• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 dashboard update preview invites going out NOW. Who got in?

scarybore

Here are the differences I got with some of my installed games, all from the UK.

Code:
Resident Evil 5          6.8GB > 6.7GB
Gears of War             6.5GB > 6.3GB
Gears of War 2           6.7GB > 6.3GB
GTA 4                    6.8GB > 6.5GB
Fable 2                  6.8GB > 6.6GB
Halo Wars                6.2GB > 5.7GB
Soul Calibur 4           5.9GB > 4.3GB
Naruto Rise of A Ninja   5.3GB > 4.4GB

So down from 51GB to 46.8GB, a saving of 4.2GB.

Also tried out Virtua Fighter 5 and it was 3.4GB but I don't have the original size for that.

bigol

Deathcraze said:
Here are the differences I got with some of my installed games, all from the UK.

Code:

Also tried out Virtua Fighter 5 and it was 3.4GB but I don't have the original size for that.

Original size was 4.7 GB

xbhaskarx

Jesus this update keeps getting better and better, I can't wait to reinstall those games, especially Rock Band. And we're still getting Games on Demand. And then Facebook, Last.fm, and Twitter later this year. Microsoft are doing a great job with Live, and with 13 month cards often available for just $40, my tolerance for those who complain that Live should be free is at an all time low.

Deathcraze said:

Code:

4.7GB originally for VF5. NICE!

RedAssedApe

Banned
polskaolska said:
i didnt read thru the thread but does the update somehow decrease game install sizes?

Yes. You'll have to reinstall your games but for most games the install sizes have shrunk. No official word on what accounts for the discrepancy though.

Fistula

Banned
Size difference is probably redundant data on the disc to help it stream better, not needed from hard drive. It could also be things like alternate languages stripped based on system settings and maybe even good old compression.

makes you realize that DVD has more than enough room for current gen games, and streams faster from disc.

JKTrix

The tweaked gamercard
2e6gdpe.jpg

Old BlazBlue Install
10h22bo.jpg

New BlazBlue Install
1tr50x.jpg

vash429

Neo Member
Wizpig said:
You know how you can see the game covers of 3 of your last played games in "Game Library"?
Now it only displays XBLA games, i think, not retail/DVD games like before... or is it a bug?

:(
I noticed that too, it is stuck in three xbla games.

And another thing when I go to look at demos the dashboard lags.

JKTrix

I think *you* are fine. It's your friend who will have problems getting on live without your harddrive. So I'd just say take the whole Xbox to your friend if you reeeallly want to play it.

I'm checking The Last Remnant Disc 1 right now. Old install was 6.1 GB.

Edit: New Install: 5.9 GB.

quick question regarding the 120GB hdd for the 360 are they all the same speed? or are there some that are 5600 RPM and some that are 7200?

can someone better than me make a chart of before and after install sizes? and keep it updated? hopefully in a new thread? some games if they become small enough I might want to install just to have on HD, like EDF.

blackMamba1187 said:
Will i really get locked out of live until the 11th if i try and use my harddrive on a friend's 360? I want to bring mvsc2 over there.

Yes, your friend's console will be booted from Live until the 11th. At least, thats the official word.

Worse yet, it will have been for naught, since if they immediately block him from the service, you won't be able to sign into Live on his console and thus won't be able to play MvC2.

ExtraKr1spy said:
quick question regarding the 120GB hdd for the 360 are they all the same speed? or are there some that are 5600 RPM and some that are 7200?

I think they're all the same. 60gb drives might be a different speed, that I'm not sure of, but I think all of the MS drives are the same.

corrosivefrost said:
I think they're all the same. 60gb drives might be a different speed, that I'm not sure of, but I think all of the MS drives are the same.

K, Im about to pull the trigger on the 120 but damn its expensive. Went to 5 different gamestops to see if they have used ones that have the transfer cables but none have them.

Two things:

1) Does anyone know if Halo 3's multiplayer doesn't go apeshit now when the game is installed?

2) Have they gotten rid of that stupid restriction where you can only play an installed game on the console it was installed on?

ExtraKr1spy said:
K, Im about to pull the trigger on the 120 but damn its expensive. Went to 5 different gamestops to see if they have used ones that have the transfer cables but none have them.

You can request a transfer cable from Microsoft. I found this somewhere online... I never bothered, but I'm pretty sure this works:
Step 1: Call the following number
US: 1-800-4MY-XBOX (1-800-469-9269)
UK: 0-800-587-1102

Step 2: Say: Accessories, Xbox 360, None of Those.

Step 3: Give him your REAL information!

Step 4: When a person gets on the line say you got a 120Gb Hard Drive as a gift and you need an "Xbox 360™ Hard Drive Transfer Cable".

Step 5: Give them all the information they require.

Step 6: They will ship you your Cable within 1-2 weeks for free shipping and all.

Also, I think there's a thread here on GAF where you can get someone to lend you a cable... so save the money if you can. :)

AnEternalEnigma said:
Two things:

1) Does anyone know if Halo 3's multiplayer doesn't go apeshit now when the game is installed?

2) Have they gotten rid of that stupid restriction where you can only play an installed game on the console it was installed on?[/

not getting what you are saying....

RedAssedApe

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Two things:

2) Have they gotten rid of that stupid restriction where you can only play an installed game on the console it was installed on?

Didn't bungie tell everyone not to install Halo 3 onto their HD?

corrosivefrost said:
You can request a transfer cable from Microsoft. I found this somewhere online... I never bothered, but I'm pretty sure this works:

Also, I think there's a thread here on GAF where you can get someone to lend you a cable... so save the money if you can. :)

tried contacting them and they asked for an elite serial # then i told them I got the HDD used (lying since I dont have the 120 yet) and they said they couldnt help me out, I even offered to buy a transfer kit from them and person just said to buy a memory unit which I'm also thinking about doing since a used MU and 120 will still be cheaper thean a new 120

Halo 3 streams a lot off the dvd as well as cache action from the hdd, so doing both at the same time on an installed halo 3 makes it twice as slow, so no not worth it.

I don't think that restriction for installed games will go away, it's a different thing then buying it over live and having your online profile call the actions, even then taking the hdd somewhere else on another machine will still need you to go online otherwise it will not work (be a trial for arcade games)

vg260

I would assume the HD installs are smaller because they are no longer installing dummy files. The movies aren't playing off the disc for any of these are they? (i.e. the disc still doesn't spin up at all during play)

Magik

Scottlarock said:

Basically, if a game is installed on Console A but you try to play it on Console B, by moving the HD, Console B won't be able to play game from HD.

henhowc said:
Didn't bungie tell everyone not to install Halo 3 onto their HD?

Ayup.

Scottlarock said:

I think, in NXE, if you install a game on a HDD while it's attached to console a, then switch the HDD to console b, the game won't play from the install on console b He want's to know if that restriction was lifted.

Scottlarock said:
can someone better than me make a chart of before and after install sizes? and keep it updated? hopefully in a new thread? some games if they become small enough I might want to install just to have on HD, like EDF.
come on junior members, make a name for yourself! you could be the next shard! whos done a awesome job with xbla game updates!

Scottlarock said:

If you install a game on your hard drive, you cannot play the game off the hard drive when you attach it to another console. An error will pop up, informing you that you can only play the game on the console it was installed on.

It's an incredibly stupid restriction considering you still need the goddamn disc to play the game.

Cant0na

Banned
Red faction was 6.5..........now its 6.4 :lol oh well every mb counts

Also gave everything related to COD WAW (themes, maps) a 1 star. JOIN ME !!!! IT FEELS GOOD

toff74

well!!!

im still not in.

Registered day 1 and was in on the previous one. When i test my xbox live connection everything is cool apart from when i press 'Y' for status i get:

Error status report:

w:0000-000b
x:0000-F001
Y:20A8-4840
Z:0000-0000
ID:FFFF-FFFF

what does this mean???

my xbox is out of warrenty period and i'm wondering if thats anyrhing to do with it also.

Feel as if i'm missing out here!!! lol

Can someone check if Ace Combat 5's install size has changed? I have a shitty old HDD with a max install space of 5.9GB-- want to see if I can play it :lol

AnEternalEnigma said:
If you install a game on your hard drive, you cannot play the game off the hard drive when you attach it to another console. An error will pop up, informing you that you can only play the game on the console it was installed on.

It's an incredibly stupid restriction considering you still need the goddamn disc to play the game.
yep that is stupid. MS needs to fix that. I'm sure its becuase of piracy, but if you have the disc, come on... unless a pirated disc would also work......

Top Bottom