• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One March Update Impressions Thread [Now Available]

So once you're in this program you're in for good? Or does it end when this preview wave ends?

I assume the daily updates stop happening after the final version comes out, but I think we'll be up for the next preview. I'm guessing we'll have to download another registration app or something.

Derpcrawler

I love how fast XBL is, wanted to play BF4 on PS4 yesterday and couldn't because of an slow update, had to leave console to download it overnight. Sony need to get rid of Akamai and do their own CDN. Sony keeps telling me "it's your ISP".

Gif is real time:

Q031Cte.gif

BF4 update on PS4:

I love how fast XBL is, wanted to play BF4 on PS4 yesterday and couldn't because of an slow update, had to leave console to download it overnight. Sony need to get rid of Akamai and do their own CDN. Sony keeps telling me "it's your ISP".

Gif is real time:

Q031Cte.gif

BF4 update on PS4:

Never seen this update screen on my xbox before.

watership

Never seen this update screen on my xbox before.

If your Xbox is off the update downloads in the background. Then when you turn the Xbox on, it installs with a black screen and a green bar. If your on the Xbox, you get message saying, new update. When you accept, you see a Xbox one graphic and it downloads, like the image above.

derFeef

Gif is real time:

Q031Cte.gif

BF4 update on PS4:

I got that too yesterday (booted me straight out of a game, haha). But it only was fast at the start and the end, I think it's allocating files or something. No way it is that fast on my line and it was the same speed as in your gif.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member

Gif is real time:

Q031Cte.gif

BF4 update on PS4:

damn man how slows ya net!!

Derpcrawler

I got that too yesterday (booted me straight out of a game, haha). But it only was fast at the start and the end, I think it's allocating files or something. No way it is that fast on my line and it was the same speed as in your gif.

Took me around 3 minutes to get whole update. I also bought Rayman Legends yesterday, took me 6 minutes to download it to playable state (was 40 or 50%).

100Mbps fiber

PSN and XBL both max out my DL speeds whenever I get updates or whatever. Could be your ISP for reals man.

After the recent changes to net neutrallity, some ISP are throttling Sony for movies and others throttling Microsoft for services beyond Windows Update.

We live in some messed up times.

Derpcrawler

why was that BF4 update saying 13hrs?

Because Akamai is piece of shit CDN for users in Asia unless you are in Japan or Singapore. And it's not ISP. It doesn't throttle P2P, XBL or anything else, why would it throttle Akamai CDN? The closes Akamai node is in Singapore, even tracert shows no packet loss and good latency, around 80-90ms. But it is slow as shit.

Xbox Live CDN on the other hand for me at least is MSFT Seattle server. Latency is 190-250ms, some packet drops but it still manages to pull at 25-70Mbps from it.

Iacobellis

After the recent changes to net neutrallity, some ISP are throttling Sony for movies and others throttling Microsoft for services beyond Windows Update.

I have to use Google DNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) because speeds are throttled on AT&T U-Verse.

Lettuce

Gif is real time:

Q031Cte.gif

BF4 update on PS4:

PS4 Fanboy in a XB1 update thread!!???...just goes to show his bored as has no games to play on his PS4 lol

Caayn

Gif is real time:

BF4 update on PS4:
I thought that Sony had fixed the speed issues of PSN with the PS4? At least that's the impression I get from reading these forums.

I'm quite happy with the XBL speeds, it maxes out my bandwith. And for some strange reason it even goes over it sometimes, I've got a 100Mbps subscription and manage to get 120Mbps with the Xbox One o_O

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Because Akamai is piece of shit CDN for users in Asia unless you are in Japan or Singapore. And it's not ISP. It doesn't throttle P2P, XBL or anything else, why would it throttle Akamai CDN? The closes Akamai node is in Singapore, even tracert shows no packet loss and good latency, around 80-90ms. But it is slow as shit.

Xbox Live CDN on the other hand for me at least is MSFT Seattle server. Latency is 190-250ms, some packet drops but it still manages to pull at 25-70Mbps from it.
ahh that sux man
PS4 Fanboy in a XB1 update thread!!???...just goes to show his bored as has no games to play on his PS4 lol

well young child im at work, so whatever... i look at alot of threads not just PS4 ones

I thought that Sony had fixed the speed issues of PSN with the PS4? At least that's the impression I get from reading these forums.

ya they have for me it craps all over PS3 for downloads (in AU on 100Mbit cable anyway) thats why i was so surprised at derpcrawlers speed

Got the update, much better than previous although I still think more work needs doing from a overall design perspective

Shout out to the folks who put my gamer tag forward, thanks guys

So a kind soul on Gaf put me forward for the update but it has been like three days now and I haven't received any message with a code yet. How long does this usually take?

FrankT

Ok extremely weird issue for me. I got the second update early yesterday, but hadn't had a chance to come back to the box since I updated.

Nothing is working. I go to a game, apps or store and it simply times outs.

Very weird.

I don't know if I need that third update or what but best be fixed soon.

derFeef

Ok extremely weird issue for me. I got the second update early yesterday, but hadn't had a chance to come back to the box since I updated.

Nothing is working. I go to a game, apps or store and it simply times outs.

Very weird.

I don't know if I need that third update or what but best be fixed soon.

Cold-boot your Xbox, it's a known issue also pre-update.

Gowans

The update is ok but can one party have people 6 people in where 2 groups of 3 people playing together. Do they get sucked into each other's games?

Also I really hope they add online or same game notification pop ups for favourited friends, with favourites is be ok with even more status notifications that on 360.

m23

Also I really hope they add online or same game notification pop ups for favourited friends, with favourites is be ok with even more status notifications that on 360.

They are adding back friend notifications back in after the march update. Not sure if its favourites or all friends but it's coming soon.

Agreed id love to see atleast when my favourite friends come online.

Update has been working steady for me. I have found since the update dead rising will start to boot up then kick me to the main screen. I'll run it again and it's fine

Orcus

Pretty sure this is false. I've heard of no such changes yet.

Defect

I noticed when I turned my Xbox One on twice yesterday, my account was already signed in. No Kinect or controller needed. Did they add auto sign in or is it just a glitch (a good one)?

see5harp

The complaints about guide button to open notification has been addressed. It now accepts the party or game invite automatically and also opens the achievement.

Gif is real time:

Q031Cte.gif

BF4 update on PS4:

I don't know man, no issues whatsoever with the PS4 here, downloads are always fast as on my PC. I use a wired connection though, maybe you use wifi? I heard PS4s wifi is shitty.

Majanew

Banned

So...why would you live there? :p

I was wondering why it was taking so long for you vs Xbox One download speeds when I saw your comparison. That sucks, man.

xkramz

So. Xbox oboe core services are having issues now..whatever that may be. I did a speed test via settings. And that's what it says. I'm assuming that's why I can't see my friends list since its down.

I got an invite, I stream during the weekends normally. Am I allowed to stream when I have this update? (not using the Xbox built in stream stuff. I would stream using my capture hardware.)

Or is there some sort of NDA prohibiting showing off this stuff?

sangreal

I got an invite, I stream during the weekends normally. Am I allowed to stream when I have this update? (not using the Xbox built in stream stuff. I would stream using my capture hardware.)

Or is there some sort of NDA prohibiting showing off this stuff?

there is no NDA

Glad I wasn't an X1 early adapter. Seems like all the kinks are starting to get ironed out. Traded in a ton of old gaming items, got my Titanfall X1 preorder paid off without dropping a dime. Still need to pick up that headset adapter, so I can use regular headphones like my ps4. Anybody know a release date for the adapter??

Xbudz

Did the feed always show every clip your friends record? I'm able to watch them without anything being uploaded. I guess it's uploading them behind the scenes?

Is this a bee feature or just something I missed?

Top Bottom