• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Preview Update August 2014 (1408)

Skele7on

Banned
Its coming in the NEXT preview update (August). We should get it in a week or so.

yeah just saw via my settings then it clicked....

I'm off to bed I have been doing DestingGAF requests farrrr too long,

I apologies for being a dumb ass all, I will see myself out.

Even happier about this update though, mobile buy and notification update made my day.

Bsigg12

Does MS updates OS features every month? Why doesn't Sony have something like this? They are really behind with PS4 OS features.

They have since launch. July was a little lighter in the features but they fixed a lot of little issues. August's update is pretty hefty and I expect September to be large as well since that's when they're launching in 29 more countries.

GVA1987

Battery notification is fantastic news. Not sure I'll ever use all these social features the consoles are going for.

link1201

There are quite a few issues that have been fixed that will be included in the 1408 update as well.

This is a statement from an official staff member posted in the Xbox Preview Forums .

I think they should also make notifications less intrusive.

When I'm watching anime and 3 friends come online, IT'S A JOKE.

Takes up a lot of the bottom of your screen and I have found that sometimes they literally do not go until the timer runs out and it's really annoying.

I miss the 360 ones Top left hand corner....
In this update they are giving options to disable all notifications when viewing video :p

Also, it's not very known, but "Xbox, hide notification" works and it's a very useful command ^^

gogogow

I don't have an Xbox One, but MS are really doing a great job with the firmware updates. Outside of January, they haven't missed a month and every firmware update is a huge one.

WTH is Sony doing? Their last real update was from April, three fucking months ago. That is just pathetic.

RoKKeR

They have since launch. July was a little lighter in the features but they fixed a lot of little issues. August's update is pretty hefty and I expect September to be large as well since that's when they're launching in 29 more countries.
And that's when their big exclusives start to hit. I'm betting September and October will be pretty substantial.

Additionally, Microsoft feel free to add game-related gamerpics and themes at any time now.

I don't have an Xbox One, but MS are really doing a great job with the firmware updates. Outside of January, they haven't missed a month and every firmware update is a huge one.

WTH is Sony doing? Their last real update was from April, three fucking months ago. That is just pathetic.

Lack of updates certainly makes it seem like they don't feel they need to work very hard on new features, because the console is still selling more than Microsoft's without them having to put forth any effort to improve it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

This is par for the course since the original Xbox released. Microsoft changed the interface of 360 something like 3 times... though the way MS has set up their system this time has allowed them to do major incremental updates... basically works like a proper OS these days.

It's quite possible that the X1 may be more feature rich 2 years in than the 360 at end of life... especially if they get the marketplace (open development) and media playback in before then.

Lack of updates certainly makes it seem like they don't feel they need to work very hard on new features, because the console is still selling more than Microsoft's without them having to put forth any effort to improve it.

That's not why and this is getting tiring. Selling more doesn't mean the entire software department is on vacation. And why is it with every single Xbox update thread, there are always post that talk about what Sony is doing? Sony is not the topic here.

Either way, this a good update and I wish I was in the preview to test it. But nonetheless Microsoft is doing what it does best, software.

That's not why and this is getting tiring. Selling more doesn't mean the entire software department is on vacation. And why is it with every single Xbox update thread, there are always post that talk about what Sony is doing? Sony is not the topic here.

Either way, this a good update and I wish I was in the preview to test it. But nonetheless Microsoft is doing what it does best, software.

It's difficult to have a discussion about the extreme abundance of updates from one without thinking somewhat about the extreme lack of updates from the other. Besides, it's something that I'm sure is on a lot of minds and will continue to be as things progress.

It's difficult to have a discussion about the extreme abundance of updates from one without thinking somewhat about the extreme lack of updates from the other. Besides, it's something that I'm sure is on a lot of minds and will continue to be as things progress.

But this is Microsoft's thread about what they are bringing to their system. This isn't about what Sony isn't doing. And it's not like we know what Sony is doing to be making these baseless comments such as, "Well they are selling more so they don't care." I don't even know how anyone comes to that point. Did I miss the press release when they fired the whole staff and said screw updating the features? I didn't think so.

All in all, it's a great update and I'm not thinking about what Sony is doing right now. It is surprising to see 3D on the Xbox before the PS4, but either way, it's good for the people who want it. If anything, at least I know that Microsoft are looking at ways to streamline the process if the OS so it isn't so disjointed, especially adding that friends tab. I would say that's a feature I like, including being able to comment on your friends updates.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
That is an amazing idea

I always thought it would have had to be a smart glass button

yeah, it actually would be :D

This is actually pretty genius. ATM, just tapping the Sync button doesn't do anything (at least, it doesn't seem to), so you wouldn't even have to double click.

yeah thats true

Put this on Xbox feedback stat!

yeah i need to anyone have a link :/

This is a great idea, and no double tap as you rarely have to re-sync the controller. Tap for screenshot, long press 3-5 seconds to sync. I

yeah that too, ohh and check this out guys, i know people don't have a kinect, well that sync button can be used like this.

1. Hold button to sync controller or connect it with a usb cable.
2. press once to take a screenshot.
3 double tap to record clip.

yeah, it actually would be :D

yeah thats true

yeah i need to anyone have a link :/

yeah that too, ohh and check this out guys, i know people don't have a kinect, well that sync button can be used like this.

1. Hold button to sync controller or connect it with a usb cable.
2. press once to take a screenshot.
3 double tap to record clip.

https://xbox.uservoice.com/

Post a link to the suggestion page, I'll throw you a vote.

Why can't the view button on the controller be used for screenshots or like the share button on the Dualshock 4? The view button as it stands doesn't really serve a purpose IMO

Dota 2 confirmed?
pn17juf.png

pixlexic

Banned
Mobile purchase: One of the most requested features on Xbox Feedback. Using Xbox SmartGlass or on Xbox.com, you can remotely purchase games and Add-on content. No more waiting to begin downloading when you get home – if your console is set to automatically take updates, your console will begin downloading your purchase.

yes! This is something I wanted really badly.

arhra

Why can't the view button on the controller be used for screenshots or like the share button on the Dualshock 4? The view button as it stands doesn't really serve a purpose IMO

It serves the same random grab-bag of purposes that the select/back buttons have served for decades, and games actively use it, so having the OS yank it out from under them would kinda break things.

As far as that sync button suggestion goes, I have a feeling that the system never even gets signalled that it's been pressed, it purely puts the controller into search mode and activates the LED signal that the Kinect can pick up to put the console into search mode automatically. There's never anything sent to the console.

Then again, they can patch the firmware on the controller, so maybe they could completely rewrite how it handles the sync button.

I suspect an addition to the power off overlay or double-tap snap panel are more likely solutions, though (and if handled correctly, doesn't have to have any lag on when a screenshot is taken - you could just preemptively take the screenshot when the console gets the initial button-down signal, which should be just about instant, then discard it if the user doesn't go to save a screenshot).

I want them to change how pause works in the blu-ray player. When you pause a bar pops up that takes up a third of the screen with no way to get a clear paused image. Want to appreciate the head pop in the Scanner's Criterion blu :p

It serves the same random grab-bag of purposes that the select/back buttons have served for decades, and games actively use it, so having the OS yank it out from under them would kinda break things.

As far as that sync button suggestion goes, I have a feeling that the system never even gets signalled that it's been pressed, it purely puts the controller into search mode and activates the LED signal that the Kinect can pick up to put the console into search mode automatically. There's never anything sent to the console.

Then again, they can patch the firmware on the controller, so maybe they could completely rewrite how it handles the sync button.

I suspect an addition to the power off overlay or double-tap snap panel are more likely solutions, though (and if handled correctly, doesn't have to have any lag on when a screenshot is taken - you could just preemptively take the screenshot when the console gets the initial button-down signal, which should be just about instant, then discard it if the user doesn't go to save a screenshot).

Yeah you make a good point. The sync button is in an awkward position with finger placement to be used for screenshots. The button has to be easily accessible for those who want to quickly take screenshots. How about double tapping the view button to screenshot?

But this is Microsoft's thread about what they are bringing to their system. This isn't about what Sony isn't doing.

Ordinarily, I would agree with you. But now we've come to the point where Microsoft has enabled a technology of Sony's own creation that is strangely missing from their own next gen console.

And it's not like we know what Sony is doing to be making these baseless comments such as, "Well they are selling more so they don't care." I don't even know how anyone comes to that point. Did I miss the press release when they fired the whole staff and said screw updating the features? I didn't think so. .

I think you mistook what I had said. I didn't come right out and say that they don't care. I'm saying they're kind of giving off the impression that adding features to their console isn't as high of a priority to them as selling the consoles themselves. And I think, under the circumstances, that warrants a bit of discussion. I'm certain people inside Sony are discussing it.

Great update. Very happy Microsoft continues to tweak the ui till they perfect it. Getting better every month and not the other way around. Then again it started off so bad that it has no where else to go.

Top Bottom