• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility Thread: Everyone wants it, no one uses it

Novocaine

With DoW3 out (and sadly no way to play it properly) it got me thinking about those games and then I remembered how fucking awesome Space Marine was and now I want Space Marine on BC.

Puzzle Fighter needs to come first though of course!

If nothing gets announced at E3 get an original Xbox, BC on 360 is terrible (doubly terrible on PAL 360s). If you like to tinker, the OG Xbox is the best console ever.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Last time I looked cdkeys.com still had keys.

Just buy an OG Xbox. Even if OG Xbox BC will be ever a thing, I'm sure that whole game library won't be available. OG Xbox has tons of exclusives AND best console versions of almost every multiplatform games released back in time. Look for modded console. There are some great possibilities like installing games on HDD or playing some games in 720p on PAL console (if you're NTSC then you can play them even on unmodded console).

Yeah, my personal opinion:

Wait until E3.

If nothings announced, pick up a cheap OG Xbox, look into removing the battery for the internal clock and softmods, and buy a OG Xbox component cable.

360 is ok for the games that work.

Also, an opinion from someone who did some work in a few gamestores: The time to get rare OG Xbox games on the cheap was probably 5+ years ago, but lots of the library can still be had for relatively cheap (I picked up Phantom Dust in great condition for 15 bucks on amazon last month for example). That said, the time to get physical 360 games for a collection is now people, get back ups for scratched discs and complete cases with booklets while they are still available for cheap and easy to find.

Each game that gets added to BC that I already own physically (which is alot at this point) gets bought out of storage, installed, toyed around with for a while (or longer if I'm having fun, in the case of TimeShift), and then put back. I then look for sales on the digital copies so I don't have to worry about bringing them back out, but they are good to have around in case of any unforeseeable issues.

Edit: Also, don't forget getting DLC for your collection either. Ya never know.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll probably end up picking up an original Xbox after E3, but I'll start picking up some OG Xbox games now. I never owned the console, but I have fond memories of playing my friends' originals.

Hoping we get some more niche/uncommon games on Xbone BC. I think adding some more non-AAA titles like Timeshift is a solid move. Would love to see some games like Prey, Enchanted Arms, Rockstar Table Tennis, etc. added.

EvB

Probably won't happen.

Do want to say I don't understand how that game got critically panned from what I played. Very underrated game.

Because it was terrible?
I calculated I wasted 6 hours of my life just watching that Valkyrie animation

What are the MUST own OG titles then chaps?

For me:

Halo
Ninja Gaiden Black
Burnout 3: Takedown
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Grand Theft Auto III/Vice City/San Andreas
Knights of the Old Republic
Project Gotham Racing 2
Forza Motorsport
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Figments

For me:

Halo
Ninja Gaiden Black
Project Gotham Racing 2
Forza Motorsport

Your list is missing Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and that disturbs me.

UraMallas

Because it was terrible?
I calculated I wasted 6 hours of my life just watching that Valkyrie animation

Between this and your opinion of N&Bs being the best Banjo Kazooie game, I can safely say we have very different tastes in video games.

Hitta93

Banned
For me:

Halo
Ninja Gaiden Black
Project Gotham Racing 2
Forza Motorsport

Add Crimson Skies, MechAssault 1/2, The Warriors, Jade Empire, and Jet Set Radio Future.

OG Splinter Cell/Pandora Tomorrow, KOTOR II, and Warrior Within/Two Thrones are needed as well.

Started playing the original Dead Space, as I realized I never beat the last chapter back on the 360 (woops). Started from scratch on Hard, and I'm on chapter 7 now. Also going for the plasma cutter only achievement.

I gotta say, this game holds up incredibly well and runs nicely on the Xbone. Going to probably play DS2 and 3 after I beat this, as I never beat those games either.

willbsn13

I'd kill for like any racing game to made BC anytime soon. I know licensing is why we never see any BC but still got have some hope :/

Also Saints Row 1 & 2 plz

Bizzquik

What are the MUST own OG titles then chaps?

639929boxart_160w.jpg

Truthfully, there is no better way to play this beloved franchise than with a controller on an Original Xbox.

Best controller-UI configuration for a simulation game...ever.
(though, really, the controls were so simple and the menus so few that its probably cheating to say that.)

Hawk269

For me:

Halo
Ninja Gaiden Black
Project Gotham Racing 2
Forza Motorsport

Sad that you left out RalliSport Challenge 2...one the best racing games along with FM and PGR2. In addition, Midtown Madness 3 was also a blast to play.

stn

Why are we posting OG XBox BC wishlists? There's no way it was officially announced, right?? ...Right? Please don't get my hopes up.

ss_lemonade

No idea why we're posting OG xbox wants but Wreckless Yakuza would be a sweet title to have on BC. I think those replays still look amazing today. The sequel would be cool too. Maybe not as graphically impressive but it was 720p and had stuff like HDR/tone mapping on the Xbox.

shanafan

I love COD as much as the next guy, but I have pretty much moved on from BO2. Having a blast with COD: IW and some BO3 still, and I'd rather play newer games, lol.

Top Bottom