• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One April Update Preview Now LIVE - Friend Online Notifications are back(soon)!

JaggedSac

It knows the IR for changing channels, Play/Pause/Stop/FF/REW, etc. It currently won't do subchannels, but if you're using a tuner with only whole number channels (like cableCARD) it should work fine.

I still want to retire the thing someday, but my wife likes it too much, since everything we record has the commercials auto-stripped out.

That's cool that they added a bit of support for it though.

mcrommert

Banned
Some nice additions, but there are other things that still need to be fixed:

- Storage management. The ability to remove downloadable content that isn't tied to a previously played game. An option to uninstall in the Store would be a start.
- The achievement app seems to be pulling language data on a game per game basis. If my console is set to English, I shouldn't be seeing French or even Italian descriptions.
- The Zoo Tycoon glitch. Never played the full version (only the demo), yet the game icon shows up under My Games & Apps.

So about the zoo tycoon glitch...if you reset your xbox it will go away...not really a big deal other than redownloading all the games as your game saves automatically back up

So about the zoo tycoon glitch...if you reset your xbox it will go away...not really a big deal other than redownloading all the games as your game saves automatically back up
Do you mean do the wipe/restore? I have wanted to do that to try and fix a Hulu glitch but I am nervous. Have you done it before? I don't want to lose saves or progress to any games.

Shylock

Do you mean do the wipe/restore? I have wanted to do that to try and fix a Hulu glitch but I am nervous. Have you done it before? I don't want to lose saves or progress to any games.

Only thing that doesn't get backed up to the cloud is your settings. I've done the full wipe, and I've also done a warranty swap, haven't lost anything yet.

zebwinz

I re-created a clip I made back in November as closely as possible, to test the video quality difference. I played Dead Rising 3 and used the same weapon, clothes, and challenge as the original clip. I uploaded both to my Onedrive (the original in November, the re-creation last night) and put them in this two minute video:

http://youtu.be/hjCzNRd6Vg4

My video editing skills aren't great but the compression definitely seems a little better, although I can't say for sure if its only because the game & console have been patched repeatedly since the original upload.

Jarrod38

I'm part of the beta preview but I'm still stuck at the 1403 build so how do I force the update on the Xbox One? For my Power mode I have it set to Instant on mode.

zebwinz

I'm part of the beta preview but I'm still stuck at the 1403 build so how do I force the update on the Xbox One? For my Power mode I have it set to Instant on mode.

I don't think there's anyway to force it to update. They roll out the update in waves and it should just come some night while your console is in stand-by.

sangreal

do we even know for sure that the gamedvr change is live? not everything went in at once -- eg the friends notifications are not live

I got the first beta update overnight. Installed this morning.

Then I get home from work and my power brick is orange again. I turn it on and it took forever to boot up, but it didn't install anything.

Kinda weird. I've always got it set to standby mode.

I hear this update breaks the xbox one? Should it install it?

Not to play Devils Advocate but my Xbox One literally stopped reading disc the minute the install finished.

EDIT: Got it to boot Ground Zeroes for all of 5 minutes then it stopped. It's not reading a single X1 game I have. It COULD technically be a huge coincidence, but it's weird that the moment it finished I can't read disc anymore.

Razdek

Banned
I can't seem to get the sound mixer to work. I set it all the way to the right so that only the snapped app would have sound but it's still coming through both. Anyone have this issue?

zebwinz

Not to play Devils Advocate but my Xbox One literally stopped reading disc the minute the install finished.

EDIT: Got it to boot Ground Zeroes for all of 5 minutes then it stopped. It's not reading a single X1 game I have. It COULD technically be a huge coincidence, but it's weird that the moment it finished I can't read disc anymore.

It's a known issue and they are working on a fix: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_update_preview/xbox_one_preview_support/wave_2_1404/f/4614/t/1717955.aspx

Edit: Here's the text from the Xbox Preview Forum -
We are aware of an issue where some consoles may experience an issue where the Blu Ray drive does not power on, resulting in an error stating that the disc is not recognized when trying to play games that are disc based, play movies, etc.

A workaround is to either eject and re-insert the disc, or if this fails to resolve, do a complete shutdown and power up (press and hold the power button for 5 seconds until you hear the console power down, then start back up). We apologize for the inconvenience and are working on a fix.

I can't seem to get the sound mixer to work. I set it all the way to the right so that only the snapped app would have sound but it's still coming through both. Anyone have this issue?

I haven't messed with it, but the default is certainly working as it's supposed to.

malfcn

Now my console is not working.

Uh oh. I think my Xbox One is broken.

Been playing Titanfall a ton. And the usual Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video.
Decided, hey I should go back to some Black Flag. Unreadable Disc. That isn't right.

It may have been hinted there was something wrong, or a sign the Xbox didn't want to lose Titanfall.
When I tried to eject that disc it popped out and sucked itself in.
After ejecting and inserting Black Flag a few times..maybe a cold boot, so I hold the power.

Greeted by a super slow reboot. Green screen for a few minutes. Then a black screen for a few minutes.
Then the dashboard shows up, but doesn't load anything. Almost like the internet was down, nothing accessible.
Hit the menu button and click settings. Screen goes black. Can't do anything. So I get up and hit the power button.
Then for the next 10-15 minutes the white power light on the console blinks before finally going out.

I haven't gotten up yet or tried the controller to turn it on.

Seriously?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
do we even know for sure that the gamedvr change is live? not everything went in at once -- eg the friends notifications are not live

They finally gave it a real icon instead of the achievement icon! But I dunno about the quality, would have to try real hard to compare a previous clip of the same nature.

also, scary stuff about the disc unreadable stuff, hopefully that is fixed ASAP.

Broman1978

My Xbox didnt recognize my Titanfall disc after the update so I just ejected it and inserted it again and it worked for me..:)

malfcn

Brick is orange. Plugs in and turns white and goes to orange. Booting now..will see what happens.a
Well now games are working. But headsets still don't work and the psu is loud.

C4Lukins

Something I just noticed with Xbox Video, which may or may not be new. I tend to buy season passes for shows with commercials. And I like to marathon shows, or at least save up a few new episodes before going on a binge. I hate watching week to week. Anyway I noticed that Xbox Video now does something similar to Netflix where the next episode will auto start. It also does it between seasons which at least the Netflix apps on 360 and Xbox One do not do. So if I watch the finale of an episode of season 1 and i have purchased season 2 of the series it will go straight into the next episode. Not something huge or impressive, but a logical and very welcome addition. Again I have no idea if this is new or a part of the update.

Has anyone requested the ability to delete messages with "X" like you used to be able to on X360? It's bad enough that I have to open a separate app entirely just to read the messages but, when the majority of the message is visible from the main message screen anyway it seems ridiculous that I need to go in to the message in order to delete it. I've already read the damn thing. X. That's all I ask.

Alx

Something I just noticed with Xbox Video, which may or may not be new. I tend to buy season passes for shows with commercials. And I like to marathon shows, or at least save up a few new episodes before going on a binge. I hate watching week to week. Anyway I noticed that Xbox Video now does something similar to Netflix where the next episode will auto start. It also does it between seasons which at least the Netflix apps on 360 and Xbox One do not do. So if I watch the finale of an episode of season 1 and i have purchased season 2 of the series it will go straight into the next episode. Not something huge or impressive, but a logical and very welcome addition. Again I have no idea if this is new or a part of the update.

No, it was in a recent update of the video app, but it's not part of the April preview. I noticed it too and I don't have the April update installed. It's really cool indeed. :)

Caayn

Fumbled around with the device settings in the preview and the XB1 finally knows how to control my home cinema set :)

One button(or voice) press to rule them all

zebwinz

Has anyone requested the ability to delete messages with "X" like you used to be able to on X360? It's bad enough that I have to open a separate app entirely just to read the messages but, when the majority of the message is visible from the main message screen anyway it seems ridiculous that I need to go in to the message in order to delete it. I've already read the damn thing. X. That's all I ask.

Push the Menu button when the message is highlighted, select Delete, no need to open the message. I agree though, a single button push would be easier.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
No problems on my end with the update. In fact resume games now works again which seemed to be broken in the March update.

Games run fine from disc as well.

Caayn

Since the I've got the preview update achievements notifications don't pop-up. I do unlock them but they don't appear in my notification center or pop-up as they normally would.
And the gamerscore on the big tile on the left of the home screen won't update. It's stuck at the score I had before I unlocked the achievement.

zebwinz

Since the I've got the preview update achievements notifications don't pop-up. I do unlock them but they don't appear in my notification center or pop-up as they normally would.
And the gamerscore on the big tile on the left of the home screen won't update. It's stuck at the score I had before I unlocked the achievement.

That is weird - none of those problems on my machine. Hate to sound like facetious but have done a hard reset on the console?

The Flash

Banned
I think the YouTube app got an update because video thumbnails show the upload date and the number of views. It used to be that you had to click on the video to see that stuff I think.

BusterJol

Yeah I'm having the game disc problem. Example: I'll start up the Xbox and play Ground Zeroes then after I'm done I'll want to switch to Titanfall but when I eject, it automatically pulls Ground Zeroes right back in. So I eject again and put in Titanfall but it says the game disc might be damaged.

The way to play and swap out games now is turning off the console or hard rebooting it.

They need to fix this pronto.

Updated my console tonight (I think I actually got it last night, but didn't use my console).

I like the recently updated icon, although it appears to only show on the Home tab and in Games and Apps, but doesn't show on your pins? Maybe just something with this build?

Hopefully adding this also has them re-enabling auto updates to games and apps while in standby (which worked perfectly for me the first couple months, but have stopped working in the last couple for some reason).

It's a known issue and they are working on a fix: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_update_preview/xbox_one_preview_support/wave_2_1404/f/4614/t/1717955.aspx

Edit: Here's the text from the Xbox Preview Forum -
I thought something was wrong with my XB1.
whew.png

malfcn

This update the Kinect is working worse. "Xbox sign in Kyle" - and It has" Muted the Tv, Everyone is signed out etc. Before It almost always worked. Now I almost always have to repeat myself. The magic is lost when it becomes annoying to get it to work.

zedge

Yeah I'm having the game disc problem. Example: I'll start up the Xbox and play Ground Zeroes then after I'm done I'll want to switch to Titanfall but when I eject, it automatically pulls Ground Zeroes right back in. So I eject again and put in Titanfall but it says the game disc might be damaged.

The way to play and swap out games now is turning off the console or hard rebooting it.

They need to fix this pronto.
Exact same problem here.

Deception

This update the Kinect is working worse. "Xbox sign in Kyle" - and It has" Muted the Tv, Everyone is signed out etc. Before It almost always worked. Now I almost always have to repeat myself. The magic is lost when it becomes annoying to get it to work.
I'm having the same problems. Used to be to switch TV channels with voice easily but now it almost never works.

Oh thank God it's just a bug. I ejected Ground Zeroes a couple hours ago then had it sucked back in. I ejected it again and put in Titanfall and it always said the disc was dirty or damaged. I hard booted the system and it worked again but I was ready to mentally accept that I had to mail the system to Microsoft to get it fixed.

Whew. Glad it's just a software bug.

outsida

Kinect voice control has been working nearly flawlessly since the update. Even Xbox on.

I'm having the same problems. Used to be to switch TV channels with voice easily but now it almost never works.

Seems like whenever they make tweaks it fixes problems for some and creates new problems for others. On my end the Kinect voice voice commands are working better then they ever have.

Don't have the update as am not part of that group I guess.
Anyhow does everyone else always lose the pins and have to do a reset on their xbone?
I do this every other day .

Lol at them hyping friend notifications as a new thing...so sad.

That being said, thank god theyre adding it back.

Pretty much this. They got hyped over showing how much memory you have in your Xbone or even being able to check the battery life of your controller. It should be bloody standard .

Top Bottom