• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 dashboard update preview invites going out NOW. Who got in?

Raide

Majora said:
I'm surprised some people aren't finding the update any faster. By far the biggest improvement for me is the guide. It hasn't once hung on me for 30 seconds in the middle of a game like it used to. It's worth it for that alone. Also the marketplace, while not instant for me (may be dependent on connection speed) is also so much faster. And the friends list on the dash is much improved as well, it loads all the avatars and the theme details almost instantly.

The speed of the NXE is my favourite part of this update. I like the few tweaks for the Friends List, which also loads much quicker than before, but the overall speed of the Dash is lovely! :D

Cynar

Majora said:
I'm surprised some people aren't finding the update any faster. By far the biggest improvement for me is the guide. It hasn't once hung on me for 30 seconds in the middle of a game like it used to. It's worth it for that alone. Also the marketplace, while not instant for me (may be dependent on connection speed) is also so much faster. And the friends list on the dash is much improved as well, it loads all the avatars and the theme details almost instantly.

yeah same, it's so much faster now

Chi-Town

Signed up yesterday morning. Last night during 1 Vs 100 Extended Play, I get disconnected from Live saying something about needing a gold account and then it tells me I have a system update. Guess they just flipped the switch. No more hangs when I go into the guide from a game and it seems much faster to me as well.

So I now had a good dabble with the update and speed wise it feels the same to me, I not yet had to bring it up in the middle of a busy online game to check anything so that test will come later. To note I never use to get 30 second lock up's but it did take a few seconds to bring up my friends list now and again.

The star rating for games and dlc is great, I hope it works well when everyone get's to vote.

Avatar store, not going to bother with it until I can get my hands on cog or odst armour :D unlocking avatar items by ingame achievements is cool but we not seen any of that stuff yet.

I haven't used the update thoroughly yet, but one small thing I like is the streamlined achievements list for games. Clicking the guide button once when getting an achievement brings up a nice grid of icons with the title, value, and description above that all on one page. Nice.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Got it today... Microsot must be investing a lot in R&D to spend every ounce of the 360's power wisely. I am happy.

Brakara

Psychotext said:
I really, really hope you guys are right about the speed. I'm back up to over a minute to load my games list now (I'm not in the preview) and it's really starting to piss me off.

I have 47 XBLA games, and it takes approx. 20-25 seconds to load the games list (after returning to the dash from an XBLA game). It's about the same amount of time it takes to load the latest downloads list from the quick launch menu (in the guide).

Not sure how long time it used to take, but I don't feel it's that much faster now. The biggest speed increases are from using the friends list, achievements and marketplace.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Aha, I got an E-Mail last night (2am) to say that i was accepted into the beta, yey.

I just updated my console, and while it works quite well, I haven't had a chance to test it enough to make any impressions just yet.

Brakara

corrosivefrost said:
Was a little disturbed to be prompted to update again last night. That was weird. :|

Why? Obviosuly they'll fix things until the main release on August 11. Why have a preview program just for show?

Majora

Brakara said:
I have 47 XBLA games, and it takes approx. 20-25 seconds to load the games list (after returning to the dash from an XBLA game). It's about the same amount of time it takes to load the latest downloads list from the quick launch menu (in the guide).

Not sure how long time it used to take, but I don't feel it's that much faster now. The biggest speed increases are from using the friends list, achievements and marketplace.

What size hard drive do you have? I remember when we still had the old dash, I noticed my games list loaded so much faster when I upgraded to the 120gb drive. Right now I have about 38gb free after xbla and installed games and my games list loads really quickly, almost instantly in fact.

Brakara said:

Fuck. :(

Sean

Banned
Brakara said:

I don't think that's normal. I have 59 XBLA games and loading the games list is instant for me after this update. I even did a video showing it (link - might need QT or iTunes).

Though I have a 120GB hard drive so maybe what Majora said has something to do with it.

Sean said:
I don't think that's normal. I have 59 XBLA games and loading the games list is instant for me after this update. I even did a video showing it (link - might need QT or iTunes).

Though I have a 120GB hard drive so maybe what Majora said has something to do with it.

Yeah, I have a 120 too and it's a lot faster. There's some janky weirdness in spots, though, like I played FM2 last night and it doesn't show in my three Games Library display. But otherwise, I quite like the update. Sadly, I have NO games in the Full Achievement list. At least show me ones that are close, 360!

I have 27 arcade games and just checked how long it takes to load up, before now it would take several seconds, now it takes about 5 so it's faster, but not by much.

Fireflu

Sean said:

Wow that's a hell of a lot faster than mine, and im using a 120gb HD.

The thing i don't get is why all the items on the European (UK) marketplace take forever to load (like 30 secs an item) where as all the items on the American marketplace (American account) take less than a second to load?

I have never understood why this is, anyone have an answer out there!?

Brakara said:
Why? Obviosuly they'll fix things until the main release on August 11. Why have a preview program just for show?

ms communication, with me at least has been spotty. I didn't get my confirmation email until after the second update... I just would have preferred an email saying "we are patching your preview and the following has been updated/addressed". I just don't like the random updates that seemingly do nothing. :|

Majora

Fireflu said:
The thing i don't get is why all the items on the European (UK) marketplace take forever to load (like 30 secs an item) where as all the items on the American marketplace (American account) take less than a second to load?

I have never understood why this is, anyone have an answer out there!?

Is your main profile your UK one? Because I think one of the reasons might be that your main profile is a lot bigger and holds a lot more detail than your US one so there's a lot more it has to keep track of in the background such as Friends Lists etc.

For example if I check the sizes of my profiles on my hard drive, my main UK account takes up 11MB while my Japanese account takes up 228KB and my American account only takes up 204KB.

It shouldn't be taking 30 seconds to load up stuff on the marketplace though.

xbhaskarx

120 GB hard drive, I have ~100 XBLA games and they show up after like 1-2 seconds.
Before this update it would take over 20 seconds, so yeah it is considerably faster now.

Fireflu

Majora said:
Is your main profile your UK one? Because I think one of the reasons might be that your main profile is a lot bigger and holds a lot more detail than your US one so there's a lot more it has to keep track of in the background such as Friends Lists etc.

For example if I check the sizes of my profiles on my hard drive, my main UK account takes up 11MB while my Japanese account takes up 228KB and my American account only takes up 204KB.

It shouldn't be taking 30 seconds to load up stuff on the marketplace though.
Thanks for getting back, that actually makes sense, as my UK account is my main one and is much much larger than the other accounts.

tbh i rly dont know what the deal is with the extremely long wait (30 secs) on the UK account, my connection is fast (faster now that i have got a new router and provider), its like 15mb i think so speed isnt the issue.
I know my 360 isnt to blame either as ive made some speed tests on my friends 360's and its all the same (varying from 10-30 secs), veeeery odd.

I remember how fast the marketplace was on the old dashboard interface too.
Hmmmm... conundrum.

Majora

Fireflu said:
Thanks for getting back, that actually makes sense, as my UK account is my main one and is much much larger than the other accounts.

tbh i rly dont know what the deal is with the extremely long wait (30 secs) on the UK account, my connection is fast (faster now that i have got a new router and provider), its like 15mb i think so speed isnt the issue.
I know my 360 isnt to blame either as ive made some speed tests on my friends 360's and its all the same (varying from 10-30 secs), veeeery odd.

I remember how fast the marketplace was on the old dashboard interface too.
Hmmmm... conundrum.

I don't know what to suggest really. My connection is nowhere near as good as that (somewhere between 2-4MB) and I just tried a load of marketplace stuff and the longest it took for the buy/trial/download option to become active was about 5 seconds.

Maybe someone more technically minded could suggest a reason? Out of interest is your hard-drive close to being full or do you still have lots of space left on it?

sciplore

Got in during the second wave, dash does seems a lot faster except for the game list its about the same. I finally got a completed game for my achievement list :D. But I really want the awardables now. Looking at that bare list makes me sad. I am thinking of even getting ODST if I can get some armor for my avatar.

Brakara

Majora said:
What size hard drive do you have? I remember when we still had the old dash, I noticed my games list loaded so much faster when I upgraded to the 120gb drive. Right now I have about 38gb free after xbla and installed games and my games list loads really quickly, almost instantly in fact.

I have a 120GB HDD, with 41,2GB available. But, yeah, it was much faster when I got the drive (and a vast improvement from the 20GB). But it has, over time, become slower and slower.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sean said:

Yar, I have 93 games and its now instant, before I had to wait around 40~50 seconds for the option to pick all games to even show up..

I too am using the 120gig HDD though. so glad everything is instant now :D

Fireflu

Majora said:
I don't know what to suggest really. My connection is nowhere near as good as that (somewhere between 2-4MB) and I just tried a load of marketplace stuff and the longest it took for the buy/trial/download option to become active was about 5 seconds.

Maybe someone more technically minded could suggest a reason? Out of interest is your hard-drive close to being full or do you still have lots of space left on it?
Its gotta be a matter of space left on my HD, i mean i have a 120 gig with about 10 gigs left, most of that space is simply due to installed games.

If its not that i rly have no idea, could be anyones guess.

Regarding the games list speed. Are you guys testing it after you come out of a game XBLA / CG? That's where it takes the longest amount of time before you could click on community games etc (on the current dash at least).

Fireflu

Label said:
Yar, I have 93 games and its now instant, before I had to wait around 40~50 seconds for the option to pick all games to even show up..

I too am using the 120gig HDD though. so glad everything is instant now :D
Thats cool!

I hope when this update rolls round for the rest of us peasants this fixes some of my time lag issues, good to know.

Edit: Yeah Psycho has a point, that is when the time lag occurs, can someone confirm its after and not before game.

Lothars

Psychotext said:
Regarding the games list speed. Are you guys testing it after you come out of a game XBLA / CG? That's where it takes the longest amount of time before you could click on community games etc (on the current dash at least).

I find that sometimes it's either coming out of a game or when you just start up the 360 but other times it's really slow

I find with the dashboard update it's better but sometimes it's still really bad.

I signed up yesterday morning, no email, but got the update anyway. I really like the avatar store, but they really need to drop the prices, too much is just too much. And where are my movies etc? Or are they not available in Europe (Netherlands)?

Gowans

I used to use Netflix in the UK just fine, re-subscribed after getting the update to check it out again.

After all the hassle setting it up again I get it

312cwht.jpg

YES!!!!!!

Then This

1zecpbt.jpg

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have now added the IP check on the 360 app end, you can look but you can't touch.

MMaRsu

Banned
Goddamnit this is SO fucked. I totally forgot that I couldn't update and bring my HDD to my friends Xbox 360. He can't go online if I take my HDD over to his Xbox right?

I wanted to play Marvel on his xbox 360..

George said:
i installed the leaked update and i can connect to live just fine.

Really? So that would be mean I would be able to bring my HDD to my friend, install the update on his console ( this happens automatically right? ) and still have acces to my arcade games via Live? Please someone confirm that this is possible..

I really don't want to bring my Xbox 360 all the way over there..

Disclaimer
WARNING: Do NOT remove your hard drive and place it on another console!
This will cause non registered consoles to be unable to connect to Xbox LIVE until we release the update!

:\

I got the update, anyone else notice the Netflix is missing several genres including children and family? There is only like a few genres meaning if you want to find a famil friendly movie you still need the website.

xbhaskarx said:
Netflix. This is now officially "the Netflix update" imo, everything else is secondary.

I was jumping on my roommates account and she's inbetween jobs now so she canceled it and I haven't created my own account yet so I was unable to view it to test it out.

Alec

I installed the leaked update and it works just fine on LIVE.

However, Netflix is missing the added functionality. =(

Not sure if it's been reported over here, but some posters over at cheapassgamer are reporting that reinstalling certain games to the HDD now takes less space.

sony said:
I have the update so I decided to test it out on 6 games.

Forza 2 went from 5.3gb to 4.7gb (-11.32%)
NHL09 went from 5.7gb to 5.0gb (-12.28%)
COD4 went from 6.7gb to 6.5gb (-2.99%)
CODWaW went from 6.5 gb to 6.4gb (-1.54%)
Sacred 2 went from 6.5gb to 6.3gb (-3.08%)
Left 4 Dead went from 4gb to 3.7gb (-26.00%)

Total savings = 3.1gb

Overall, it seems like reinstalling your games is only worth it if you're near the brim in terms of free space. The total savings was only 8.68% for the six games I tested. So just extrapolating from this for 100gb I'd save 8.7gb with the new installation sizes netting me an additional game on my 120gb. Other than the huge gains on smaller games, it probably isn't worth it to reinstall everything.

edit: decided to test the only "small" (3.4-3.5gb install) game I have.. Earth Defense Force 2017 went from 3.4gb to 1.6gb

dumlaox said:
Some new game install sizes straight from the closed xbox.com forums:

Battlefield: Bad Company - 6.2GB
The Simpsons Game: 4.1GB
Tom Clancy's EndWar: 4.8GB
The Orange Box: 3.9GB
Burnout Paradise: 2.8 GB
Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts: 6.2GB
You're In the Movies: 4.7GB
Lips: 3.8 GB
Scene It! Box Office Smash: 5.0 GB
Trivial Pursuit: 1.5 GB
Kameo: 5.4GB
Amped 3: 6.0 GB
FIFA 09: 5.3GB
Fallout 3: 5.5GB
Mass Effect: 6.8GB

feel

Anyone else not finding any differences in the way you invite people to xbl parties? The update's feature list mentions it's now easier than ever to invite people to parties, but it seems completely the same as before, and that is pressing X on the desired friend, which in some situations doesn't even work.

enewtabie

Just did the title update and it messed up my wireless network. It updated fine and when it restarted it said it couldn't connect to the network. So I tried to connect again and nothing. Unplugged the modem and everything. I finally had to install the Linksys software again and my internet is back. I almost hate to try Live again now.:D

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I recently got a 360, making a new thread seemed a bit too much for a simple question which kinda relates too this

Im from euroland, if i make a USA/Japan account can i download demo's from there or is that region locked too?

Top Bottom