• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One March Update Impressions Thread [Now Available]

mcrommert

Banned
My receiver has Dolby and DTS support and lights up when either format is used. I have my XB1's audio go through over optical. However, this receiver has slots for 2 sets of speakers, one is for 5.1, one is for stereo. I use stereo speakers since I do not have the space for 5.1 speakers.

If I use Dolby or DTS on XB1, is it for 5.1 audio only? Would my receiver decode it into a 2.0 format? Should I use uncompressed Stereo instead?

Definitely use uncompressed stereo...then it will downmix into stereo...you haven't had issues with not hearing conversation on tv shows? usually they are mixed to center speaker...you may have it set to downmix to stereo on your receiver

Bungie

Hope everyone here & elsewhere knows that you have to go to
Settings > System > Update controller, for the controller update.

EDIT: Nvm seen it in the OP.

The Flash

Banned
I made this post yesterday about someone was testing Twitch streaming and Reddit found it. There are vids and pics in the link

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=102552695

Added to the OP. Thanks.

Thanks for the info OP. Subscribed.

cb6.gif

Hope everyone here & elsewhere knows that you have to go to
Settings > System > Update controller, for the controller update.

I put it in the OP a few minutes ago

see5harp

What's wrong with system stability updates?

To the end user they are worthless unless they actually explain what is being fixed. See Sony, see Steam, see every platform that updates frequently with little to no explanation of why.

I think its time to stop talking to this guy he's obviously crazy....its like saying "I wish to go back to early 2000's microsoft before they did patch tuesday for major issues. I like my os's bug ridden and security prone"

It's not black and white I just don't like the update process as it is right now. Me saying I don't want monthly updates unless they are significant to me is not the same thing as saying I want a bug ridden and security prone system. Get a grip.

B3N1

To the end user they are worthless unless they actually explain what is being fixed. See Sony, see Steam, see every platform that updates frequently with little to no explanation of why.

As long as there is a changelog and we feel the improvements I'm okay with weekly updates too. I hated to wait 2 months for the 360 updates after announcement, then another 3 to implement something they forgot to add.

There is still a lot to improve, and if we get a few fixes like this every update, the Xbone will be a pretty solid console by the end of the year.

Cartman86

Banned
Thanks, worked like a charm. Speaking like a drone was cumbersome, haha.

Need to add similar support for fast forward and rewind for TV. That doesn't even support the "faster" command. All I know though is that I never want to just FF at 2x speed on Comcast.

link1201

I was in one of the first waves of people who got the preview access and got the actual update. But since then I've disabled the "instant-on" mode, so I'm thinking that that might be the cause.

I switched mine to the instant on mode and got the update. I was on power saving mode and my xbox just didn't want to update. The febuaray update I had to use the usb method.

mmitt

Need to add similar support for fast forward and rewind for TV. That doesn't even support the "faster" command. All I know though is that I never want to just FF at 2x speed on Comcast.

yeah that would be great.
I have my htpc plugged in and use a combination of eventghost, dvbviewer and an IR receiver to change my channels with those commands, since it's not officially supported here.

does the job fine, but a "faster" command instead of having to repeat "xbox, fast forward" would be awesome.

mcrommert

Banned
yeah that would be great.
I have my htpc plugged in and use a combination of eventghost, dvbviewer and an IR receiver to change my channels with those commands, since it's not officially supported here.

does the job fine, but a "faster" command instead of having to repeat "xbox, fast forward" would be awesome.

Do you ever have problems with your computer image freezing and requiring the hdmi to be unplugged and replugged in order for it to start working again?

mmitt

Do you ever have problems with your computer image freezing and requiring the hdmi to be unplugged and replugged in order for it to start working again?

never happened, no.
sometimes it shows the "I lost your TV signal" warning for a second or two when switching to the PC, but it picks up the picture every time with no issues.

Bsigg12

I think they will for sure, since they promoted the hell out of the NFL fantasy features with snap, but the football season was almost over by the time the XB1 came out.

I think we'll have both Yahoo and ESPN fantasy football apps for next season so that'll be great since NFL.com fantasy football is meh and no one I play with uses it.

SegaShack

Definitely use uncompressed stereo...then it will downmix into stereo...you haven't had issues with not hearing conversation on tv shows? usually they are mixed to center speaker...you may have it set to downmix to stereo on your receiver

My receiver mode is set to "Stereo" unless I want to put it in Dolby or DTS mode. I've been using PCM stereo on XB1 thus far and haven't had any issues. My HDMI in is my 360 actually so no TV. So Dolby isn't better quality audio?

mcrommert

Banned
never happened, no.
sometimes it shows the "I lost your TV signal" warning for a second or two when switching to the PC, but it picks up the picture every time with no issues.

Do you ever go to the desktop? I stopped using an htpc connected to my xbox one because it was so annoying and terrible...anytime there wasn't something in motion on the screen (i used moving background in xbmc) it would lock up and only unlock if i opened xbmc and only after a while. I should have taken video of this garbage

mmitt

Do you ever go to the desktop? I stopped using an htpc connected to my xbox one because it was so annoying and terrible...anytime there wasn't something in motion on the screen (i used moving background in xbmc) it would lock up and only unlock if i opened xbmc and only after a while. I should have taken video of this garbage

that sounds horrible :(
I had it a couple times on the desktop while browsing, or on a static 'f* your weather' screen from my dvb-s card :), never had that issue though...

mcrommert

Banned
that sounds horrible :(
I had it a couple times on the desktop while browsing, or on a static 'f* your weather' screen from my dvb-s card :), never had that issue though...

Can you pm me your setup...i really want to get it working but i am using a apple tv now using plex connect since it was so annoying (and unusable for my wife) would appreciate the help

mcrommert

Banned
My receiver mode is set to "Stereo" unless I want to put it in Dolby or DTS mode. I've been using PCM stereo on XB1 thus far and haven't had any issues. My HDMI in is my 360 actually so no TV. So Dolby isn't better quality audio?

The quality from uncompressed pcm stereo is better. Since you are using only stereo speakers there is no disadvantage for you...i would recommend continuing to use it

Dolby digitial is lossy compressed audio...comparable to mp3's while uncompressed pcm is the same as cd's

derFeef

Hm I don't like that it lowers the volume of the game the whole time when you are in the party automatically, should be the other way around.

One would have to imagine the only thing holding up the HDD USB3 option is that for the majority of users it won't be an issue until this fall when the average user will be bumping up against the storage limits on the console.

They probably prioritize the stuff they need right now for 75% of the users than stuff that only benefits 1% right now.

If install sizes keep the same around the entire generation I actually don't see disk space being much of a problem... Unless you absolutely want to have all the games you own installed at all times.

We are seeing Microsoft treat Xbox as one of its main product lines...it is based on the NT kernel like windows 8 and windows phone 8 and will be updating soon to the most current 8.1 code base. For xbox users this means only good things.

Hope when that comes we get tab and password sync between all devices.

Caayn

If install sizes keep the same around the entire generation I actually don't see disk space being much of a problem... Unless you absolutely want to have all the games you own installed at all times.
With the amount of time it takes for some titles to become playable, without having them installed first? I see disk space becoming a problem very quickly. If I go back in my game collection and want to play game X again I don't want to wait half a hour before I can play said game.

Needing to remove games from my HDD would prevent me from playing older games. As it would be a chore to first uninstall another game to make room for the game I want to play only to wait 30 minutes before the install has progressed far enough for me to play the game.

derFeef

Oh man, I just played PvZ and it booted me right into the update screen, 1,4gb - that's not fun! lol

edit: it fixed my optical audio problem though, hurray!

mcrommert

Banned
Okay quick question...I already have the stereo headset attachment and I just got the update. I updated both of my controllers and then connected the stereo attachment. As soon as I did they said they had to be updated. So I tried to update again. It would fail every time. As soon as I disconnected the attachment it would say the controller had already been update. Does anyone have an attachment already and if so are they updating properly? Make be a new controller build but not the one that supports the attachment.

With the amount of time it takes for some titles to become playable, without having them installed first? I see disk space becoming a problem very quickly. If I go back in my game collection and want to play game X again I don't want to wait half a hour before I can play said game.

Needing to remove games from my HDD would prevent me from playing older games. As it would be a chore to first uninstall another game to make room for the game I want to play only to wait 30 minutes before the install has progressed far enough for me to play the game.

I get that it will not be enough for everybody...

But the console does have enough space to have quite a few games installed at once. I have 11 installed games right now, and I'm just barely over 50% full... This include games that I already finished like Ryse, DR3, Max... and has no current plans on play them again anytime soon.

In my case, the overhead of installing the game wouldn't be an issue either, because I don't usually start the console not knowing what I'm going to play, if I ever want to revisit any of those games I would queue them to install in the morning, go to work, and when I'm back home they would be already installed and updated...

Like I said, I get the need for more storage, but I think many people will be fine with the provided space (assuming game sizes doesn't skyrocket as the years pass by)... In some cases having better tools to manage content (like using smartglass for managing your library even when you are not home) should be more useful to users than straight up having more space.

I imagine that game disk space will slowly increase on average over the course of the gen. As developers continue to find ways to optimize the systems, they'll be able to add higher res, or simply more assets. Plus, many of these games coming out will have lots of post-release content that will be in addition to what's on the disc.

I don't think storage is an urgent issue yet. Likely around summer, and most definitely fall, it will be required if you want to store a lot of games (such as myself). It's just way more convenient to download them once and have them stay up to date, than have to wait and download it completely when you want to play a game again.

Lima

Hm I don't like that it lowers the volume of the game the whole time when you are in the party automatically, should be the other way around.

It still does that? Horrible. There is no fucking need for this option. Or at least make it an option. I get a heart attack whenever I leave a party and the sound levels return to normal levels because I upped the volume during party chat to match the original level.

I did a beta for the xbox 360

just got mine
but I am playing thief
soo the only big change I have seen so far
is that friends has been replaced
its now favorites and followers

and I see something called broadcasting on the same page, no clue what that is???

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Welcome to the Xbox Preview Program, where you get an update almost every day until it rolls out to the public.

It's a bit more frequent than usual. But thanks.
I did a beta for the xbox 360

just got mine
but I am playing thief
soo the only big change I have seen so far
is that friends has been replaced
its now favorites and followers

and I see something called broadcasting on the same page, no clue what that is???

Broadcasting is the twitch app broadcasting. So people can watch you play.

Yep, I just got that update. Anyone notice anything different yet? I'm assuming they're discovering a few bugs and correcting them.

Haven't got to mess with it yet. Only reason I noticed is it's a pain in the ass to get my Xbox to start again after an update.

SegaShack

The quality from uncompressed pcm stereo is better. Since you are using only stereo speakers there is no disadvantage for you...i would recommend continuing to use it

Dolby digitial is lossy compressed audio...comparable to mp3's while uncompressed pcm is the same as cd's

Thank you so much. I understand analog audio inputs (RCA) 100% and was new to digital so I really appreciate it. I suppose compression is so it can carry a 5.1 or 7.1 signal?

Glad to have a definitive answer. Stereo Uncompressed it is.

Razdek

Banned
They still need to increase the performance in the apps so it's snappier. There are times when you move from the different filters in the friends aops or games and apps section there is lag or it takes a few seconds to load. I hope they keep working on optimizing it quickly.

The Flash

Banned
Twitch seems broke. Can't watch streams.

Might have it working. Now. Had to reboot it.

The Pokémon stream is working just fine for me. Some of the apps are just freaking out a little bit it seems. Nothing a reboot can't handle though.

Can anyone who has gotten the third update post the OS version number for me?

Cartman86

Banned
Switching to Optical audio even though I'm using HDMI seems to still output audio so i'm unsure if my question actually matters, but is there support for Dolby Digital 5.1 with HDMI now?

Top Bottom