• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One April Update Preview Now LIVE - Friend Online Notifications are back(soon)!

WJD

Nice to see the constant updates. Still gonna need a huge NXE style overhaul for the OS but... baby steps.

oh and

Lol at them hyping friend notifications as a new thing...so sad.

That being said, thank god theyre adding it back.

fuck these kinds of posts

so hard

SaracenSam

Neo Member
Microsoft are getting these updates out thick and fast great news. Looking forward to getting this hopefully in the next couple of days.

Friends online thing is a big bonus.

Makes me jealous being with a PS4. Sony is terrible with OS/UI (software) and getting out updates with any meaningful features added. Something Microsoft definitely has the upper hand in.

kinggroin

Banned
I hope this somehow means they've enabled HDMI-CEC for the HDMI output. I hate how it doesn't support it right now. The "Xbox On" command turns on my TV but doesn't automatically switch to the right input. It's so convenient on PS3 and PS4 where I can just press the PS button and it'll turn on my TV, switch to the right input automatically and even remember my volume settings.

That's because it uses IR to handle sending commands to devices.

On Demand

Banned
Keep up the good OS work, Microsoft.

One area you're destroying Sony in.

Sony needs to have firmware and software developers in America. They shouldn't still be in Japan. Japan is not the focus anymore so it would make sense to make a new development team in USA that handles the U.I and firmware updates. But Japan being Japan, they probably won't let that happen.

U2NUMB

Love having these monthly update to add features. After the Favorites notifications the only thing I really need at this point is USB external HDD support so I hope that is out in an update here soon.

Good job MS.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
No you can't. I'm not sure it will ever happen, I have read it has something to do with the privacy laws here, it's not allowed to be listening constantly.

Not to steer this off topic, but how does the voice recognition work with all other....i guess accents? I have a hard time with mine understanding me saying pins, not friends. I just wonder how well it does with Aussie and UK English accents?

deadfolk

They really need to separate Kinect voice language from store country.

I'm living in Ireland, speaking English with an English accent. Kinect won't listen to me because my XBone is in Ireland. If I change that, I get the UK store.

Didn't work that way on 360.

Xone9

Banned
got an mail message right in the middle of my titanfall explosion stating a preview update would be coming in the next few days..

EvB

How does one get into the preview program? :(

Ah, lame!

Does that mean that we'll get patches notes for games and apps? Or at least a version number, so we can track it down on the internet.

I think the reason why Microsoft is listening to the community and giving updates on a regular basis, is to balance with all the constant (useless IMO) bashing about the non-stop comparison of sub-1080p games with PS4. At least they are doing something right.

I discovered you can check the version number of an installed game or app as well as some other info about it.

Select a tile in games/apps then hold L+R and press select.

L+R and Y also refreshes the page /part of dash you are currently on

Got the update before bed, and must say, the game DVR differences in quality is pretty great. Glad to see them tweak stuff and keep things updated. I had an update for Netflix last night too, not sure what it was for though...wish there were patch notes.

Edit: ^^^post above, can someone try that method and check Netflix? :D

TTUVAPOR

Banned
It frustrates me that everything is an app on Xbox One. When I'm in game and I want to bring up my friends list, I gotta wait for the friends app to load. Then once it loads, I gotta wait for the actual friends list to load. Then if I want to start a party, I gotta wait for the snap mode app to load...

MSFT said this was going to be a much faster UI but it's actually the opposite of the Xbox 360, which was pretty damn slow to begin with.

Also, if you play regular DVD movies on the Xbox One, the audio doesn't match the movie. The blu-rays seem to be fine, I haven't noticed any mismatched audio, but it's definitely noticeable with DVD movies, I wish they would fix this.

Cynn

I still don't understand why both MS and Sony removed them.

I have to guess its because they both expanded friend list limits. A guy with 1000 friends would have a constant stream of pop-ups.

I have always liked them and am glad they are returning.

Spades

I have to guess its because they both expanded friend list limits. A guy with 1000 friends would have a constant stream of pop-ups.

I guess. MS are going down the right road with "favourites" so at least you can limit the amount of notifications if you do have a massive friends list.

The notifications might just be for favorites, has anyone had then yet to confirm? If they were for favorites it would make more sense as people could regulate who they want to see them for, whether it be all their friends, or non, or 5, ect. I haven't had a chance to check that part out...can someone confirm if you get notifications for everyone on FL or just Favs?

ElRenoRaven

Beats me. It's stupid though. It's like both of them went and said what can we take away that was something that should obviously be there and then took away that. For both preaching being connected to your friends that's one big thing that makes you unconnected.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I'm glad they are doing these updates. Waiting for mine now to update to the preview but a lot of these features should have been done at release. Maybe not all of them but certain ones such as the battery indicator and space management.

That's great MS is updating the quality of the game clips – they're kinda bad.

Next update I hope MS removes the requirement of Kinect to operate Upload Studio. I just want to upload my clips, jeez.

I dont think this was a decision they made going into it. I'm sure it was on the list, but the 100s and 100s of other items on the list of things to do for a console launch just pushed it back.

Because it was annoying with 100 friends and it's going to be a nightmare with 10-20 times that XD

Glad that they brought the option for those who wanted, but I don't understand why would anyone want this XD

Alx

Oh wow, the Kinect hand motion recognition is definitely improved.

That's good to hear. I started using them more and more (since I now know how to trigger the apparition of the hand cursor and got a better feeling of the "push" motion), but I found cumbersome to "click" in specific locations of the screen, namely the upper left corner for notifications.

i hope the online notifications for friends and favorites are two seperate options. would really like the when my favorites go online, but not my whole 100+ friendlist

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
That's good to hear. I started using them more and more (since I now know how to trigger the apparition of the hand cursor and got a better feeling of the "push" motion), but I found cumbersome to "click" in specific locations of the screen, namely the upper left corner for notifications.

Yeah, it was a bit floaty before moving too much on the screen when I moved my hand in a certain direction and seemed to lag a tiny bit. Unless my mind is playing with me it doesn't lag much now and the hand cursor follow closely to my hand and not too far off like before.

I was on the previous preview, any action on my part, or it will just update? Some friends of mine received a message with a code, I still haven't got any :(

WJD

Anyone else unable to access XBL? Store and twitch and everything are working but it says I'm not connected.

Do you guys think we'll ever get better DVI support on Xbox One? It only supports 480p/720p/1080p. Xbox 360 had support for those and many common PC monitor resolutions.

Caayn

Most likely the reason. But it should've stayed as an option as it was already optional on the PS3/360.

Nice that it's coming back though.
Glad that they brought the option for those who wanted, but I don't understand why would anyone want this XD
People like me who don't have a gazillion friends.

The Flash

Banned
•Improved GameDVR video quality through compression algorithm improvements.

giphy.gif

madmackem

MS is trouncing Sony on their system updates and being really transparent about it. Sony needs to say something.

They have a lot less to fix, the ps4 os is way above where the ps3 was, the xboxone had went backwards from the use ability of the 360. I agree it would be nice if sony got to adding a few things but overall I'm happy with ps4 I wasn't with xboxone at launch.

They have a lot less to fix, the ps4 os is way above where the ps3 was, the xboxone had went backwards from the use ability of the 360. I agree it would be nice if sony got to adding a few things but overall I'm happy with ps4 I wasn't with xboxone at launch.
PS4 went back too with stuff like no download pause.

TheLaw

Banned
Can anyone post picture of friend online notification. Just want to see how it looks :p
I am signed up for beta test but not home till late tonight.

Top Bottom