• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

EffEmmGee

Are you guys trying to access the content through the game's store front connection? I don't think it works.

I just bought Severed on the Xbox web store, along with the free online pass and multiplayer maps, and downloaded them from the games and apps section of the Xbox One. You have to select "Manage game" and download from the Ready to install section.

Yes, but the Collector's Edition content is still not available, either in the Store, or via Manage Game, it's just not been made available to download.

I'm having the same issue, most frustrating. I thought that all games had to have their DLC's cleared for release at the same time as the main game?
Go through your Xbox My Games and apps and then burger menu to Manage Game. That's where you should be able to download the DLC from.

Edit: beaten like an egg

EffEmmGee

Go through your Xbox My Games and apps and then burger menu to Manage Game. That's where you should be able to download the DLC from.

Edit: beaten like an egg

Again, the Collector's Edition DLC is not showing under Manage Game, why is this so hard for anyone other than those with the problem to understand?

I can get all the other DLC that way, just not what is shown in the screenshot, because it is not available.

Maiden_TY_One

Neo Member
Are you guys trying to access the content through the game's store front connection? I don't think it works.

I just bought Severed on the Xbox web store, along with the free online pass and multiplayer maps, and downloaded them from the games and apps section of the Xbox One. You have to select "Manage game" and download from the Ready to install section.

I already own Severed and it's not in my Ready to Install list.

Maiden_TY_One

Neo Member
On the bright side both Dead Space 2 and 3 run like a dream on Xbox One. Played through a few chapters on each and didn't encounter a single problem. If anything I'd say they run better on One than on 360. Oh, not to mention that we no longer have to swap discs halfway through the game. :D

Now if they can just get Severed to work with it...

Justinh

Again, the Collector's Edition DLC is not showing under Manage Game, why is this so hard for anyone other than those with the problem to understand?

I can get all the other DLC that way, just not what is shown in the screenshot, because it is not available.

For some games (Forza Horizon and Gears of War 2+3 season pass stuff) I had to try to initiate the download first in-game and it would spit out the "use the manage game menu, dummy" message, but it wouldn't appear under manage game before I did the in-game thingy. Sucks that's not a workaround for Dead Space 2 since it doesn't look like you can even "try" to download in that screenshot of the DLC in the menu.

For some games (Forza Horizon and Gears of War 2+3 season pass stuff) I had to try to initiate the download first in-game and it would spit out the "use the manage game menu, dummy" message, but it wouldn't appear under manage game before I did the in-game thingy. Sucks that's not a workaround for Dead Space 2 since it doesn't look like you can even "try" to download in that screenshot of the DLC in the menu.

- Dead Space 2 main menu, select store
- Highlight Severed - 560 MS points, it says "(A) download" since I own it
- I hit A and get an XB360 system style popup to confirm the purchase (total price: free)
- Xbox One system message "To install this, find the game in your games & apps, then select Manage game. You'll see it listed under Ready to install."
- Severed still not showing up under Manage game. I've just got the game and Outbreak Maps (which is free).

The game also prompts me to buy the online pass every time I load it up, despite having bought it at launch.

I don't own the collector's edition content, so my old save games load fine. Except the ones for Severed, of course.

Dead Space 3 doesn't have this issue. I've got a bunch of piecemeal DLC from pre-ordering and it all works fine. The DLC works fine as well.

Justinh

- Dead Space 2 main menu, select store
- Highlight Severed - 560 MS points, it says "(A) download" since I own it
- I hit A and get an XB360 system style popup to confirm the purchase (total price: free)
- Xbox One system message "To install this, find the game in your games & apps, then select Manage game. You'll see it listed under Ready to install."
- Severed still not showing up under Manage game. I've just got the game and Outbreak Maps (which is free).

The game also prompts me to buy the online pass every time I load it up, despite having bought it at launch.

I don't own the collector's edition content, so my old save games load fine. Except the ones for Severed, of course.

Dead Space 3 doesn't have this issue. I've got a bunch of piecemeal DLC from pre-ordering and it all works fine. The DLC works fine as well.

Hopefully they get this sorted out. I don't own Severed and I didn't really feel like buying it, I just know that I can't download the Collector's Edition stuff which sucks. I just did the "trial" online pass option after seeing it the second time.

zoodoo

Just bought dead space 2 physical for 10$. 1 is a masterpiece and i remember not liking 2 that much because of the high number of encounters. I will give it another try.

I also bougth dark souls 3 that came with a code for a dark souls 1. How is the performance on xbox one? I saw the digital foundry video and it seems the same but was there any patch released later?

FINALLY!!!
maxresdefault.jpg

Outstanding news on Dead Space 2 (and 3) - i'm stoked!

I'm gonna get me that Hardcore cheevo by hook or by crook!

And even though DS3 was a big disappointment, I still really enjoyed it; would be interested in getting a co-op run!

Just bought dead space 2 physical for 10$. 1 is a masterpiece and i remember not liking 2 that much because of the high number of encounters. I will give it another try.

I also bought dark souls 3 that came with a code for a dark souls 1. How is the performance on xbox one? I saw the digital foundry video and it seems the same but was there any patch released later?

I am playing through DS1 just now. It's pretty framey in Blightown and also anywhere where there is some fire. I havent watched the DF video or played it on a 360 but it's been consistently like it for a year...so I don't think there's been a patch.

That said I've been getting through the game fine.

If you haven't played DS1 it's absolutely still worth playing, it's an amazing game.

Maiden_TY_One

Neo Member

Everyone gave that knee-jerk reaction to Dead Space 2 at launch. A lot of people only played the first few chapters and decided they could judge the entire game - that's where you get the lame and invalid criticisms that Dead Space 2 is an action game and not scary enough.

Anyone who's played the game from start to finish knows that only the first 6 chapters are 'action horror' - because they're set in the middle of an outbreak in a population centre. Chapters 7-15 are every bit as horror oriented as Dead Space 1, if not more so. There's even a sequence later in the game where you don't encounter a single enemy for about 10 minutes (and it frightened the **** out of me the first time I did it).

Then Dead Space 3 came out where they really DID turn it into an action game....:S

Maiden_TY_One

Neo Member
Hopefully they get this sorted out. I don't own Severed and I didn't really feel like buying it, I just know that I can't download the Collector's Edition stuff which sucks. I just did the "trial" online pass option after seeing it the second time.

I'm pretty sure it's something they'll sort out in a patch. A few B/C titles have some hiccup problems when they first get done that are sorted out fairly quickly. I'd be very surprised if they didn't fix this, anyway.

Severed is a hit and miss DLC - hit because the actual content is fairly good (especially if you played or are familiar with Dead Space: Extraction on the Wii), miss because it's INCREDIBLY short. Like, literally two chapters. That's it.

And while the story content of it is pretty good, it's mainly setting things up for Dead Space 3 - but the events of Severed were never followed up in Dead Space 3 because EA forced Visceral to change their entire concept for that game. So the end result is that Severed is kind of superfluous to the series.

While I did enjoy Dead Space 3, I'd personally love it if Visceral did a Neil Blomkamp and do an alternate third instalment where they actually follow up on the things they set up in Dead Space 2. I can dream.

Maiden_TY_One

Neo Member
Word of WARNING about Dead Space 3, as I've just remembered this:

Those stupid 'Scavenger Bot' things - you can lose them PERMANENTLY if you set them off and complete the game before you retrieve them from a workbench. When you load up a New Game + from that save you'll be down to 2 Scavenger Bots forever. Do it again and you'll lose another, and so on.

The same can also happen if you're in a co-op game and you drop a Scavenger Bot and the session ends. Basically, never drop a Scavenger Bot unless you know for certain you'll be able to retrieve it within the same 'session' if you follow my meaning.

I don't have to worry about this as I used a save editor to give myself 999999999 Tungsten - and no, I do not have any moral qualms about it because that whole 'resources/scavenger bot' feature was entirely about micro-transactions. If EA are gonna screw me over by putting micro-transactions in their game then I have no guilt about screwing them over in return. But for anyone who's not comfortable using a save editor, heed this warning!

Also in Dead Space 2 don't fill your inventory to the top - going into a New Game + can cause you to permanently lose weapons and suits. I lost my Hacker Contact Beam this way and now that weapon is gone forever for me. :(

Justinh

I'm pretty sure it's something they'll sort out in a patch. A few B/C titles have some hiccup problems when they first get done that are sorted out fairly quickly. I'd be very surprised if they didn't fix this, anyway.
Oh. I hope you're right. I haven't been following along with games that had issues with DLC in the BC program before and I wasn't aware that there were "hiccups" before. It doesn't feel like it would take a lot of effort to fix, but I'm no expert or "in the know" about this sort of thing.

Justinh

I got the full BLOPS collection yesterday at GameStop for 14.99 new. You should try to grab that.

That's not too bad. Yeah I got it for 20 in that digital sale recently since I've never played it. I was browsing Gamestop last night and in their "Xbox One Backwards Compatibility" section they were selling used copies of Black Ops 2 for like... 30 bucks and I was like "P'fwhat?"
Maybe it's just their online store or something.

That's not too bad. Yeah I got it for 20 in that digital sale recently since I've never played it. I was browsing Gamestop last night and in their "Xbox One Backwards Compatibility" section they were selling used copies of Black Ops 2 for like... 30 bucks and I was like "P'fwhat?"
Maybe it's just their online store or something.

Even better, buy the $14.99 collection, then trade back in blops 1 and 3 if you don't want them. Get $10 back easy.

EVEN BETTER buy the $14.99 collection, trade all 3 discs in individually, make $30 credit, buy the collection again, trade the other two discs you don't want, and make $25 credit after keeping the second black ops 2 disc.

Or just repeat this until you get banned. This is how i bought an xbox one s this weekend.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Even better, buy the $14.99 collection, then trade back in blops 1 and 3 if you don't want them. Get $10 back easy.

EVEN BETTER buy the $14.99 collection, trade all 3 discs in individually, make $30 credit, buy the collection again, trade the other two discs you don't want, and make $25 credit after keeping the second black ops 2 disc.

Or just repeat this until you get banned. This is how i bought an xbox one s this weekend.
Lmao.

Justinh

Are all 3 games on disc? I'm a digital guy but if 1 and 2 are digital and just 3 is on the disc I'd get that. I doubt it since it's 360 copies.

It wasn't BC at that time thought right?

Honestly, I didn't know these Black Ops "sets" even existed before this thread. In the item description for the combo pack with 1 and 2 it says it comes with two discs, but there's not such info for the collection with 1-3. I have no experience with the collection, so I'm just going to have to defer to hagane and assume that what he's saying is true that it comes with three discs.

Black Ops 2 I'm pretty sure was announced as backwards compatible while it was on sale. I would not have bought it otherwise. I could probably easily check the dates and find out with certainty, but I'm feeling really lazy right now...
edit: Yeah, announced as BC on 11April, on sale from 10April to 18April according to StoreParser.

Welcome to the thread anyway!

Please vote for OG Xbox BC on Xbox User Voice if you haven't already: https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/2.../6032159-original-xbox-backward-compatibility

Speaking of OG Xbox support, I'm looking to buy some Xbox games: I'm not sure if I should buy an original Xbox and have access to the full library, or buy a new 360 so I have a lot of OG Xbox I can use plus all of my current 360 games? However, 360 BC support is going well so far on Xbone, and potential OG Xbox BC support has me hesitant to invest in either a new 360 or OG right now lol. Guess I'll wait until E3

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Is it possible to buy a download code for Forza Horizon 1? I failed to buy it on XBL before they pulled it and would prefer not to re-buy a disc copy.

EmiPrime

Speaking of OG Xbox support, I'm looking to buy some Xbox games: I'm not sure if I should buy an original Xbox and have access to the full library, or buy a new 360 so I have a lot of OG Xbox I can use plus all of my current 360 games? However, 360 BC support is going well so far on Xbone, and potential OG Xbox BC support has me hesitant to invest in either a new 360 or OG right now lol. Guess I'll wait until E3

If nothing gets announced at E3 get an original Xbox, BC on 360 is terrible (doubly terrible on PAL 360s). If you like to tinker, the OG Xbox is the best console ever.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Is it possible to buy a download code for Forza Horizon 1? I failed to buy it on XBL before they pulled it and would prefer not to re-buy a disc copy.

Last time I looked cdkeys.com still had keys.

Drippy

Just buy an OG Xbox. Even if OG Xbox BC will be ever a thing, I'm sure that whole game library won't be available. OG Xbox has tons of exclusives AND best console versions of almost every multiplatform games released back in time. Look for modded console. There are some great possibilities like installing games on HDD or playing some games in 720p on PAL console (if you're NTSC then you can play them even on unmodded console).

Zeta Oni

Yeah, my personal opinion:

Wait until E3.

If nothings announced, pick up a cheap OG Xbox, look into removing the battery for the internal clock and softmods, and buy a OG Xbox component cable.

360 is ok for the games that work.

Also, an opinion from someone who did some work in a few gamestores: The time to get rare OG Xbox games on the cheap was probably 5+ years ago, but lots of the library can still be had for relatively cheap (I picked up Phantom Dust in great condition for 15 bucks on amazon last month for example). That said, the time to get physical 360 games for a collection is now people, get back ups for scratched discs and complete cases with booklets while they are still available for cheap and easy to find.

Each game that gets added to BC that I already own physically (which is alot at this point) gets bought out of storage, installed, toyed around with for a while (or longer if I'm having fun, in the case of TimeShift), and then put back. I then look for sales on the digital copies so I don't have to worry about bringing them back out, but they are good to have around in case of any unforeseeable issues.

Edit: Also, don't forget getting DLC for your collection either. Ya never know.

im_dany

I've also been building a HUGE 360 library now that they're dirt cheap. Picked up in the last few weeks:
Oblivion
Skyrim
Alpha Protocol
Bayonetta
Condemned
Condemned 2
Prey
Pure
Rage
Singularity
The Darkness 2
Zone of the Enders HD

All for <10€ each, most of them were like 3-5€. Have a 250GB 360 + 1TB external and have everything installed, it's glorious. Going to pick up a few more and then I'm set.

I've also been looking at OG Xbox but since it pretty much bombed in Europe (let alone Italy) it's hard to find one close here.

Top Bottom