• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

ZeroXZee

Might just be my translator but it reads as more of a "nice to have" that would be something they would like to do rather than something they explicitly going after.

Yeah, it sounds more like an idea than a plan. But neither of the ideas sounds absurd, actually.

chekhonte

No, your comment was trolling.
This thread exist for people who want to play 360 games on their Xbox One. I do not care if I can play Dark Souls on PC. I want to play it on console, either as a remaster or using BC.

whatever, you can take however you want but bring up an alternative to playing a you desire to play is not trolling. I was just thinking that you could play it another way with equipment you may or may not have while you wait.

Synth

whatever, you can take however you want but bring up an alternative to playing a you desire to play is not trolling. I was just thinking that you could play it another way with equipment you may or may not have while you wait.

Well obviously there are alternative ways to play 360 games... such as on a 360... It's not really worth pointing out in a backwards compatability thread.

Well obviously there are alternative ways to play 360 games... such as on a 360... It's not really worth pointing out in a backwards compatability thread.

What this threads need to help it survive is a bunch of posters come in and point out all of the possible alternative ways to play the games people want to BC on Xbox One.

I think the thread would thrive and last a long time on that basis!

And i'll never visit it again

slapnuts

I can play it on PC laptop at 720 with just an i5 processor.

Thats great.

Thanks for sharing.

PhEHEz3.gif

LMAO

Cheddahz

Banned
This is probably a dumb question, but I was going to re-download all three Banjo games and I'm not able to anymore, as I need Rare Replay to do so. Is there a way I can access the 360 downloads of them for my Xbox One now?

Shockz

Neo Member
This is probably a dumb question, but I was going to re-download all three Banjo games and I'm not able to anymore, as I need Rare Replay to do so. Is there a way I can access the 360 downloads of them for my Xbox One now?

Only if you are currently in the preview program for xbox. If you aren't I can send you an invite!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
They won't. You lose about 1-2fps on each title. It's pretty close to native. Some of the classic 360 titles perform badly, even on 360, sadly.

We dont know that for a fact. No doubt DF will do an analysis on the games and compare the results. Its also some of those early games could get some minor tweaks that better take advantage of Xbox One architecture.

At the end of the day it really depends on how much effort MS wants to put into BC.

I suspect they're not going to put anywhere near as much effort as people think.

gossi

We dont know that for a fact. No doubt DF will do an analysis on the games and compare the results. Its also some of those early games could get some minor tweaks that better take advantage of Xbox One architecture.

At the end of the day it really depends on how much effort MS wants to put into BC.

I suspect they're not going to put anywhere near as much effort as people think.

I'm part of the preview program and have been capturing and frame counting across devices. The performance is very close to 360, with added vsync (which drops a few frames).

Because getting PowerPC to run on x86 required no effort
/s

Yaqoub

Did they update on the status of emulating multi-disc titles?

Would love to have Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon working on Xbox One. So much screenshot fodder.

Can GAF let me know when I should give up my 360? Because the mixed reception that the One is getting for 360 BC makes me not want one and Fallout 4 is coming out soon.

Teggy

Has there been a change in the way OneGuide works in the new UI? If I say "xbox go to OneGuide" it just brings up the window on the right with shortcuts to the most recent channels I have watched. How do I get the actual guide up?

Zeta Oni

Can GAF let me know when I should give up my 360? Because the mixed reception that the One is getting for 360 BC makes me not want one and Fallout 4 is coming out soon.

Mixed reception?

1. We only have like 6 or 7 games available currently.
2. It's only available to preview members.
3. Doesn't actually launch until (hopefully) next month.

I'd say outside of basic impressions with how the well the BC is working, you should wait at least until it actually launches before making any kind of decision.

We have generally no clue about the most important details needed for your question.

Mixed reception?

1. We only have like 6 or 7 games available currently.
2. It's only available to preview members.
3. Doesn't actually launch until (hopefully) next month.

I'd say outside of basic impressions with how the well the BC is working, you should wait at least until it actually launches before making any kind of decision.

We have generally no clue about the most important details needed for your question.

Oh. With the constant activity in here, I had expected it to be up and running with a nice compatibility list to justify the cost. I will keep waiting then.

mike4001_

Did they update on the status of emulating multi-disc titles?

I don´t think you have to worry about this.

That´s just some basic stuff how they emulate the DVD drive ... nothing that may not "can´t be done"

the emulation itself is the hard part ;-)

mocoworm

Oh. With the constant activity in here, I had expected it to be up and running with a nice compatibility list to justify the cost. I will keep waiting then.

Justify the cost of what?

BC is an extra. The console itself and the library of current gen games more than justifies the cost buying an XONE.

What?

I don't see how you can even possibly disagree there.

How much are you paying for BC?

I disagree with BC being just an "extra".

BC was the main issue I had going into this gen, not exclusives or graphical fidelity or any of the other sells that MS or Sony had in their arsenal.

LewieP

Justify the cost of what?

BC is an extra. The console itself and the library of current gen games more than justifies the cost buying an XONE.

That is a subjective point. If you already have a PS4/gaming PC, and don't really like Halo/Gears/Forza/Fable, there's not really that many reasons to own an Xbox One.

For myself, if the 360 BC extends to a decent portion of my favourite games on Xbox 360, and performance is roughly on par with how these games performed on the original hardware, I am far far more likely to buy an Xbox One.

Obviously this is just a nice bonus for anyone who bought an Xbox prior to the BC announcement, or who was planning on getting one anyway, but to suggest that the features of a console don't have any bearing on different people's assessment of the value of that console is insane.

Edit: This is equally true in reverse, if you have an Xbox One/Gaming PC, and aren't interested in Sony's exclusive titles, there's not many reasons to own a PS4. The rumored PS1/2 BC for PS4 would be a factor in determining the value of the PS4 for plenty of people too.

mocoworm

I disagree, but I have no intention of entertaining a console war or argument.

You bolded the 'BC is an extra' part. Are you saying that you don't agree that BC is an extra, sweet addition that is not part of the XONE?

I am not arguing, or starting a console war ?!? , whatever you mean by that. I am saying that the XONE is a current gen machine just like the PS4, and as such BC is a sweet, free addition that has come along 2 years into it's life as a gift from the XBOX team under Phil Spencer. Having BC does not justify the price of the console, the price of the console is justified anyway.

If you are unwilling to get into current gen gaming because you are waiting for BC then that is either a weird issue that you have, or a financial decision you are making which is right for you at this time.

Just play your last gen games on your last gen console, which they will run better on anyway.

You bolded the 'BC is an extra' part. Are you saying that you don't agree that BC is an extra, sweet addition that is not part of the XONE?

I am not arguing, or starting a console war ?!? , whatever you mean by that. I am saying that the XONE is a current gen machine just like the PS4, and as such BC is a sweet, free addition that has come along 2 years into it's life as a gift from the XBOX team under Phil Spencer. Having BC does not justify the price of the console, the price of the console is justified anyway.

If you are unwilling to get into current gen gaming because you are waiting for BC then that is either a weird issue that you have, or a financial decision you are making which is right for you at this time.

Just play your last gen games on your last gen console, which they will run better on anyway.

Purely financial.

mocoworm

That is a subjective point.

You are right. It is subjective. I understand your points, but I think that if you already have a 360, for example, then waiting for XONE to get BC before buying one is odd. You will still have your 360 to play all your last gen games on. The justification in the cost of a new console, for me, is the upgraded hardware and games library.

I really hope so. It would be a dream come true just for dragon's dogma alone.

Soon you'll be able to play that in 720p on an i5 processor.

Just kidding, Dragon's Dogma is nearing the top of my "to play list" and I'm really looking forward to it.

Is Dark Souls 1 one of the titles we expect early? I've seen DS2 mentioned often, but not the first.

Chris1

I disagree with BC being just an "extra".

BC was the main issue I had going into this gen, not exclusives or graphical fidelity or any of the other sells that MS or Sony had in their arsenal.

If the sole reasonfor buying an xb1 is BC, I would hold off on it for now. Wait until the first launch of games comes out, those games should be very telling as to what we should be looking at for the future.

The only thing we know right now for certain is all MS first party games, Fallout 3, Just cause 2, Rainbow 6 and games that's already been released.

LewieP

You are right. It is subjective. I understand your points, but I think that if you already have a 360, for example, then waiting for XONE to get BC before buying one is odd. You will still have your 360 to play all your last gen games on. The justification in the cost of a new console, for me, is the upgraded hardware and games library.

I had a 360, got rid of it, but still own plenty of games digitally. Games that should I be able to do so conveniently, I would like to revisit at some point in the future.

You should stop making declarative statements without considering a broad range of circumstances and perspectives different people might have.

There's also people who never had a 360 in the first place, people who's consoles broke out of warranty (a sizable portion!), people who got rid of their 360 for financial/practical reasons (this is me, I got rid of it because I was moving halfway around the world).

It's as viable factor in people's purchasing decisions as any other factor. I don't know why you have such a reductive perspective on it.

I've moved on, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I never owned a device that could play 360 games ever again, but hearing that BC existed for the Xbox One was probably the first time I have ever thought "I might buy one of them then". There are a couple of exclusives I am interested in, but not enough to justify buying a console for in isolation.

You are right. It is subjective. I understand your points, but I think that if you already have a 360, for example, then waiting for XONE to get BC before buying one is odd.

Not really. Even aside from financial reasons, there are things you can do with an Xbox one with BC that you can't do with a 360.

I keep putting my Halo Reach disc in my Xbox One and crossing my fingers....I must really want to play it on my Xbox One (subconsciously). I hope it gets backwards compatibility soon. I wish it was one of the first titles to be backwards compatible.

By far my favorite Halo multiplayer experience.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Because getting PowerPC to run on x86 required no effort
/s

I didn't say that, but by all means say I did so you can make yourself feel better.

What I am saying is that I suspect it will be a feature that "merely works" but I seriously doubt they will go the extra mile to have it work perfectly.

The main reason being is that there is very little profit in it.

mcrommert

Banned

You have to be kidding...there are few companies that have the knowhow and money to accomplish this...people have been hitting their heads against xbox and xbox 360 emulation for years and it has never been accomplished with even the highest of high end computers. This is happening on an xbox one. This isn't magic and if they try a bit harder it will be better...the fact that they are nearly breaking even is crazy.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You have to be kidding...there are few companies that have the knowhow and money to accomplish this...people have been hitting their heads against xbox and xbox 360 emulation for years and it has never been accomplished with even the highest of high end computers. This is happening on an xbox one. This isn't magic and if they try a bit harder it will be better...the fact that they are nearly breaking even is crazy.

BC would be something really special if we get improvements in performance and resolution, but as it is its a nice feature to have and one that I look forward to examining especially once the full list is known.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
BC would be something really special if we get improvements in performance and resolution, but as it is its a nice feature to have and one that I look forward to examining especially once the full list is known.

how would it improve performance or resolution? They can't go back and touch the game code.

the fact this works at all is an incredible engineering effort.

LewieP

how would it improve performance or resolution? They can't go back and touch the game code.

the fact this works at all is an incredible engineering effort.
In cases where it is convenient to do so, it will be totally possible for this to happen. Rather than rely on the BC solution they have, substitute a relatively simple port without even disclosing this to the end user.

If it's for a game where it uses and off the shelf engine (ie UE3), the original code base was well maintained, individual staff involved in the original release are at the same company, and there is some kind of financial incentive for ensure BC performs as well as possible, I can see it being preferable to do a bare bones port. I'm not talking about a full on remaster, but I could some games going native 1080p, and maybe smoothing the framerate out.

I'm even inclined to say that the Gears of War games might actually be something along these lines. They would be a great test bed for attempting this, and hit much of the criteria I discussed above. If they were just using the same BC solution as the rest of the games currently available in the preview, wouldn't they have been ready ages ago?

I doubt that this would make sense for the majority of 360 games, but for some titles it could make sense.

FyreWulff

while that's indeed possible, the whole point of the solution is to make it as cheap as possible. hence why no game specific emulators this time around.

I think what you may see is "Definitive Editions" that do happen given to you free for putting in the BC version, something like the Castle Crashers free/discount.

and after the MCC, MS is staying the hell away from porting more than one game at a time. They've outright said that themselves, actually.

im_dany

Why couldn't they?

Yes, its very impressive. I gave full props to MS for pulling it off.

They can't force other publishers to touch the code, and they can't touch it because they don't have it (and I doubt someone like EA would give their source codes to MS).

It's easier to keep it like this and release games as close as possible to the original.

Top Bottom