• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

Justinh

Thank you based microsoft san

Here's the interview if you or anyone else is interested. Brings up LO and BD starting at around 1:04.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/24/podcast-unlocked-at-e3-2015-phil-spencer-interview

It's such an interesting problem when you think about.

Not only do they have to get the game up and working on the xbox one, but now they have to figure out a way to simulate swapping discs at a specific instance in a game without touching the original code.

Essentially building a digital copy of a previously physical only release without changing a thing.

People over there at MS are no joke.

At first, I was a dummy and was all "Like...how hard could it be? Totally!" but then I started thinking about it and I guess it wouldn't be that easy.

I don't know why I typed that valley-girl talk thing.

what do you think are the chances of ps4 going backwards compatible as well?

PS3? Not very likely, even if it was possible I don't even know if Sony would bother putting the work in given it would probably take a herculean effort to do it, they could/should (probably) focus on getting people to use PS Now and making it more user friendly [cheaper] and improve the technology. PS1/2? Very likely, I'm not sure they would make a big deal over it, though.

DLCs now appear under "Ready to install" for Mass Effect
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3p78al/mass_effect_dlc_now_available_via_backwards/

PLVH7W8.png

Ein Bear

Awesome news. I feel like the Mass Effect games are the ultimate barometer for this service.

They're hugely popular, but must be a nightmare to get running. Lots of DLC, multiple-discs, save transfers (which didn't play nice with cloud saves), no original digital release... If they can get them working then they'll be able to support pretty much anything.

Chris1

That would explain why the MS person played Mass Effect recently despite it already being in preview.

Good to see they got DLC ready for launch though.

Has the framerate performance for mass effect seen any improvements over the last month? i'm not in the NXOE and ME1 has not had an update for a long time for me.

gossi

Has the framerate performance for mass effect seen any improvements over the last month? i'm not in the NXOE and ME1 has not had an update for a long time for me.

It doesn't run very well. All above 20fps though. I actually went back and captures performance on the 360 and performance is also poor on 360.

It's actually quite fun, I've played a bunch of upcoming BC titles on 360 recently and performance in those days was clearly not a focus with gamers like today. Lots of them screen tear really really badly, for example.

Awesome news. I feel like the Mass Effect games are the ultimate barometer for this service.

They're hugely popular, but must be a nightmare to get running. Lots of DLC, multiple-discs, save transfers (which didn't play nice with cloud saves), no original digital release... If they can get them working then they'll be able to support pretty much anything.

The first game was on one disc... so we still don't know if they've got the multiple disc thing working yet.

gossi

For folks thinking that games will get a performance boost on the Xbox One, that's already been shot down, no?

Yes. You do not get a performance boost. I am in NXE project and have capture card - you actually get a slight performance loss (as force Vsync is enabled, and lots of titles had tearing). Perfectly playable, however - it's almost exactly the same as 360, without tearing.

ironcreed

Banned
Yes. You do not get a performance boost. I am in NXE project and have capture card - you actually get a slight performance loss (as force Vsync is enabled, and lots of titles had tearing). Perfectly playable, however - it's almost exactly the same as 360, without tearing.

That is all I would expect. I just hope that a big chunk of my library is there.

It doesn't run very well. All above 20fps though. I actually went back and captures performance on the 360 and performance is also poor on 360.

It's actually quite fun, I've played a bunch of upcoming BC titles on 360 recently and performance in those days was clearly not a focus with gamers like today. Lots of them screen tear really really badly, for example.

I know the 360 never ran it too well but the BC version has areas where it's so low framerate that it's impossible to aim correctly, hopefully they can somehow fix those areas before release.

It's all due to the forced vsync stuff.

Anyone know if Doom XBLA works on the older OS?

doesn't even show up for me, if it appears i'll try.

Azzawon

I have access to two XB1s, but on one of them I am able to download Borderlands (360) whereas on the other I am not. What's that all about?

ElRenoRaven

So if I buy halo reach digital for my 360..I don't need my halo reach discs anymore as soon as Reach BC hits?

Nope you won't. If you own the digital version you can download it and not need the disc. That's one reason I'm glad I got a digital code long ago after the preview discs were screwed due to the huge update they made to reach. MS gave out codes to everyone that had that disc when they did.

nded

Got some sort of Xbox email about this. Is there an ETA for non-preview users, or is it still the vague holiday launch window?

krang

Got some sort of Xbox email about this. Is there an ETA for non-preview users, or is it still the vague holiday launch window?

While it's not dependent on NXOE, my understanding is that BC would arrive along with it, and that was due in November. However, given how the NXOE preview appears to be going I wouldn't be surprised if it all gets put back.

Bumhead

Banned
Has it ever been mentioned what the approach to games with multiple versions is? I'm thinking GOTY editions and such.

Fallout 3 is a decent example seeing as we know that's coming and that it has a GOTY edition. Will that be enabled too or is it literally just the vanilla original version?

darthbob

Has it ever been mentioned what the approach to games with multiple versions is? I'm thinking GOTY editions and such.

Fallout 3 is a decent example seeing as we know that's coming and that it has a GOTY edition. Will that be enabled too or is it literally just the vanilla original version?

Possibly just vanilla plus all the DLC as separated downloads. Kind of like how Mass Effect's DLC is being handled.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Really frustrated by the wait for more stuff. I wish they didn't even announce this if they weren't ready to support it on a larger scale sooner. I wanna play VF on XB1 :(

Chris1

Uhhh... edit that out. It's not up to you to post where he lives. Big difference saying a city and linking someone to a street address.

Top Bottom