• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Summer Update Preview (Cortana, new Game Library, Win10 app, more)

sja_626

So does this Redstone/Anniversary preview allow you to activate dev mode on your console, or do you still have to enroll in a separate preview program for that?

If it is still separate how does the dev preview compare feature wise? I know it didn't originally but has it now got Cortana and the new Games & Apps? I'm keen to test out some of my stuff on Xbox but I don't really want to leave the current preview program in case I can't easily get back in.

SPDIF

If it is still separate how does the dev preview compare feature wise? I know it didn't originally but has it now got Cortana and the new Games & Apps? I'm keen to test out some of my stuff on Xbox but I don't really want to leave the current preview program in case I can't easily get back in.

Yes, and unlike the regular preview it allows you to test out the background music functionality (although you'll have to create your own app to do that). And from a development point of view there's now somewhat of a file picker on the Xbox. So unlike before when you called something like PickSingleFileAsync and nothing happened, you'll now get a basic looking file picker. Although for obvious reason it's limited to external drives only.

sja_626

Yes, and unlike the regular preview it allows you to test out the background music functionality (although you'll have to create your own app to do that). And from a development point of view there's now somewhat of a file picker on the Xbox. So unlike before when you called something like PickSingleFileAsync and nothing happened, you'll now get a basic looking file picker. Although for obvious reason it's limited to external drives only.

Nice! Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Does anyone have any idea whether the Dev preview is meant to be an ongoing thing or once Dev mode is rolled into the stable build (or even the preview build) the program will end?

Since the preview update I haven't been able to buy or download any games from the store. The buy/install button never loads. Everything else shows up on the store pages. It's annoying needing to use the web store or the Xbox app to buy everything I want :(

Bsigg12

So does this Redstone/Anniversary preview allow you to activate dev mode on your console, or do you still have to enroll in a separate preview program for that?

You just have to download the dev preview app.

Rembrandt

Banned

Does it have the ability to recognise a W10 PC's hard drive through wifi?

sja_626

You just have to download the dev preview app.

Yeah but you get the "Sorry, you are not able to be in two preview groups" message and are directed to unenroll from the preview program. I'm reluctant to give up my spot for fear of never getting back in.

Bsigg12

Yeah but you get the "Sorry, you are not able to be in two preview groups" message and are directed to unenroll from the preview program. I'm reluctant to give up my spot for fear of never getting back in.

Interesting, I wonder if that's just because the Lastest ring is on the Anniversary Update while the NXOE ring is not.

The Argus

Anyone else experiencing weird Kinect issues with the latest preview? Over time the light turns off and if open the Kinect tab in Settings all I see is a grey screen. Cortana also stops working when the Kinect goes dark.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Anyone else experiencing weird Kinect issues with the latest preview? Over time the light turns off and if open the Kinect tab in Settings all I see is a grey screen. Cortana also stops working when the Kinect goes dark.

Kinect is pretty much useless right now. It turns off and on.

RedRum

Banned
Dude. Just replaced my TV temporarily, got an update, and now Cortana is amazing. She's fast and VERY responsive. I'm impressed.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Inviting someone to a party works fine, but if I try to send a message "How are you?" to someone, she responds with "What did you say?". She only responds with that.

Inviting someone to a party works fine, but if I try to send a message "How are you?" to someone, she responds with "What did you say?". She only responds with that.

This has actually been one of the most responsive features for me... the key is not jumping the gun and asking 3 questions at once....

for example... dont ask "hey cortana write a message to bill that says how are you"

Instead...

...Say "Hey cortana, write a message" ...she responds with "sure whos the message for" say the persons name/GT. "sure what do you want to say" say whatever you want in the message.. she shows it back to you while asking "if this is right say send".... all that dialogue is not spot on obviously but thats the gist of what she says to you and what you need to say to her.... not saying this is your particular issue, just the issue ive seen most have.

Edit: Additionally i forgot to mention, you can pretty much be doing anything on your xbox while you have this brief back and forth with cortana ie playing games youtubing etc. atleast from my personal experience.

TheKeyPit

Banned
This has actually been one of the most responsive features for me... the key is not jumping the gun and asking 3 questions at once....

for example... dont ask "hey cortan write a message to bill that says how are you"

Instead...

...Say "Hey cortana, write a message" ...she responds with "sure whos the message for" say the persons name/GT. "sure what do you want to say" say whatever you want in the message.. she shows it back to you while asking "if this is right say send".... all that dialogue is not spot on obviously but thats the gist of what she says to you and what you need to say to her.... not saying this is your particular issue, just the issue ive seen most have.

I'm saying "Hey Cortana, write a message to xyz". She responds with "Sure what do you want to say". I say the message and she responds with "What did you say?".
It worked just fine one week+ ago.

RowdyReverb

Showing the download speeds has given me an appreciation for how fast their servers are. I just got "Inside" and the speed stuck to 50mbps most of the time

TheKeyPit

Banned
Showing the download speeds has given me an appreciation for how fast their servers are. I just got "Inside" and the speed stuck to 50mbps most of the time

There was a download speed indicator under the network settings before this wave of updates. Should still be there.

It's made me wonder why the Xbox One only uses 2/3 of my available bandwidth, but still manages to cripple the connection for anyone trying to do anything else online.

I used to have 8Mb, and the Xbox would download at 8Mb and cripple the connection.

I've upgraded to a 24Mb connection, and the Xbox downloads at 12-15Mb, but still cripples the connection.

I have the IP specified manually in network settings so I have the proper ports permanently forwarded to the Xbox and maintain an open NAT. I'm not sure if this could cause it to hog the connection and not let other devices get access, but if it's not even hitting max speeds, I don't know what's going on.

RowdyReverb

It's made me wonder why the Xbox One only uses 2/3 of my available bandwidth, but still manages to cripple the connection for anyone trying to do anything else online.

I used to have 8Mb, and the Xbox would download at 8Mb and cripple the connection.

I've upgraded to a 24Mb connection, and the Xbox downloads at 12-15Mb, but still cripples the connection.

I have the IP specified manually in network settings so I have the proper ports permanently forwarded to the Xbox and maintain an open NAT. I'm not sure if this could cause it to hog the connection and not let other devices get access, but if it's not even hitting max speeds, I don't know what's going on.
I don't think 50mbps reaches the cap that I pay for, but I'm accustomed to never actually hitting that speed. Comcast advertises the speeds as "up to", so I always figure I'll get less than that. Not really sure who to blame for non-optimized download speeds
There was a download speed indicator under the network settings before this wave of updates. Should still be there.
I didn't know that. I knew about the network test, but I didn't trust the results until I saw it on a real world application

BondFancy

I have a 200 megabits/sec and I only get around 60 download on Xbox, and that's using my 5 GHz band. At the same time my IPhone gets 225 megabits/sec, very bizarre...

I can't tell if it was because of the preview build, or just GameDVR's shittiness in general, but it completely refused to record what would have my best clip ever in R6 Siege. I don't like how clunky the PS4 record functionality is, but I have complete confidence that I can record 15 minutes of epicness if need be, whereas on Xbox if I ask it to record 5 minutes I'm lucky if it'll grab even 3 minutes instead of just ignoring the command entirely.

link1201

I got a new update tonight. I ran it now my Xbox is stuck flashing the light in the front. I'm afraid of rebooting it...sigh.

I guess I should just leave it?

The New Game Collection change sounds nice. It looks a lot better than what they have now.

Cortana sounds cool, too, but it's not something I need.

xBoNeAU

Neo Member
Hey All here are the new Changelog

DETAILS

OS version released: rs1_xbox_rel_1608.160629-2012
Available: 6:00PM PDT 7/1 (1:00AM GMT 2/7)

Thanks for helping us test the latest Xbox One update! We’re eager to show off the new features and experiences we’ve been working on. We’ve noted below a few important things to be aware of before you jump in.

• Certain content (games, apps, DLC) purchased in the new Store may only be available on consoles enrolled in the latest Preview update. This means…
• Games purchased on a console running the latest Preview update can only be played on that console or other consoles running the latest Preview update.
• Games purchased via Xbox.com can be played on any console.
• Games purchased on a console running the previous update can be played on any console.

• Certain parental control features aren’t functioning appropriately in the current build. As a result, we encourage users to exercise caution when letting children access a console that is using the latest Xbox One update until these issues are resolved.

• We’ve added several settings that are already found on Windows today. These include SmartScreen Filter, which sends URLs you visit in apps to Microsoft to check against a list of potentially harmful sites, and advertising ID, which helps Microsoft present you with more personalized ads in Universal Windows Apps. You can choose to turn these off and manage your preferences for how Xbox One uses your information in Settings.

NEW FEATURES

• Movies & TV
Purchasing and renting movies and TV shows is now enabled in the new Xbox Store, and playback of movies and TV shows is enabled in the new Movies & TV app. You can purchase or rent movies and TV shows in the Xbox Store (or the Windows Store or on MicrosoftStore.com), and use the new Movies & TV app to play back content.

When first launching the new Movies & TV app, you will be taken to the home screen which only displays a few items from your collection. To view your entire collection of movies and TV shows, move the left stick on your controller to the left to expose the side bar menu, and select "Movies" or "TV" to see your full collection. On the home screen of the new Movies & TV app, if you select a new movie or TV show to purchase or rent, you will be taken to the product details page in the Xbox Store to complete the purchase.

Movies & TV Known Issues:
• You may have to manually download the new Movies & TV app from the Xbox Store, and manually uninstall the old Movies & TV app.
• When searching in the Xbox Store for the new Movies & TV app, the app may be listed in the Xbox Store as "Films & TV".
• If you try to purchase or rent movies or TV shows from the old Movies & TV app, you will be prompted with an error.

FIXES

• Headset Controls
Resolved an issue preventing the headset controls from appearing in the Guide.

• Xbox Avatars
The Xbox Avatars app should no longer get stuck in the Queue when attempting to download an update.

• Movies & TV
When launching Movies & TV and attempting to play a video, the menu should no longer obstruct part of the screen.

• Microsoft Edge
While playing a video, pressing the left thumbstick to enter full screen mode should no longer cause Microsoft Edge to crash.

• NowTV
The NowTV app no longer fails to launch.

• OneDrive
OneDrive should no longer fail to launch.

• Narrator
Narrator should no longer lose focus when navigating the dashboard or Store.

• EA Access Games
Resolved an issue which prevented certain EA Access games from launching.

• Xbox Universal Store
The Coming Soon section is now available in the Store.

CURRENT KNOWN ISSUES

TOP ISSUES

• Xbox Universal Store
Users may still be able to purchase Xbox 360 backward compatible games from the Store without entering their password when their profile is set to “Lock It Down”.

GENERAL ISSUES

• Xbox Universal Store
• Token redemption for Xbox Live Gold fails.
• Store pages for purchased games and apps sometimes still show a “Buy” button rather than an “Install” button. If you encounter this issue, please submit feedback via Report a problem.
• Users may still be able to purchase movies and TV shows from the Store without entering their password when their profile is set to “Lock It Down”.
• The “Buy” button for games promoted through Deals with Gold may fail to launch the purchase page, and instead launch the Gold Lounge.

• Snap
Sometimes after powering on from connected standby and launching a full screen game or app, a black bar remains where content was previously snapped.
Workaround: Quit and relaunch the game or app, or, snap new content and unsnap it.

• Payments and Billing
• At this time it's not possible to add, edit, or remove payment options on the console. Please use Xbox.com or another console not enrolled in Redstone to manage payment options.
• At this time it’s not possible to remove or change payment information associated with pre-ordered games.

• Users are allowed one free Gamertag change per account. After using your one free Gamertag change, you will be charged for future Gamertag changes. In the current update, while your free Gamertag change will complete successfully, attempting to purchase a Gamertag change will charge your account, but will not change your Gamertag. Please avoid purchasing a Gamertag change on Xbox One at this time. To successfully change your Gamertag, visit https://account.xbox.com/ChangeGamertag.
• When selecting “Add new” to add a new profile, the add profile interface may take up to 30 seconds to appear.

• Cortana
• Cortana may take a longer than expected amount of time to use the play command.
• Searching the Xbox Universal Store via Cortana sometimes causes her to search the same keyword multiple times.
• Cortana may sometimes restart and indicate she is "Warming up..." even after recent use.

• Pins
If you have pins on your Home to movies, TV shows, or music, they will disappear from Home when that app takes its new app update. The pins for the apps will stay on your Home, easy to get to.

• My Games & Apps
You may encounter an error when attempting to load Ready to Install with a large number of digital games and apps.

• Community Calendar
Links to the Store in Community Calendar event details do not currently function.

Got the latest update tonight.. It totally reset my console!

It downloaded a 3gb file.. Then another gb.. Then I had to go through the whole setup process again.

Thankfully all my games are on external.. But weirdness.

01DragonFly

It downloaded a 3gb file.. Then another gb.. Then I had to go through the whole setup process again.

The same thing is happening to me right now, got a 500MB update then a 3GB one(downloading)

jmood88

Has anyone had problems with Games with Gold? I'm not able to download the free games, I'm only given the option to buy.

Edit: I was able to download Banner Saga 2 via smartglass but it won't work on the console itself.

link1201

I had a similar issue. I thought my console died. lol

Yoday

Has anyone had problems with Games with Gold? I'm not able to download the free games, I'm only given the option to buy.

Edit: I was able to download Banner Saga 2 via smartglass but it won't work on the console itself.
Pretty sure this is in the known issues list.

Cortana is running significantly better for me after the update. She is almost as fast as the "Xbox" commands now, but with far more accuracy. With this update I now have pretty high hopes for a fairly smooth Cortana launch a month from now.

Now to just finish up the store and polish up the stores game page navigation. Navigation still feels clunky in regards to where the cursor goes at times, which can make it easy to lose sight of where the cursor ends up.

josh924

Banned

I put it in my download history just now, from my console. The weird thing is that it actually charged me $0 (I even got the email for buying it). I'm not sure if that means that I legit own it or if it's some weird glitch with the preview.

On a totally unrelated note, my mic was cutting in and out last night. I could hear my friend the whole time, but my mic wasn't receiving my voice 90% of the time. Is it just the fact that it's one of the default mics or is it possibly another preview glitch?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
New update deactivated Cortana for good with German settings. Without bringing back the old Xbox voice commands. What a mess. It wasn't working good before but at least it was working. Now instead of fixing stuff they first deactivate "hey cortana turn off xbox" and now everything. "hey cortana" still works but it only brings up a screen that Cortana is not available here.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Cortana in Italian is totally fucked up.
There's no way to have it recognize "Si" (Yes) so everytime I want to turn off the Xbox it gets stuck at the confirm suspend state. It literally understand any foreign word like YES, OUI, JA while set to Italian but "Si" gets picked as "Se" (if), "Che" (what) and all other sorts of stuff! So freakin' frustrating! I wish we could choose to stay with the old "Xbox..." Kinect's voice commands, Cortana is a mess and so unnecessarily clunky (Hey Cortana, turn xbox off" instead of "Xbox, off" or "Xbox, on").

Where do I report this btw?

MrBenchmark

Cortana in Italian is totally fucked up.
There's no way to have it recognize "Si" (Yes) so everytime I want to turn off the Xbox it gets stuck at the confirm suspend state. It literally understand any foreign word like YES, OUI, JA while set to Italian but "Si" gets picked as "Se" (if), "Che" (what) and all other sorts of stuff! So freakin' frustrating! I wish we could choose to stay with the old "Xbox..." Kinect's voice commands, Cortana is a mess and so unnecessarily clunky (Hey Cortana, turn xbox off" instead of "Xbox, off" or "Xbox, on").

Where do I report this btw?

In the preview app on the system and or in the preview forums.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_early_access/update_preview/update_preview_forums/xosu_1606/default.aspx

jmood88

I got the new update and "Hey Cortana" is still broken. The Kinect can actually hear the command now but nothing else after that, aside from "stop listening".

Does anyone elses blu ray app appear off centre? I have a chunk cutoff left and top as the screen moves down and right and plays like nothing is wrong.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I got the new update and "Hey Cortana" is still broken. The Kinect can actually hear the command now but nothing else after that, aside from "stop listening".

Works great for me after having switched to English settings. She is responsive, she understands everything, she does what I want her to do. Maybe recalibrate your Kinect. And be sure to do it right. You're supposed to say "Hey Cortana do this" and not "Hey Cortana? ... Do this!"

Bessy67

I just tried to watch a movie and it said that an update failed to install for the blu-ray player app. I hit try again a couple times then decided to delete the app and download it again, but when I go to the store page for the blu-ray player app it says "This app is not compatible with this device". Shit.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Meanwhile, let's check in on the Sony department working on the PS4 library update:

giphy.gif

MORT1S

I just tried to watch a movie and it said that an update failed to install for the blu-ray player app. I hit try again a couple times then decided to delete the app and download it again, but when I go to the store page for the blu-ray player app it says "This app is not compatible with this device". Shit.

Yeah,

There are 2 listings for that app in the store for some reason. One says it's not compatible, but the other should work.

I think I ended up having to manually find it in the store, rather than using one of the shortcuts on the front pages

Bessy67

Yeah,

There are 2 listings for that app in the store for some reason. One says it's not compatible, but the other should work.

I think I ended up having to manually find it in the store, rather than using one of the shortcuts on the front pages
Oh, nice. I found the one that works. Thanks!

jmood88

Works great for me after having switched to English settings. She is responsive, she understands everything, she does what I want her to do. Maybe recalibrate your Kinect. And be sure to do it right. You're supposed to say "Hey Cortana do this" and not "Hey Cortana? ... Do this!"
Yeah, I was doing it wrong. It seems to work fine now.

Top Bottom