• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One March Update Impressions Thread [Now Available]

Can't wait to see friends notifications pop up in the next update after this one if that's the plan. The one feels a lot more solitary because of it

Also every time i restart a game I wonder why the Xbox ones game resume doesn't work like smart phones being only one game at a time. I really hope they get it in for multiple games.

According to that Kotaku leak prior to launch it was supposed to be for multiple games. Not instant switch, but saving your context and restoring it even between shutdowns (if you enter to sleep mode).

That and online matches set up in the cloud are two of my most anticipated features that I can't wait for Ms to bring.

Edit: Argh, I'm so stupid XD Sorry about the post combo.

Optical set to bitstream then dolby digital
5C3xlCv.jpg

BTW, which is better? DTS, Dolby or just 5,1 (I think it used to say uncompressed, but I dunno if does now)

MrBlonde

A little frustrated because I could not connect to a friend of mine in a party the past 2 nights. I just realized he might not be in the beta so I am hoping that is why we had the issue, I need to ask him. Not crazy about the friends list now. We also could not play Plants vs Zombies together either, not sure if that has anything to do with this but it was really annoying.

I hate having to back all the way out to the dash to see friends or party invites, I like having the option but they need to have the option to do it the way the 360 did as well

I hate having to back all the way out to the dash to see friends or party invites, I like having the option but they need to have the option to do it the way the 360 did as well

On the 360, you press the guide button, which reduces the view of the game running, and then select a menu item on the main screen to view Friends or party invite notifications.

On the Xbox One, you press the guide button, which reduces the view of the game running, and then select a tile on the main screen to view Friends or party invite notifications.

I've noticed this criticism a lot, but the phrasing of "backing all the way out to the dash" makes it seem like it's way more steps than it actually is. Sure, the visual progression of it is different, but it doesn't actually seem like it's more work for the user or anything.

see5harp

On the 360, you press the guide button, which reduces the view of the game running, and then select a menu item on the main screen to view Friends or party invite notifications.

On the Xbox One, you press the guide button, which reduces the view of the game running, and then select a tile on the main screen to view Friends or party invite notifications.

I've noticed this criticism a lot, but the phrasing of "backing all the way out to the dash" makes it seem like it's way more steps than it actually is. Sure, the visual progression of it is different, but it doesn't actually seem like it's more work for the user or anything.

Well before the update it did actually take longer to view messages, accept invites, and view achievements because holding the guide button would open the notification. They have it set up a lot better now.

Well before the update it did actually take longer to view messages, accept invites, and view achievements because holding the guide button would open the notification. They have it set up a lot better now.

I understand those new changes, but I thought the poster was referring to accessing those items generally, not specifically from the toasts/popups. You are correct, going from the notifications to those items, and also viewing achievements definitely has some much needed improvements.

I still haven't been able to force this update, pretty annoying.

Have you tried the brute force method?

Power on your console
Go to Settings -> Power
Switch from Instant On to Energy Saving mode
Make sure you got checked "Automatically download updates"
Turn off your console, and leave it off for 15-30 minutes (DON'T TURN OF WIFI/LAN CONNECTION AND DON'T PLUG OFF YOUR CONSOLE!)
Turn your console back on
Enjoy!
Your console should download the update automatically, but if it didn't then it should start updating when you restart it. There should be a green bar loading.

Ran Ran

Have you tried the brute force method?

Power on your console
Go to Settings -> Power
Switch from Instant On to Energy Saving mode
Make sure you got checked "Automatically download updates"
Turn off your console, and leave it off for 15-30 minutes (DON'T TURN OF WIFI/LAN CONNECTION AND DON'T PLUG OFF YOUR CONSOLE!)
Turn your console back on
Enjoy!
Your console should download the update automatically, but if it didn't then it should start updating when you restart it. There should be a green bar loading.

Yeah that's how I usually get it to update but its not working this time. Some people in this thread say you get a message saying they are about to push it out to you.

EvB

This has happened to me since the February update, I have Zoo Tyccon stuck on My Games, I click on install, doesn't work, and I can't delete it. i don't own the game, only downloaded the demo once, and I uninstalled it :(

Mine did the same, I formatted my xbox and redownloading everything. That did the trick.

derFeef

Windows Phone and Win 8 app updated for me a few days ago, not checked Android yet.
I needed to re-install both though, as those crashed when I looked at my friendslist.

Windows Phone and Win 8 app updated for me a few days ago, not checked Android yet.
I needed to re-install both though, as those crashed when I looked at my friendslist.

My Surface Smartglass works fine, but I get the same crash when viewing Friends on my Lumia. Must be a bug.

Caayn

Yes, you have to uninstall and reinstall for WP users.
Could just update, no crashes so far.

Come on MS it's time you released this app in every country with access to the store. I shouldn't need to switch to a tier 1 country just to update smartglass.

Ape

Banned
Could just update, no crashes so far.

Come on MS it's time you released this app in every country with access to the store. I shouldn't need to switch to a tier 1 country just to update smartglass.

Strange, multiple WPs and all did the same thing here.

just to be clear, it's specifically when you check your friends list.

Ade

I too had to uninstall and reinstall WP8 Smartglass. Without fail going to my friends list killed the app.

Caayn

The notifications for the smartglass app are surprisingly fast. Now only if we could have the number of messages/notifications displayed on the lock screen just like e-mails and SMS.
Strange, multiple WPs and all did the same thing here.

just to be clear, it's specifically when you check your friends list.
Strange, no problems here. On a Lumia 920 with WP8 Black.

Scooby

I need this update NOW, sucks not being able to play with any of my friends since I don't have it. I also want to stream

Caught Major Nelson streaming PvZ on Twitch. The quality looked REALLY good.
Good to hear. I wonder if there will be any manual control over your stream quality or if the app will just handle automatically based on your connection.
My Glass is updated too... on Windows 8 PC. Friends list and activity feed are reversed and different. It's nice. I didn't update my PC, must of updated on it's own.
Windows 8.1 apps update automatically.

A little frustrated because I could not connect to a friend of mine in a party the past 2 nights. I just realized he might not be in the beta so I am hoping that is why we had the issue, I need to ask him. Not crazy about the friends list now. We also could not play Plants vs Zombies together either, not sure if that has anything to do with this but it was really annoying.

you can just say xbox accept when u get a party invitation

JLck

According to that Kotaku leak prior to launch it was supposed to be for multiple games. Not instant switch, but saving your context and restoring it even between shutdowns (if you enter to sleep mode).

That and online matches set up in the cloud are two of my most anticipated features that I can't wait for Ms to bring.

Edit: Argh, I'm so stupid XD Sorry about the post combo.

Doesn't the Xbox One already matchmake in the cloud? It's not great but it says 'we've found a game for your party. Hold Xbox button to accept.'

Spasm

you can just say xbox accept when u get a party invitation
I don't have any friends, so I don't know for certain, but can't you do all your invites, messages, parties, etc. from the snapped version of the Friends app?

Major Nelson streaming eh? Maybe soon we will get an update to start streaming to :).
I'm looking forward to giving it a go some time in the next couple of days too, but I am terrible at gaming so it should be most amusing for everyone else. Probably will stream some FIFA action.

I don't have any friends, so I don't know for certain, but can't you do all your invites, messages, parties, etc. from the snapped version of the Friends app?

I think Friends is full screen only so I guess you mean snapped party app? I'd have to check but I think to invite people you need to go fullscreen

Good to hear.

And now we wait for the first dev to "accidentally" leak new games, options, content, etc.

It's already happened on my friends list.

Someone was playing Project Rosewood, which after some investigation led me to put 10+10 to get 100.

Rosewood Cotage in Fable, Project Rosewood=Fable Legends.

May just be some code name for an app, who knows. If anyone knows feel free to PM me so I can leak it and be famous, thanks.

Top Bottom