• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 Conference 6/11 2pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFury

and negative press and word of mouth
$499 is more negative press and word of mouth

the price itself is no problem. just what comes with the price
Ahh I see what you mean. I can agree with that. Yeah they're in a tough spot for sure. But let's me honest MS has to take a huge 100 dollar hit per console at 399 (if DF breakdown is to be believed), no way in hell they take that hit.

blakep267

IS everything going to fall apart before the finish line. There were zero leaks for so long now in a matter of a few hours we get Ori 2, Forza 7 & the price. Now granted those were all obvious but I hope the floodgates don't open

RedFury

IS everything going to fall apart before the finish line. There were zero leaks for so long now in a matter of a few hours we get Ori 2, Forza 7 & the price. Now granted those were all obvious but I hope the floodgates don't open
Practice run before the show, people saw it. So yes stay vigilant if you want to be surprised.

Keinning

$499, yep i'm out, see you in two years scorpio

now all i want to see in the conference is Cuphead and some indies. screw power.

It probably will

Just the way things are now

There's still no UHD Blu-Ray drive on the Pro. And MS will be talking up how the Scorpio will do true 4K.

Sure, scorpio is better on all accounts when it comes to hardware, but perception and bang for buck are important factors.

A $400 would get everyone to talk how crazy it is for Ms to deliver such an impressive console for that price. A $500 price tag will get them saying, sure it's better. It costs more.

Montresor

It absolutely has to be $499 now, based off Geoff's tweet. If it's not $499 then his twitter should be banned from GAF. You don't say "Yep it's $499, I'm confident about it, unless things change" and then keep your credibility if it's not $499.

GHG

Sure, scorpio is better on all accounts when it comes to hardware, but perception and bang for buck are important factors.

A $400 would get everyone to talk how crazy it is for Ms to deliver such an impressive console for that price. A $500 price tag will get them saying, sure it's better. It costs more.

At 400 it's then in a territory where it could cost them money per unit sold. I'm not sure they want to do that anymore.

kevin1025

Banned
He has protection in his tweet..."Unless something changes today, that is what will be announced".

True. We'll find out soon, but I'll believe him for the time being. The bait and switch price talk just sounds far-fetched when they and he are gambling his reliability at that point.

shanew21

Geoff is the WSJ of video games.

If he leaks something, the company probably wanted it to leak.

Correct, although time will tell as to whether it was a leak to lessen the blow or a leak to surprise everybody.

If the price is $499, blame MS execs.I guarantee you Phil doesn't want to have to announce a $499 price again.

Keinning

At 400 it's then in a territory where it could cost them money per unit sold. I'm not sure they want to do that anymore.

You know what is going to cost them even more money

Not selling consoles because they're too expensive and sony dropped the pro by $50

RedFury

$499, yep i'm out, see you in two years scorpio

now all i want to see in the conference is Cuphead and some indies. screw power.
New gen in 2 years imo. This is exactly why I think they are in a bad spot at the price. People will wait for price drop then New gen gets announced. More power and at a lower price point. I don't see console hitting 499 anymore in the future (well besides MS). For all of you who said you would pay X more for a beefier version of X console now's your chance to put your money where your mouth is. This will be the last we see of 500 dollar priced home consoles.

So to qualify for the giveaway by watching the conference on Mixer, do you have to watch it on the console, or do you just need to link your Xbox Live account to it to be eligible?

thill1985

Banned
Interesting response to the rumours. It is not like this is replacing yer xbone. For most it doesn't mean anything cos they weren't buying anyway, i reckon.

But against the Pro that is a harder sell, even as it is faster and morw comprehensive.

This is a strange comment. I have a pair of Xbox Ones and will be replacing one with a Scorpio. The target market or Scorpio seems to be gaming enthusiasts who already have X1/PS4/PC and are looking to upgrade their machine. So yes, it is literally intended to replace current consoles that the target demographic owns. I also think a fair portion of the 360-->PS4 base that switched platforms this time around will be interested in going back towards Xbox to play the best multiplatform titles, but this price slows that adoption down.

If it is $499 they will be missing a rare opportunity to capitalize on some marketing/messaging mistakes Sony has had with the Pro. With so much else going well for Scorpio up to now, that momentum getting ground to a halt due to pricing seems dumb. Especially since there is a very real chance Pro will be $350 this holiday. $399 just seems like a really obvious price point to really counter punch Sony's mindshare momentum that has slightly lapsed on the tech front with the Pro.

MrFlooD

So to qualify for the giveaway by watching the conference on Mixer, do you have to watch it on the console, or do you just need to link your Xbox Live account to it to be eligible?

Just watch via mixer and have your account linked. Doesn't matter what device.

I'll do it for you.

My statement is they have to announce the price today. I'll expand that further: they went a ridiculous amount of time without it. The reason for that is they needed to grab attention and stay in the conversation, and announcing the price would have deflated the hype. If they do it today, it will deflate the hype ... today. Same reasons to not do it today as in the past year.

Your statement still is bububu Sony too. You just needed to get that out, but you're not interested to talk about it further.

So you're basically agreeing what I said?

I said why wouldn't they announce the price today?

You said why haven't they already. Same reason

I replied saying why would they have announced the price if they haven't even given us the real name or have shown us what it looks like.

Then you began spewing a bunch of mojo JoJo.
But alrighty 😊

GHG

You know what is going to cost them even more money

Not selling consoles because they're too expensive and sony dropped the pro by $50

Sony aren't dropping the price of the pro. Well I doubt they will because it wouldn't make business sense.

You don't drop the price on your top of the line model/product, the target demographic can afford it. You drop the price on the product that is sold to the people who will feel it in the pocket.

Lucifon

I hope Keighley's source is MS internally to make a lower price more of a surprise. $499 seems nuts, that puts it at £469.99ish UK price when you add VAT, which is just completely crazy. That's higher than the original XB1 price and over £100 more than the PS4 Pro which will undoubtedly get a price drop.

But Phil explicitly said that they will subside Scorpio. That's actually the sole reason we are not going to come up with a new console every year. He said that if the console market ever reaches a point where you can sell a console at a profit they would support launching yearly, but since it's not and you have to subside the refresh cycle has to be a little longer so the return from games and subscriptions make up for the loss you had on the console.

RedFury

Sony aren't dropping the price of the pro. Well I doubt they will because it wouldn't make business sense.

You don't drop the price on your top of the line model/product, the target demographic can afford it. You drop the price on the product that is sold to the people who will feel it in the pocket.
I agree and disagree. If this is 499 stay strong at the current price point, at 399 I can see a price drop.

This is a strange comment. I have a pair of Xbox Ones and will be replacing one with a Scorpio. The target market or Scorpio seems to be gaming enthusiasts who already have X1/PS4/PC and are looking to upgrade their machine. So yes, it is literally intended to replace current consoles that the target demographic owns. I also think a fair portion of the 360-->PS4 base that switched platforms this time around will be interested in going back towards Xbox to play the best multiplatform titles, but this price slows that adoption down.

If it is $499 they will be missing a rare opportunity to capitalize on some marketing/messaging mistakes Sony has had with the Pro. With so much else going well for Scorpio up to now, that momentum getting ground to a halt due to pricing seems dumb. Especially since there is a very real chance Pro will be $350 this holiday. $399 just seems like a really obvious price point to really counter punch Sony's mindshare momentum that has slightly lapsed on the tech front with the Pro.

Well, I guess my thinking on that market was that if they wanted to pay oodles for an iterative upgrade, paying extra for the best isn't a major deal - indeed, to be expected, even. I would agree 399 would be better, ofc, but i imaginr it would cost them too much, ergo value proposition for the enthusiast consumer is there?

shanew21

Does seem a bit strange for Geoff to be confident enough to tweet it with the little disclaimer of unless something changes.

I'll put my tinfoil hat on and say it's a ploy to have a mic dropping 399 moment. Or even funnier if they announce 499 and say woops looks like the teleprompter is wrong, that should be 399
Sounds like a moment to test the waters. I fully believe the plan as of that tweet was $499, but now Phil can show some execs the massive PR blow it would be and they can change it pre-show.

kevin1025

Banned
He is one of the biggest catalyst to get every other media site talking.
I think it'd be worth it to Microsoft. At the end of the day, it's Geoff choice to reveal the info.

I hope so. While it would be really nice to see it not be that price, I think it's going to be that price. They have been pushing it as premium, and I think that's their premium price. Pulling a $499, nope, $399 stunt is kind of a one-time move that will burn that source.

Going to be honest here. Will buy Project Scorpio at whatever price it releases.

Hoping it's $399 so that it has a higher chance of being successful which in turn keeps the industry healthy, competitive, and exciting.

My exact feelings on it. I originally expected a $499 price tag when I saw the specs and heard "premium" over and over to begin with but like you would prefer it slightly lower for more mass appeal and success.

Sounds like a moment to test the waters. I fully believe the plan as of that tweet was $499, but now Phil can show some execs the massive PR blow it would be and they can change it pre-show.

A few people complaining on NeoGaf is considered a massive PR blow? MOST Xbox owners still won't even know about the existence of the Scorpio even after E3. We may be enthusiasts here, but we are a minority in that pie chart that accounts for all Xbox console/game sales.

Keinning

A few people complaining on NeoGaf is considered a massive PR blow? MOST Xbox owners still won't even know about the existence of the Scorpio even after E3

Nonsense. Thing will be plastered all over the dashboard. even people that never visited gaming media will see it

jbug617

Banned
A few people complaining on NeoGaf is considered a massive PR blow? MOST Xbox owners still won't even know about the existence of the Scorpio even after E3. We may be enthusiasts here, but we are a minority in that pie chart that accounts for all Xbox console/game sales.

you don't remember the Xbox One DRM reveal and people were tweeting that they were informing their casual friends about that.

Not just a few on neogaf, Geoff's twitter is filled with people complaining, and so is Jez's. If they wanted to gauge social media response than they are being very vocal

Wait, why is everyone just saying 499 or 399? They could go 449.🤔 Like some of you are saying, gauged the response from fans. Then just lower it 50$ keep it a little premium but not to the point some people are turned away from it

So Geoff says $499? I'm still convinced that they'll have a "base" Sku for $399 until they prove me wrong. Xbox One S was announced at $399 for the "launch" model with "details to come" on the other SKU'S

Scorpio is dominating the narrative, it's an optional mid gen upgrade. I wish we saw more of a stern focus from the many towards their first party ideology, should be about games first and foremost. I hope they drop a big suprise in the games department rather than the price of their Pro equivalent.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
What if they announced $349? Would you get it?

Impossible, but I imagine Microsoft "winning" E3 no matter what at that price.

got it from rehearsal i figured. might be accurate but i think that's something they keep close to they chest

It is possible that the price from rehearsal is a fake price, considering how secretive Microsoft has been thus far regarding it.

Keinning

Scorpio is dominating the narrative, it's an optional mid gen upgrade. I wish we saw more of a stern focus from the many towards their first party ideology, should be about games first and foremost. I hope they drop a big suprise in the games department rather than the price of their Pro equivalent.

Scorpio being $500 puts even more pressure on them to deliver games, and people are not very optimistic about them either. If the show is about what people already expect (CD3, SoT, Ori2, Forza7, SoD2) a cheaper Scorpio could turn the tide back in their favour, and with $499 they don't have this trump card anymore.

This reveal really killed my hype, not gonna lie. $499 is going to turn into a small fortune in my country, scorpio is out of my reach by that price. now i'm just sad and waiting for one or two indie reveals to play on my OG xbox1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom