• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Summer Update Preview (Cortana, new Game Library, Win10 app, more)

Ade

I've turned her off now. Even when she hears volume commands the lag is astonishing.

Last night she binged for "volume down volume down volume" so its back to Xbox Volume Down which works perfectly and in milliseconds

Alx

To be fair I'm keeping her active only for two reasons :
- I want to be able to turn the console on and off by voice
- since I'm in the preview program, I'm supposed to do my part and help improve flawed stuff by using it. Especially with trained software like speech recognition.

I kept Cortana active for quite a while, despite her almost never working properly. Part of it was to continue testing, and part of it was me thinking, "if this is what they're going with from now on, I might as well get used to it. What if they eventually get rid of the Xbox commands?" After a while I just couldn't take it anymore, mostly for the reasons just described above, I reverted back to the Xbox commands.

Even if she worked perfectly, 100% of the time, I've found only 2 minor things that make her better.
1) "hey Cortana, invite XXXX to a party". When she recognizes the command correctly, this one is great. I can even use real names for people who share that info with me, and it gets the right person. That's when she doesn't misunderstand me and do some web search, or just say "sorry, I didn't get that"
2) Being able to launch a game without having to recite the entire damn title. (though I just tested, and I don't have to say "Origins Edition" for Overwatch, or "Tamriel Unilimited" for ESO. Still can't get to Halo 5 without saying Guardians though.

Ade

To be fair I'm keeping her active only for two reasons :
- I want to be able to turn the console on and off by voice
- since I'm in the preview program, I'm supposed to do my part and help improve flawed stuff by using it. Especially with trained software like speech recognition.

yeah i get that, especially the second point, but its dropped so far beyond usable for me, I've had to give up.

What continues to baffle me is that Cortana works fine, nay perfect, on my phone and tablet.

Cleve

yeah i get that, especially the second point, but its dropped so far beyond usable for me, I've had to give up.

What continues to baffle me is that Cortana works fine, nay perfect, on my phone and tablet.

Same. I was kind of excited when I heard it was coming to xbox. It's always been great on my phone, but on PC all she does is mishear things and open a web browser randomly. It's awful.

Alx

Exactly, I too was excited by the perspective of doing standard natural language stuff that I already do on my phone with the same Cortana. But I have no use for a web search on "I want to listen to music from the Beatles". :/

I can feel your pain using Brazilian Cortana on mobile and Pc (it's not available yet on xbone). She always do web searches even when you ask exactly an example she gave you of the kind of commands you could give. She doesn't understand our time, we usually say 9 and half to say for in this example 9:30, but when I try to set up a reminder (because appointments flat out won't work) even though she shows the correct time the reminder is created with a default time.

Honestly I don't know how can they fuck up this badly. They said they took their time to release her here because they were making sure she understood our complex language, but she doesn't. And not even the examples she tells you to try not working is embarrassing.

She also won't try to look into my email for appointments, flights, nada. Nor will tell me the traffic conditions to go to work. Oh and she also ignores your msn news interests, giving you headlines on subjects you explicitly removed from being your interest

But hey, the tell me a joke command works!

malfcn

Lots of new updates..so many I don't know.

Last night I installed Catalyst. When I woke up the last 5 games recently updated were MGSV, Dead Rising 3, Arkham Knight, IDARB abd Castle Crashers.

What's up?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Lots of new updates..so many I don't know.

Last night I installed Catalyst. When I woke up the last 5 games recently updated were MGSV, Dead Rising 3, Arkham Knight, IDARB abd Castle Crashers.

What's up?
Errrrr, huh?

November 6th: New Preview build available (1610.161105-1400)

HOW TO GET IT
• If your console is in Instant-On mode and you have been selected to receive the update, it will download and install the update and reboot to standby.
• NOTE: Once the update is available to you, you can manually begin the update by launching the Guide and navigating to All Settings > System > Console info & updates.
• If you have been selected to receive the update and your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 2:00 PM PDT 11/7/2016, you will be prompted to do so at that time.

DETAILS
OS version released: rs1_xbox_rel_1610.161105-1400
Available: 6:00PM PDT 11/6 (2:00AM GMT 7/11)

FIXES:
• Home
Performance fixes when navigating Home.

https://forums.xbox.com/en-US/thread/6c1c8a80-3594-4576-837e-5c5652e38fe7

EBE

Did you have any problems with the last update by chance?

Mine was interrupted and took a while for the update to install (10 min?)

nope. never had any problems with updates in all my time in the preview program, which has been since the beginning.

the download wasnt a big deal it just confused me into thinking a larger update with new features was being pushed out

naitosan

Got myself moved to 1610. Guess the guy on Reddit got many PMs on moving 1608 to 1610 so it took a while. Hope you guys who are stuck in 1608 will get bump up to 1610 soon.

Theorry

New insider UI.

7l0egfeh9up7oiv2wh9obiksst.jpg

Yoday

They just released new walkthrough vids on YT about Clubs and LFG. So release is probably soon (this week)
Yeah, sounds like it's soon. I was hoping for another update or two first, as I still get a lot of UI crashes when pressing the home button. Everything else is great, but pressing the home button fails and resets the UI a significant amount of the time.

Akai__

Why can't I still turn on my console with the controller anymore, if I go into standby mode?

Both with a wireless and wired controller? I submitted this easily 5 months ago.

malfcn

My dashboard is starting to run like poop. Most likely need a hard reboot.

Alot of the time when I press the home nexus button it will refresh the whole dash. Last night I pressed home about 5 times with no response. Then I got an "error can't do that right now" pop up. Reported it..

Alx

It's neat when you complete surveys and it gives you points withthe video game chime. lol much much better than before.

Yes (I finally managed to start the new UI), it's a nice touch. :)
Although I'm not really convinced by the visual interface itself (much too cluttered), but sound-wise it's an improvement.

malfcn

More reports because voice to text is not working and achievements are unlocked, but no toast notification.

Getting achievements now, but the pop up is blurry.

malfcn

Cortana wouldn't turn on the Xbox. So I used my controller to find only a single square would be on the screen. Could not report because it locked up.

Nori Chan

So the new preview update for 12/03 just bricked my console and I have talked to two supports who gave me copy pasta answers.

Does anyone know the proper channels I need to take to get my xbox repaired?

Nori Chan

It's probably not bricked, this seems to happen with preview updates sometimes.

Try this tool:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/system-updates-solution

And some other info in this thread with replies by Xbox engineers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/3c3s9a/tech_is_my_console_bricked_after_a_failed_update/
When I meant bricked, I meant that it won't turn on at all. Not sure if the preview update did it, but I applied all the solutions on the support without any success

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
You can't rate the updates in the insider app like in the preview app?Or i'm wrong and you can do it?I miss my points for rate the updates :(

Top Bottom