• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 dashboard update preview invites going out NOW. Who got in?

xemumanic

corrosivefrost said:
edit: decided to test the only "small" (3.4-3.5gb install) game I have.. Earth Defense Force 2017 went from 3.4gb to 1.6gb

I wonder how a small game like Raiden Fighters Aces takes up. I'll give it a test now. I never installed it before, so can someone gimme a quote on how much it took before this update?

EDIT: it took 484 MB. I'm not sure, but I think I remember hearing someone say the game took up the minimum 3-something GB of space on the disc. Don't hold me to this, but sub-500MB is pretty nice.

Kibbles

corrosivefrost said:
Not sure if it's been reported over here, but some posters over at cheapassgamer are reporting that reinstalling certain games to the HDD now takes less space.
Hmm, I wonder why this is? :S One thing I liked is that you could have a near broken disc and it would still work if you had it installed on your HDD. If it's trying to read content off the disc that's lame.

Cipher

jhferry said:
I got the update, anyone else notice the Netflix is missing several genres including children and family? There is only like a few genres meaning if you want to find a famil friendly movie you still need the website.

Really? I'm pretty sure I had that genre on there as one of the lists. It might change based on your ratings and or interests.

enewtabie

Hey Netflix Experts
How do you change the categories that appear? It has Romance and Drama up there for some reason. I'm playing around with it now. I tried it when I first got the NXE update,but stopped because my internet connection was terrible. Now at 25mb/s,it works great.:D

The improved install sizes sound good with games on demand coming in just a few weeks time, especially games like EDF being half the install size now, my 20 gig can breave again.

xbhaskarx

I just wanted to inform everyone here that Seasons 1-4 of LOST are now available on Netflix Instant Watch. All the episodes are present and in HD!

xemumanic

Diablohead said:
The improved install sizes sound good with games on demand coming in just a few weeks time, especially games like EDF being half the install size now, my 20 gig can breave again.

Ahh, I wonder if this is related. I suspect the added size is from junk data from the authoring method, and to get these games to be as small as they can for downloading, researching that may have helped to similarly improve the installs.

Banned
enewtabie said:
Hey Netflix Experts
How do you change the categories that appear? It has Romance and Drama up there for some reason. I'm playing around with it now. I tried it when I first got the NXE update,but stopped because my internet connection was terrible. Now at 25mb/s,it works great.:D

Categories I have listed:

New Arrivals: Movies
New Arrivals: TV
Recently Watched
Party
Instant Queue
Action Comedies
Foreign Documentaries WTF?
Action & Adventure
Thrillers
Sci-Fi & Fantasy
Horror

Anybody have different categories listed?

Since I brought the Gears 2 map pack the other day I had the game installed to keep things quiet while fragging at 1am, it was installed at 6.7gig so I just done a fresh install with the new update applied, 6.3gig.

400meg saving, helps when I only had 700mb spare after downloading MvC2.

Smokey

xbhaskarx said:
I just wanted to inform everyone here that Seasons 1-4 of LOST are now available on Netflix Instant Watch. All the episodes are present and in HD!

Cool. I just signed up for Netflix a few days ago, and Lost seasons were in my que. Is there a way to see what's newly added to the Instant Watch, or did you just happen to stumble upon it?

xbhaskarx

Karma said:

Instant Queue
Party
Recently Watched
Drama
Thrillers
Action & Adventure
Independent
Classics
Sci-Fi & Fantasy
Comedy
Movies You'll Love
Foreign Comedies
Like " " (movie I watched recently)
Like " "
Like " "

I watch a lot of movies on Netflix so that's probably why I have so many categories. But I don't have Romance or Foreign Documentaries, probably because I haven't watched any of those in the past.
To the guy who wants Children and Family categories to appear, try watching movies that fall under those categories and maybe they'll show up.

Cipher

Karma said:

Recently Watched
Party
Instant Queue
Action Comedies
Action & Adventure
Thrillers
Sci-Fi & Fantasy
Horror

Currently:

Instant Queue
Party
Recently Watched
Horror
Television
Sci-Fi & Fantasy
Anime & Animation

The list has changed because yesterday I had a list of stuff "Like Californication season 1."

xbhaskarx

Instant Queue
Party
Recently Watched

So those are the five standard options and everything else is based on your movie viewing history.

Psychotext said:
That install size thing is really strange.

One theory is that some games might have random padding and other such things that can be stripped out because it's not necessary... another could be that MS is trying out some sort of compression on it... that would make sense in regards to their retail game download service... more space = more XBLA or retail downloads you can make.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Tiduz said:
Im from euroland, if i make a USA/Japan account can i download demo's from there or is that region locked too?
They are not region locked, but be aware demos less than 7 days old require a gold account.

Wizpig

You know how you can see the game covers of 3 of your last played games in "Game Library"?
Now it only displays XBLA games, i think, not retail/DVD games like before... or is it a bug?

:(

Just reinstalled Mass Effect and Fable 2 (two games I happened to have installed pre-update). Mass Effects install size remained unchanged, but Fable 2 had a 200MB difference.

Hmmm

NekoFever

That's interesting that the sizes are different. I have a few games installed (120GB drive) so I might delete them all and reinstall them as I get to them.

I tried Ghostbusters as that was in my drive and it went from 6.5GB to 6.2GB.

Must be stripping out padding, or maybe ignoring some redundant data. Either way, it's welcome.

I like the option to clear cache on your HD by just pressing Y. Netflix update is probably the best, downside is my wife will be on the 360 all the times watching movies.

I also notice little added icons here and there on the dash, like disc icon or HD icon to show where your game is. Dash is faster overall but there's still some small hic-up especially in My Game Library section.

hoos30

Karma said:

Recently Watched
Party
Instant Queue
Action Comedies
Action & Adventure
Thrillers
Sci-Fi & Fantasy
Horror

In addition to the standard categories. I have "War & Military" listed, which is cool because I have been watching a lot of those movies, but I wish they would just let us browse the damn catalog.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Blimblim said:
They are not region locked, but be aware demos less than 7 days old require a gold account.

Thanks, guess ill have to make new ones, old ones on memcard from my bro's 360 didnt work, gave me a weird error when trying to dl stuff (even old stuff)

Ok, so I decided to try some of the games I had installed to see what I could run with (especially after Diablohead told us about Gears 2 dropping 400mb)...

Here's what I got:

Gears 2: 6.7gb -> 6.3gb
Rock Band 2: 6.3gb -> 4.6gb (Hot Zombie Jesus! That's almost 2gb savings!)
Burnout Paradise 3.4gb -> 2.8gb

Jumper09

Banned
In the Xbox forums someone said Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 4.9GB.

And i installed Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and i got 6.4GB

Different HDD,different size?

I have a 120GB HDD

Lothars

Jumper09 said:
In the Xbox forums someone said Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 4.9GB.

And i installed Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and i got 6.4GB

Different HDD,different size?

I have a 120GB HDD

It shouldn't matter, the install size should be the same for everyone.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Majora said:
I'm surprised some people aren't finding the update any faster. By far the biggest improvement for me is the guide. It hasn't once hung on me for 30 seconds in the middle of a game like it used to. It's worth it for that alone. Also the marketplace, while not instant for me (may be dependent on connection speed) is also so much faster. And the friends list on the dash is much improved as well, it loads all the avatars and the theme details almost instantly.

The guide/mini blades are still the slowest part to load for me. But I don't think I've had the same speed issues or maybe I just didn't notice them before.

DuckRacer

Diablohead said:
On that thought how big is the PSN download for paraside?
3.24GB

Also, I reinstalled Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and the file size shrunk from 6.6GB to 6.4.

edit: holy shit, Rock Band 2 went from 6.3GB to 4.2GB.

blah141

Disclaimer
WARNING: Do NOT remove your hard drive and place it on another console!
This will cause non registered consoles to be unable to connect to Xbox LIVE until we release the update!

so i cant place my HDD in my friends xbox360 even if we never connect that one to live?

Lothars

blah141 said:
so i cant place my HDD in my friends xbox360 even if we never connect that one to live?

You can and it will update with the new dashboard but if he did try to connect it to live than supposedly it's not suppose to connect.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Archie said:
Has anyone reinstalled Street Fighter 4 to see how much it has been trimmed?

After reinstall SF4 is down to 4.6GB. I think it was 5GB or 5.3GB before...I probably should have written it down. :lol

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Gowans007 said:
I used to use Netflix in the UK just fine, re-subscribed after getting the update to check it out again.

After all the hassle setting it up again I get it

http://i30.tinypic.com/312cwht.jpg[/IG]

[B]YES!!!!!![/B]

Then This

[IMG]http://i28.tinypic.com/1zecpbt.jpg[/IG]

[B]NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/B]

They have now added the IP check on the 360 app end, you can look but you can't touch.[/QUOTE]
:lol I got the same yesterday, made me so sad.

But as xbhaskarx kindly pointed out to me if you use a VPN you can get past that and use it like normal again, works fantastic!! :D

I use [URL="www.witopia.net"]Witopia[/URL]. I just wish I could use it on my UK account so I can show off what I am watching. :lol

Top Bottom