• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Scaling Chip Improvements in February Update (No more sharpening filter!)

Toki767

Can't wait for someone who doesn't know what they're talking about mention how Microsoft got some untapped power and suddenly games look nicer than they used to with this update lol

Amir0x

Banned
Which complaints you have left? Just curious.

If you're just talking about the scaler, the black levels. If you mean the entire thing:

I don't want to risk this thread becoming about me, but here's a list I made. They're basic level improvements and I have an even longer list I haven't put on GAF, but those are the ones I need to feel comfortable when I get the system. After that it's things that can't be fixed with updates - kinect, $299.99, and everything being behind paywall.

A good many of these problems have already been fixed with the February update. It's quite rad, I can't wait to try it out at my friend's house tomorrow.

Not sure if this has been asked but how do I get the update? i cold rebooted my xbox one and still dont have any data management option or any other noticeable changes =(

Etnos

Banned
Uhhmm.. Wow you guys were not kidding about this!, Ghost and BF4 look less shitty now. They kind of look like 360 with steroids... I can live with that, no problem.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
And Killer Instinct :

0ce83a1c-4e72-465e-9733-d6cbe0cc4f2a.jpg

05a19faf-65df-4eb1-8a4b-d71151bc7fff.jpg

05605138-1f30-4624-90dd-5fb8aff9fd50.jpg

bd4df658-5e08-46e5-8b6e-7889c54849cd.jpg

838d3b3a-2dbc-4436-9e80-398a7f8d9958.jpg

ce5d9f2f-fe82-4d34-8f3b-c39201f08663.jpg

be7b1079-64d9-4c78-b9db-32c636e0dafa.jpg

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dead Rising 3 will probably benefit the most from this. Glad they removed it, not sure why they had it in the first place.

I wish there was a comparison with older pics before the update. Whoever did not download the update should play some games and take pics and then update and compare them here.

Jomjom

Banned
I wonder if MS is going to get a load of complaints now. I remember a large portion of Xbone fans claiming that the Xbone versions of games looked better because of that sharpening filter.

Now watch casuals complain that the graphics suddenly got worse and they don't know why.

edit: JomJom got there before I did.

side note: Just like the silly "bring back DRM" there could be a "bring back the sharpening filter" campaign.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Omg everything looks worse now

COME AT ME BROS

havent actually installed the update yet, looking forward to it

It's been done 3 posts above yours :D

True just saw that lol, but I don't see a big difference if any. I hope someone can replicate that picture exactly so we can tell how big the difference is. I put in DR3 excited that the filter was gone and I couldn't tell a difference, made me a sad panda.

Vitanimus

Hooray! I still can't condone a lot of Microsoft's actions they've taken with the direction of the Xbone, but at least they listen, which is always a good thing.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Can't wait for someone who doesn't know what they're talking about mention how Microsoft got some untapped power and suddenly games look nicer than they used to with this update lol

Which would be irony at it's best because it's the sharpening filter that enabled some people to suggest 'the x1 games look crisper somehow'.

Mononoke

Banned
So happy the sharpening filter was removed. I remember it was a struggle talking about it because so many people insisted it was fine or that it was our TVs.

ElfArmy177

Thank God! I was afraid Killer instinct wouldnt look like shit anymore. Good thing it just looks like blurred shit now.... ;)

Mononoke

Banned
Is there anyway to check for updates? My xbox one is doing nothing while many claim to have the updates >.>

Completely shut down your Xbox. Hard reboot it, then turn back on. Then put it in suspension mode (Xbox Turn Off). Wait 5 min. When your power brick blinks white it means the update is ready to install. Take it out of sleep (Xbox On) and install it.

You should be able to see what version your xbox is in the settings section. (Settings > System> Console Info. You are looking at the Xbox-System OS) That's one way to compare it to latest update #

So..if yours isn't that, it's not updated yet.

EDIT: Doesn't seem to be working this time though. Hmmm. Someone claimed that they turned their Xbox on and off over and over using voice commands, after messing with network settings, and it finally downloaded it. But who knows, maybe this time the update just hits people randomly, and you can force it. *shrugs*

The only good thing about having a 720p 32'' LED HDTV is that I've never had to worry about sub-1080p resolutions and upscaling artifacts... (I wonder how the X1 will handle downscaling, though...)

Great news. As always, if you want to sharpen, you can. Those of us that didn't want it will now no longer have it foisted on us.

Victory!

Mononoke

Banned
how do u install the new update

Well, this worked last time:

Completely shut down your Xbox. Hard reboot it, then turn back on. Then put it in suspension mode (Xbox Turn Off). Wait 5 min. When your power brick blinks white it means the update is ready to install. Take it out of sleep (Xbox On) and install it.

Not sure if it will work this time. Also, I should mention this method worked last time if you have your Xbox One set up to work with "Xbox Off" (the suspension mode).

EDIT: Doesn't seem to be working this time though. Hmmm. Someone claimed that they turned their Xbox on and off over and over using voice commands, after messing with network settings, and it finally downloaded it. But who knows, maybe this time the update just hits people randomly, and you can force it. *shrugs*

RoKKeR

WOW. So there's a chance it's placebo but AC4 looks much better now. It used to just look so sharp, harsh, and grainy but now everything is much softer/smoother. I'm probably seeing a bigger change than there actually was but it definitely looks like it has been scaled back in terms of crazy over sharpening.

It is sort of feels like there is less aliasing almost, definitely makes a difference.

Top Bottom