• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One April Update Preview Now LIVE - Friend Online Notifications are back(soon)!

Rockyrock

This is always the great thing about being with the company that is playing catchup.

They're constantly trying improve while the leader gets complacent.

Its just the circle of business.

Tyrax

This is always the great thing about being with the company that is playing catchup.

They're constantly trying improve while the leader gets complacent.

Its just the circle of business.

I don't think it has to do with playing catch up. Sony was not releasing updates to the PS3 when they lost a lot of favor. I think we are getting fast updates because MS is better at software.

Ape

Banned
They are both pretty shit. If you care about Blu-ray, you should have a dedicated player that is quieter, faster, consumes less energy and can do 3D.

I wonder if more people have Xbox ones than 3d tvs right now. I mean, that actually use them.

Smokey

They are both pretty shit. If you care about Blu-ray, you should have a dedicated player that is quieter, faster, consumes less energy and can do 3D.

My PS3 is my dedicated Blu-Ray . Especially since neither X1 or PS4 can play 3D movies.

EvB

My girlfriend simply wouldn't entertain the idea of watching a whole film in 3D, so I'm not too fussed

Shylock

Anyone happen to know if they've fixed the subchannel issue with OTA users & WMC? Like "Watch Fox" only sends IR for "8" when it should be "8.1" -- yay for testing your product with another of your own products. :/

Olaf

Banned
Beacons were actually awesome because it's one more way to control those friend notifications. Sometimes I don't care whether a friend is online, even if a favorite, because I only care of he's playing the game I want to play. I'd like to see them return.

Beacons were fantastic. Yeah I didn't use them all the time, but they were handy for those barely played games YOU still want to play.

I have a couple of guys on my lye list who play Daytona USA and got a few races in thanks to beacons.

zebwinz

Can someone take some grabs from a new Game DVR vid?

Or just post a vid don't know why I asked for grabs.

I wish I would've seen this feature before I got the update so I could do a comparison but here's a bit of me failing a jump repeatedly in Strider:

http://1drv.ms/1kGaFcS

Plus a picture of the Chat Mixer screen:

BjCZOGCCMAAJWvL.jpg

Hubble

Lol at them hyping friend notifications as a new thing...so sad.

That being said, thank god theyre adding it back.

Who has been hyping this? And to be fair, the PS4 does not have notifications.

They honestly just need to start building the 360 interface onto XBO with more similarities.

RoKKeR

Friend thing should have been in at launch obviously but I'm glad that it's finally here.

Improvements to Game DVR quality will be much appreciated. Still the best feature of next gen bar none IMO.

Bessy67

Agree and the XBO should be able to record longer.

Not exactly the same, but if you're looking to record longer segments you can broadcast to twitch and archive it. You need better internet than I have for it to look halfway decent though.

Caayn

Slightly off-topic but what happened to the demo section in the marketplace? It has completely disappeared for me.

TeRey09

Agree and the XBO should be able to record longer.
I wonder if they could make the GameDVR record longer after they add external hard drive support. Like as long as the external is connected we could record longer and maybe control the quality. That might make dedicated pvrs obsolete but it would be an amazing feature set.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I wonder if it's pulling old 360 data. Although the smartglass apps for the 360 and the one are two completely separate apps. But the gamer tag is the same.

Weird. there is no Xbone Waypoint, so it's def 360 id, but why? No clue. Checking into it. Do you have Waypoint installed on more than one device? (Phone? 360?)

Did they start rolling this out? I did get a notification about the update via message on smartglass and a fairly long update just now. Just a coincedince?

IAmABeliver

Neo Member
As a software guy, I can get behind them doing smaller, but more frequent, updates. To be fair, the mobile app landscape shepherded this approach but it's a win-win for all involved. Push out what's ready and hold what isn't.

As objectively spoken as I can be on the subject, I was going to get an X1 from the beginning for the media features. It's lovely as an addition to the living room media center. But I also know from the 360's lifecycle that what was missing from launch (and there is still a lot they need to improve on after this update) that they're going to improve the experience as time goes on. I never had a PS3, but I don't recall there being many updates to the PS3 OS experience. Think of 360 from launch to now -- it's a completely different beast. I'm very glad that Microsoft operates this way. Looking towards the future, I can see the X1 gaining traction with cloud computing making up for some of the technical mismatching that PS4 has the advantage over, but by no means am I tied to any graphic or game development. It just gives me hope and seemed more future proof than what the PS4 offers. Although, Playstation Now looks pretty sweet.

JaggedSac

Anyone happen to know if they've fixed the subchannel issue with OTA users & WMC? Like "Watch Fox" only sends IR for "8" when it should be "8.1" -- yay for testing your product with another of your own products. :/

How are you using WMC on the Bone?

sethcheek

I wonder if more people have Xbox ones than 3d tvs right now. I mean, that actually use them.
I have an Xbox One and a 3DTV. I have to have the PS3 hooked up to take advantage of it. I'm a total sucker for 3D movies, once I switched to passive. Active gave me a headache.

I'm surprised it wasn't just a part of the system. I wonder when they finalized the specs of the system, that 3D wasn't just a no-brainer.

IAmABeliver

Neo Member
I have an Xbox One and a 3DTV. I have to have the PS3 hooked up to take advantage of it. I'm a total sucker for 3D movies, once I switched to passive. Active gave me a headache.

I'm surprised it wasn't just a part of the system. I wonder when they finalized the specs of the system, that 3D wasn't just a no-brainer.

I thought 3D TVs weren't selling. It's just too awkward, IMO. I don't expect 4K TVs to take off until Internet speeds get higher in America either.

Beacons were actually awesome because it's one more way to control those friend notifications. Sometimes I don't care whether a friend is online, even if a favorite, because I only care of he's playing the game I want to play. I'd like to see them return.

Yeah, instead of asking for online friends notifications people should have asked for actually useful ones (notification when a friend, no matter if favorite or not starts playing the same game I am, or one that I set up a beacon for)

zebwinz

Pretty sure this is new to the April Update - a little controller icon shows up in the friends list for anyone who is playing a joinable game:

BjDiq0vCcAAZKRm.jpg

Hyunickel

Neo Member
I checked out upload studio and apparently you can record video clips for up to 5 minutes, as in directly from Kinect. Was that there before, did I just completely miss that?

Despite all the negative criticism(even my skepticism at times) I'm glad I bought the xbox one. Microsoft is giving solid updates and starting to make good on its promises, thanks to...THE INTERNET!

zedge

Pretty sure this is new to the April Update - a little controller icon shows up in the friends list for anyone who is playing a joinable game:

BjDiq0vCcAAZKRm.jpg

I saw this looking at my friends list..Does that mean mine updated already?

Just poking around the settings, it seems alot quicker. Dunno.

zebwinz

I saw this looking at my friends list..Does that mean mine updated already?

I don't remember seeing the icon before so it could've been in one of the other updates. I got the update last night.

Easy way to check if you have it, go to settings, Display and Sound. If you see the new section labeled Volume with Sound mixer and Chat Mixer, you have it.

Or Settings -> System -> Console info
OS version 6.2.10785.0

zedge

I don't remember seeing the icon before so it could've been in one of the other updates. I got the update last night.

Easy way to check if you have it, go to settings, Display and Sound. If you see the new section labeled Volume with Sound mixer and Chat Mixer, you have it.

Or Settings -> System -> Console info
OS version 6.2.10785.0

Thanks!

Yep, I have the sound and chat mixer there now. What does this do exactly?

Thinking about picking up an Xbox One tomorrow. What does everyone think of theirs so far?

I'm interested in Titanfall, Killer Instinct, Garden Warfare, and Dead Rising 3. Do those justify the console?

Thinking about picking up an Xbox One tomorrow. What does everyone think of theirs so far?

I'm interested in Titanfall, Killer Instinct, Garden Warfare, and Dead Rising 3. Do those justify the console?

I would say Killer Instinct and Titanfall justified the console for me. hehe

The others are just awesomely fatty gravy on the top.

For me they did. But I love PGR and Forza so an xbox was a no brainer for me.

TheLaw

Banned

Absolutely, haven't played Garden Warfare yet. But other games your mentioned are solid buy.

Top Bottom