• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

So i was thinking about buying gears ultimate. Is there a code in the package for the 360 games, or do i just put the disc in my console and play it on my account while connected to the internet?

FyreWulff

I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but I just encountered an issue whereas my Banjo games stop launching on Xbox One. I've played them in the past without any issue but now suddenly it greets me with licensing issues?

After reinstalling I get the message: "Installation is almost done. If you have a game disc, insert it now. If this is installing from the XBL Store, the person who bought it needs to sign in with the profile they used at purchase."

I'm signed in with my only account, which made the purchases years ago, and it won't work. The XBL Store sends me to the Rare Replay page. Is it now required to own RR to play the Banjo games, even though I've bought them before?

I think you'll have to wait until BC officially launches

edit: or make sure you're download the originals and not the rare replay versions as posted above

I keep putting my Halo Reach disc in my Xbox One and crossing my fingers....I must really want to play it on my Xbox One (subconsciously). I hope it gets backwards compatibility soon. I wish it was one of the first titles to be backwards compatible.

diffusionx

Gold Member
RDR, Halo Wars, Reach, Gears Judgement, Skate 3, NG2, Forza Horizon, Civ Rev...

That's probably my list. I know most of those are gonna happen which makes me happy. Not gonna lie, this makes me wish I bought more games on 360 and less on PS3.

Human_me

RDR, Halo Wars, Reach, Gears Judgement, Skate 3, NG2, Forza Horizon, Civ Rev...

That's probably my list. I know most of those are gonna happen which makes me happy. Not gonna lie, this makes me wish I bought more games on 360 and less on PS3.

Halo Wars, Reach, Gears Judgement and Forza Horizon will definitely happen.
Microsoft said they will be making all their games backwards compatible.

Civ Rev - I remember Firaxis mentioning they will get it compatibile.

RDR, Ninja Gaidan 2 & Skate 3 is up in the air, But considering RDR is high on the feedback list that it should happen... unless performance is awful... or there is some licensing issues.

gossi

Also DLC doesn't work properly yet.

During November they plan to launch with 100 titles, however many will be Xbox Arcade games.

Synth

Halo Wars, Reach, Gears Judgement and Forza Horizon will definitely happen.
Microsoft said they will be making all their games backwards compatible.

Civ Rev - I remember Firaxis mentioning they will get it compatibile.

RDR, Ninja Gaidan 2 & Skate 3 is up in the air, But considering RDR is high on the feedback list that it should happen... unless performance is awful... or there is some licensing issues.

Ninja Gaiden 2 will probably count as one of MS' games, as they published it on 360. So that'll likely make it too.

Guys, simple question maybe Major Nelson will read it:

will the official unveil that is going to happen in November (I guess) be US only? or will it be day and date available in Europe as well?

Ade

Guys, simple question maybe Major Nelson will read it:

will the official unveil that is going to happen in November (I guess) be US only? or will it be day and date available in Europe as well?

Why would it be US only? There has never ever been any indication of that, and the beta is global.

chekhonte

So when is this coming out for regular users? All i've been able to find is a vague fall 2015.

I have an urge to play shadow complex over again.

chekhonte

November. With the new (and major) dashboard/OS update.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. There are a lot of 360 games I can no longer play since my 360 got the RRoD that MS wouldn't fix (it was 8 years old). I hope they keep adding titles.

gossi

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. There are a lot of 360 games I can no longer play since my 360 got the RRoD that MS wouldn't fix (it was 8 years old). I hope they keep adding titles.

Yeah, the good news is it works really, really well. It boots a 360 OS when you start a game and it's basically seamless. You can even screenshot and record video, and use snappable apps and multiplayer (with voice) against 360 players. I've played a whole bunch of Mass Effect and Borderlands (in co-op with 360 peeps) and it just works. Thumbs up to Mr. Microsoft.

chekhonte

Yeah, the good news is it works really, really well. It boots a 360 OS when you start a game and it's basically seamless. You can even screenshot and record video, and use snappable apps and multiplayer (with voice) against 360 players. I've played a whole bunch of Mass Effect and Borderlands (in co-op with 360 peeps) and it just works. Thumbs up to Mr. Microsoft.

Really good news. I'm champing at the bit for the update.

Dibils2k

cant wait till gears 3

the enormous wait times between matches in Gears UE social is really making me not wanna play it and really making me miss the real quick transition between matches in gears 3 social matches

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I can play it on PC laptop at 720 with just an i5 processor.

Thats great.

Thanks for sharing.

PhEHEz3.gif

RPS37

Once this shit goes live and a bunch GWG games are compatible...I'm gonna have soooooo much shit to play.

This is probably worthy I guess:

http://m.gizmodo.uol.com.br/entrevista-phil-spencer/

It's a interview with the Brazilian gizmodo. Phil says some very interesting things:

- The goal is to have xbox games playable everywhere. backwards and streaming are steps in that direction, but they will do more.

- They are focusing on finishing the 360 emulator on xbone, but 'they won't stop there. The goal is to bring OG Xbox to the mix, and eventually they will bring 360 to pc as well. (Which seems like another step on the item above)

- He won't say the titles that will be available for BC right away, but he hopes it will impress us with the titles they already managed to get.

This is probably worthy I guess:

http://m.gizmodo.uol.com.br/entrevista-phil-spencer/

It's a interview with the Brazilian gizmodo. Phil says some very interesting things:

- The goal is to have xbox games playable everywhere. backwards and streaming are steps in that direction, but they will do more.

- They are focusing on finishing the 360 emulator on xbone, but 'they won't stop there. The goal is to bring OG Xbox to the mix, and eventually they will bring 360 to pc as well. (Which seems like another step on the item above)

- He won't say the titles that will be available for BC right away, but he hopes it will impress us with the titles they already managed to get.

Might just be my translator but it reads as more of a "nice to have" that would be something they would like to do rather than something they explicitly going after.

Gizmodo : But do you plan for the future , include original Xbox games ?

Phil Spencer : It's something I want to do . It is a matter of priority. I would love to have the ability to play Xbox 360 on PC at some point too, so have different things we have to think when we plan these things . But it would be great to have support for original Xbox games . So yes, I want to do, but has many other things we want to do well. People fight with me for not having background music (laughs ) , so we have much work to do . Which is great ! It's great to have that feedback.

gossi

360 games on PC is entirely technically possible. They recompile the 360 games - without source code - with a PowerPC to x86 converter. I interviewed years ago for the company which made it, but they sold out (literally) and my non-disclosure agreement lapsed.

Then MS run the games in a HyperV container with Xbox 360 OS (which they also converted to x86). Both the Xbox One and Windows 10 ship with HyperV. So with fairly minimal work you could run, say, Red Dead Redemption on PC.

Might just be my translator but it reads as more of a "nice to have" that would be something they would like to do rather than something they explicitly going after.

The translation is correct, but the tone is more like: We want to have all those things, but we have to priorize. First we are focusing on getting 360 to xbone and then we have plenty of work like background music as well. More like, we want to have all that, but will take us time to get there, rather than Oh I want that and would be nice to have, but we don't plan on doing.

I don't mind take a while to get there, but I love that direction of having your games being platform agnostic that they seem to be headed.

Top Bottom