• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 dashboard update preview invites going out NOW. Who got in?

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Psychotext said:
How many games do you have on there?

I might try clearing the cache just in case it stores things differently after the update.

93 at the moment, I cleared the cache right after the update also. Not sure if that made a difference or not though.

a Master Ninja said:
Protip if you have a Jasper:
Dashboard on the 256Mb internal memory = fast
Gamertag Profile also on the 256Mb internal memory = lightspeed

Been busy with Work so extremely late to this thread. I just picked up a "Jasper" about a month ago. so I need to copy my profile onto the system memory and I'll see a speed performance?! Wow, I had no idea, nor did this even cross my mind. Thanks for the heads up.

a Master Ninja said:
It should. I don't believe it shows up as a file, but you should notice around 128MB is gone. If it's not somehow, remove your HDD and connect to Live.

Just select the profile on your HDD, then chose "move", then the internal memory. Data on your profile, things like achievement icons, should now load instantly.

Again, thanks for the tip.

Domino Theory said:
Turn around.

Edit: @MasterNinja: Nah, it says I have 205MB free on the 256 internal memory even though I know that NXE was already in the console when I purchased the Jasper.

But dude, HOLY FUCKING SHIT @ moving the gamertag to the 256MB. I can't believe how fucking beneficial it is. Everything on my dashboard, loading achievements, messages, the guide just shot up like a fucking lightening bolt, Jesus H.

Everybody who has a Jasper should do this ASAP.

Again, thanks for the info. Now I can't wait to get home and do this!

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Psychotext said:
Pretty similar amount to me then... and you're talking about the time it takes to load after leaving a game right?

:mad:

/kicks 360

I am sure am, let me fire it up again real quick.

edit: Before the update took around 40~ seconds

Now it takes 9 seconds to load everything up fully, after leaving a game.

corrosivefrost said:
Ok, so I decided to try some of the games I had installed to see what I could run with (especially after Diablohead told us about Gears 2 dropping 400mb)...

Here's what I got:

Gears 2: 6.7gb -> 6.3gb
Rock Band 2: 6.3gb -> 4.6gb (Hot Zombie Jesus! That's almost 2gb savings!)
Burnout Paradise 3.4gb -> 2.8gb

I thought that there was no benefit to installing Burnout Paradise? i thought it was one of the game that was optimized for data streaming like Halo 3 (i.e. no improvements to load time). Correct me if I'm wrong. If I am then I'm installing this ASAP!

Apharmd Battler said:
I thought that there was no benefit to installing Burnout Paradise? i thought it was one of the game that was optimized for data streaming like Halo 3 (i.e. no improvements to load time). Correct me if I'm wrong. If I am then I'm installing this ASAP!

Dunno if this goes for others but when I installed my Burnout Paradise on the old NXE it kept freezing the game in the middle of races. I had to uninstall it to get it to work properly.

Label said:
I am sure am, let me fire it up again real quick.

edit: Before the update took around 40~ seconds

Now it takes 9 seconds to load everything up fully, after leaving a game.
Thanks for checking.

Also... :(

MMaRsu

Banned
Apharmd Battler said:

Well they have to improve it seeing as it's probably going to be a Games on Demand item.

Psychotext said:
How many games do you have on there?

I might try clearing the cache just in case it stores things differently after the update.
If you have a disc in the tray, your 360 will access that and read that for quite some time before the list of games can come up.

EDIT: Hm, it only does that sometimes it seems... Weird.

Gwanatu T

Apharmd Battler said:

Personally I install everything so that there's no extra heat being dissipated from the system to give me my 5th RROD. Considering I've got no warranty left now, I'd prefer to do everything I can to prevent this, however letting it die and getting a Jasper to install the gamertag to the internal 256mb is very tempting.

AndyMoogle said:
If you have a disc in the tray, your 360 will access that and read that for quite some time before the list of games can come up.

EDIT: Hm, it only does that sometimes it seems... Weird.
I shall try that next.

DuckRacer

Apharmd Battler said:
There's almost no difference regarding load times, but installing the game makes the system run quieter (no disc drive running).

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/08/04/360-dashboard-update-microsofts-reasons-for-netflix-lite/

Specifically regarding the reasons for limiting Netflix on Xbox Live browsing functionality, it seems like it was a decision of form over function:

"When we looked at Netflix...we thought about that experience when you go to a video rental store and you see this amazing visual display of movie jackets. We wanted to bring that experience from the physical world and into the entertainment experience. Maybe bring it a little bit away from that functional world where you have alphabetization, that type of thing."

The question is what people are looking for when they come to the Xbox to watch something. Smith had some thoughts on the matter:

"I think when people come to Xbox they're not really looking so much for functional, they really want to have fun, they want to be wowed."

But he didn't rule out the possibility for browsing updates in the future:

"If we find out that people really think it's hard and they really want to find all movies that begin with "B" or something like that, we'll definitely go down that path. With Marketplace we did that…there was kind of a compromise."

And in case you're wondering about a Netflix conspiracy, holding back the Xbox 360 version so as not to discourage people from going to the Netflix site, Smith is quick to deny anything unseemly:

"[Netflix] wants to have an amazing experience on Xbox, just like we do. There isn't any of that higher-level business strategy that's getting in the way of that experience."

So there you have it. If people make a big enough stink we might see a more full-featured browsing experience on Netflix for 360, but until then it's still a pretty major improvement from what we've been working with since NXE launched.​

What a stupid idea!!! It's freaking digital content not B&M store. Even in store movies are organized by genre/by names.

xbhaskarx

That makes no sense whatsoever. They definitely need to add the options to find all movies that begin with a certain letter and to search through movies by genre.

Baker

Banned
It was neat sending messages in-game last night and the guide not freezing for 15 seconds every time.

It did make me realize they still didn't add a qwerty layout option to the keyboard which pissed me off yet again. :lol

MCD

Baker said:
It was neat sending messages in-game last night and the guide not freezing for 15 seconds every time.

It did make me realize they still didn't add a qwerty layout option to the keyboard which pissed me off yet again. :lol
pretty sure they did.

check language options.

Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise is available from Games on Demand, unless that's old, in which case it's still available. 4.94GB. 349SEK. The thing is barely available in stores so I guess the price is decent enough. For games like Crackdown, Assassin's Creed etc. it would be ludicrous though. Don't know how it will translate to other regions. I'm assuming it'll be more expensive in Europe for no reason as usual.

toff74

JUst got the update... played around a little.

Suddenly got loads of graphics trash.. reset the machine.. E74 error. Nice!!!!

Coinsidence. Maybe>!

Its one of the early elites too.

Willeth

Baker said:

Yeah, they added that when NXE launched in November.

MMaRsu

Banned
VibratingDonkey said:
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise is available from Games on Demand, unless that's old, in which case it's still available. 4.94GB. 349SEK. The thing is barely available in stores so I guess the price is decent enough. For games like Crackdown, Assassin's Creed etc. it would be ludicrous though. Don't know how it will translate to other regions. I'm assuming it'll be more expensive in Europe for no reason as usual.

Not available here.. Europe, Netherlands.

If it'll be 20 euro's that's fucking expensive.

Not even listen on the online Marketplace..

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d53085f/

soco

Psychotext said:
Bollocks, it's made very little meaningful difference to my games list delay. Prior to the update it was about 45 seconds, now it's about 30 seconds. Better... but still no-where near good enough. :(

do/have you download(ed) a lot of stuff and then delete(d) it? say demos?

if yes, and you have the time. try deleting a lot of stuff, and then going back and redownloading it. it's best to delete everything first, and then block redownload.

MMaRsu

Banned
cjelly said:
It's the RRP of Platinum Hits/Classics.

Not cheap, but the expected price.

It's DD. Titles SHOULD be cheaper than retail. In this case it's more expensive even. Which will probably be the same thing with most DD titles here, which will generate poor sales.

MS just doesn't get it, they didn't get it with the Xbox Originals either.

cjelly said:
It's the RRP of Platinum Hits/Classics.

Not cheap, but the expected price.

Hrm. I'd've bitten at $20 but I just bought Mirror's Edge for $20 new yesterday. :(

(Note, I will give in at one point, most likely late at night, thus the insidious nature of Games On Demand is revealed.)

scarybore

Should be closer to £15 rather than £20. The only Xbox Original title I bought was Halo when it was selling for half price, I think I'll need a similar sale if they expect me to use the service.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
MMaRsu said:
It's DD. Titles SHOULD be cheaper than retail. In this case it's more expensive even. Which will probably be the same thing with most DD titles here, which will generate poor sales.

MS just doesn't get it, they didn't get it with the Xbox Originals either.
Nobody 'gets' DD, which is why I - like many others - are weary of it.

Steam, Direct2Drive etc etc are all massively over-priced compared to retail BUT, in their defence, they are priced at the RRP. It's just we're so used to paying so much lower that they seem very expensive.

It's also why I'm not keen on the Go; you can bet your life all the games will be RRP, but will be half that price at retail.

The advantage something like Games On Demand has, is that you have the choice. It's there for your convenience (at a price!), or you can just buy the discs at retail as normal.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I am assuming that £19.99 is the standard price, and I shall buy Marvel Ultimate Alliance the day it is released, as you can not really buy it that cheap here anyhoo! :D

MMaRsu

Banned
cjelly said:
Nobody 'gets' DD, which is why I - like many others - are weary of it.

Steam, Direct2Drive etc etc are all massively over-priced compared to retail BUT, in their defence, they are priced at the RRP. It's just we're so used to paying so much lower that they seem very expensive.

It's also why I'm not keen on the Go; you can bet your life all the games will be RRP, but will be half that price at retail.

The advantage something like Games On Demand has, is that you have the choice. It's there for your convenience (at a price!), or you can just buy the discs at retail as normal.

This is certainly true :).

joaomgcd

Viva Pinata is listed as free if you select to pay with MS Points... But then there's an error when you confirm your "purchase"...:lol Would be nice to get it for free.

MMaRsu

Banned
joaomgcd said:
Viva Pinata is listed as free if you select to pay with MS Points... But then there's an error when you confirm your "purchase"...:lol Would be nice to get it for free.

Yeah I know I've tried like 20 times but too bad no dice :(

Brakara

Edit: nvm, have to learn to read. :)

Anyway, it's definitely retail prices (300NOK here), which means the currency rate is 10:1 instead of the usual (MS Points rate of) 6.3:1. :(

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Paranoid question, but is the site legit. Kind of odd URL for an official Xbox site.

KAOS

Pretty happy about the update although it still takes some time to load up my game library after I finish playing a game and the avatar market place freezes up on me. I went from six installed games to 8 for about the same memory I had before.

Top Bottom