Apocalypse and they didn't say it was Age of Apocalypse.

...tbh...how would they stop apoc if jean and cyke are dead...historically cable / stryfe are the ones that whoop apocs ass up and down the time stream.

Hugh Jackman will beat him don't worry.

Can someone tell me why Cyclops and Jean have to be dead because of continuity but Prof X is alive? Didn't he die?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Hugh Jackman will beat him don't worry.

Can someone tell me why Cyclops and Jean have to be dead because of continuity but Prof X is alive? Didn't he die?

After credits scene of X3 SORTA explains this.
And this movie will essentially rewrite all the other X-Men movies out of existence (except for First Class), so Jean and Scott might show up in the next movie for all we know.

The editing in The Wolverine will drive you crazy. The chopsticks are standing, they aren't, they are. The gloves are taken off, cut, cut back, the gloves are coming off again.

Minion101

Banned
You would have them cast the same people in two competing franchises? In what version of the corporate world does that make business sense?

Michael Keaton played the same character (Ray Nicolette) in two unrelated films (Jackie Brown,Out of Sight) other than the novels they are based on.

There's a great story behind this on the Jackie Brown commentary. Apparently the studios were none-too-happy about Keaton going and doing this for Out of Sight, but Quentin thought it was such a cool idea that he demanded that the Out of Sight studio (I forget which did which) didn't have to pay Miramax for his rights. Quentin said it was a rare time that studios set aside their BS to let something organic happen.

pulga

Banned
Michael Keaton played the same character (Ray Nicolette) in two unrelated films (Jackie Brown,Out of Sight) other than the novels they are based on.

There's a great story behind this on the Jackie Brown commentary. Apparently the studios were none-too-happy about Keaton going and doing this for Out of Sight, but Quentin thought it was such a cool idea that he demanded that the Out of Sight studio (I forget which did which) didn't have to pay Miramax for his rights. Quentin said it was a rare time that studios set aside their BS to let something organic happen.

lol nice paraphrase

wait is bishoptl the opee sea killer

JdFoX187

Banned
It kinda undermines the scale of the conflicts in the original trilogy with the X-Men taking out fucking Apocalypse in the 80s. Like, everything afterward seems like not as big of a deal by comparison.

This is a completely new timeline, though. I'm guessing whatever happens in DofP triggers Apocalypse's appearance. He never appeared in the original timeline, much like how Sentinels weren't around before this started. Either that, or the continuity has somehow fucked up more than the comic book continuity.

Blader

This is a completely new timeline, though. I'm guessing whatever happens in DofP triggers Apocalypse's appearance. He never appeared in the original timeline, much like how Sentinels weren't around before this started. Either that, or the continuity has somehow fucked up more than the comic book continuity.

We don't know that yet. Also, a Sentinel was seen in the Danger Room in X3 -- which, back then, made no sense but actually works now that we know Sentinels existed in the 70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom