• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Preview Update August 2014 (1408)

Surprised that MS managed to get 3D blu-ray support before the company that is part of the Blu-ray association.

After a small July update MS returns to pumping out big updates.

The snarky side of me is making the assumption that Sony Computer Entertainment is just following the logical progression of being "For the Gamers", and are intentionally putting media features pretty low on the list of things to implement. They've been pretty adamant about appealing to the "I bought a game console to play games, not watch TV TV TV Blu-Ray Netflix" crowd. At least, early on.

Of course, someone can easily make the argument that implementing media features like 3D Blu-ray doesn't automatically mean that you no longer care about gamers, and that Sony should be a big enough company to be able to handle both
which is what I would also say when people would poke fun at MS for being too media focused

Whenever they get the screenshot feature, they should allow us to crop an area of the screenshot to make a gamerpicture.

animated GIFs as profile pics please

if GAF won't let me have it, maybe MS will!

Defect

Also for taking a picture, maybe they could make it so if you hold the guide button the screenshot option would appear in the power menus. Or hold the guide and another button. Or just have a screenshot button on the home screen or in the snapped game DVR.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Its a nice update but not really much I particularly wanted, the friends tab is nice. Screenshot, themes, patch notes for updates...

Pre-ordering and pre-loading was also pretty important too and considering it was mentioned by Insomniac (I assume they didn't do it without MS permission) I was expecting it to be there...

They probably moved preloading to September because there isn't anything to preload until then. :p

EvB

Also for taking a picture, maybe they could make it so if you hold the guide button the screenshot option would appear in the power menus. Or hold the guide and another button. Or just have a screenshot button on the home screen or in the snapped game DVR.

That's how they were doing it for people who had screenshot functionality for the earlier dashboard previews.

3D Blu-rays! FINALLY!

*EDIT*
Woah. Many great features!

I'll take this but I really wanted digital preorders. Maybe that is more of a store update than a firmware update anyways.

Now I can finally move my PS3 into the Bedroom and bring out my Wii U.

EvB

It's too slow though; they should just make it hold the view button or something. Don't want to have to use a menu

And break the games that want to be able to do the same?

If you want speed you go for kinect, the kinectless way of recording video clips is slow too.

Gowans

or they can just use the sync button, just click it 2 times and it should take the picture.
man!!! Microsoft should hire me :D i would give them good ideas :/ lol

bd57d49b-fdad-483d-9dde-7c39e4f83d00.png
That is an amazing idea

I always thought it would have had to be a smart glass button

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Perfect timing. I sold my PS3 just last week to get an Xbox One knowing I'd had to give up 3D Blu-ray for a little while. Turns out it's only for about a week!

Hopefully this will push Sony to move quicker in adding features. Didn't they add a bunch of developers to their OS team recently?

They doubled the size of their OS team recently. He starts on Monday I think.

They probably moved preloading to September because there isn't anything to preload until then. :p

Oh snap. I have a feeling preloading will not be a feature in the preview. It will likely rollout in the full August update. Think of it this way, the remote purchasing is all that needed to be tested for issues. This is essentially preloading, they just upload the game when it goes gold and it is available to download.

You really can't preview preloading as its server side. The remote downloading is the key as it is essentially testing waking up the box.

Just my 2 cents.

Speaking of SmartGlass buttons. Why the hell isn't there an option to save a clip through SmartGlass. Just have the thing open while your playing and then when something cool happens you can decide to record a minute, three minutes or whatever without awkwardly having to snap the thing first.
SmartGlass has some hidden potential.

or they can just use the sync button, just click it 2 times and it should take the picture.

This is actually pretty genius. ATM, just tapping the Sync button doesn't do anything (at least, it doesn't seem to), so you wouldn't even have to double click.

Salz01

I'm actually blown away xBone gets 3d playback before sony ps4. Like what is Sony thinking? They pushed 3D hard last gen and now don't say why or when the ps4 is getting it. Come the fuck on.....

JaggedSac

They need to add

Background music
Preloading
Cortana
Snapped app for my interests - stock quotes, weather, RSS feeds, podcasts, etc.

Cool things to add

Say, Xbox Record Last 2 minutes.

Using body and voice for media playback. Xbox, Pause until I get back. Etc.

Video commenting, maybe a video app that bubbles up favorite, popular community vids.

theDeeDubs

I wish they would just let us use our FB profile pic like on PS4 to be honest. I'm just kind of tired of the whole avatar and username thing. Just prefer to use my real name.

Anyway, double tapping "back" could easily be incorporated as a share button, but when you start having too many things like that many people don't even realize it's possible. It is nice to have, but I don't like how it replaced the select on the DS4. I hit it way too often out of habit when trying to access a map or menu. I honestly just hate the whole touch pad set up and anything it's been shoehorned into to be honest.

True, but Diablo and Metro are August, Destiny is early September... these monthly previews are usually early into the month before (August one in mid-July etc) so theres probably still time for the September one to be tested and then released before Destiny comes out

I'll take this but I really wanted digital preorders. Maybe that is more of a store update than a firmware update anyways.

Now I can finally move my PS3 into the Bedroom and bring out my Wii U.

Agree with the store rather than firmware. Like I said in my post above digital preordering looks to be in the full August rollout (pre-Destiny) the remote downloading was likely the key and it will be there.

Think of it this way, how to you publicly preview preloading? You can't. But you can publicly preview and fix remote downloading which is what will happen when you preorder a game. Once it goes Gold, the server can ping your Xbox to turn on and download the file.

The PS3 and 360 came at a point where gaming consoles were going through a huge transformation in what we expected from them. Even on the previous platforms, most of the experience was "put game in, play game". Suddenly, consoles were also supposed to have a depth of online features, media options, digital stores, social elements, and plenty of other things that were relatively new to the space. Those consoles needing to find their way in what all of that means totally made sense.

At this point, a lot of that has been figured out, and does not or should not need to be re-learned. That features that are basic and core to the console experience were missing on both platforms was (and still is) pretty inexcusable to me.

Yes, making a new OS is hard, but that doesn't mean that you can just say core functions are something you'll get to later, or worse, expect people won't demand them from the start. It's like releasing a smartphone in 2014 that can't handle texting, or doesn't have a means for organizing apps, or has no options for media playback. "But we're just getting off the ground" doesn't work as an excuse at that point. Time moves on, and the expectation for what the minimal amount of functionality must be at launch does too.

Agreed, for the most part. Xbox One and PS4 were both rushed to market before they were ready, and both only had basic functionality to go along with them. IMO, both Microsoft and Sony should have waited a year to make sure the feature set of their new consoles matched their old ones, but that didn't happen. It is what it is.

Microsoft does, however, get props for adding those features back as quickly as possible. Sony's dragging their feet and they just got bested with 3D Blu-Ray playback. Something tells me someone's ass at Sony just got put into the fire for that one. We'll most likely see a sudden PS4 update with that functionality within the next month.

weeeeezy

Banned
Great update, but it seems like we might not be getting the friends tab in August if I understood the video correctly. I hope that's not the case...

Kampfheld

Banned
Great update, but it seems like we might not be getting the friends tab in August if I understood the video correctly. I hope that's not the case...

Only preview. Official release "when the beta testers are happy with it".

Major Nelson said:
Expanded Friends area on Home: Right from Home, see what’s going on with your friends. Stay up-to-date with their current activity, the top trending games your friends are playing, and a leaderboard to see who has been working the hardest on their Gamerscore. We’re doing an extended preview on this, rolling it into the early access preview this month to a subset of our preview audience so we can refine it until it’s ready for the entire Xbox One market.

CanaryRob

Would love an invite if anyone has any spare. Really want to try out the new friend's tab, does seem like something that's been missing from the dash.

nillapuddin

yet again, solid update.

my phone says 53 days until Destiny, I believe it is imperative for Xbox One's to have preloading for that title, but not hugely necessary before then. Lets just hope remote que'ing is paving the roadway for it, and it works well, thats the most important part.

sethcheek

For me, this latest update will be the last of the features I wanted to make it my Xbox my single Home Theater box. 3D Blu-Ray support was my last holdout. (So long PS3.) All the other features now are icing on the cake.

Microsoft in second place is making for some really interesting developments, including these impressive, fan-steered updates.

JaggedSac

For me, this latest update will be the last of the features I wanted to make it my Xbox my single Home Theater box. 3D Blu-Ray support was my last holdout. (So long PS3.) All the other features now are icing on the cake.

Microsoft in second place is making for some really interesting developments, including these impressive, fan-steered updates.

I do think their negative public perception is driving them to try harder than they would have otherwise to implement fan driven requests.

jobrro

Happy about the 3D Blu-rays the most, remote downloading being the second best thing.

As long as preloading comes out before Sunset Overdrive I will be a very happy camper.

Each month when these previews come out it makes me wonder WTH Sony are currently working on. PS4 is my "go to" console for the gen thus far, but it's unbeliveable some of the functions still missing from the PS4 8 months after launch (still can't pause downloads...what?). Microsoft's transparency and frequency with updates has been great, and it looks like many of the functions being added are ones with many votes on Xbox Feedback which is even better.

I have both a PS4 and Xbox One and play the PS4 quite a bit more... but I'll be damned if Microsoft isn't destroying Sony when it comes to the system updates. They've been great at supporting it and updating it quickly. Now they just need to get more games on the system.

Whenever they get the screenshot feature, they should allow us to crop an area of the screenshot to make a gamerpicture.

Just did it.

While I think this is a good idea, I think they would have to limit this feature to everything outside of M rated games and movies for obvious reasons. I don't want my family to see a bunch of boobs and hairy butts and penises popping up on the TV all the time, 3D or otherwise.

Those requests on the official forums is rigged. Can't believe y'all would fall for it.

There's no way 3D support has more requests than a screenshot feature.

I refuse to believe it's not rigged. MS are blates pushing the features that are coming now higher than those coming later to give the appearance they are listening to the fanbase.

I ain't falling for it. I'm onto MS. I will make it my mission this weekend to expose your underhanded shenanigans.

Scratch that, I'm busy this weekend. Let's make it next weekend.

Those requests on the official forums is rigged. Can't believe y'all would fall for it.

There's no way 3D support has more requests than a screenshot feature.

I refuse to believe it's not rigged. MS are blates pushing the features that are coming now higher than those coming later to give the appearance they are listening to the fanbase.

I ain't falling for it. I'm onto MS. I will make it my mission this weekend to expose your underhanded shenanigans.

Scratch that, I'm busy this weekend. Let's make it next weekend.

tumblr_mdnzqqEsCq1rskga0o1_r1_400.gif

WHY DID WE HAVE TO ASK FOR IT

Because the controller already starts flashing when the battery is low, and if you hit the home button, you can check the battery meter on screen, however some people still wanted something to pop up on screen telling you that the battery is low.

Personally it was fine as is, but if some people like cluttering notifications, then the more options the better. Hopefully I can turn that off.

statham

This is a great idea, and no double tap as you rarely have to re-sync the controller. Tap for screenshot, long press 3-5 seconds to sync. I

Love that 3D support!

Now if they let me link my ultraviolet acct to Xbox Video, I wouldn't mind having two or three of these systems in the house.

It sucks having to switch between Xbox video and VUDU to browse my cloud based movies.

Wow nice. I think they will just roll out preloading without a preview.
I like that they're able to add a new tab on the home screen so easily. The friends tab and activity feed is promising, maybe something I'll use.

Top Bottom