• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Summer Update Preview (Cortana, new Game Library, Win10 app, more)

When I meant bricked, I meant that it won't turn on at all. Not sure if the preview update did it, but I applied all the solutions on the support without any success

What color is the light on your power brick? Try unplugging power brick from wall back of console and disconnect the the 2 parts of brick from each other for a few min. Unplug everything from the console no usb, kinect toggles or anything connected to it. Plug the brick into the back of x1 1st then that back into brick itself then brick back into the wall. After try turning it on using system itself if that doesnt work try controller with batteries next if that doesnt do it plug controller into usb on x1 and try again. Hopefully thatll work for you. Mine acts up and whenever i update or go to turn system on it wont if I have anything plugged into it but as long as I have nothing else connected to it the yellow light on brick will change to white and it will.

jesu

Got this Xbox Live message, doesn't mean much does it I take it?

Thanks to your outstanding participation in the Xbox Insider Program, your console has been selected to be among the first to preview upcoming Xbox One updates. If desired, you can opt out via the Xbox Insider Hub.

Came shortly after I downloaded the Halo Wars beta.

I too received this message, about an hour ago. I guess they are just warning people in the first wave to bail out if they want ahead of time? A release time frame would've been nice. I'm not opting out, gimme dat update!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Finally disabled Cortana - Xbox commands are like 10 times faster and responsive. What were they thinking?!

Alx

Finally disabled Cortana - Xbox commands are like 10 times faster and responsive. What were they thinking?!

I'm tempted to do it every time a command comes out wrong or takes too much time. But that also disables the on/off commands, right ? If I could go back to the full "Xbox ***" way, I would.

EvB

I still occasionally have the problem of :

"Hey Cortana, go to Hulu Plus"
"Did you want me to search for that?"

"NO!"

Cortana : go to forza horizon 3

Brings up bing search "Forza Horizon Free"

I just wish you could disable the bing search in edge, I'm never going to search the internet on my Xbox

JaggedSac

I'm tempted to do it every time a command comes out wrong or takes too much time. But that also disables the on/off commands, right ? If I could go back to the full "Xbox ***" way, I would.

No, Xbox on and Xbox turn off are there without Cortana.

Alx

No, Xbox on and Xbox turn off are there without Cortana.

Good to know. I'll wait for the next update to see if they managed to somehow fix Cortana, but if not it will be back to the old commands.
Still bitter about the missed opportunity. Amazon is everywhere with Alexa, and MS still has Cortana on Xbox at 2014 standards.

Shylock

I still occasionally have the problem of :

"Hey Cortana, go to Hulu Plus"
"Did you want me to search for that?"

"NO!"

"Go to" has always been an issue with me and Cortana. I don't know why, but "start" seems to at least keep me out of bing hell (ok, not completely, but it's better)

Literally the only reason I haven't switched back yet is some vain hope that they'll actually get around to using the telemetry failed responses provide to make it quicker and more accurate.

No luck yet tho.

Alx

Literally the only reason I haven't switched back yet is some vain hope that they'll actually get around to using the telemetry failed responses provide to make it quicker and more accurate.

No luck yet tho.

I'm pretty sure Cortana will soon be very knowledgeable of French slurs if she took note of everything I said to her after each failure. :D

A new video on the new features.

https://youtu.be/3F7_hacOjPo

First wave dropping tonight for some preview members.

Edit:

- One press to go to Guide
- Improved DVR accessibility
- Improved streaming features (not so much in this update, coming soon)
- New Cortana feature's (reminders)
- New UI for updates and making it more obvious you've had an update/easier to find an update
- Co-Pilot feature - an accesability feature. Essentially 2 controllers become one input
- First wave today, not all will get it straight away

The full details:

https://news.xbox.com/2017/01/23/xbox-creators-update-preview/

There are some additional features also, for example

New spatial audio output settings for developers: To enable more immersive experiences for Xbox One, we have added a number of audio output features in Settings. If you are a developer on Xbox One, the new settings will allow you to add Dolby Atmos for Home Theater, Dolby Atmos for Headphones and Windows HRTF support to your streaming media application or game. For Xbox One owners, hang tight and soon you’ll be able experience even more incredible audio on your console.

Read more at https://news.xbox.com/2017/01/23/xbox-creators-update-preview/#1usOy3O01HP63em8.99

Nice! I am not Atmos ready yet, I will be in time for Scoprio though, and hopefully Devs add this feature to games in the future.

Hero art on home for your current game running if you're not using a custom background is a cool little feature.

Oh, achievement overlay is cool

I use snap a lot. I seem unable to do so now?

https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/823937530676453376

"We replaced Snap to improve multitasking, reduce memory use, improve overall speed, and free up resources going forward for bigger things."

-------
I'm sure MS had solid data on how few people actually used Snap, but it's still a bummer for those folks. (I never used it though, so I'll gladly take a snappier UI in exchange.)

Note that it looks like some features now use an overlay instead of snap:

Achievement_Xbox-One.png

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Shame about snap for the people who use it. I haven't used it since the first year of the console and if it improves speed, performance etc., it was a good decision.

Top Bottom