• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 dashboard update preview invites going out NOW. Who got in?

TP

Sean said:
This was the Fall 07 dashboard:

8b551

You had to scroll down through four menu items (one of them being an ad) to highlight the launch game option. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKy9OrCtpyk&fmt=18#t=0m26s

You could press up and it would take you to the tray, nothings changed

G_Berry said:
I got the update twice also. WTF is going on?

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/07/31/preview-program-wave-3.aspx

Major Nelson said:
Preview Program Wave 3 as begun (and an update for 1st an 2nd wave)

The great thing about our Xbox LIVE previews is the people who participate in them - you. Thanks for all your feedback. Based on your suggestions, today we'll be sending out a fix to some of the items you pointed out in the first and second waves of the preview. The third wave of the preview starts today. You'll be seeing a prompt for another update this afternoon . Keep the feedback coming Not in it yet ? What are you waiting for? Sign up now.

desa

Latest update slowed my friends avatar display. Took a while to load all the avatars. Only the silhouettes of the avatars were shown instantly.

Foxix Von

TheSeks said:
I don't want to auto-boot. Just like I don't want auto-boot on my PS3. I want the ability to not have ads shoved down my throat unless I'm in the marketplace (which I do check, which is why I don't need the ads).

I think my bitching is valid. Why isn't the "My X-box" tab the DEFAULT for the 360 dashboard? Anything else is moot.

I think you're bitching is incredibly valid. This is NOT a free service.

We pay a subscription fee and we should have the ability to voice our opinions on what we're getting. It's not like they're doing this out of the kindness of their heart, they're doing this because we're paying them and we should expect something in return for our cash.

Hell, I'll go as far as to say it's wrong that we even see advertisements since we're already paying them for access to XBL.

Edit: The second update, well it sort of updated twice it was weird. It rebooted, and then got to the intro, dl'ed another update then went directly to the dash.

And it's slower now =/ almost to where it was pre-update. And I would love to be able to rate games directly from the achievement screen in my profile screen. It's stupid that I have to scroll all the way through the marketplace to rate one game I can find with a quick flick of the bumper in my recent achievement list.

VQ

feel

Foxix said:

We pay a subscription fee and we should have the ability to voice our opinions on what we're getting. It's not like they're doing this out of the kindness of their heart, they're doing this because we're paying them and we should expect something in return for our cash.

Hell, I'll go as far as to say it's wrong that we even see advertisements since we're already paying them for access to XBL.

VQ
Xbl is free. The subscription we pay is just for the right to play online and some occasional perks.

SpacLock

Foxix said:

Edit: The second update, well it sort of updated twice it was weird. It rebooted, and then got to the intro, dl'ed another update then went directly to the dash.

And it's slower now =/ almost to where it was pre-update.

VQ

Maybe they should only let Silver members get the ads with limited online gaming time a week. No reason for us Golds to see them. I thought we were paying so they didn't need ads to support it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Rhindle said:
There's definitely a change. It looks like it may be pre-caching the main menus or something like that. The top-level menus appear instantly, but if you branch down it's still slow.

Top level stuff has always been fast for me. Its the other stuff that has always been slow and is still slow. I guess that's why it doesn't feel like an update to me.

Sean

Banned
For those that haven't gotten in I just recorded a quick ~45 sec video showing the speed improvements. Specifically the Marketplace (the buy/get trial links took ages to load in before this update) and viewing your Games Library section (I have 59 games on my HDD which is probably more than average). Those were the two slowest areas of NXE before and both are nearly instant now.

vid: http://b2.s3.p.quickshareit.com/files/360_dashboard_speed_aug09update6973e.m4v

MotherFan

SpacLock said:
Maybe they should only let Silver members get the ads with limited online gaming time a week. No reason for us Golds to see them. I thought we were paying so they didn't need ads to support it.

Idea I get is that we pay to keep it the best online console service. Even with ads it is much better than the online on the other two consoles.

There are alot of services where you pay and still get ads. Movies anymore, cable/satellite tv is paid for yet we still see intrusive commercials. All in all I really like live and it does not annoy me to press up when i sign in. If they had ads i had to sit through, or if i had to go through lots of tabs, or there were invasive ads I would be pretty pissed.

Persona7

Banned
Am I the only one not noticing the speed increase? The marketplace seems a little bit faster but not much.

Games list still takes at least a minute to load.

Also, I just got a second system update awhile ago?

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
Booting and coming in and out of games still makes game enumeration a while to do (about 30 seconds or more), I wish that could have been cached.

edit: finally got an e-mail too, but no connect update... strange

Came in from the bar, booted up the box and got an update! The netflix shit is awesome now, as well as the speed when you hit the guide button!
The Avatar store was good for some laughs, but I seriously doubt I'll ever buy a damn thing from it...

xbhaskarx

Sean said:
Nah this was a second update. The version info went from 2.0.8495.0 to 2.0.8496.0 so it's new. No idea what it fixes.

I just got the second update, do we know what it fixes yet? Maybe the problems some people were having with Netflix?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
a Master Ninja said:
Protip if you have a Jasper:
Dashboard on the 256Mb internal memory = fast
Gamertag Profile also on the 256Mb internal memory = lightspeed

Is the NXE automatically in the internal 256MB storage for a Jasper?

And should I just make a copy of my gamertag profile and move it into the 256MB and just delete the duplicate that's in the HDD?

[I have a Jasper]

Domino Theory said:
Is the NXE automatically in the internal 256MB storage for a Jasper?
It should. I don't believe it shows up as a file, but you should notice around 128MB is gone. If it's not somehow, remove your HDD and connect to Live.
Domino Theory said:
And should I just make a copy of my gamertag profile and move it into the 256MB and just delete the duplicate that's in the HDD?
Just select the profile on your HDD, then chose "move", then the internal memory. Data on your profile, things like achievement icons, should now load instantly.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Did they lower the points needed to change your Gamertag? I thought it used to be 1200 and it's 800. I could be wrong though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
what the hell, I turned on my 360 just now and it asked me to update again, even though I already installed the new update. I also received a second confirmation e-mail.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
omg rite said:
Oh.

Well, fuck me!

Turn around.

Edit: @MasterNinja: Nah, it says I have 205MB free on the 256 internal memory even though I know that NXE was already in the console when I purchased the Jasper.

But dude, HOLY FUCKING SHIT @ moving the gamertag to the 256MB. I can't believe how fucking beneficial it is. Everything on my dashboard, loading achievements, messages, the guide just shot up like a fucking lightening bolt, Jesus H.

Everybody who has a Jasper should do this ASAP.

Nemesis_

The dashboard does run awesomely, but in terms of actual new features I am a little disappointed.

Still, fash dash is all I've ever wanted, and not only does everything load fast but the way achievements are viewed is a step up too. Kinda impressed, kinda left wanting more.

so that's why i got the 2nd email.

i haven't updated yet (i don't think at least, i was updating GTA:SA earlier i thought) but my friend that did the second update said it felt even faster than the original.

dash is fast as hell right now though.

Well I fucked up. I put in the serial number thats on the back of the console instead of the number thats in the system info on the dashboard. Damn and I cant re-enter the info or use another Connect ID.

Nemesis_

Revelations said:
Well I fucked up. I put in the serial number thats on the back of the console instead of the number thats in the system info on the dashboard. Damn and I cant re-enter the info or use another Connect ID.

They're both the same? >_>

Cipher

I just noticed something on the friends list. If you have a friend watching Netflix on your friends list the Netflix boxart is showing, but if you move to them it shows the boxart of the movie they are watching. I don't remember seeing that in the original update but then again they could have had the privacy settings on.

xbhaskarx

Cipher said:
I just noticed something on the friends list. If you have a friend watching Netflix on your friends list the Netflix boxart is showing, but if you move to them it shows the boxart of the movie they are watching. I don't remember seeing that in the original update but then again they could have had the privacy settings on.

Whoa, really? That's awesome.

xbhaskarx

^ Yeah I just checked, it's true. If you have the privacy set so others can see what you're watching, your friends will see not only the name of the movie but also the box art in their Friends list.

Wait so you can watch a movie without adding it to your Instant Queue now, just by browsing and selecting Play? Cool, because my queue is almost full. :lol

wait, you can have a full queue? i have 235 movies in my instant queue alone.

and im digging the being able to see what others are watching. i was always curious prior netflix being on xbox what movie people were watching when it said "watching a dvd"

xbhaskarx

SPACECADET said:
wait, you can have a full queue? i have 235 movies in my instant queue alone.

The limit is 500 for the regular queue, and 500 for the instant queue. I found that out when my regular queue hit 500 over three years ago. :lol Now I go through and delete a few movies every time I add something.
My instant queue isn't full, but it's over 400 and I'm sure it has the same 500 limit.

Just checked it out tonight and it's a little faster than before but there are still lengthy delays in the dashboard. I didn't notice anything different besides being able to rate games.

ZeoVGM

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Just checked it out tonight and it's a little faster than before but there are still lengthy delays in the dashboard. I didn't notice anything different besides being able to rate games.

That's why you read the list of additions. :p

Majora

I'm surprised some people aren't finding the update any faster. By far the biggest improvement for me is the guide. It hasn't once hung on me for 30 seconds in the middle of a game like it used to. It's worth it for that alone. Also the marketplace, while not instant for me (may be dependent on connection speed) is also so much faster. And the friends list on the dash is much improved as well, it loads all the avatars and the theme details almost instantly.

Top Bottom