• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live / Microsoft Down (Australia)?

xbox.com is down but outlook and microsoft.com are up.. This will probably last just an hour or 2. With the "mandatory" update... i hope for MS that they'll fix it soon

They stupidly took the Day 1 update off their public host site yesterday too.

Now, nobody can connect to XBL to get the patch that turns their console on.

Unlike the PS4, the XB1 console is completely inoperable without that Day 1 patch.

That wasn't a Day 1 Patch. That was a recovery file. AP came on earlier and clarified it. If you tried to install that without support you would likely brick your console.

Chobel

They stupidly took the Day 1 update off their public host site yesterday too.

Now, nobody can connect to XBL to get the patch that turns their console on.

Unlike the PS4, the XB1 console is completely inoperable without that Day 1 patch.

Even with that patch you still need to connect online, to download the real patch.

FStop7

Banned
Does MS run all their own services on the Azure infrastructure? If yes than this would explain the width of the problem...

I know Office 365 runs on Azure and that's what Xbox Live is supposed to be running on, too. I don't know whether the infrastructures overlap, though. I would kind of hope they'd isolate the business stuff from XBL.

Freki

43min for UK launch, their second biggest market? Uh ohhhh.

mainland Europe is already 18mins past launch...

I know Office 365 runs on Azure and that's what Xbox Live is supposed to be running on, too. I don't know whether the infrastructures overlap, though. I would kind of hope they'd isolate the business stuff from XBL.
I think they have - I can't imagine that live is running on the same kind of SLA than buisnesses (especially larger ones)

SRTtoZ

Needs a title change tbh, people think this is just an Australian issue. Also, this is why always online is GARBAGE.

That wasn't a Day 1 Patch. That was a recovery file. AP came on earlier and clarified it. If you tried to install that without support you would likely brick your console.

Ah, ok.

So there is no alternative to getting the Day 1 patch off XBL?

The ONLY thing an unpatched XB1 console can do is try to connect to XBL until it get's that patch. XB1 fans are gonna be screwed if they don't fix it by midnight EST!

It's uncanny...

As much as we like to shit on microsoft, azure and related web services such as office 365 is a billion dollar business for them. I really don't think xbox launch in one part of the world(australia/nz) would be large enough to take down everything. However, if that is the case, I feel bad for microsoft when millions of UK and US customers turn on their xbox ones tomorrow. The outage is gonna affect more than just the games business, a lot of corporate clients are gonna be real pissed.

kmg90

3411065-dis+gon+b+good!.gif

pouring-popcorn.gif

Sydle

Outlook, Skydrive, Microsoft.com, and MIcrosoftStore.com all working. Xbox.com cannot be reached. Central Texas.

jem0208

Xbox.com and outlook.com are both down for me (UK).

However microsoft.com is working fine. Maybe that's hosted on different servers.

Top Bottom