• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Scaling Chip Improvements in February Update (No more sharpening filter!)

To me this shows that Microsoft is legitimately listening in the post-Mattrick era. I'm genuinely excited to see what happens the next couple of months.

I came into this gen expecting to buy both, but then was turned off. The fact they are listening to the masses in a good way leads me to believe I will be picking one up later this year since my credit card will have enough rewards points by then to pick up a good $300 in Gamestop gift cards.

It's never going to be the more powerful machine, but the exclusives and other things it does well will make it worth it in my eyes.

Norml

Hmm, KI sharpening version on the background, like you can clearly see the grid on the old one but not anymore.

That is a pretty big loss of detail in the background.

APNG
bbqqk4t.png

glaurung

Odd choice from MS side. It would have made more sense to enhance the filter, not remove it altogether.

That detail degradation in the KI shot is pretty profound.

Fuck, I am so tempted to buy an Xbox One, and I'm not really sure why. I want my Halo, Sunset Overdrive, etc...

I really have to hold out for that $399.99 model, or it'll be the death of me.

If you want to hold out for the $400 model, then I see no reason not to. Those games you listed won't be out until the Fall, so plenty of time.

thelastword

Banned
TVs have a Sharpness setting for the people who like that crap. It should never be enabled by default.
I agree, I'm no fan of the artificial sharpener, just letting persons know that if they couldn't notice resolution differences before it would become even more apparent now.

Jomjom said:
By "softer" you mean what it's supposed to look like when you up-rez a sub-native HD game instead of making it look even worse by applying an artificial sharpening filter right?

I hope you realize that if you prefer you can just turn your TV or monitor's sharpness setting to maximum and ruin your eyes.

The way MS had it set, people who didn't like the sharpening couldn't "unsharpen" it.
I understand, but persons were never seeing the image as soft/blurry as it is now, despite the weird artifacting which the filter caused, it was still a sharper image.

Dreams-Visions said:
They are softer, but not blurry. And it is a clear improvement.

If it's softer it is blurrier, the reason I made that statement is because most of the comparison screens posted shows that outright, now you could only imagine how stark the differences between native shots and sub-hd shots will be from here on out. Of course we all know that the filter only affected sub-hd games.

Azula said:
It is what it is. If the game looks blurry, that's the flaw of the systems hardware. I would much rather the game look natural, vs overly harsh sharpening effects that make things look jaggy (on top of the crushed blacks).

The filter didn't make it look better.
Agreed.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Played some matches on Killer Instinct with the new update and its so much better. Going to try out Assassins Creed 4 then Dead Rising 3.

Were there any other games affected?

ss_lemonade

disagree...like i said before...if im watching a bluray movie on my tv...no scaling involved...

- crank the sharpness to 100....image is too sharp
- drop the sharpness to 0....image is soft not blurry

same principle applies here
Some older TVs though are not soft but just extremely blurry without a bit of sharpening. I once used a 480p/1080i RPTV and a DLP set that were both hopeless without applying a tiny bit of artificial sharpening.

This just shows KI being more blurry to me without the filter. Not that the sharpen filter was a good idea in the first place but upscaled 720p just leads to blurry image quality

thelastword

Banned
disagree...like i said before...if im watching a bluray movie on my tv...no scaling involved...

- crank the sharpness to 100....image is too sharp
- drop the sharpness to 0....image is soft not blurry

same principle applies here
Now that artificial sharpening is out of the picture we will be looking at differences between sub native games and full hd games, one will be crisp and one will be blurrier in comparison. Red dead is crisp on the 360 because it's native 720p, it's blurrier on PS3 because it's sub-hd, calling it softer does not lessen the visual impact in clarity.

Spasm

Just loaded DR3 and yay! The sharpness no longer rakes its fingernails across my eyes. Yes, a bit softer but SO much better.

Metfanant

Now that artificial sharpening is out of the picture we will be looking at differences between sub native games and full hd games,

1. They are only "sub-native" if youre on a 1080p set...
2. Yes, i agree...but the games on the Xbone were already blurry...but the edges were overly sharp...but still blurry...now they have SOFT, more natural edges...while ALSO remaining blurry...

one will be crisp and one will be blurrier in comparison. Red dead is crisp on the 360 because it's native 720p, it's blurrier on PS3 because it's sub-hd,

Red dead would have been "blurry" for either version if you played it on a 1080p TV....just more so the PS3 version...there was more at play than resolution differences there though...

calling it softer does not lessen the visual impact in clarity.

im not CALLING it softer...im saying soft and blurry are completely different attributes...

its BLURRY because its a lower resolution..the edges were overly sharp because of the filter...those edges have now been SOFTENED because of the removal of the filter...

the upscaling blur was always there, and will always be there...we just now have normal, SOFTER edges

Ricky_R

the upscaling blur was always there, and will always be there...we just now have normal, SOFTER edges

I'm understand what you're saying, but people are just pointing out that with the sharpening effect, the upscale blur was less noticeable. Now, there's no sharpen so the image looks blurrier.

Can't wait for someone who doesn't know what they're talking about mention how Microsoft got some untapped power and suddenly games look nicer than they used to with this update lol

I'm sure misterxmedia will be on the case soon if he isn't already. Maybe something about a dGPU and hidden eSRAM.

Metfanant

I'm sure misterxmedia will be on the case soon if he isn't already. Maybe something about a dGPU and hidden eSRAM.

check the comments...one of his "insiders" called "parasite" has supposedly "confirmed" that there was a power increase and now there is "AA in the hardware" now....

HUELEN10

This is excellent news! Now I'm more excited about getting the One than ever! I have a question though. Can the One do systemwide overscan compensation like the Wii U? PS4 can't (we've found out in one of the threads that all it does is re-size UI layers so those don't get cutoff, but it's not the same as full every-layer systemwide compensation), but can the One? If it does, that's great. if it doesn't, any plans to patch the feature in?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm understand what you're saying, but people are just pointing out that with the sharpening effect, the upscale blur was less noticeable. Now, there's no sharpen so the image looks blurrier.
I use sharpening on the PC to balance out post AA but their implementation of it on the One was horrendous.

Noticed it right away playing ki, which looks a lot better . Powerstar golf (to me) looks worse. Haven't touched ghost's or cod yet. Probably won't either.

Delt31

d/l it now. I will report back on KI as I play that the most.

Edit - not a major improvement. blacks are still super crushed on KI with RGB full. Such a shame b/c ps4 rgb full looks great on the same tv.

Metfanant

Must talk to himself a lot then

now the "insider" says...that its not just an upscaler fix...there was optimization of the "first layer" (remember there is hidden unactivated hardware lol)...also that color depth has been improved...and he cant wait to see what the "stereo" driver does

i love that website!

muzzymate

Guess it varies from tv to tv. I have no crush like have no crush like that.

Agreed. I have my system set to "36 bit pixel depth" and "RGB Limited". On my Mitsubishi TV, I do not have a crushed black problem like that. I see a lot of detail where there is none in this picture.

Also, the turning off the sharpening filter has greatly improved KI's visuals. So glad they got rid of it!

RoKKeR

^^^ Reworking of the Friends/Party/Multiplayer system.

Finally got back into a game in Titanfall. You can tell the effects immediately. Everything is just smoother/cleaner now, much more pleasant on the eyes.

Really happy MS removed this.

Top Bottom